ADVERTISEMENT

SOURCE: RYAN YOUNG COMMITS TO NU

In response to minutes projections,

A) we have never seen Ryan Young play, so I will withhold judgment on the number of minutes that he will play;
B) you need depth at all positions and in light of possible injuries particularly with big guys, it is important to have a number of big guys who can play. Big guys are likely to have foot injuries (see Olah on Van Zegeren). Pardon had a hand injury last year after battling John Collins of Wake Forest, future NBA first round pick;
C) Also, in tournament situations, it is likely that refs blow the whistle a lot (see Gonzaga v. UNC in last year's championship game). Center can easily get into foul problems, so to have extra quality bigs is critical in tournament games (Big 10 tourney and NCAA tourney).

This staff is very good at pin pointing emerging talent or talent with high ceilings like Pardon.

Ryan Young only weighs 210? That is what I weigh- and I am only 6'2"! I see this young man as a perfect redshirt candidate. Let's let him take a year to get strong, get coached up by some of the best in the business, fill in and adjust to his frame, get more coordinated, and get ready to face and bang bodies with the mammoths in the BIG for his career at NU. Pardon and Benson give us two legit stud big men for this coming 17'-18' season. This gives us the leeway to let this young man RY to develop and rs. And I think he will someday be a good player for us.

Ryan Young only weighs 210? That is what I weigh- and I am only 6'2"! I see this young man as a perfect redshirt candidate. Let's let him take a year to get strong, get coached up by some of the best in the business, fill in and adjust to his frame, get more coordinated, and get ready to face and bang bodies with the mammoths in the BIG for his career at NU. Pardon and Benson give us two legit stud big men for this coming 17'-18' season. This gives us the leeway to let this young man RY to develop and rs. And I think he will someday be a good player for us.

I think that weight stat is pretty out of date. Just check the photo he posted with the coaches to announce his commitment. He has already filled out some and looks to have a frame capable of adding more strength. He'll be fine.

Is RYoung the next Vince Scott? Gosh, when I watched his film it was like seeing double. He moves and jimmies just like Vince on his highlights. VS was one of my favorite players during the Dark Ages of NU basketball. One of my favorite memories of watching NU basketball at Welshryan arena was witnessing Vince "the Hammer" Scott rejecting the shot of that primadonna center on Ohio State by the name of Greg Oden. OSU was ranked #1 in the country at the time and everybody was jazzed about how great GO was. It was pure beauty in motion! Katatonic insinuated that RY is more of a Carmody recruit than a Collins-style player. Maybe this analogy might bridge the gap.
For what it's worth, I was told by someone very close to Scott that he never played facing the basket in high school, yet that's how Carmody used him. Maybe if he was allowed to play down low with his back to the basket, his overall career at NU might have turned out better. Coaching matters.

In response to minutes projections,

A) we have never seen Ryan Young play, so I will withhold judgment on the number of minutes that he will play;
B) you need depth at all positions and in light of possible injuries particularly with big guys, it is important to have a number of big guys who can play. Big guys are likely to have foot injuries (see Olah on Van Zegeren). Pardon had a hand injury last year after battling John Collins of Wake Forest, future NBA first round pick;
C) Also, in tournament situations, it is likely that refs blow the whistle a lot (see Gonzaga v. UNC in last year's championship game). Center can easily get into foul problems, so to have extra quality bigs is critical in tournament games (Big 10 tourney and NCAA tourney).

This staff is very good at pin pointing emerging talent or talent with high ceilings like Pardon.

Spot on Walker Fan. Emerging talents dot the roster from top to bottom. Exactly what an emerging program like NU needs to zero in on.

Young is remarkably skilled for a young big, whether it be at the 4 or 5. He can go left or right off the dribble, can score down low with either hand and has range beyond the arc. He also has good vision, passes well and effectively battles in the paint for rebounding position. He is not a "reach" rebounder at all. And he shows a high IQ for the game.

Like all young, developmental bigs, he has a ways to go physically. But the frame is there to play at 230+, and that's plenty big enough with his skill set. This is exactly the kind of prospect A-10 programs covet, and Power 5 programs are willing to take a chance on in the right situation. Young fits our situation because he fits the Skelly role, we have the depth to give him a RS year, and his game will compliment the pace CCC wants to play at. That's something Olah could not do for us. He slowed everybody down. Pardon doesn't do that, which is a big reason he has been successful. Young has a chance to be a strong contributor a couple of years from now.

GOUNUII

I don't see what grad transfers have to do with it. You can't count on landing exactly the 5th year player you need, especially af NU.

Young is coming into the exact same situation as Pardon: behind two upperclassmen. Barring injuries, I don't see any immediate playing time for Young until Pardon graduates.
Of course, in some places he is listed as a Center and in others as a PF. Maybe it is a replacement for the versatility of a Skelly. I remember when Skelly verballed and being excited because he was the first prototypical PF we had gotten since Hardy. I felt then and still do that he was a very important recruit. While he had no real P5 offers, he had offers from basically every MAC program. I never understood why we had not gotten such guys before.

Crawford, Sanjay and Tre all stayed for 5 years even though they graduated in 4.............

Eschmeyer stayed for 8 years;)
Esch was here for a long time but I think it was only about 6 years. That the guys listed stayed does not mean that in the future guys will not move on.

Reactions: Inovacat
Let's just say there is an in shape 210 and your 210. He still has a senior year to go through and there is the weight room.

Reactions: mickbula
Esch was here for a long time but I think it was only about 6 years.

Battery check!

Hyperbole+Meter+3.JPG

Ryan Young is an emerging talent. Obviously, he was starting to attract interest of power 5 schools if Maryland offered yesterday. Anyone factor was that another 4/5 spot player in Gavin Skelly is graduating and NU needs some depth and talent in the front court. No this is CC talent evaluation which is no where analogous to BC talent. Get a clue of what is going on at NU. When NU wins 24 plus games this year, there will be more quality recruits to come in 2019. Lastly, I am glad CC's coaching staff had enough time to recruit Young when there is the mysterious 13th scholarship available for a grad transfer for 2017.

Young grew 4 inches from fall 2015 (assuming the listings are correct). At 6-6 he wasn't a D-1 prospect, but at 6-10 he should be successful. He goes to the floor, shows surprising finesse in some of the clips, and I suspect he has a little growing left and can pack on a decent amount of muscle. I think fans are going to like the energy he brings.

Young grew 4 inches from fall 2015 (assuming the listings are correct). At 6-6 he wasn't a D-1 prospect, but at 6-10 he should be successful. He goes to the floor, shows surprising finesse in some of the clips, and I suspect he has a little growing left and can pack on a decent amount of muscle. I think fans are going to like the energy he brings.
Probably also needs a little time to adjust to that growth as well. But as they say, you can't teach height.

Just watched a few of Young's videos. I like him. He's got some nice skills for a 6'10" rising senior. Underrated zero-star at the moment. That will change.

He had a fairly interesting recruitment in that, I believe I read he had close to 50 non P5 offers until the Cats pulled the trigger. Of course bkb is a bit different than football as offers from Temple and St. Joe's are pretty solid. It was encouraging to see he visited Maryland just prior to NU (where he was offered) and ended up picking the Cats on his visit.

He had a fairly interesting recruitment in that, I believe I read he had close to 50 non P5 offers until the Cats pulled the trigger. Of course bkb is a bit different than football as offers from Temple and St. Joe's are pretty solid. It was encouraging to see he visited Maryland just prior to NU (where he was offered) and ended up picking the Cats on his visit.
CC is no dummy, he may not end up in the NBA but he could be the biggest sleeper ever. I bet he becomes a force int he B1G before he graduates.

I just had a grandkid graduate from high school who grew from about 6-1 as a sophomore to 6-5 as a junior. He was tripping over his own feet as a junior, but was a much better player as a senior once he got used to the height. It takes a while for kids to get adjusted to the change.

I just had a grandkid graduate from high school who grew from about 6-1 as a sophomore to 6-5 as a junior. He was tripping over his own feet as a junior, but was a much better player as a senior once he got used to the height. It takes a while for kids to get adjusted to the change.
Could be a lot of upside here. Coach James is good with bigs if I recall previous comments on the board.

Could be a lot of upside here. Coach James is good with bigs if I recall previous comments on the board.

NU basketball's strength and conditioning program has been excellent as well. Skelly is HUGE relative to his freshman year.

At a minimum, I think Young essentially develops into "another Skelly," bringing energy, rebounding, and, occasionally, some 3-point shooting.

But he's two inches taller already and has exhibited better finesse than Skelly when he was a junior. Upside could be approaching someone like Frank Kaminsky. Or Ethan Happ with some range.

Happy to hear in interviews that he realizes he need to get much faster and stronger to be effective.

Reactions: seavue617
Collins likes to play 1 lead guard, 3 wings, and 1 big. Young should grow into the big role, and as a freshman should be the third option (or redshirt) when Pardon is a senior and Benson is a junior.

Bottom line is CC needed to recruit one big or 4 or 5 in the 2018 class to replace Skelly and for backups to Pardon and Benson. You need new bigs every year or every other year. Yes, all bigs need development and are not finished products as they are usually still growing. Obviously, more power 5 offers were coming (see Maryland which is a high level Power 5 team now that it has become Under Armour U as it is subsidized by Kevin Plank). Great 3rd recruit and now we can go for our fourth recruit which will be an athletic wing player who CC covets to be a playmaker.

Is RYoung the next Vince Scott? Gosh, when I watched his film it was like seeing double. He moves and jimmies just like Vince on his highlights. VS was one of my favorite players during the Dark Ages of NU basketball. One of my favorite memories of watching NU basketball at Welshryan arena was witnessing Vince "the Hammer" Scott rejecting the shot of that primadonna center on Ohio State by the name of Greg Oden. OSU was ranked #1 in the country at the time and everybody was jazzed about how great GO was. It was pure beauty in motion! Katatonic insinuated that RY is more of a Carmody recruit than a Collins-style player. Maybe this analogy might bridge the gap.
I was being facetious in my post.

And well aware of the recent UMD offer - hence my stating "mostly" (also, wouldn't scoff at the Temple offer).

As for Pardon - was really high on him from the start despite his rankings/* rating/offer list (always pay more attention to what the local guys say about a recruit).

Give me a break; so now you aren't going to rely on your usual spiel about recruiting rankings? lol

As for being a talent evaluator - BC was pretty good at it (problem was, when other schools came a-calling late in the game, he'd often lose out on those recruits).

BC was terrible. Hardy and Fred hill were decent talent evaluators. We lose out often not because other schools came a-calling late in the game, but also because the chump didn't bother to be on campus when recruits visited. BC couldn't recruit his way out of a paper bag. And he didn't. That's a big reason why we fired him.

Reactions: Walker Fan
My guess is that in 7 years EvanstonCat will be bashing CC for failing to land enough top talent to get NU into its 3rd straight sweet sixteen and to get NU to the final four.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and NJCat
My guess is that in 7 years EvanstonCat will be bashing CC for failing to land enough top talent to get NU into its 3rd straight sweet sixteen and to get NU to the final four.

Oh c'mon. It was Katatonic who started up this Carmody crap, AGAIN. It's unreal how some people can be sooooo bitter about that whole thing, even five years later. There's some real gems on Twitter that STILL crap on the program, even though the debate ended long ago, and the change proven to be the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat

Oh, but how wrong you are. Within 7 years CC will have landed enough top talent to get us to multiple straight sweet sixteens and semi-regular appearances in the Final Four.

If he fails to do that, then yes, perhaps you will be right.

How could it not. It appears CC will never make the indelible impression on NU that Carmody did and the present will never arrive.

Unfortunately, it's human nature to be traumatized by pain and suffering and to be impacted by it moreso than the peaks of joy and ecstasy. Scars linger forever, while pleasure passes.

Oh, but how wrong you are. Within 7 years CC will have landed enough top talent to get us to multiple straight sweet sixteens and semi-regular appearances in the Final Four.

If he fails to do that, then yes, perhaps you will be right.
Danny Manning landed a 5* for Wake next year. CCC is behind him.....

Young is remarkably skilled for a young big, whether it be at the 4 or 5. He can go left or right off the dribble, can score down low with either hand and has range beyond the arc. He also has good vision, passes well and effectively battles in the paint for rebounding position. He is not a "reach" rebounder at all. And he shows a high IQ for the game.

Like all young, developmental bigs, he has a ways to go physically. But the frame is there to play at 230+, and that's plenty big enough with his skill set.

Physically (with some future weight training) and somewhat game-wise, reminds me of a center that we are familiar with - Gonzaga's Zach Collins who is listed at 7'0" and 230 lbs.

Hope Young has a little more in the way of hops than Collins.

Oh c'mon. It was Katatonic who started up this Carmody crap, AGAIN. It's unreal how some people can be sooooo bitter about that whole thing, even five years later. There's some real gems on Twitter that STILL crap on the program, even though the debate ended long ago, and the change proven to be the right thing.

Oh, please - like you haven't repeatedly made back-handed, snarky remarks about BC when saying something about CC (a few of you can't seem to say something nice about CC w/o throwing shade at BC in the process).

It's actually you guys who can't seem to get over it.

And here, my inclusion of a BC remark was tongue-in-cheek - and totally ancillary to the point I was making (that certain posters here are too enthralled w/ star ratings and national rankings).

And why would I be bitter?

I like CC (stated in his 1st year before entering the B1G slate that I could envision him staying long-term) and stated that I prefer a defensive-oriented coach (holds true for FB as well).

Last edited:
Physically (with some future weight training) and somewhat game-wise, reminds me of a center that we are familiar with - Gonzaga's Zach Collins who is listed at 7'0" and 230 lbs.

When you're that size, you don't need much hops to put your hand through the basket to "block" a shot. Grrrrr.

Reactions: Sec.112
Oh, please - like you haven't repeatedly made back-handed, snarky remarks about BC when saying something about CC

Actually, I haven't...not in several years. You're the one that seems intent on continuing this farce. Face it, Katatonic, the debate is over...it has been for some time. Remove the chip on your shoulder and just enjoy where the program is headed.

Actually, I haven't...not in several years.

I can vouch for this. Virginia made the return from Ignoreland in my feed quite a while ago. ;)

On the flip side of the coin, I am afraid that I may wrongly perceived by some on the board as a "Carmody Hugger." (I am sure that my username doesn't help.) However, I haven't touched the debate (save perhaps defending players who don't deserved to be ripped on) for years. I'm all in on CC and the future of NU Hoops.

As Virginia says, "The debate is over."

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Actually, I haven't...not in several years. You're the one that seems intent on continuing this farce. Face it, Katatonic, the debate is over...it has been for some time. Remove the chip on your shoulder and just enjoy where the program is headed.
He can't

Reactions: newscat

Oh, please - like you haven't repeatedly made back-handed, snarky remarks about BC when saying something about CC (a few of you can't seem to say something nice about CC w/o throwing shade at BC in the process).

It's actually you guys who can't seem to get over it.

And here, my inclusion of a BC remark was tongue-in-cheek - and totally ancillary to the point I was making (that certain posters here are too enthralled w/ star ratings and national rankings).

And why would I be bitter?

I like CC (stated in his 1st year before entering the B1G slate that I could envision him staying long-term) and stated that I prefer a defensive-oriented coach (holds true for FB as well).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT