ADVERTISEMENT

10th coach = Cushing demotion? Please?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Can we realistically hope that with the 10th assistant coach becoming available come January, Cushing will get shifted over somewhere and NU will bring in a new OL coach?

This seems like a decent solution to maybe getting the OL debacle fixed while also allowing Fitz to preserve his kids' playdates.

Can we realistically hope that with the 10th assistant coach becoming available come January, Cushing will get shifted over somewhere and NU will bring in a new OL coach?

This seems like a decent solution to maybe getting the OL debacle fixed while also allowing Fitz to preserve his kids' playdates.
It is a compromise solution but probable the best we can hope for. One problem is that in one season all the teams will be trying to hire the best people. Pickens could be slim. That is why I wish we could make one change before the limit goes up, then you add your tenth coach.

It is a compromise solution but probable the best we can hope for. One problem is that in one season all the teams will be trying to hire the best people. Pickens could be slim. That is why I wish we could make one change before the limit goes up, then you add your tenth coach.

I disagree with this, to an extent. A job at NU is a good job - stability and a "winning isn't everything" mentality - and I'm honestly not saying this to be sarcastic. You come to NU and you have a coach who will never ask "what have you done for me lately," and you don't need to sweat bullets about being fired after any loss or every season. We may not be able to fetch the top 1% coaches but I don't think we're interested in bringing those kinds of guys in anyway.

As for Cushing himself...he's not changing jobs - that would neuter him in the eyes of the other coaches, the team, and anything else watching, and Fitz won't let that happen.

I love how Fitz talks about having the longest tenured coaching staff in the Big Ten as if it's some sort of ringing endorsement of their coaching abilities. If they were great at what they do, they'd be being poached by other staffs. That's not the case with Fitz' assistants

Saban, Meyer, Swinney, etc. all have a ton of turnover on their staffs. I know NU will never be powerhouses like these programs but accepting the status quo for as long as Fitz has while seeing the turnover better programs have makes me nauseous

I love how Fitz talks about having the longest tenured coaching staff in the Big Ten as if it's some sort of ringing endorsement of their coaching abilities. If they were great at what they do, they'd be being poached by other staffs. That's not the case with Fitz' assistants

Saban, Meyer, Swinney, etc. all have a ton of turnover on their staffs. I know NU will never be powerhouses like these programs but accepting the status quo for as long as Fitz has while seeing the turnover better programs have makes me nauseous
I would be happier with the second lowest turnover rate. That would indicate stability with out total stagnation.

As for Cushing himself...he's not changing jobs - that would neuter him in the eyes of the other coaches, the team, and anything else watching, and Fitz won't let that happen.

I guess that is why I suggested one change now. If Cushing is so fragile that you can't reassign him because you have found a more qualified OL coach, you let him go as soon as you can find such a person. Other wise we are just going to get a 10th coach at the end of the season who is low man on the totem pole. That won't change much or be much of an up grade.

I disagree with this, to an extent. A job at NU is a good job - stability and a "winning isn't everything" mentality - and I'm honestly not saying this to be sarcastic. You come to NU and you have a coach who will never ask "what have you done for me lately," and you don't need to sweat bullets about being fired after any loss or every season. We may not be able to fetch the top 1% coaches but I don't think we're interested in bringing those kinds of guys in anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. If you don't want to win all of your games and hire the best coaches money can buy then you don't belong in the Big ten or any Power 5 Conference. If a HC worries about hurting a coaches feelings, then your in the wrong profession. Sounds like you be content with playing in the MAC or the Ivy league. If that's it then ok bring on the Northern Huskies, West Michigan Broncos and the Toledo Rockets.

Do you know any successful business anywhere where the CEO operates with that philosophy? I'm not saying Fitz should be totally mercenary, and there is some element of forgiveness and allowance for time for development. But the problems with the OL have been ongoing for years. They aren't getting better. Time to make a change.

We demoted Brown when he was over his head as DC. Maybe Cushing can focus on recruiting or superbacks or special teams.

What we dont know is if more knowledgable coaches could coach under Fitz if they have to bend the knee. OL recruits seem alot more academically qualified than other skilled units so I wouldnt think our academic requirements are what have been limiting our struggle to recruit quality OL.

They can kick him upstairs and can "promote" him out of the job. As far as other coaches for the position, how about the guy that was with Western Mich? Not sure if he is still there but he has put guys into NFL and they have always had a good OL. Solid promotion for a guy like that if still there.

They can kick him upstairs and can "promote" him out of the job. As far as other coaches for the position, how about the guy that was with Western Mich? Not sure if he is still there but he has put guys into NFL and they have always had a good OL. Solid promotion for a guy like that if still there.

This guy may be available at the end of the year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hiestand

What we dont know is if more knowledgable coaches could coach under Fitz if they have to bend the knee. OL recruits seem alot more academically qualified than other skilled units so I wouldnt think our academic requirements are what have been limiting our struggle to recruit quality OL.

"Bend the knee." You outed yourself again, Turk.

Reactions: FitzFan
I hope not. Because we know which groups lose out. Especially those who don't bend the knee.

Woah. Would you look at that.

The problem with that is that great coaches want to win championships. It's unclear how "wins championships (or divisions)" ultimately ranks compared "helps graduate players" in the eyes of the administration and staff. Or, perhaps it is clear, and the latter is more important. (And, frankly, if APR is more important, that's fine, provided that's communicated.)

Who *is* the last NU coach to be poached? Garrick McGee, about a decade ago?

When did Brett Ingalls leave to go to the Saints? That was when most of our problems with the OL started.

If Turk is The Wicker Man, what reason would he have to maintain both personas now that he's returned? If he was using them for different viewpoints, then sure, but they essentially say the same thing.

Maybe Wicker Man really is someone different but he apes Turk's language to troll everyone and get a reaction.

If Turk is The Wicker Man, what reason would he have to maintain both personas now that he's returned? If he was using them for different viewpoints, then sure, but they essentially say the same thing.

Maybe Wicker Man really is someone different but he apes Turk's language to troll everyone and get a reaction.

I cannot positively confirm they are the same person, cannot positively confirm they are not, have reasons to believe they are not the same, but not positive.

Shhhhh. Dont spoil my fun. Im really going to get him when i do my own Wickerpark grades. No apology for my GOT reference.

When did Brett Ingalls leave to go to the Saints? That was when most of our problems with the OL started.
Is the OL the ony position group (other than kickers etc) that has not had someone go pro since then?

I wish that damn ice dragon of the dead would fly over Evanston (and a certain house in Northfield) and put a healthy dose of the fear of God into both Cushing and Dear Purple Leader...

If so I don't know what's more pathetic. He was also on the Rant Board advocating Turk's pseudo science experiment for "proving" the earth is flat. That's all anyone needs to know about Wicker...

I cannot positively confirm they are the same person, cannot positively confirm they are not, have reasons to believe they are not the same, but not positive.
So, the question then is, did you have Cuban in NC with Turk, or Wickerpark?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT