ADVERTISEMENT

WR NCAA Pool Standings at the Final Four

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Well, a tournament full of upsets produced a Final Four of pure bluebloods. You can't get much bluer than Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and Villanova -- literally.

It looks like there's a three-way battle for the WR Pool crown going into the Final Four:

- NUCatNap is in first place and will win if Villanova beats Kansas on Saturday. If Nova wins their semi, NUCatNap will capture the title whether or not the Wildcats do.

- MikeFitz who is fourth and has Kentucky to win it all, can win if Kansas wins on Saturday and then loses in the final. (I'm not sure what his prize will be if he wins. Maybe a matching 401K contribution? Oh yeah, we don't have one.)

- Then, way down in 12th place is our potential Cinderella, SmellyCat. He can play spoiler and win it all if Kansas takes the title.

Please check my math, but I think that's where things stand.

WR Pool standings

Your math looks good to me. I had just posted this on the wrong thread:

It has been a wild ride. I see that I am the last in the list to still have available points to add. I also note that above me there are 10 who cannot add enough additional points to stay ahead of me if Kansas makes the semifinals.

The bottom line is that with Kansas moving into the semifinals I would jump all the way from middle of the pack to the top 5 or 6 at worst.

Only two of us in the pool have selected one of the present final four to be the winner. Nucatnap has Villanova taking it all and GoU!Kennu has Kansas cutting down the nets. Even though GoU is now at #12, with the Jayhawks becoming the National Champions he/she should comfortably earn those free 6 months of WildcatReport.

On the other hand with Villanova advancing, Nucatnap would appear to have the lock for holding onto #! where presently positioned.

As speculated above, with Kansas moving into the Championship game it now looks like I am a lock for 4th regardless of what happens between Duke and North Carolina and the Championship Game.

Right now the top three are MFitzpicks in 1st, TVCWildcat in 2nd and GoU!Kenn U! in 3rd. Only the 3rd place holder can add any more points. So it looks like the places will remain the same if Kansas does not take the championship.

in the event of a Kansas Championship win GoU! will move up to first and MFitz will drop to 2nd. Everyone else remains locked.

All agree?

Thanks. I should also say here that my heart roots for NU basketball, but my head has rooted for Kansas for a long time. My curse was growing up in Kansas, but every now and then (1988, 2008, 2022) something like this comes along to make it all worthwhile!

Thanks. I should also say here that my heart roots for NU basketball, but my head has rooted for Kansas for a long time. My curse was growing up in Kansas, but every now and then (1988, 2008, 2022) something like this comes along to make it all worthwhile!

Admittedly, Kansas does have one of the best mascots next to our own Willie the Wildcat.

I picked up this in Lawrence in the summer of 1964 when I attended an Explorer Scout event on the campus of KU. My role was to offer a presentation, complete with projected slides and photos I had taken, on the Great Alaska Earthquake that had just occurred that spring - focusing on the role the Explorer Scouts had played in providing assistance in its aftermath.

Ironically, I guess it was fitting that as our bus approached Lawrence, Kansas there was a twister evident in the distance. That was the first and only time in my life to see a tornado. The only other time I have been to the Kansas campus was in conjunction with an opening season game that Northwestern won against the Jayhawks in a blinding rainstorm that drenched players and fans alike.

IMG_0660.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SmellyCat
Great picture, but I'd be more impressed if you had one of a moose in Jayhawk colors (including a yellow beak). :)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Congrats to @SmellyCat, our WR NCAA Pool Champion! I'm still amazed that he was the only one in the pool who took Kansas to win it all.

Smelly is already a loyal subscriber, so I have extended his subscription six months.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Thanks! I didn’t become a loyal subscriber until I win the pool last year and got the freebie. Now I’m hooked!
I'm happy for you Smelly, but somehow we need to break up the SmellyCat monopoly! Where's the Justice Dept. when we need them?

Reactions: SmellyCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT