ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson fired at IU

People say a lot of things in these kind of situations. Either way, I suspect that he TECHNICALLY "stepped down/quit" so that he would be legally entitled to a severance payment (I think I saw a figure just north of $500,000), which he would not be entitled to if fired for cause.
Normally he would be due what is remaining of his contract unless, as you say, it was for cause. But that would likely have to be proven and it could get real ugly. So behind closed doors settlement?

Normally he would be due what is remaining of his contract unless, as you say, it was for cause. But that would likely have to be proven and it could get real ugly. So behind closed doors settlement?

Not sure how "behind closed doors" it could be when it's widely reported that he's getting one-year of base salary ($542,000) without mitigation.

Presumably some sort of negotiated settlement to get him to depart amicably. It's pretty clear he did not go somewhere else of his own volition.
Yeah exactly. Without seeing the contract itself, I think you could bet that the buyout on a 6 yr $15mm contract that had 5 (or at least 4?) years left would have been quite a bit more than $500k. It was a quick negotiated thing to let him leave while saving some face without outright being fired.

Yeah exactly. Without seeing the contract itself, I think you could bet that the buyout on a 6 yr $15mm contract that had 5 (or at least 4?) years left would have been quite a bit more than $500k. It was a quick negotiated thing to let him leave while saving some face without outright being fired.
This exactly. No public release of investigation/admission of wrongdoing means he could reasonably land work elsewhere right away.

To the extent that he is not officially terminated, he saves face. But the circumstances behind this are pretty much public knowledge, and I think there is a good chance that he is effectively blackballed from future HC jobs of higher stature. He's toxic like Beckman, but with a much better track record, so he probably can get a coordinator job somewhere while TBeck sells mortgages or whatever.

Reactions: ricko654321
A lot of folks seem to respect Allen as a DC. However, this smacks of Beckman & Cubit and that was a disaster. Wonder how many years Allen got on his contract? This has to be a step backwards to start with.

6 years

Why was Cubit such a disaster at Illinois? I actually think they upgraded when Beckman was fired.

Reactions: ricko654321
Anyone watch the Tom Allen interview??????? Very intense...Said every possible football cliche in existence.

Reactions: NUCat320
A lot of folks seem to respect Allen as a DC. However, this smacks of Beckman & Cubit and that was a disaster. Wonder how many years Allen got on his contract? This has to be a step backwards to start with.
I think IL was a disaster regardless of who was paired with Beckman. Cubit got shafted when the new AD went and got Lovie, but wasn't it Mike Thomas, the previous AD, who gave Cubit a 2-year extension after TBeck was fired?

Anyone watch the Tom Allen interview??????? Very intense...Said every possible football cliche in existence.
Quite a rise for him.
His first college job was Wabash DBs coach in 2007 (he lost the Monon Bell). First D1 was Ark St assistant head coach in 2011, then Ole Miss LB in 2012. This was his first season at IU.

Quite a rise for him.
His first college job was Wabash DBs coach in 2007 (he lost the Monon Bell). First D1 was Ark St assistant head coach in 2011, then Ole Miss LB in 2012. This was his first season at IU.
He pretty much worked a miracle with IU's defense in one season, reducing yards per game by 25% and taking the unit from 105 in S&P to 37th overall. That's impressive. He sounds like a very good Xs and Os guy. His defense is a 4-2-5 scheme where the extra LOS defender is basically a rover back.

He's a bit like Fitz in that he's a local guy who may turn away higher profile opportunities elsewhere to coach in his home area. IU may have caught lightning in a bottle with this guy. I have no idea about his recruiting skills, and he needs to find a good OC, but this seems like a very good hire for IU, especially in the wake of Wilson's abrupt and necessary departure.

Not sure how "behind closed doors" it could be when it's widely reported that he's getting one-year of base salary ($542,000) without mitigation.
Sure that was all? He still had about $12 million due. $542 K would seem pretty light no matter how you figure it.

Might be a goo fit at nd.

I think he'd be a potentially good fit anywhere you can stick him in a box to call plays...just maybe don't put him in front of the media or let him actually
Quite a rise for him.

This is IU's Kyle Flood...only Wilson hasn't quite built up the program at IU like Schiano did for Flood to take over. Good luck with that IU...

Reactions: NUCat320
Actually, there is basically no legal entitlement to a severance payment unless you have a written agreement for one. Most companies do it as a practice, but are not obligated to.

Frequently it is done to save face and reduce drama. Everyone has friends in the company and out of the company. Papers are signed with a privacy clause to protect someone's or everyone's reputation and reduce the chance of followup legal action.

Who ever hires Wilson in the future will not be able to claim ignorance if he acts up again.

Amazing what happens when you have zero leverage.

He might have more leverage than you think. We have no idea of the details and how "bad" the charges are against Wilson. To have "zero" leverage the case would need to be air tight against Wilson. IU is not going to want a prolonged court case as a distraction and it seems very surprising to me if his buyout was approximately 500k with 12m remaining on the contract. His reputation is already soiled, so the downside to fight for more seems limited unless the evidence is so revolting it would keep him out of the coaching ranks for good. Even if that is the case, I would as his potential employer stay a million miles away from a situation where he "settled" for this figuring there is a ton of very damaging evidence that never became public.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Indiana played the most entertaining football in the Big Ten. Competitive attitude. Based on his release which talked of "philosophical differences", doesn't sound like KW's actions rose to a level beyond. Playing concussed players would be in today's world more than a philosophical difference. He won't have any trouble finding a job.

He's burned any bridges available to him from his previous time at NU.
Why would you say that? Wilson left NU on good terms, the opportunity at Oklahoma was his first chance to leave the Randy Walker nest. He has remained friends with the NU staff since then, along with many fans who knew him well.

He might have more leverage than you think. We have no idea of the details and how "bad" the charges are against Wilson. To have "zero" leverage the case would need to be air tight against Wilson. IU is not going to want a prolonged court case as a distraction and it seems very surprising to me if his buyout was approximately 500k with 12m remaining on the contract. His reputation is already soiled, so the downside to fight for more seems limited unless the evidence is so revolting it would keep him out of the coaching ranks for good. Even if that is the case, I would as his potential employer stay a million miles away from a situation where he "settled" for this figuring there is a ton of very damaging evidence that never became public.

That wasn't his buyout. That's the "walk money" he negotiated from IU.

Kevin Wilson once ripped my buckled helmet off my head, spit on my jersey, & punched me in chest...and all I was doing was tailgating in the West Lot with the Gregs..

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Aren't some/most of those buy outs contingent on not getting a new job so once you accept a position somewhere else those dollars are credited or offset somehow? If that is the case then the dynamics become altered if Kevin Wilson expects to earn as much or more elsewhere and it might well be to his advantage to take the half a million now with no strings attached.

He's toxic like Beckman, but with a much better track record, so he probably can get a coordinator job somewhere while TBeck sells mortgages or whatever.
Disagree that his toxicity is equivalent to Beckman. I agree with a previous post that equates him more to Mike Leech. Some school that sees someone that has had success at both NU and IU will see him as someone that can move an unsuccessful program to competitiveness. They will take the gamble.

If that is all he got, he isn't a good negotiator .

You don't know what else he got. Other people may have been paid a settlement that included non disclosure agreements basically protecting him and the school from prosecution and future allegations.

Aren't some/most of those buy outs contingent on not getting a new job so once you accept a position somewhere else those dollars are credited or offset somehow? If that is the case then the dynamics become altered if Kevin Wilson expects to earn as much or more elsewhere and it might well be to his advantage to take the half a million now with no strings attached.

They are. Usually, the buy-out pays the difference between the new salary and the buy-out amount. Which is why Charlie Weiss was still getting paid by ND even after he was hired and fired at Kansas. Wilson would probably still be getting the IU buy-out money for his extended contract even if he found work elsewhere given that he probably would not have found a job as either a head coach or an assistant that paid what he was making at IU. So getting one years salary is a much worse deal than the buy-out of up to the remainder of his contract unless he was terminated for cause.

More details around Wilson's firing. We should recruit this kid. Former 4 star WR with at least 2 years of immediate eligibility, honor roll student in high school graduating IU early this month.

http://www.wthr.com/article/exclusi...andled-concussion-speaks-out-on-kevin-wilsons
http://iuhoosiers.com/roster.aspx?path=football&rp_id=6139

Pretty sure we already did recruit him once. Not a lot of reason to think there will be a ton of transfers after an internal hire unless Allen starts firing a lot of guys.

Why would you say that? Wilson left NU on good terms, the opportunity at Oklahoma was his first chance to leave the Randy Walker nest. He has remained friends with the NU staff since then, along with many fans who knew him well.
From what I heard from NU's players and their parents, he was universally un-liked due to his abuse behavior.

Pretty sure we already did recruit him once. Not a lot of reason to think there will be a ton of transfers after an internal hire unless Allen starts firing a lot of guys.
The article says he hopes to play football "somewhere" while attending graduate school. Final sentence. He sounds like a free agent, and a potential Cat, and a potential early retirement to me.

I seem to recall reading on this board, wayyyy back at the end of the (losing) 2001 season, that a number of seniors had left their final team meeting whooping and cheering, because they were happy to be done with certain coaches. The reading-between-the-lines takeaway, at the time, was that it was specific to Wilson. But who knows.

Regardless, there is no way that Oklahoma and Indiana didn't know what they were getting with Wilson, the good and bad. And he had a long tenure at the former. So I'd be surprised if his departure rises to the level of BeckmanGate.

The article says he hopes to play football "somewhere" while attending graduate school. Final sentence. He sounds like a free agent, and a potential Cat, and a potential early retirement to me.
And he already has a sports lawyer! Let's bring him in!

And he already has a sports lawyer! Let's bring him in!
it's also been reported that the #2 QB and a O lineman are transferring, as graduated 5th year seniors. Seems NU could use some help along the O line and back-up QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT