ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson fired at IU

Indiana had become a better football program with him there.

Wow. I thought they made a significant leap this year with a much more competitive defense. They hung with Michigan and PSU and weren't embarrassed by OSU. The Wake loss wasn't horrible as they were a decent team.

Raw deal for Wilson, IMO. Perhaps his purported difficulty in getting along with senior administrators made the decision easier.

Looks like he pulled a Beckman:

"Indiana University officials have fired football coach Kevin Wilson and will announce his dismissal at a Thursday news conference, according to the Indianapolis Star and other media outlets. A former Hoosiers player told ESPN on Thursday that he and at least five current IU players were interviewed about Wilson’s treatment of players in meetings with athletics department officials and university lawyers during the past two weeks. The university sent out a news alert on Thursday saying there would be a major news announcement regarding its football program at a 6 p.m. news conference."

sounds like a treatment of players issue a la beckman. good riddance.

As an adherent of the old school style of coaching where players are not pampered, Indiana knew what they were getting. College football is getting more and more like the NFL where the chickens rule the roost. Maybe that is for the best, but times have certainly changed.

Reportedly, even at NU there were players and some parents who didn't like the tough love/arguably verbally abusive style of coaching. Looks like The Bobby Knight model Is once again not finding favor at Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunker35
Looks like he pulled a Beckman:

"Indiana University officials have fired football coach Kevin Wilson and will announce his dismissal at a Thursday news conference, according to the Indianapolis Star and other media outlets. A former Hoosiers player told ESPN on Thursday that he and at least five current IU players were interviewed about Wilson’s treatment of players in meetings with athletics department officials and university lawyers during the past two weeks. The university sent out a news alert on Thursday saying there would be a major news announcement regarding its football program at a 6 p.m. news conference."

The thing that gets me about this that we talked about him being a jerk to players when he first got to Indiana. So if it was a topic here way back then, I don't get it.

As an adherent of the old school style of coaching where players are not pampered, Indiana knew what they were getting. College football is getting more and more like the NFL where the chickens run the roost. Maybe that is for the best, but times have changed.

There's a line between "old school" and "abusive," which Wilson apparently crossed. Let's wait for the actual reporting/explanation to come out before we start calling today's players sissies, eh?

Very unfortunate. I liked Kevin but also feel for his assistants, whose careers have been turned upside down.

Former IU player Laray Smith says that Wilson forced players to play through injuries. Smith says team told him he had bruise in back. He went to a doctor and was told it was a blood clot. Wilson still pressured to play.

Mark Schlabach? @Mark_Schlabach

Former IU player suffered concussion in practice b4 '15 season. His father said son was rushed back to workouts & symptoms went "haywire"2:37 PM · Dec 1, 2016

@GabeIkard
Kevin Wilson once ripped my buckled helmet off my head, spit on my jersey, & punched me in chest during practice.

I was surprised by this headline. Makes sense that it might be off-the-field issues as they actually seemed to be making progress on the field.

KJ is thier OC. James Patton is their OL coach. Isn't Tim McGarigle there also?

McGarigle is at Illinois (though it's widely expected that he will move on, as Lovie kept him on largely as a courtesy because he had joined UIUC from WMU a matter of weeks before the coaching change), though I kind of suspect that he wishes that he'd stayed at WMU.

Let me be the first one here to say that I'd take his as the Cats offensive coordinator yesterday

McGarigle is at Illinois (though it's widely expected that he will move on, as Lovie kept him on largely as a courtesy because he had joined UIUC from WMU a matter of weeks before the coaching change), though I kind of suspect that he wishes that he'd stayed at WMU.
Thanks. Both Kevin Johns and James Patton are good coaches and theyvwill land on their feet.

Knew that would only be a matter of time before this question was asked.

Not gonna happen.

I suppose there are good reasons but it seems like there was a direct correlation between his exit at NU and the drop off of production in out WRs.

I suppose there are good reasons but it seems like there was a direct correlation between his exit at NU and the drop off of production in out WRs.
Wilson brought the spread offense to NU as OC under Randy Walker. He is a great offensive coach and eventually became OC at Oklahoma before getting the Indiana job.

Reactions: ricko654321
Not surprised that Wilson got himself in trouble and ultimately fired. That being said, Indiana was on an upward trend and I doubt that continues going forward.

Regarding the assistants, we all know that Johns isn't not coming back here given the circumstances of his departure. I would be interested in their OL coach but to clarify that person is not former NU OL coach James Patton. Patton is the TE coach while the OL coach for the last six years their has been Greg Frey, a former OL at Michigan. Indiana's OL has been outstanding the last several years and that was mostly accomplished by developing players that were not highly recruited coming in.

I'm personally surprised by this, but I honestly don't see Wilson ever landing a head coaching gig at the P5 level again - say all the complimentary things you want about IU, they're still a middling team and he is a total killjoy - doesn't have the pedigree to be the head man.

On the other hand, I see him as a million-dollar coordinator and could even see him landing at Texas if Major Applewhite doesn't get in with Herman.

Reactions: Inovacat
Yes, he was definitely a good coach. But as others have said, he ain't coming back here. For other off the field reasons.

Assuming the reports are true, then the move by Indiana is obviously the right one. That said, I agree with those that said above that this year may have marked a peak in their trajectory after they lose him. Think they'll have a hard time attracting someone better than him, and they are in an awfully tough division with OSU Mich PSU and MSU.

Last edited:
I'm really curious if Fitz will make any changes to the staff in the offseason. Seems the biggest glaring weakness is the OL, but it seems that's also the assistant that Fitz is the closest to. He's going to have to make a big boy decision.

Reactions: NUCats
Not surprised that Wilson got himself in trouble and ultimately fired. That being said, Indiana was on an upward trend and I doubt that continues going forward.

Regarding the assistants, we all know that Johns isn't not coming back here given the circumstances of his departure. I would be interested in their OL coach but to clarify that person is not former NU OL coach James Patton. Patton is the TE coach while the OL coach for the last six years their has been Greg Frey, a former OL at Michigan. Indiana's OL has been outstanding the last several years and that was mostly accomplished by developing players that were not highly recruited coming in.
remember hearing from many, including our players parents that Wilson was not liked and hints of verbal abuse were thrown around.

Gotta treat these kids with kid gloves
Dont know if it is that so much as just allowing kids to be safe when it comes to medical issues. Seemed like Fitz got the yeller/screamer Fitz out this year after the bad start but still seems like NU always follows medical advice when necessary,
Fitz goes out of his way often to praise other coaches...on and on about the respect he has for them. I am trying to remember if he did that before the Indiana game? WHich also reminds me Lovie said some nice things about Fitz coached teams after the loss.
I am still guessing that Indy would not have fired KW if they already did not have a big fish ready to go. Maybe one of Donald TRumps kids or someone related to someone at Carrier.

While that's fair, I feel very confident in saying that he isn't going to be coming back to NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT