ADVERTISEMENT

SOURCE: RYAN YOUNG COMMITS TO NU

I'm really happy about this. Watching the tape earlier this summer, Ryan has a motor and is driven to make positive things happen around the basket.

Great choice to come and get tutored by Coach James. The NU staff (and Maryland, and ND and tons of others) see huge potential in Ryan.

Fantastic news. Got in on him early, and he has a skillset that's unique among our bigs. Perfect redshirt candidate.

Leaves a single spot for Kopp/Bey/THT. Pressure is on them, now.

Reactions: Medill90
After watching the limited video of Ryan, I felt like he had more upside than Riley Battin. Curious what others think.

After watching the limited video of Ryan, I felt like he had more upside than Riley Battin. Curious what others think.

Agreed. For a versatile as Riley's potential looks on offense, he looks like he can't protect the rim at the high school level let alone B10. Ryan is a little taller and longer. For the type of team CC wants to put out, I think Ryan fits better.

On another note, does anyone think CC was trying to wait on getting a Center in the 2018 class, but looking at the lack of traction on the top 100 Big men he's offered, this is plan B? An upside big man they can redshirt.
Was originally thinking they were hoping to fill the final two spots with wings.

Agreed. For a versatile as Riley's potential looks on offense, he looks like he can't protect the rim at the high school level let alone B10. Ryan is a little taller and longer. For the type of team CC wants to put out, I think Ryan fits better.

On another note, does anyone think CC was trying to wait on getting a Center in the 2018 class, but looking at the lack of traction on the top 100 Big men he's offered, this is plan B? An upside big man they can redshirt.
Was originally thinking they were hoping to fill the final two spots with wings.
With Benson and Pardon, he can RS and continue to develop and take Pardon's position when he graduates.

I don't think NU has the luxury of being able to count on landing a top-tier big man in a given class. Few teams do. CCC is fortunate to have Pardon and Benson for a couple more years, so he can be selective.

Further proof of this: they offered Garza and Kent last year. So clearly they're going for best available, rather than thinking about filling certain positions in certain years.

A likely redshirt candidate anyway, to maximize his playing time and potential.

I'm really happy about this. Watching the tape earlier this summer, Ryan has a motor and is driven to make positive things happen around the basket.

Great choice to come and get tutored by Coach James. The NU staff (and Maryland, and ND and tons of others) see huge potential in Ryan.

Any chance you could link the highlights? I've searched but come up with a lot of false positives. Thanks!

Welcome to NU!

Ryan sure has a ton of offers and from many highly regarded academic institutions. I'm sure he'll be a valued member of the NU community.

I don't think NU has the luxury of being able to count on landing a top-tier big man in a given class. Few teams do. CCC is fortunate to have Pardon and Benson for a couple more years, so he can be selective.

Further proof of this: they offered Garza and Kent last year. So clearly they're going for best available, rather than thinking about filling certain positions in certain years.

A likely redshirt candidate anyway, to maximize his playing time and potential.

Offering Garza and Kent is good evidence against my argument. I was just making an observation from CC early on focusing on lead guards and wings for 2018 and big men for 2019 (Okoro, Days , Stewart). Im making an assumption that Collins was banking on getting a top 100 big man in 2019, offering immediate playing time with only Benson on the rester. But it seems as though we're not getting interest from any of them so they offered Ryan Young after the fact as a red shirt project.

had the additional thought that because AJ Turner has shown promise they felt comfortable bringing in another 5, wing is still important but they have a little breathing room

Reactions: vmloza34
Meh - a 2* (or NR) w/ offers mostly from the Ivies or Patriot league type schools.

Nothing to get excited about...

Meh - a 2* (or NR) w/ offers mostly from the Ivies or Patriot league type schools.

Is italics some code you use for sarcasm? Or, trolling for sport?

^ The former (as some here are a bit too infatuated with star ratings and rankings).

Was going to include "this seems more like a BC recruit than a CC recruit" - but didn't want to ruffle too many feathers.

^ The former (as some here are a bit too infatuated with star ratings and rankings).

Was going to include "this seems more like a BC recruit than a CC recruit" - but didn't want to ruffle too many feathers.

I'll admit I'm infatuated in CC's ability to develop talent.

He got a Maryland offer yesterday. Could it be possible that NU got on the ground floor of a soon to be top 200 player? Regardless, CCs track record with big men speaks for itself. Who thought Pardon was going to be one of the better centers in the league as a sophomore? Hes the reason Olah isn't working in an office rn.

Reactions: Medill90
Is RYoung the next Vince Scott? Gosh, when I watched his film it was like seeing double. He moves and jimmies just like Vince on his highlights. VS was one of my favorite players during the Dark Ages of NU basketball. One of my favorite memories of watching NU basketball at Welshryan arena was witnessing Vince "the Hammer" Scott rejecting the shot of that primadonna center on Ohio State by the name of Greg Oden. OSU was ranked #1 in the country at the time and everybody was jazzed about how great GO was. It was pure beauty in motion! Katatonic insinuated that RY is more of a Carmody recruit than a Collins-style player. Maybe this analogy might bridge the gap.

Reactions: zanycat
Is RYoung the next Vince Scott? Gosh, when I watched his film it was like seeing double. He moves and jimmies just like Vince on his highlights. VS was one of my favorite players during the Dark Ages of NU basketball. One of my favorite memories of watching NU basketball at Welshryan arena was witnessing Vince "the Hammer" Scott rejecting the shot of that primadonna center on Ohio State by the name of Greg Oden. OSU was ranked #1 in the country at the time and everybody was jazzed about how great GO was. It was pure beauty in motion! Katatonic insinuated that RY is more of a Carmody recruit than a Collins-style player. Maybe this analogy might bridge the gap.

Yikes. I mostly remember Scott getting taken apart by Alando Tucker. Hoping Young turns out better ...

Sure, we'd rather be stealing recruits from MSU, but does anybody here not trust this coaching staff to evaluate talent?

Welcome Ryan!

This +100 I have total confidence in this pick.

I remember Tim Doyle, I believe, commenting after that play that next year, one of those guys would be in the NBA, and the other would be an investment banker.

Ryan Young is an emerging talent. Obviously, he was starting to attract interest of power 5 schools if Maryland offered yesterday. Anyone factor was that another 4/5 spot player in Gavin Skelly is graduating and NU needs some depth and talent in the front court. No this is CC talent evaluation which is no where analogous to BC talent. Get a clue of what is going on at NU. When NU wins 24 plus games this year, there will be more quality recruits to come in 2019. Lastly, I am glad CC's coaching staff had enough time to recruit Young when there is the mysterious 13th scholarship available for a grad transfer for 2017.

He got a Maryland offer yesterday. Could it be possible that NU got on the ground floor of a soon to be top 200 player? Regardless, CCs track record with big men speaks for itself. Who thought Pardon was going to be one of the better centers in the league as a sophomore? Hes the reason Olah isn't working in an office rn.

I was being facetious in my post.

And well aware of the recent UMD offer - hence my stating "mostly" (also, wouldn't scoff at the Temple offer).

As for Pardon - was really high on him from the start despite his rankings/* rating/offer list (always pay more attention to what the local guys say about a recruit).

No this is CC talent evaluation which is no where analogous to BC talent. Get a clue of what is going on at NU. When NU wins 24 plus games this year, there will be more quality recruits to come in 2019. Lastly, I am glad CC's coaching staff had enough time to recruit Young when there is the mysterious 13th scholarship available for a grad transfer for 2017.

Give me a break; so now you aren't going to rely on your usual spiel about recruiting rankings? lol

As for being a talent evaluator - BC was pretty good at it (problem was, when other schools came a-calling late in the game, he'd often lose out on those recruits).

In this age of "graduate transfers," I don't know that you can afford to redshirt players anymore. I guess we'll find out.

I don't see what grad transfers have to do with it. You can't count on landing exactly the 5th year player you need, especially af NU.

Young is coming into the exact same situation as Pardon: behind two upperclassmen. Barring injuries, I don't see any immediate playing time for Young until Pardon graduates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT