Dec 4, 2005
Pardon
Ash
Falzon

Brown
Ivanauskas
Benson

Gaines

Obviously, too early to judge on Gaines and Rapolas, and maybe we should still believe in Falzon's jumper or the one pump-fake he used tonight (got swatted, but nice to see him inside the arc), and maybe Benson is big and bigs develop slowly, and sure, we like that Brown can look silky smooth getting to the rack about about twice a game, but, yeesh, it looks like about 40 months in the desert between the enrollment of the History Makers and the signing of The Next Generation.

Lathon, Nance, Kopp, and Young will get their chances, and quick. (Turner too.)

I'm happy Vic'll be there to talk about The Old Times, tho.

I agree... outside of Pardon, I fear this staff struck out on recruiting since the first class. So little talent and no signs of improvement.. again outside of Pardon.

The problem has been and continues to be the inability to bring in guards who are stellar off the dribble and who can create their own shot and shots for others.

BMac can do it. Brown is just a bit too short and a bit too out of control to do it. Ash can’t. Lindsey can’t. Law can’t. Gaines can’t (yet).

If we had more guys like Glenn Watson Jr. (or BMac), it would open up opportunities for Pardon, Benson and Falzon. Instead we have a stagnant offense.

Reactions: loyolacat
I agree... outside of Pardon, I fear this staff struck out on recruiting since the first class. So little talent and no signs of improvement.. again outside of Pardon.
Gaines looks like he will be good. Needs to improve his outside shot but good D and pretty athletic. Falzon and Rap have been badly bitten by injury bug.

Gaines can be the next Reggie Hearn, though he was obviously recruited harder than Reggie. I also wouldn't count out Benson for his defense, though he still needs to get a lot stronger. You can at least envision playing those two guys in games that matter. But otherwise ... yeah. This incoming class will be make-or-break for Collins' tenure.

We have been told that one of the strengths of this Collins staff is player development. I still believe that players like Brown, Rap, Falzon and Benson (all of whom were 3 or 4-star players coming out of high school) have a lot of untapped "ceiling" in their development. Now it is up to the staff to get that development out of them. If a walk-on like Reggie Hearn could become a productive contributor by the end of his NU career, so too can these guys.

Gaines looks like he will be good. Needs to improve his outside shot but good D and pretty athletic. Falzon and Rap have been badly bitten by injury bug.
Yes it appears that Falzon has been slowed by injuries but still feel he should be getting a lot more minutes and Skelly and Ash less. He scored 11 points on 50% shooting and played less the half the minutes Law and Lindsey played. Also rather see Brown more, at least until Mac returns.

Gaines appears to have no offensive game. His shot is awful and his ball-handling is very weak. I do not hold out much hope that he will develop into anything, but certainly hope to be proven wrong.

Gaines appears to have no offensive game. His shot is awful and his ball-handling is very weak. I do not hold out much hope that he will develop into anything, but certainly hope to be proven wrong.
The kid as just over half-way through his true Freshman year and you have lost hope. Amazing.

Yes it appears that Falzon has been slowed by injuries but still feel he should be getting a lot more minutes and Skelly and Ash less. He scored 11 points on 50% shooting and played less the half the minutes Law and Lindsey played. Also rather see Brown more, at least until Mac returns.
He has not gotten the minutes to date because he is still affected by the injury. Lat night he fouled out or he would have gotten more minutes

The kid as just over half-way through his true Freshman year and you have lost hope. Amazing.
Sorry... I just don't see him ever getting beyond a role player. Now, we know those kinds of players can be useful, but only if there are other talented parts around him. I don't see this kid getting any all-conference honors unless he makes huge strides.

Falzon misses switches and is prone to fouling. Brown gets beat off the dribble and failed to box out on a critical possession near the end of Nebraska. At least with Taphorn and Demps, who I'd say are recent comps to each player, they did enough on offense to balance mistakes on defense. Falzon was pretty much silent in the second half and Brown has regressed significantly this year.

We've seen kids become stars after not looking like stars before, notably Shurna as a sophomore, Lindsey as a junior, and Hearn as a senior. The thing that strikes me is that, outside of Pardon, becoming a B1G starter-quality will require a *leap*, and not just a natural progression.

Unless the freshman come in ready, or several guys make leaps, next year's starting lineup will be primarily "could only start at 0-3 other schools in the conference" quality, like the bad old days.

It's a frustrating (lack of) development.

Falzon misses switches and is prone to fouling. Brown gets beat off the dribble and failed to box out on a critical possession near the end of Nebraska. At least with Taphorn and Demps, who I'd say are recent comps to each player, they did enough on offense to balance mistakes on defense. Falzon was pretty much silent in the second half and Brown has regressed significantly this year.

You try playing with the injuries Falzon has. You'd miss switches and be prone to fouling as well if it hurts to move. He is taking one for the team since, without Rap we have zero depth. Didn't you wonder why he was out there only 9 minutes vs. Brown, even though he was extremely effective on offense?

Sorry... I just don't see him ever getting beyond a role player. Now, we know those kinds of players can be useful, but only if there are other talented parts around him. I don't see this kid getting any all-conference honors unless he makes huge strides.

I'm the Gaines yo-yo.

o_O A recruit with average offer list

:) Collins' pre-season declaration

:D My exhibition game excitement.

:oops: In-season reality.

I don't disagree with TheC's scouting report. THIS is what I originally expected out of a recruit with Gaines offer list - a kid who needs work.

Right now, Gaines has a pretty poor shot and Brown-like decision making.

Now that doesn't mean I've given up on him. Doesn't sound like TheC has either. I agree you're not looking at an all-conference player without some MAJOR improvement.

His floor: A nice bench contributor with some minor adjustments.

His ceiling: A senior-year starter with even stronger defense, better decision making and just a bit of an outside shot. If you get 10 ppg and difference-making defense, I'd be pretty excited.

Reactions: TheC and LansingCat
I'm a bit worried Rap won't play a full season for us before he gets his doctorate.

I like Brown, but he'll need to make some big strides before he's a starter.
I like Gaines, I think he'll be a nice asset for the team. But without an outside shot, he'll be limited.

I'm a bit worried Rap won't play a full season for us before he gets his doctorate.

I like Brown, but he'll need to make some big strides before he's a starter.
I like Gaines, I think he'll be a nice asset for the team. But without an outside shot, he'll be limited.
He might want to ask Esch.

Reactions: EagerFan
That would be super awesome. I was thinking more about Vedran but worse in all ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT