ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Drafted!

I'll be interested to see what Trevor can do with a decent offensive line and receivers who can catch. (What went wrong last year had very little to do with him.) John Elway just tweeted, "Trevor Siemian had a productive career as a quarterback at Northwestern. He has raw talent and we think he will develop nicely." One of only seven QBs drafted this year.

Last edited:
Wow. Like Trevor, but didn't think he had a chance to be drafted. Glad I was incorrect!

this is pretty incriminating of the northwestern coaching or the surrounding talent. 7th qb in the draft was arguably not among top 7 college qbs in his own conference

this is pretty incriminating of the northwestern coaching or the surrounding talent. 7th qb in the draft was arguably not among top 7 college qbs in his own conference
Probably a combination of both of the above. But congratulations to Trevor, he was a solid player at NU and hopefully can contribute to the Broncos!

I think this says a hell of a lot about the coaches who got him to be a drafted qb and also about the negative talent on the line and wr

I'll be interested to see what Trevor can do with a decent offensive line and receivers who can catch. (What went wrong last year had very little to do with him.) John Elway just tweeted, "Trevor Siemian had a productive career as a quarterback at Northwestern. He has raw talent and we think he will develop nicely." One of only seven QBs drafted this year.

This - always stated that TS probably would have put up some big nos. if he had an O-line and receiving corps like what Cook has had w/ MSU, and he probably would have put up bigger nos. at NU if he hadn't been playing on a bum leg for much of the past 2 seasons (which would have allowed him to buy some time for the receivers to get open).

If TS can remain healthy (those ankle/leg injuries seem like fluke injuries but you never know), don't see why he can't be a decent back-up QB in the NFL.

Think TS is just as good, if not better than Orton, Painter, Hoyer and Cousins (with Cook almost all but guaranteed to be drafted, that would be 3 QBs in a row that Dantonio sends to the NFL).

While TS doesn't have a cannon for an arm, he has good enough arm-strength and above-avg. accuracy (despite his completion %) and can make throws that a no. of NFL Qbs can't make consistently (like the back-shoulder pass).

But whether TS sticks as a back-up or gets a shot as a starter (longer odds there) will depend most of all on his ability to read defenses.

TS is definitely going to the right place - having an opportunity to learn from one of the best thinking QBs ever in Manning (and unlike Manning or Brady, TS has a bit more mobility when healthy).

With the amount of interest the Broncos were showing in TS, seemed likely that they would draft him with one of the 3 compensatory picks they had in the 7th rnd.

Can't but help but think that if TS hadn't gotten injured against PU, that he would have improved his draft stock (finally was showing what he could do w/ the offense by buying time w/ his feet) w/ a W against PU and presumably against UI and then a bowl game, or if he hadn't played w/ a bum ankle for much of the past 2 seasons.

There were those here who placed an unfair amount of blame on the O's woes on Siemian or simply didn't think he was a talented QB, but that was just a way too simplistic way of looking at things (there are still those on other NU sites, including the NU Daily, who still think that).

Based on perusing a couple of Broncos boards, seems like their fans aren't expecting much (many thinking TS is just practice fodder), but that's understandable since they're just going by the stats and W-L record.

Last edited:
Not that they played the same position, but the Oregon defensive back who tore his ACL a month after Trevor went just a few picks before he did. Kiper, for what it's worth, kept saying that the DB would have been a second-round pick had it not been for the injury. I'm not saying that means Trevor would've been a second-round pick, but it's an interesting comparison.

Interesting that three of our last four starting QB's have been drafted (one as a wide receiver) but the fourth was the best of the bunch while at NU.

So is the characterization of a three-year starter as "raw".

Trevor played in a spread offense his entire college career. My guess is that Elway was referring to his need of refining the drop back passing techniques and learning the pro schemes. Obviously after extensive analysis the Broncs felt his raw ability and mental constitution were worth investing a draft pick.

So is the characterization of a three-year starter as "raw".

But all in all, TS got maybe a season and half worth of playing time in those 3 seasons, of which, he was healthy for probably 3 quarters of a season.

Trevor played in a spread offense his entire college career. My guess is that Elway was referring to his need of refining the drop back passing techniques and learning the pro schemes. Obviously after extensive analysis the Broncs felt his raw ability and mental constitution were worth investing a draft pick.

Seems like the Broncos did they homework and liked Siemian's footwork (when healthy) and faster than norm release.

Per ESPN -

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- There is a scouting adage as old as football itself, that when in doubt, do your homework, grind the video and in the end, "trust your eyes."

"There was just something about the way he played, his footwork, his release, I liked the way he went about things," Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said. "I went down to [quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp] and said, 'Let's take a look at this guy.'"

"We looked at him on tape and as far as the quarterback position, he plays well, his feet, his technique and everything that he can do is pretty darn good," Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway said. "... So we really felt that he has some upside because of where he was and where he starts and his ability to understand the game of football."

At 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, Siemian fits much of the physical profile Elway likes in quarterbacks. The Broncos also like his economical delivery with a release of the ball that's quicker than most.

They liked it all enough to use a seventh-round pick on him Saturday despite the fact that Siemian is still continuing his rehab. He is expected to attend the Broncos' rookies-only minicamp next weekend.

"Greg Knapp went out and worked him out there, got to know him and felt good about him," Elway said. "Obviously if his numbers were a lot better, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to get him [in the seventh round], so we felt fortunate to get him in the seventh."

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bron...w-enough-to-give-trevor-siemian-a-fresh-start

Forget going a good part of 2 seasons w/ an ankle injury, if TS had been able to finish out the season and play well in a bowl game and go to those pre-draft workouts/post-season games, might have been a 4th/5th rounder.

Last edited:
Per KUSA 9 News -

KUSA-It was the tape, not the stat page, where Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian impressed Broncos coach Gary Kubiak.

On the stat page, Siemian threw 18 touchdowns against 20 interceptions in his junior and senior seasons at Northwestern. On tape, Kubiak saw a 6-foot-3, 215-pound quarterback with potential.

"I think I saw something I want to work with," Kubiak said.

"When you look at the film you see pro characteristics," Kubiak said. "He can make the throws, he's very bright. He went to a school where they had a running quarterback (former Cherry Creek star Kane Colter) and him. They played two guys. When he was playing I really liked what I saw. He played in a tough environment – played in Chicago where the wind is blowing everywhere.

"I loved his feet. He's way ahead of the curve."

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/n...nver-broncos-draft-pick-quarterback/26801789/

A mea culpa from Chris Emma.

http://northwestern.247sports.com/Article/Emma-I-underestimated-Trevor-Siemian-37102912

Last edited:
All this has to say McCall is not a bad qb tutor

McCall didn't exactly do TS favors w/ his playcalling.

And don't be too sure it was McCall responsible for TS's mechanics.

Per Sun-Times

Chicago area QB guru has the NFL's full attention

Posted: 04/18/2015, 02:38pm | Adam Jahns
From pros down to preps

Christensen’s latest claim to fame is Jimmy Garoppolo, an Eastern Illinois product drafted in the second round last year by the New England Patriots. He started working with Christensen as a junior at Rolling Meadows.

Stanton started working with Christensen last May and went 5-3 as the Cardinals’ starter after three seasons without a regular-season snap. Blanchard and former Northwestern quarterback Mike Kafka (Minnesota Vikings) signed free-agent deals this offseason.

Eight general managers at this year’s Senior Bowl sought Christensen’s advice. Four teams have invited him to attend their offseason trainings this year.

One high-ranking AFC executive said he asks all his quarterbacks to see Christensen.

“Regardless of the scheme or system, the quarterback comes back with a much better sense of his footwork, his release, his grip, his arm motion,” said the executive, who requested anonymity. “That applies to any offense. You’re just going to get a better quarterback. That’s why so many teams have gravitated towards Jeff.

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s Jeff and nobody else. … In a very quiet way, he’s become a foremost authority about developing quarterbacks.”

Notable players: Jimmy Garoppolo (Patriots), Matt Blanchard (Bears, Panthers, Packers), Zac Dysert (Broncos), Mike Kafka (Eagles, Buccaneers, Vikings), Chandler Harnish (Colts, Cardinals), Drew Stanton (Lions, Jets, Colts, Cardinals), Kirk Cousins (Redskins), Christian Ponder (Vikings, Raiders), Tom Savage (Texans), Brett Basanez (Panthers, Bears), Andrew Hendrix (Notre Dame, Miami of Ohio), Trevor Siemian (Northwestern)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/531109/chicago-area-qb-guru-nfls-full-attention

Both Kafka and Persa also worked out w/ Baz (when he was w/ the Bears) during the off-season and credit Baz for helping them along w/ their improvement as passers (not sure if Siemian ever got to partake in this).

Last edited:
This - always stated that TS probably would have put up some big nos. if he had an O-line and receiving corps like what Cook has had w/ MSU, and he probably would have put up bigger nos. at NU if he hadn't been playing on a bum leg for much of the past 2 seasons (which would have allowed him to buy some time for the receivers to get open).

If TS can remain healthy (those ankle/leg injuries seem like fluke injuries but you never know), don't see why he can't be a decent back-up QB in the NFL.

Think TS is just as good, if not better than Orton, Painter, Hoyer and Cousins (with Cook almost all but guaranteed to be drafted, that would be 3 QBs in a row that Dantonio sends to the NFL).

While TS doesn't have a cannon for an arm, he has good enough arm-strength and above-avg. accuracy (despite his completion %) and can make throws that a no. of NFL Qbs can't make consistently (like the back-shoulder pass).

But whether TS sticks as a back-up or gets a shot as a starter (longer odds there) will depend most of all on his ability to read defenses.

TS is definitely going to the right place - having an opportunity to learn from one of the best thinking QBs ever in Manning (and unlike Manning or Brady, TS has a bit more mobility when healthy).

With the amount of interest the Broncos were showing in TS, seemed likely that they would draft him with one of the 3 compensatory picks they had in the 7th rnd.

Can't but help but think that if TS hadn't gotten injured against PU, that he would have improved his draft stock (finally was showing what he could do w/ the offense by buying time w/ his feet) w/ a W against PU and presumably against UI and then a bowl game, or if he hadn't played w/ a bum ankle for much of the past 2 seasons.

There were those here who placed an unfair amount of blame on the O's woes on Siemian or simply didn't think he was a talented QB, but that was just a way too simplistic way of looking at things (there are still those on other NU sites, including the NU Daily, who still think that).

Based on perusing a couple of Broncos boards, seems like their fans aren't expecting much (many thinking TS is just practice fodder), but that's understandable since they're just going by the stats and W-L record.

Comparing TS to Orton and Cousins is a bit of a reach with existing info, IMO. Both of those guys proved themselves over the course of their careers. The jury's out on TS compared to those guys. We'll see how well he does in camp. I wish him a quick recovery from his knee injury and best luck in camp.

The back shoulder pass is just a matter of where you throw to and how accurate you are throwing it. It's really no different than accuracy on other passes.

Maybe people were being unfair judging him when he was injured or the WR's and OL played poorly, but the OL wasn't horrible every game, and he had a hand in several poor plays and losses over his career. The OL is made more of a scapegoat by some people for our losses in some games than they should be.

Fans who think TS is just a camp arm are being silly. Denver wouldn't spend a draft pick on a camp arm that they could get very easily through free agency. Denver is taking TS seriously as a potential future QB.

Comparing TS to Orton and Cousins is a bit of a reach with existing info, IMO. Both of those guys proved themselves over the course of their careers. The jury's out on TS compared to those guys. We'll see how well he does in camp. I wish him a quick recovery from his knee injury and best luck in camp.

The back shoulder pass is just a matter of where you throw to and how accurate you are throwing it. It's really no different than accuracy on other passes.

Maybe people were being unfair judging him when he was injured or the WR's and OL played poorly, but the OL wasn't horrible every game, and he had a hand in several poor plays and losses over his career. The OL is made more of a scapegoat by some people for our losses in some games than they should be.

Fans who think TS is just a camp arm are being silly. Denver wouldn't spend a draft pick on a camp arm that they could get very easily through free agency. Denver is taking TS seriously as a potential future QB.
If Trevor catches on and has a strong career in the NFL, It makes me worry about the rest of the offense.

I think this development damns the coaches more than it highlights any brilliance upon their part. The age old question returns - what the hell were we doing playing him behind Colter in the first place?

In a perverse and twisted way, I feel some level of vindication on Trevor, though like others I gave up on him after some very mediocre outings - at least until his injuries became a matter of public record. I was one of more than several who had projected brilliance for Trevor, and could never understand why we had an NFL WR (at least on a practice squad) playing ahead of him. They say it was because of our offense. If so, then McCall and the staff are idiots. You don't stick with our offense irrespective to personnel. You modify the offense to fit the personnel. You also don't give snaps away from an NFL draftable QB to someone who obviously can't throw the ball well enough to warrant being looked at as a QB in the league. Imagine what this offense might have been with Siemian playing full time as a QB and an NFL caliber WR in Colter catching the ball. It would be one thing if our O was a prolific as it was under Persa, Basanez, or Kustok with Colter under center. Then it would be hard to argue against the coaches. It wasn't. The defense was the strongest side of the ball during the Colter years.

This together with the decision to play Andrew Brewer over Mike Kafka, and both over CJ Bacher really makes me question the ability of the staff on personnel, particularly at the QB position.

I think this development damns the coaches more than it highlights any brilliance upon their part. The age old question returns - what the hell were we doing playing him behind Colter in the first place?

In a perverse and twisted way, I feel some level of vindication on Trevor, though like others I gave up on him after some very mediocre outings - at least until his injuries became a matter of public record. I was one of more than several who had projected brilliance for Trevor, and could never understand why we had an NFL WR (at least on a practice squad) playing ahead of him. They say it was because of our offense. If so, then McCall and the staff are idiots. You don't stick with our offense irrespective to personnel. You modify the offense to fit the personnel. You also don't give snaps away from an NFL draftable QB to someone who obviously can't throw the ball well enough to warrant being looked at as a QB in the league. Imagine what this offense might have been with Siemian playing full time as a QB and an NFL caliber WR in Colter catching the ball. It would be one thing if our O was a prolific as it was under Persa, Basanez, or Kustok with Colter under center. Then it would be hard to argue against the coaches. It wasn't. The defense was the strongest side of the ball during the Colter years.

This together with the decision to play Andrew Brewer over Mike Kafka, and both over CJ Bacher really makes me question the ability of the staff on personnel, particularly at the QB position.
Don't think McCall was here when the Brewer decision was made. Two QB system worked pretty well a couple years ago until both got injured the next year. Thorsen and Alviti are the two of the highest rated Qbs we've ever had coming out of high school and we have a five star looking at us for 2017. Somebody must think McCall is a pretty good qb coach..

Don't think McCall was here when the Brewer decision was made. Two QB system worked pretty well a couple years ago until both got injured the next year. Thorsen and Alviti are the two of the highest rated Qbs we've ever had coming out of high school and we have a five star looking at us for 2017. Somebody must think McCall is a pretty good qb coach..

The damning was of the staff in general, not McCall, on personnel, especially QB, decisions. (Read it as Fitz).

I think McCall is a pretty good QB coach. He's developed a number of NFL caliber QBs. But, I question the personnel decisions.

The damning was of the staff in general, not McCall, on personnel, especially QB, decisions. (Read it as Fitz).

I think McCall is a pretty good QB coach. He's developed a number of NFL caliber QBs. But, I question the personnel decisions.
In very few instances did TS prove he deserve the job over KC. By any observers standards Trevor's performances were unreliable. You saw it and so did I.

My take: it is easy to distort history by the fact he was drafted. I always saw that his skill set would lead the NFL personnel to project him as viable in their league despite many struggles at NU. At this point he is purely a project needing to clean up far too many mistakes. Enough mistakes to wonder, as the coaches did, if he should be out there.

Obviously college football and the NFL differ quite a bit in what can work at the QB spot. You can move the ball in college with Colter and you would never be able to do so in the NFL with him.

But face it, neither Colter or Siemian moved the ball consistently even in the year they combined to lead a team to 10-3 (our defense came up big most of the time). And with Trevor alone it was worse.

But face it, neither Colter or Siemian moved the ball consistently even in the year they combined to lead a team to 10-3 (our defense came up big most of the time). And with Trevor alone it was worse.

If your standard is whether we scored every time that we possessed the ball, then you could say that neither of them moved the ball consistently. But compared against the other B1G offenses playing against the same defenses, I would say that KC and TS clearly moved the ball effectively. KC regularly came up with the big play at the right time which deflated the emotions of the opposition and TS came in and led solid drives at critical times.

Add in that for the first time in years we had a running attack that opposing DC's had to plan for and you get a solid offensive year. Not enough for a B1G championship but definitely enough for a very good season.

You also don't give snaps away from an NFL draftable QB to someone who obviously can't throw the ball well enough to warrant being looked at as a QB in the league.

Maybe you have to do this if you recruited a OL recruited and gifted for the spread instead of a drop back passer. Trevor and the OL at NU are not made for each other.

A lot of people who watched NU football the past 4 years were very surprised when Trevor was drafted. He had some very high peaks and some really low valleys during his career at NU. Being drafted suddenly doesn't make him a better QB. He is raw and needs a lot of finishing. McCall certainly had a hand in developing his excellent footwork and throwing mechanics that the Broncos praised. Other deficiencies perhaps could've been addressed, or at least mitigated by better plays or formations, which is on the coaching staff. But I don't think it's right to look back in hindsight and say that we had an NFL QB on our roster and build arguments on that basis.

Per KUSA 9 News -

KUSA-It was the tape, not the stat page, where Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian impressed Broncos coach Gary Kubiak.

On the stat page, Siemian threw 18 touchdowns against 20 interceptions in his junior and senior seasons at Northwestern. On tape, Kubiak saw a 6-foot-3, 215-pound quarterback with potential.

"I think I saw something I want to work with," Kubiak said.

"When you look at the film you see pro characteristics," Kubiak said. "He can make the throws, he's very bright. He went to a school where they had a running quarterback (former Cherry Creek star Kane Colter) and him. They played two guys. When he was playing I really liked what I saw. He played in a tough environment – played in Chicago where the wind is blowing everywhere.

"I loved his feet. He's way ahead of the curve."

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/n...nver-broncos-draft-pick-quarterback/26801789/

A mea culpa from Chris Em

http://northwestern.247sports.com/Article/Emma-I-underestimated-Trevor-Siem

Ha ha. Most people still don't get that the "Windy City" label has nothing to do with weather (nor Glades' posting).

He had problems with his ankles for a big part of his time. Hard to get much production under those circumstances. While other areas may have hindered him, (dropped passes and weaker OL) his injuries were the biggest detriment. And it would also seem that McCall would be a pretty fair QB coach as Broncos seemed to like a lot of the way he was coached. Footwork, quick and efficient release, etc. I did think that we did need at least one new coach to shake things up but we will see this year.

Pretty sure it was...if not more so. 2011 and 2012 were two of the best offensive seasons we've had. The defense was good in 2012, which meant 10 wins. Also, in 2010, the QB that led us to the most points in a game that year was Colter against Texas Tech.

Statistically, maybe 2005 was better on the offensive side than 2012, but it's a close race. Either way, I know which season I'd like to have over and over again.

Pretty easy to take a flyer with a 7th round pick when you have 3 of them. It was a solid way to use one of them. If they had only had one, as most teams did, I would guess they might have tried for him as an UFA. But having a surplus of picks, it was easier to use it to get the UFA they wanted rather than take a chance

The coaches primary job was to give NU the best chance to win and KC added a dimension that TS could not. Playing KC gave us a better chance to win so he played.

Whoosh! You missed my point entirely.

Whoosh, yeah, I missed it too. Can you please elaborate? Trevor was in fact an NFL draftable QB. Which is the point I made, and which I find difficult to dispute. If he makes the Denver roster, then yes, he will be an NFL caliber QB. What was your point exactly then?

Whoosh, yeah, I missed it too. Can you please elaborate? Trevor was in fact an NFL draftable QB. Which is the point I made, and which I find difficult to dispute. If he makes the Denver roster, then yes, he will be an NFL caliber QB. What was your point exactly then?
Good, I thought I was losing my mind.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT