ADVERTISEMENT

1 rule Vol fans

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
You guys like your team and want to tell us how awesome they are, how they're in the SEC, and they're the greatest team in the world. That's cool. You should like your team and talk them up. I actually wish many NU fans would talk up NU a lot more, but you are who you are and we are who we are. That said, I welcome you here in all your trollish ahole behavior. But let's get one thing straight:

Northwestern is 1 word. Northwestern University is 2 words. One word beings with N the other with U. You abbreviate Northwestern University NU. We are not NW. We are not NWU. It's NU.

We cool?

Are you all in Washington or Oregon?
We are just North of Chicago. In 1851, when the Northwestern University was founded, the United States was much smaller and less settled. You can look at the 1851 US State map and you'll see the NU is in the Northwester part of the country.

1851_Williams_dark_rr000210_PRINT_web.jpg

You guys like your team and want to tell us how awesome they are, how they're in the SEC, and they're the greatest team in the world. That's cool. You should like your team and talk them up. I actually wish many NU fans would talk up NU a lot more, but you are who you are and we are who we are. That said, I welcome you here in all your trollish ahole behavior. But let's get one thing straight:

Northwestern is 1 word. Northwestern University is 2 words. One word beings with N the other with U. You abbreviate Northwestern University NU. We are not NW. We are not NWU. It's NU.

We cool?
tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Got it, but that NW NU thingie is kinda tricky.

Reactions: StarRaider
This is kinda of like another world. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't use paper towels for napkins either?

We cool?

Besides, this year, even the Nebraska fans have to call us "NU," since we beat them.

Roger, OP, got it. Helping to spread the word to all of Vol Nation about NU vs NW. Got a whole write-up on you over on our pages. Cheers!

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/250620-enemy-northwestern.html

p.s. Let me know of any inaccuracies you find there, I'll be happy to correct them.
Looked pretty good. You could add something about how the temperance movement/prohibition pretty much came out of Evanston. Evanston had a big role in women's suffrage too. I gave you a long response on the team. Read your post but not the whole thread. Hopefully, I'm not too redundant.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Looked pretty good. You could add something about how the temperance movement/prohibition pretty much came out of Evanston. Evanston had a big role in women's suffrage too. I gave you a long response on the team. Read your post but not the whole thread. Hopefully, I'm not too redundant.

That's very interesting ... the heart of the Temperence Movement is playing the heart of Moonshine country in the Outback Bowl. :)

I updated the write-up on NU over on our boards to include this fun fact. Goes like this:

EDIT: Here's an interesting historical tidbit, provided by a NU fan. Evanston, the home town of NU, is pretty much the heart of the Temperence Movement and Prohibition. Now, add that to the fact that Tennessee is pretty much the heart of Moonshine country, and what do you get? Outback Bowl = 18th Amendment vs 21st Amendment Bowl! hehe.

Thanks for this!

Last edited:
That's very interesting ... the heart of the Temperence Movement is playing the heart of Moonshine country in the Outback Bowl. :)

I updated the write-up on NU over on our boards to include this fun fact. Goes like this:

EDIT: Here's an interesting historical tidbit, provided by a NU fan. Evanston, the home town of NU, is pretty much the heart of the Temperence Movement and Prohibition. Now, add that to the fact that Tennessee is pretty much the heart of Moonshine country, and what do you get? Outback Bowl = 18th Amendment vs 21st Amendment Bowl! hehe.

Thanks for this!
Pretty good. But think it might be Temperance Movement.

INYOU. got it. I kid. Honestly I look forward to jan 1. Hellofa game I expect. Good luck NU.

Last edited:
We are just North of Chicago. In 1851, when the Northwestern University was founded, the United States was much smaller and less settled. You can look at the 1851 US State map and you'll see the NU is in the Northwester part of the country.

1851_Williams_dark_rr000210_PRINT_web.jpg
Actually, the name derives from the fact that the school was in the old Northwest Territory. This designation referred to the land northwest of the Ohio River. The school's name is not a reference to being in the northwest part of the country in 1851 or at any other time. The Northwest territory has a pretty cool history itself. It was the first national territory in which slavery was banned, was the focus of national growth and westward expansion from 1800 to the Civil War, was a seedbed for the development of railroads and canals, and was home to some of the country's most interesting Indian nations, and of course, Indian wars. Chicagoans are most familiar with the Sauk War and Chief Blackhawk, but Chiefs Tenskatawa and Tecumseh from Indiana are at least as significant nationally. Lincoln, of course, fought in the Sauk war and learned both about leading men and to detest wars.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtis b.
My landlady during my senior year at NU was a former president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). She lived in the house, too, and we occupied a sort of split “apartment" consisting of a converted "glassed-in" back porch and a windowless room in the basement (former coal bin). Rustic.

She warned us that she would be able to smell and sense it if so much as a can of beer were opened in our quarters and warned us we would then be evicted, homeless, and deservedly so . Both of us cheeseheads had been drinking beer since about age 15 so we took it as a challenge, of course.

The day we moved out we put about 5,358 empty beer cans in her trash and prepared to merrily head off into the sunset and on to grad and law schools. She found the cans, though, and called us outside to show us. And, then she blamed the German girls (nursing grad students) who rented the 3rd floor apartment. Said she had long been suspicious of them. Roomie and I were such "nice boys” she would never have suspected us, she said. Maybe she was BS’ing and expecting a confession. But all she got from us was a quizzical look, faux shock, and some serious shrugging of shoulders. And on that day, if chivalry was still hanging on to its life, it totally bought the farm.

Reactions: TheC and curtis b.

Thanks for this!
I don't like this angle at all.... who among us wants to root for the 18th Amendment???o_O

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT