ADVERTISEMENT

Throw marshmallows at me if you wish but I do not think Anderson or Jake need to be fired

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
There, I said it.

Coach Anderson - result - (and not jut the OL, but the running back) -

Coach Jake - you can say the same thing. The fact is we are field goal away from playing against OSU or UM in Indianapolis (and frankly it was the defense that did not stop Iowa, not the OL, not the offense, I was in my den with the tv on during Wrigley screaming at the top of my lungs for God's sakes STOP THEM. That's not on the offense.). The fact is the prior head coach did NOT prioritize offense in recruiting. Heck I am glad my neighbors are friends or they would have called the authorities.

There have been times when the offense "turns it on" and we have been like a machine on those occasions.

Hurl the marshmallows my way, but I am not convinced we need a new OC or OL coach. Sorry. Hate to be the skunk in the room. I say keep everyone and just get better.

Last edited:
There, I said it.

Coach Jake - you can say the same thing. The fact is we are field goal away from playing against OSU or UM in Indianapolis (and frankly it was the defense that did not stop Iowa, not the OL, not the offense). The fact is the prior head coach did NOT prioritize offense in recruiting.

There have been times when the offense "turns it on" and we have been like a machine on those occasions.

Hurl the marshmallows my way, but I am not convinced we need a new OC or OL coach. Sorry. Hate to be the skunk in the room. I say keep everyone and just get better.
You’ve said it like 20 times at this point, and you’re still wrong.

Kind of ridiculous to say the defense lost the Iowa game because you give them the margin of error of giving up exactly one medium length pass play and a total of 10 points. Actually they gave up a net of 7 because Iowa’s only TD “drive” came off the blocked punt where they already started in FG range. THAT loss is the defense’s fault. OK. So you would continue to accept a > 100th ranked offense such that we MUST have a top 25 caliber defense to have a shot at being over .500 or better in the B1G.

Reactions: Go Catz and hdhntr1
It is strange--I don't think either should necessarily be fired, but I also will be nervous if they remain. I believe Braun understands the situation and will make the correct call. The offense has shown flashes of being much better than past years--likely the primary reason is Bryant, but he has not done it alone by any means.

Reactions: drewjin
There, I said it.

Coach Jake - you can say the same thing. The fact is we are field goal away from playing against OSU or UM in Indianapolis (and frankly it was the defense that did not stop Iowa, not the OL, not the offense, I was in my den with the tv on during Wrigley screaming at the top of my lungs for God's sakes STOP THEM. That's not on the offense.). The fact is the prior head coach did NOT prioritize offense in recruiting. Heck I am glad my neighbors are friends or they would have called the authorities.

Hey I’m the skunk 🦨!!

There, I said it.

You’ve been banging this drum for a while. And I’ll keep responding the same way: Bajakian is already done. That is not a guess. Anderson is most likely gone, along with Genyk.

We need a new OC if for no other reason than we need something to sell to offensive recruits.

It is strange--I don't think either should necessarily be fired, but I also will be nervous if they remain. I believe Braun understands the situation and will make the correct call. The offense has shown flashes of being much better than past years--likely the primary reason is Bryant, but he has not done it alone by any means.
Sure, we make some longer pass plays this year. That’s what you are noticing. We have a grand total of about 6 good quarters of offense in 36 quarters against P5 teams. Maybe 9 if I’m generous, so at most the offense has been good 25% of the time. Maybe better than the last 2 years, but still overall bad considering how much talent we have this year in Bryant, Porter, Henning, Kirtz and Johnson.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Stand still! I’m trying to hit you, but you keep moving!!

There, I said it.

You've had too many years of Hank bailing out Mick, you think not scoring is normal

You’ve been banging this drum for a while. And I’ll keep responding the same way: Bajakian is already done. That is not a guess. Anderson is most likely gone, along with Genyk.

We need a new OC if for no other reason than we need something to sell to offensive recruits.
And you are in the know?

There, I said it.

Hard to say you can credit the OL for that. They have given up close to 50 sacks this year and a whole lot of other TFLs as well. Anderson has been an Aces and Spaces type of guy. He had one stud tackle play for him for one year (recruited and somewhat developed to being pretty good under another OL coach) and another for three that he was responsible for I give him credit for recruiting but he came ready to play as s true Frosh so hard to know how much to credit him with), but his job is to create a cohesive unit that gets the job done and only one year has that OL been even reasonable. He supposedly recruits well but hard to see other than Skoronski that we have seen it on the field.

Jake is harder to say as his O had to work behind that OL and has really had a hard time getting consistent QB play (partly not his fault as we had really weak QB recruiting before he got here and had to rely on transfers/ But then again he is responsible for QB recruiting and development and that has been a big question mark) He had a reasonable O in 2020 and this years claim to fame is that it was better than the last two. To be fair, last years team committed 30 turnovers and it is pretty hard to put together anything consistent with that happening (this year is 7 with a game to go) We have gone from -18 to something like plus 8 in turnover margin. Makes a huge difference.

Then again there was that call for a throw on first down yesterday that was intercepted....

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Offensive rankings under Bajakian:

Scoring
2020: 93rd
2021: 125th
2022: 128th
2023: 109th so far

Yardage:
2020: 95th
2021: 116th
2022: 107th
2023: 125th so far

Four horrendous seasons. We're so used to insultingly terrible offense that we look back on 2020 and say "Hey, we were pretty good with Ramsey" - no we weren't, we barely cracked the top 100.

We need an OC that is innovative and hungry. I haven't seen those traits in Bajakian since he has been here. An innovative passing scheme would bring in better caliber QBs and WRs. Also, I don't see any reason to keep Anderson. It shouldn't be very hard to upgrade the offensive line coaching position in the off season. The chances of an upgrade there are rather good!!!

Offensive rankings under Bajakian:

Scoring
2020: 93rd
2021: 125th
2022: 128th
2023: 109th so far

Yardage:
2020: 95th
2021: 116th
2022: 107th
2023: 125th so far

200w.gif