ADVERTISEMENT

THT speculation

I agree. Seems like he's doing the process the right way and I hope wherever he ends up it works out for him.

Interesting ...

If this is true, until he takes a second visit to Champaign to visit the new staff, I feel hesitantly good about the Cats' chances.

On the other hand, this site sounds like they talked to him directly, and it sounds he's thinking about a longer timeframe than August.

I hope the kid finds a good fit.

THT's scholarship at NU isn't going anywhere right now. So there has been no pressure to commit by now. That may change after the July evaluation period. If NU identifies a "same scholarship" candidate and wants to offer, I have to believe THT would first get "the call." Iowa St. has had impressive success. But with all his choices still on the table and possibly more to come, I see them only as an attractive Plan B option for THT. Sticking with my prediction that THT will be a Wildcat.

BTW ... Saw the latest film of Dosunmu. Still scratching my head. He and Cohill might be the most overrated guards I have seen in my 40 years of evaluating basketball talent. Really happy we got Lathon instead.

GOUNUII

I agree. Seems like he's doing the process the right way and I hope wherever he ends up it works out for him.

I find the language a little interesting. "He wants to go where they really want him."
Does that mean he wants the program that fusses over him the most? Does he want to be considered the most important recruit in the class or player on the team? Is it just something you say because you are still searching for the tipping point and since that can be a vague feeling of "right fit", really wanted is the descriptor he came up with? Is he looking for the most expansive recruiting effort all the schools can show him? (I wouldn't blame him for that by the way how often in life to you get to have well funded organizations roll out the red carpet for you for a weekend?)

Time will tell.

Well something that I don't expect is for us to be outhustled and recruited by Iowa State for a kid who is likely at the top of our list now and who is in our backyard. Get on your horse CCC!

I find the language a little interesting. "He wants to go where they really want him."
Does that mean he wants the program that fusses over him the most? Does he want to be considered the most important recruit in the class or player on the team? Is it just something you say because you are still searching for the tipping point and since that can be a vague feeling of "right fit", really wanted is the descriptor he came up with? Is he looking for the most expansive recruiting effort all the schools can show him? (I wouldn't blame him for that by the way how often in life to you get to have well funded organizations roll out the red carpet for you for a weekend?)

Time will tell.

... or you're over-reading a phrase that the kid didn't himself even use.

Well something that I don't expect is for us to be outhustled and recruited by Iowa State for a kid who is likely at the top of our list now and who is in our backyard. Get on your horse CCC!

Seriously? Did you miss the sarcasm font there?

Seriously? Did you miss the sarcasm font there?

Seriously, I'm referring to his exact quotes on Iowa State:

"They talk to me so much,” Horton-Tucker said. “They’re the school that’s calling me the most. They really communicate with me the most. That’s something that I’m interested in. They’re actually recruiting me really hard.”

"They talk to me so much,” Horton-Tucker said. “They’re the school that’s calling me the most. They really communicate with me the most. That’s something that I’m interested in. They’re actually recruiting me really hard.”

The article is written by an ISU site by a writer asking ISU-related questions. Of course he's going to get the quote he wants to frame out his story.

THT has been to campus in Evanston six or seven times. I'm sure he's talking regularly with Collins and other members of the staff. I don't think lack of relationship can/would be used against NU on this one with the possible exception of Baldwin's departure.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

This was nicely done by Louie, though I actually lived freshman year next to a Simeon grad and am quite sure it's further than 10 minutes from Evanston ...

Wouldn't it be funny if they were breaking contact rules?

Just letting you know Loyola is in Rogers Park and has an offer out..and a current player from Simeon on the squad and has pulled in good recruiting class this year with 2 out of the 5 Trib all-staters, one from Whitney Young as well as 4 star Christian Negron from Elgin.........just saying. Also LU was #1 last year in that athletic graduation rate stat....Harvard tied us! With WSU gone from the Valley LU may be a favorite.......Hey a Rambler Fan can dream.....

Some chatter today on Twitter related to THT as his "Rose" team is playing today. UoI clearly there to watch him. Not sure if the Cats staff is there as well. Thought this was interesting:

My bet is they were, unless he's already made a decision to go elsewhere.

Just from our chatter, I think you guys are more likely to get THT than Illinois. I'm betting Finke commits to us, and we won't take both. Not saying that you don't lead for him either way, but just an educated guess.

My bet is they were, unless he's already made a decision to go elsewhere.

Actually, I read a tweet today from a UofI hoops blogger saying Illinois was not watching him today.

Coupled with the rumor that it is very unlikely he ends up with Ayo, and THT on tweet response, where he says nothing against Ayo and the Fire - just weighing his options, I think that pretty much means Illinois is out.

Sounds like whomever THT is considering now, it does not include anyone Ayo has a offer from or is considering. Add on the whole very likely to stay close to home, his mother (as a teacher) and his focus on an education, his deep familiarity with NU and the staff even sans Baldwin, his friendship with (and full court press from) Lathon ( anyone know what his relationship with Nance, if any?), I'd say that he is a heavy NU lean and ours to lose. I'd be shocked if he isn't a Cat.

I know I've said it earlier, but I want him more than anyone in this class. He's a game changer for us. I don't care about his ranking, but the kid flat out balls.

I've seen him ranked as low as #6 in the State, but recently seeing him #1 or #2. I think he's close to a lock for us. Want Kopp or Bey to finish things off.

I've seen him ranked as low as #6 in the State, but recently seeing him #1 or #2. I think he's close to a lock for us. Want Kopp or Bey to finish things off.

Hope you are right about THT. I had thought the same about Charlie Moore...

I like that THT believes that he is the #1 player in Chicago. Gotta have that confidence!

Hope you are right about THT. I had thought the same about Charlie Moore...

I like that THT believes that he is the #1 player in Chicago. Gotta have that confidence!

#1 in Illinois.

Actually, I read a tweet today from a UofI hoops blogger saying Illinois was not watching him today.

Coupled with the rumor that it is very unlikely he ends up with Ayo, and THT on tweet response, where he says nothing against Ayo and the Fire - just weighing his options, I think that pretty much means Illinois is out.

Sounds like whomever THT is considering now, it does not include anyone Ayo has a offer from or is considering. Add on the whole very likely to stay close to home, his mother (as a teacher) and his focus on an education, his deep familiarity with NU and the staff even sans Baldwin, his friendship with (and full court press from) Lathon ( anyone know what his relationship with Nance, if any?), I'd say that he is a heavy NU lean and ours to lose. I'd be shocked if he isn't a Cat.

Iowa State looks to be a dark horse for THT...they are all over him. Hopefully THT's familiarity with CCC and NU will win out in the end.

I have to believe that Collins and our staff has done everything possible to bring THT to Evanston. Let's just hope it's enough.

We are in the conversation with the best schools. That couldn't be said very often a few years ago. NU offered first which shows that in some respects we are ahead of the game.
THT needs to decide if he is going old school or new school. Which coach has the brighter future?

We are in the conversation with the best schools. That couldn't be said very often a few years ago. NU offered first which shows that in some respects we are ahead of the game.
THT needs to decide if he is going old school or new school. Which coach has the brighter future?

Being in the conversation isn't a win, nor is being the first to offer good players.

No...but it shows that CCC has a good eye for talent.
True and it also shows that he and his staff are relentless recruiters. watching their targeted recruiters at summer basketball camps and tournaments as well be available to show these young men, with interest in attending NU the facilities and campus.

True and it also shows that he and his staff are relentless recruiters. watching their targeted recruiters at summer basketball camps and tournaments as well be available to show these young men, with interest in attending NU the facilities and campus.

That means they're doing their job, not necessarily that they're "relentless."

Being in the conversation isn't a win, nor is being the first to offer good players.
Exactly! When we're the last one to offer, and the other schools with offers out say, 'Uh, oh, Collins just offered," then we'll know we've made it.

Three or four weeks ago (don't quote me), I saw an interview with THT where they asked him the usual questions about programs and timeframe. He rattled off several schools with a tad bit of emphasis on Northwestern. The statement that caught my ear about his timeframe was something along the lines of, "and we'll see who else comes in." So even a month ago, his eyes were wandering.

I don't blame the kid, but from a Northwestern standpoint, that's not great that he's looking beyond the six or seven programs he's been connected with. I think we're at the point where he's going to see who else comes in, and it starts with MSU.

If his decision comes by the end of summer, I'm cautiously optimistic for the Cats. If it goes into October ... don't ask.

Good for THT. Is there anything better than several good options for an important decision?

Three or four weeks ago (don't quote me), I saw an interview with THT where they asked him the usual questions about programs and timeframe. He rattled off several schools with a tad bit of emphasis on Northwestern. The statement that caught my ear about his timeframe was something along the lines of, "and we'll see who else comes in." So even a month ago, his eyes were wandering.

I don't blame the kid, but from a Northwestern standpoint, that's not great that he's looking beyond the six or seven programs he's been connected with. I think we're at the point where he's going to see who else comes in, and it starts with MSU.

If his decision comes by the end of summer, I'm cautiously optimistic for the Cats. If it goes into October ... don't ask.

Good for THT. Is there anything better than several good options for an important decision?

He's an uncommitted basketball recruit. Of course his eyes are wandering. He would be committed somewhere if he were completely sold on that program.

Reactions: NU Houston
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT