ADVERTISEMENT

TrueNU Portfolio/Picture

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
I got this "thank you " portfolio from TrueNU with an autographed picture of some of the athletes that participate. There are Boo, Izzy, Ty Berry, others I don't know, and, my personal favorite, Caileigh Walsh.

Jacob and Co seem to be doing what they can to compete until the big.donors step up.

I got this "thank you " portfolio from TrueNU with an autographed picture of some of the athletes that participate. There are Boo, Izzy, Ty Berry, others I don't know, and, my personal favorite, Caileigh Walsh.

Jacob and Co seem to be doing what they can to compete until the big.donors step up.
I think they'll be getting help sooner than later.

Feels like next 12-24 months is pivotal for NCAA (and especially major conferences like Big Ten/SEC) to figure out how to pay players.

Otherwise a bunch of court smackdowns are coming and players will be determined to be employees regardless.

And with stadium finally underway, major donors will likely turn to NIL when NU starts granting revenue shares/pay to players.

I think they'll be getting help sooner than later.

Feels like next 12-24 months is pivotal for NCAA (and especially major conferences like Big Ten/SEC) to figure out how to pay players.

Otherwise a bunch of court smackdowns are coming and players will be determined to be employees regardless.

And with stadium finally underway, major donors will likely turn to NIL when NU starts granting revenue shares/pay to players.
The weird thing about it is how relatively small the number is needed to compete. If the stadium donors did a side donation of, say, TWO percent of their stadium donation, we'd be mid tier competitive with the Iowas of the world.

The weird thing about it is how relatively small the number is needed to compete. If the stadium donors did a side donation of, say, TWO percent of their stadium donation, we'd be mid tier competitive with the Iowas of the world.
Yeah, that's also why I'm so bullish on us being able to compete with the new stadium setup + media deal (starts kicking our conference distribution above $70 million as soon as next fiscal year with expanded CFP). And of course once donors can turn their eyes to NIL after finishing the stadium rebuild.

Our AD budget should be around $160+ million in annual revenue once the new stadium is built and we have the football games/concerts going (somewhere around $40+ million higher than now). That would put us in the top 25-30 for sure, perhaps higher.

Ohio State basically bought a year of a team of pre-NFL players for somewhere around $15-20 million this year (I know the $13 million number is being bandied about but I think that's a bit low for the guys they got).

It's not crazy money for us to be able to grab some high level/high academic recruits that have been going to Stanford or others like it given that Stanford hasn't really been big on NIL (and their sports fundraising has been notoriously low relative to fundraising elsewhere at that school).

Especially in football, there's no top academic school that's big on NIL or paying players. We could easily fit into there and become the "top academic NIL school" using the incoming Big Ten/stadium revenue streams + donor support.

It's why I've viewed the stadium piece of the equation as being so important (especially with concerts providing an added revenue stream).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT