ADVERTISEMENT

We better beat Minnesota or we’re gonna be in trouble

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
I have no idea why it seems the consensus is we’re “in” regardless of the rest of the season. If we lose out the committee is going to “FSU us” saying we are down 2 starters and as a result are a different team. Moral victories don’t mean squat. I’m so damn proud of how this team has played and the heart they show but tonight was a major missed opportunity. We must beat the Gophers or I’m afraid we’re looking at a 1 seed in the NIT.

I have not lost the faith and will be cheering like a maniac Saturday in Section 218. If you are in the Chicago area, spread the word we need as many ‘Cats fans as possible at the Welsh Saturday. I will be buying beers. Go ‘Cats!

I’m not even sure we are in without 2 wins. But 0 wins and we are out. No way we get in with a 4 game losing streak.

• Haha
Reactions: DCWildcatRedux
If you feel like the Cats are going to fall out of the tournament, there have to be teams that will overtake them. At this point, there aren't too many.

Even if they had Berry and Nicholson the Cats would still have been underdogs tonight. We all saw how close the Cats were to winning tonight. They have not lost by double digits to ANYONE other than Illinois. They are on a 2 game losing streak.

They're going to be fine.

Minnesota's bigs are going to kill us inside if Hunger and Preston can't play any better than they did tonight. We'll have to shoot lights out from 3 to win Saturday night and hope that the Gophers have a night like the first half tonight against Indiana where they kept chucking up threes and missing.

Minnesota's bigs are going to kill us inside if Hunger and Preston can't play any better than they did tonight. We'll have to shoot lights out from 3 to win Saturday night and hope that the Gophers have a night like the first half tonight against Indiana where they kept chucking up threes and missing.
I’d consider mixing in some zone to throw them off balance.

I agree. I don't understand why Sissoko didn't play more tonight. Hunger was borderline unplayable tonight on defense.

Minnesota is toast. Nobody in the conference makes sense.

Gophs have competed hard but eked out just a single road win in the conference, at Penn State.

I wouldn’t mind mean-spirited chants directed toward TRAITOR Ben Johnson, more ironic than angry.

Another chance to clinch the double-bye on Saturday night.

(I heard Ben Johnson the Young had a pretty good pro day on the lakefront today.)

With the loss tonight, Minny can't get a double bye, and they won't play on the first day of the BTT, so hopefully they're a little less motivated than they would've been otherwise if they had the 3-seed to play for.

If you feel like the Cats are going to fall out of the tournament, there have to be teams that will overtake them. At this point, there aren't too many.

Even if they had Berry and Nicholson the Cats would still have been underdogs tonight. We all saw how close the Cats were to winning tonight. They have not lost by double digits to ANYONE other than Illinois. They are on a 2 game losing streak.

They're going to be fine.
excited doctor who GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I’ll be there Saturday night, section 115! Ordered a Boo shirt, but didnt give myself enough time, so it won’t get here in time. But I believe in this team and expect a win!

I have no idea why it seems the consensus is we’re “in” regardless of the rest of the season. If we lose out the committee is going to “FSU us” saying we are down 2 starters and as a result are a different team. Moral victories don’t mean squat. I’m so damn proud of how this team has played and the heart they show but tonight was a major missed opportunity. We must beat the Gophers or I’m afraid we’re looking at a 1 seed in the NIT.

I have not lost the faith and will be cheering like a maniac Saturday in Section 218. If you are in the Chicago area, spread the word we need as many ‘Cats fans as possible at the Welsh Saturday. I will be buying beers. Go ‘Cats!
This is 100% dead on. Because of the NET rating, the NCAA will draw the line at Wisconsin (who has no right to be in if NU is not in) and end the Big at 5 teams. If NU wins and moves into the top four, they will take 6 down to MSU bc their high NET. I can see any scenario where a 12-8 NU is passed over for 11-9 Wisco and MSU.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
This is 100% dead on. Because of the NET rating, the NCAA will draw the line at Wisconsin (who has no right to be in if NU is not in) and end the Big at 5 teams. If NU wins and moves into the top four, they will take 6 down to MSU bc their high NET. I can see any scenario where a 12-8 NU is passed over for 11-9 Wisco and MSU.
Assuming you meant that you can't see a scenario where 12-8 NU is passed up?

Reactions: ubercat
Our resume is as good as Wiscy’s, you are correct.

There are too many people who view our record in some sort of cocoon. It's all fluid. It's been made pretty clear that every data point counts the same, regardless of when it plays. Whether that's smart or not can be argued, but that's how the NCAA committee is specifically instructed to interpret the data, if you believe all of the "mock exercises" the sports writers get to participate in and write about each year. The NCAA is actually fairly transparent with their selection process, which is why as a whole these bracketologists are rarely off by that much. So I'd say look at the teams pretty well identified as "on the bubble" and compare resumes, rather than worrying about our place in the conference. That is a factor that legitimately means NOTHING anymore in the days of unbalanced conference scheduling.

That being said ... is it annoying as anything when we lose a game at Sparty that was so winnable? Or that we've had to reinvent ourselves so many times that we would be better off with Edison as coach than Collins? Abso-freakin-lutely

I’ll be there Saturday night, section 115! Ordered a Boo shirt, but didnt give myself enough time, so it won’t get here in time. But I believe in this team and expect a win!
I'll be in Row 11 with the wife wearing my "Cats Against the World / Free Fitz" t shirt. Let's get this done boys.

Reactions: DaCat
Some of the comments in this thread portray Payne as the second coming of Moses Malone. And MN the 90's Bulls.

And suggesting zone is just... i don't know... silly

There are too many people who view our record in some sort of cocoon. It's all fluid. It's been made pretty clear that every data point counts the same, regardless of when it plays. Whether that's smart or not can be argued, but that's how the NCAA committee is specifically instructed to interpret the data, if you believe all of the "mock exercises" the sports writers get to participate in and write about each year. The NCAA is actually fairly transparent with their selection process, which is why as a whole these bracketologists are rarely off by that much. So I'd say look at the teams pretty well identified as "on the bubble" and compare resumes, rather than worrying about our place in the conference. That is a factor that legitimately means NOTHING anymore in the days of unbalanced conference scheduling.

That being said ... is it annoying as anything when we lose a game at Sparty that was so winnable? Or that we've had to reinvent ourselves so many times that we would be better off with Edison as coach than Collins? Abso-freakin-lutely
On3 has us on the bubble

People are nuts to think we are a lock right now. Lose 4 straight and we are guaranteed to be out. Watch happens to our NET…

I'll be in Row 11 with the wife wearing my "Cats Against the World / Free Fitz" t shirt. Let's get this done boys.
Don't let Gagg see you in that shirt, he may think you're tone deaf, and arrange a Zoom call to let you know.

• Haha
Reactions: Smolmania
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT