ADVERTISEMENT

WRA Final Design Review

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
The Final Design review will be held with the City of Evanston net Wednesday. Nothing really new in the final package, except there will be a big "Welsh Ryan Arena" sign on the SW corner of the arena. Nothing more on capacity either: the comment about "6,800seats = 680 parking spaces" remans as does the 9,870 maximum capacity.

They have made a minor change in the exterior brick veneer, going from "Oyster Grey" to "Toledo Grey".

They switched the Men's locker room and the Volleyball locker room: the Men's lockers are now right behind the NU bench, a much more sensible location. The visitor's locker room and the media room have also been swapped, the locker room is now immediately accessible as the visiting team exits the floor.

The three suites on the main level are gone, now they have "loges" in the N Club area. Gone too is the "Premium Lobby", it is now a Private Dining area (for Willy I presume).

NU now leads Wisconsin 9-5 with 17:03 remaining in the first half, instead of 8-0, and there are both black and white players for NU now.

The woman in the short skirt walking into the lobby has been Photoshopped out of the Final document......and the lobby itself has lost its video monitors and "Welsh-Ryan Arena" neon lights.

https://www.cityofevanston.org/home/showdocument?id=15356

Last edited:
I see the balconies behind the baskets made the final drawings. I had my doubts. That's probably the most interesting design element. I look forward to seeing how they pull it off.

I spent the weekend in Dallas, attending my son's MBA graduation ceremony from SMU. The event was held at Moody Coliseum, built in 1956 and more recently renovated and downsized to 7,000 capacity. Sounds familiar, the arena felt very compact and would provide good sightlines but it did feel small. Fill WR with NU fans and it will be a significant home court advantage but if STH sell their tickets that could be a problem

Reactions: ubercat
I spent the weekend in Dallas, attending my son's MBA graduation ceremony from SMU. The event was held at Moody Coliseum, built in 1956 and more recently renovated and downsized to 7,000 capacity. Sounds familiar, the arena felt very compact and would provide good sightlines but it did feel small. Fill WR with NU fans and it will be a significant home court advantage but if STH sell their tickets that could be a problem

Absolutely. With apologies to Jules (and others), they may have to get a bit creative with it, but I hope they can find some way to at least curtail that. It'll never be eliminated, of course, but at least minimizing it would be a worthwhile goal.

Congratulations to your son.

I actually visited SMU as a high school student. I was in Dallas for the National Science Fair and they took us to visit the medical school there. The highlight was the cadaver room and seeing all the dogs being used for medical tests of one sort or another. Getting to see an electron microscope for the first time in my life was pretty impressive as well.

16e62502-5145-4854-aa9b-5772fad5515d_zpslgj8bqdq.jpg
7d3877b1-410a-48b5-a088-6a2ab77b099f_zps645usaie.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
TCU has a new arena (renovated) that is like 6,400 capacity. While small, It is INCREDIBLE. Can be nice regardless of size. Heck, Loyola has a pretty nice gym. Put the big ten logo on the court and a NCAA banner in the rafters and the size won't be of too big of a concern

TCU has a new arena (renovated) that is like 6,400 capacity. While small, It is INCREDIBLE. Can be nice regardless of size. Heck, Loyola has a pretty nice gym. Put the big ten logo on the court and a NCAA banner in the rafters and the size won't be of too big of a concern
Maybe we can borrow Loyola's NCAA banner?

Congratulations to your son.

I actually visited SMU as a high school student. I was in Dallas for the National Science Fair and they took us to visit the medical school there. The highlight was the cadaver room and seeing all the dogs being used for medical tests of one sort or another. Getting to see an electron microscope for the first time in my life was pretty impressive as well.

16e62502-5145-4854-aa9b-5772fad5515d_zpslgj8bqdq.jpg
7d3877b1-410a-48b5-a088-6a2ab77b099f_zps645usaie.jpg

Thanks FightNorthwestern.

On further reflection I am wondering if that photo of yours truly with the electron microscope wasn't actually taken some months later once enrolled as a freshman at Northwestern. Anyone able to recognize the lab?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT