ADVERTISEMENT

The latest on QB Mike Wright

Northwestern QB target Mike Wright canceled his official visit to UCF and instead visited Vanderbilt over the weekend. According to Rivals sources, UCF feels like they are out of the running and it's 50/50 whether he ends up at Vandy or Northwestern.

From the outside looking in, NU would seem to have an edge on Vandy head-to-head. NU has a big advantage in stability, as Derek Mason may be out of Nashville after another year. Success on the field is in NU's favor. Academically, NU has a better national ranking than VU (9 vs. 15, according to US News), and NU's internship/mentorship programs are top-notch. NU has to have the edge in facilities. Vandy also already has a QB in its class (3-star Ken Seals of Texas). The only big variable we don't know is how big a role the distance-from-home factor will be.

Wendell Davis

So what is the deal with this guy? Is he injured, or could he be saving his runstuffing breakout performance for the Illini?

He was the transfer most of us were most excited to see on defense, yet he hasn’t seen the field on boring teams. Whoops, I meant our special teams.

Strength Coach

I know others have talked the importance of the strength coach. I do think there is a lot of validity to it. We have not controlled the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. I wish NU would make a better investment in this aspect of the program. Not sure if it is all on the strength coach, but we need to start dominating the other team.

QB 1 Brett Gabbert for 2023?!

Brett Gabbert Miami Ohio is in the transfer portal as a grad transfer with two year’s eligibility. Another QB that gets hurt a lot but has a ton of experience and a nice track record. Very smart kid and I think would be a no brainer for Fitz!! Looks like wayne Dennis will not be coming back to NU as he is in the transfer portal as well.
Reactions: nycat33

Coach Long

I just wanted to say I was very surprised to see Coach Long leave. I am hoping that he had enough and was ready to get out of coaching, so he basically retired. Coach Long is an excellent man and a great coach, who players worked hard for and related to. We always had an excellent D line, which always made our linebackers ook and play better. When I think of coaches who impact players both on and off the field, Coach Long is up there with the best.
Coach Hanks, as I said years ago was a great part of Northwesterns success, I think Coach Long is another coach that we can thank for the success we enjoyed in recent years.
I personally think the Wildcats will have trouble finding a coach who matches Coach Long, and Hanks can never be replaced. I wouid imagine Fitz knows who he is replacing JON with, and maybe the new coach wants his own D line coach.
It is hard at times for me to get on these boards because as bad as our team may be, many of our so called fans are even worst.
I doubt Coach Long reads this board, I am sure he is more intelligent than to listen to most of this dribble. But if he does happen to read this post, I want him to know I appreciate all he did for my son on and off the fiekd. I appreciate him taking the time to talk to me when my son was carted off the field for over an hour I want to thank him for always treating his players and the parents like famiky. I hope whatever he decides to do with his life that God blesses him. When I think of Wildcat football, my thoughts will always include Coach Long
GoCats

OT, I’d think: Holocek retires from Loyola

As reported by WGN’s Mike Lowe, Northwestern and Loyola grad.

I presume this is retires-retires, and not “gets paid to coach in Evanston” retires.

SEASON-ENDING STUNNER: HOLECEK RETIRES

John Holecek, the living legend and incomparable head coach of the Loyola Academy football team, made official what Ramblers fans had long feared -- he retired Wednesday after 17 seasons, leaving behind three championship banners, numerous milestones and countless glorious memories.

The stunning announcement came at Monday night’s season ending team banquet, just eight days after the Ramblers secured the fourth IHSA title in the program’s storied history.

Holecek, 50, a former NFL standout and an all-Big Ten linebacker at Illinois, had long said he planned to end his career once all of his three sons had graduated from Loyola.

“I’ll always be a Rambler,” he said.

Holecek ended his tenure with 185 wins, the most in Loyola history. He surpassed beloved coach John Hoerster’s mark of 133 in 2017.

During a platinum career, Holecek’s teams advanced to the state finals seven times (including four straight seasons from 2015-2018). Under his leadership the Ramblers advanced to the IHSA Final Four ten times. He won 9 CCL championships, and guided Loyola to 17 consecutive playoff appearances. He is the only Loyola coach with a winning record against arch rival Mt. Carmel.

Holecek’s final team finished 13-1, defeating Lincoln-Way East in the IHSA class 8A title game behind the stellar leadership of quarterback Jake Stearney, a two year starter who plans to play collegiate football at Colgate next year.

“It’s very sad to see him leave as head coach for Loyola,” Stearney said. “Coach Holecek is known nationwide for his career in the NFL and as the coach of the best team in the state of Illinois. He’s changed the program, and he’s created a culture that will be carried on for many years to come. My teammates and I are very honored to be his last class and something about this year felt very special. Great group of coaches and players that created a special season.”

There was no immediate word on a possible replacement.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Thoughts on 12-Team Playoff?

As I've mentioned around here in the past, college football is the only sport that interests me. With escalating coaching salaries that are ultimately just severance packages, NIL impact, the Portal, and players sitting out of bowl games, I could realistically see myself losing interest in the sport over the next 10-15 years.

I'm very torn and in a "wait and see" mindset for the 12-team playoff. I think the sport needs to evolve even if it's not always to my liking, but I will be anxious to see if this yields more excitement for college football, or if it straight-up kills bowl games almost altogether and narrows the landscape and coverage even more. On one hand I think it won't because if an unranked 7-5 Northwestern was heading back to Nashville or NYC then my flight would already be booked, but I'm wondering if sponsoring organizations/venues and networks (even with the emergence of Fox Sports as a legit competitor to ESPN) will no longer see any financial viability in presenting what are really just glorified exhibition games with marginal interest (especially as players opt out, head into the Portal, etc.).

The other thing I think CFB overlords are forgetting - this whole sport generates media and money on debating the who's and the how's. The absence of controversy might be deafening, because if the 12-team playoff were happening now, no one is tuning in to debate whether Florida State or Washington deserved to make the cut.

As far as how this impacts Northwestern...I don't really think it does. The path is different but equally difficult. Anything short of winning the conference championship will leave us out.

Just curious what the feelings are around here about the shift.

Leonhard out at Wisconsin

Login to view embedded media
Wisconsin media made it seem as if he was staying at DC, but it sounds like that was an attempt by UW to force his hand by leaking that Fickell wanted to keep him and asked him to stay.

Regardless, he's definitely one to watch. Will have his pick of DC options but may hold out for a HC job.

Obviously if he sticks around in college, I'd have to think Fitz would ask him if we haven't already filled the spot by then.

I'm a Big Ten fan, but...

How both Ohio State and Michigan made it into the CFP is beyond me.

Let's face it - the conference absolutely sucked this year. After Ohio State and Michigan.......Penn State? I don't even know who their bowl opponent will be, but I'll predict a loss right now.

Wisconsin? Iowa? Sparty? All in a down cycle.

Michigan's OOC schedule: UConn, Hawaii, Colorado State

Ohio State's OOC schedule: Notre Dame, Arkansas State, Toledo

I just don't see how any pundits anywhere aren't shining a spotlight on this...we have next to no indication how these programs would fare against legit competition. What's Paul Finebaum doing??

A big gripe of mine for the four-team playoff is that they've never made it a priority to avoid rematches. 130 FBS programs...I don't need to be at risk to watch Mich-OSU again when Alabama didn't even play Georgia and for all we know the Pac-12 was full of elite teams that just killed each other.

I'm actually not looking forward to an expanded CFP...it is the nail in the coffin for bowl season and the regular season, but at least we'll be going deep enough into the field to ensure "the most deserving" make it in.

Transfer Portal Question

Once a player puts their name into the transfer portal, the player can reach out to colleges, correct?

If that’s right, and with 1,000+ players in the portal, I can imagine that we have a huge number of players reaching out to us, especially since we’re P5 and B1G. NU will always be a great place to land, and our coaches must be evaluating lots of players right now.

Transfer Impact On High School Signings

All the discussion right now understandably is on transfers. However, with NLI signing day right around the corner on 12/21, what if any are the impacts on signing high school prospects? I have to believe 4 and 5 stars aren't being affected, but perhaps 3 stars aren't seeing the number of offers they have in the past with teams waiting to see what the portal holds? I suppose the net-net on transfers is that they are basically a reshuffling of existing players with some losing out so maybe in the end the number of high school players receiving scholarships remains the same or maybe in the end is higher as some portal players don't find work. Any thoughts? Business as usual?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT