ADVERTISEMENT

The new W-R - Evanston docs

Read it again. You totally MISUNDERSTOOD.
NU can have one million parking spots. That is NOT what matters.

The city officer used the number 6,800 to VERIFY COMPLIANCE with the parking regulation, because according to the official project documents the expected number of attendees is 6,800. If there was a SRO area that would hold, say 1000 additional attendees, then he would have used 6,800+1,000=7,800 to verify that there were enough parking spaces (780 in this example).

So why does it say "No capacity beyond 9,870" on the summary page (p.21) and "Proposed: 9,870 max capacity" on p. 26?

If anything the document reads to me like there actually could be room for more than 9,870 in the building, but the max capacity will be constrained by the number of parking spots.

So why does it say "No capacity beyond 9,870" on the summary page (p.21) and "Proposed: 9,870 max capacity" on p. 26?
Because there are only 987 parking spots!!
If NU had submitted a project with capacity of 10,000 then it would have needed 1,000 parking spots, that is, it would have been short of 13 spots. Hence it would have had to convert land to parking space or include a parking garage in the project. Since this is a 6,800 people project, it only needs 680 parking spots; NU has more than enough parking spaces for this project.
That's all.

Because there are only 987 parking spots!!
If NU had submitted a project with capacity of 10,000 then it would have needed 1,000 parking spots, that is, it would have been short of 13 spots. Hence it would have had to convert land to parking space or include a parking garage in the project. Since this is a 6,800 people project, it only needs 680 parking spots; NU has more than enough parking spaces for this project.
That's all.

The point being made was that standing room could push attendance to mid-7,000, which is well within the allowable total attendance based upon the number of parking spots available. The fact remains that the maximum capacity stated in the application is well in excess of 9,000 people, probably for non-basketball events (concerts, graduations, etc.).

The point being made was that standing room could push attendance to mid-7,000, which is well within the allowable total attendance based upon the number of parking spots available. The fact remains that the maximum capacity stated in the application is well in excess of 9,000 people, probably for non-basketball events (concerts, graduations, etc.).
I'm confused and yes I know some think that a permanent problem. Where are these countable parking spots located? How many spaces are there in the east and west lots? There are also quite a few spots close to the west side of Ryan Field.

I'm confused and yes I know some think that a permanent problem. Where are these countable parking spots located? How many spaces are there in the east and west lots? There are also quite a few spots close to the west side of Ryan Field.

Good question, I'm guessing that is the number of spots in official Ryan Field lots but I don't know. But now this makes me wonder why the same rule doesn't exist for Ryan Field, because we definitely don't have 4,700 parking spots. Maybe it got grandfathered in.

OK.Let me see if I am allowed to answer you.
As far as PARKING is concerned, there could be up to 9,870 people inside the arena, because there are 987 parking spots. That is, NU could have built a 9,870-capacity arena with the existing number of spots.
But parking is NOT the only factor that constrain the capacity of a building!
There are other safety regulations that have nothing to do with parking (fire codes, emergency exits, etc)). NU could not build, say, a 5000-arena and fit 9,870 people inside, alleging that it has enough parking, right?
The city officer checked the parking regulation using the 6,800 figure because that is the maximum number of visitors expected inside the building, per the submitted official documents. If more visitors (standing, etc) had been stated in the documents, then the officer would have added them to the number of seats before checking that the number of parking spots were sufficient.

Felis has been right about not having enough seats at 6,800. The plans are clear. It isnt 9,800, it is 6,800. Amazing how felis gets ripped for speaking the truth.

OK.Let me see if I am allowed to answer you.
As far as PARKING is concerned, there could be up to 9,870 people inside the arena, because there are 987 parking spots. That is, NU could have built a 9,870-capacity arena with the existing number of spots.
But parking is NOT the only factor that constrain the capacity of a building!
There are other safety regulations that have nothing to do with parking (fire codes, emergency exits, etc)). NU could not build, say, a 5000-arena and fit 9,870 people inside, alleging that it has enough parking, right?
The city officer checked the parking regulation using the 6,800 figure because that is the maximum number of visitors expected inside the building, per the submitted official documents. If more visitors (standing, etc) had been stated in the documents, then the officer would have added them to the number of seats before checking that the number of parking spots were sufficient.

Right. The fire marshal might come in and give a number lower than 9,870. Or, he might not. You have no idea, but I guarantee the number will be a decent amount higher than the number of seats.

Since we fit 8k in the old Welsh Ryan with no problem and you've told us many times that this is going to be the same old building, I'm sure you agree there should be no problem getting 8k in the new one

Right. The fire marshal might come in and give a number lower than 9,870. Or, he might not. You have no idea, but I guarantee the number will be a decent amount higher than the number of seats.

Since we fit 8k in the old Welsh Ryan with no problem and you've told us many times that this is going to be the same old building, I'm sure you agree there should be no problem getting 8k in the new one
Look, the parking regulation is that the number of spots must be at least 10% of the number of visitors. Is that clear?
The officer used 6,800 to check the parking regulation because that, 6800, is the expected number of visitors.

If the total number had been, for example, 6,800 seated + 2,200 standing then he would have used 9,000 to check whether NU had enough parking (900 in this example)). He used 6,800 because that is the number of visitors (no SRO, etc).
If you still do not see it, I am sorry.

If anything the document reads to me like there actually could be room for more than 9,870 in the building, but the max capacity will be constrained by the number of parking spots.
Think about uses of WRA beyond basketball. They use it for commencement events for both NU and local high schools using folding chairs on the floor plus the permanent seating. I suspect that's how they get to 9870.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT