ADVERTISEMENT

Race, class, hazing and history at NU

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Like many posters on this board, the last few weeks have been bewildering, angering, and profoundly sad. I love sports, and I love football, despite the physical danger it clearly poses to those who play it at high levels. Like many posters, I am an NU alum. For years, I have channeled that love of football into identification with Northwestern football: it was always the program that did it right, graduating more of its members than any other FBS team, avoiding recruiting violations, following the non-nonsense leadership of its home grown coach. I was genuinely proud of how the team reflected the quality of the university community.

The slow drip of accusations, revelations and recriminations has been Rashomon-like. Players like Greg Newsome and Corey Wootton claimed publicly that they saw no hazing, others, sometimes anonymously, sometimes not, have said in multiple outlets, including the Athletic, that the hazing had its origins in the late 90’s though it grew and morphed over the years, with its epicenter as Camp Kenosha.

The name that hit home for me was Warren Long, a fellow East Bay Cat. Warren played at James Logan in Union City, a working class high school that played my kids’ high schools at various times as my kids were growing up. I saw Warren play in high school. Reading his name and reading about his experience, I reflected a little about my experience and views of NU and how it has changed, and possibly not changed, in the 50+ years since I matriculated during the late ‘60s. I am not a social scientist (I studied math and applied math) but my fellow alum brother is (Psych, PhD Psych from Stanford) and my non-white spouse graduated from Medill. Conversations with them influenced what I am writing here. My immediate family is NU steeped, racially mixed, and (myself excluded) generally thoughtful, and this influences what I am going to say here.

While what I say here is speculative, I think it does give a framework of what may have gone on with the football team the last 25 years, and possibly other sports. When I (and my immediate family members) went to NU, the undergraduate student body was predominately white, with maybe 10% of the students African American, and other race groups (Asian, Hispanic. Native American) a smattering. To my view, there was a big divide among white students. A large percentage of the white students were essentially country club kids: they came from high schools like New Trier or high end private schools, had real affluence, and tended to socialize together, and came from all over the country. Another, seemingly equal percentage of white kids were basically working class kids who had been their school’s valedictorians and Merit Scholars, were getting financial aid and worked board jobs, work study and odd jobs to pay for their education. They tended to come from the Chicago area and other midwestern cities like Milwaukee and St. Louis (my home town) and they also socialized together. A lot had gone to south suburban high schools or Catholic working class high schools (as I had). Nonwhite kids, which included a disproportionate number of athletes, also banded together. My experience of nonwhites was that they were generally uncommonly smart and driven, and expressed an understandable wariness of the predominate social groups at NU.

In the 50 intervening years, the country, and NU, have undergone a lot of changes. I visited campus last year as my niece matriculated, I was in Chicago, and she had a chance to show me around campus. The student body is much more diverse. The Asian population has skyrocketed, there are many more apparently Hispanic students, more foreign students and fewer white undergrads proportionately. Frats and sororities have disbanded. The vibe was much different. In talking to my niece’s classmates, though, there still appeared to be the divide among the prep school and working class groups, though both groups seemed more diverse.

All of this takes me back to what may have been in plain sight the last 25 years but which I missed completely. While the country, and NU have been changing greatly in the last 25 years, the football team has been guided and in some ways populated by people from the sociological mix that was prevalent at NU when I was there. The coaching staff, while always integrated, has been led by Fitz (and Randy Walker before him) who were essentially white working class guys with white working class values. Small things, like the crew cut, use of Navy Seals as inspirational speakers, camo uniform motifs, all speak to a cultural viewpoint that is reflective of where the coaching staff came from. Along with it, from reading the various articles, came internal player leadership that was largely players who mirrored the demographic of the coaching cadre. Per the Athletic, the guys organizing the “car wash” were offensive linemen. If you go back and look at the rosters of the last 30 years, the OL has largely (though not exclusively) white kids who projected a toughness and take no prisoners image. A California African American kid like Long, I am afraid, had to navigate the culture that these “leaders” enforced. I can see where it was intimidating. My son, who is non white and a better athlete than me quit sports in high school. His high school was pretty well integrated, but the sports teams were coached by and dominated by the white kids. He has, due to me, been a lifelong NU football fan. When I talked to him a few days ago, he told me “Dad, why do you think I quit doing sports? The crap in the locker room made the game not worth it.”

In short, I can see where the hazing practices cited grew in large part from the sociology of NU, its changing demographic, and, through the coaching hiring decisions, a tendency to try to preserve the social strata (in this case the dominance of the working class white contingent) that was prevalent when Fitz played.

I realize this is speculation on my part, and I really believe Fitz is not overtly, or purposely, racist. Nonetheless, I can see implicit racism (and possibly class resentment) as being a totally plausible trigger that allowed the hazing enforcement to morph and prevail all these years. Social and race tension existed when I was at NU; I imagine it has changed but still exists.

I hope the University can view this dispassionately as it moves forward, evaluates itself, and makes decisions regarding leadership of the athletic department and teams. How it tackles this will define athletics at NU for better or worse.

I wholly expect some people to reject my take on this, and respectfully accept their criticism if it is put forward thoughtfully.

Like many posters on this board, the last few weeks have been bewildering, angering, and profoundly sad. I love sports, and I love football, despite the physical danger it clearly poses to those who play it at high levels. Like many posters, I am an NU alum. For years, I have channeled that love of football into identification with Northwestern football: it was always the program that did it right, graduating more of its members than any other FBS team, avoiding recruiting violations, following the non-nonsense leadership of its home grown coach. I was genuinely proud of how the team reflected the quality of the university community.

The slow drip of accusations, revelations and recriminations has been Rashomon-like. Players like Greg Newsome and Corey Wootton claimed publicly that they saw no hazing, others, sometimes anonymously, sometimes not, have said in multiple outlets, including the Athletic, that the hazing had its origins in the late 90’s though it grew and morphed over the years, with its epicenter as Camp Kenosha.

The name that hit home for me was Warren Long, a fellow East Bay Cat. Warren played at James Logan in Union City, a working class high school that played my kids’ high schools at various times as my kids were growing up. I saw Warren play in high school. Reading his name and reading about his experience, I reflected a little about my experience and views of NU and how it has changed, and possibly not changed, in the 50+ years since I matriculated during the late ‘60s. I am not a social scientist (I studied math and applied math) but my fellow alum brother is (Psych, PhD Psych from Stanford) and my non-white spouse graduated from Medill. Conversations with them influenced what I am writing here. My immediate family is NU steeped, racially mixed, and (myself excluded) generally thoughtful, and this influences what I am going to say here.

While what I say here is speculative, I think it does give a framework of what may have gone on with the football team the last 25 years, and possibly other sports. When I (and my immediate family members) went to NU, the undergraduate student body was predominately white, with maybe 10% of the students African American, and other race groups (Asian, Hispanic. Native American) a smattering. To my view, there was a big divide among white students. A large percentage of the white students were essentially country club kids: they came from high schools like New Trier or high end private schools, had real affluence, and tended to socialize together, and came from all over the country. Another, seemingly equal percentage of white kids were basically working class kids who had been their school’s valedictorians and Merit Scholars, were getting financial aid and worked board jobs, work study and odd jobs to pay for their education. They tended to come from the Chicago area and other midwestern cities like Milwaukee and St. Louis (my home town) and they also socialized together. A lot had gone to south suburban high schools or Catholic working class high schools (as I had). Nonwhite kids, which included a disproportionate number of athletes, also banded together. My experience of nonwhites was that they were generally uncommonly smart and driven, and expressed an understandable wariness of the predominate social groups at NU.

In the 50 intervening years, the country, and NU, have undergone a lot of changes. I visited campus last year as my niece matriculated, I was in Chicago, and she had a chance to show me around campus. The student body is much more diverse. The Asian population has skyrocketed, there are many more apparently Hispanic students, more foreign students and fewer white undergrads proportionately. Frats and sororities have disbanded. The vibe was much different. In talking to my niece’s classmates, though, there still appeared to be the divide among the prep school and working class groups, though both groups seemed more diverse.

All of this takes me back to what may have been in plain sight the last 25 years but which I missed completely. While the country, and NU have been changing greatly in the last 25 years, the football team has been guided and in some ways populated by people from the sociological mix that was prevalent at NU when I was there. The coaching staff, while always integrated, has been led by Fitz (and Randy Walker before him) who were essentially white working class guys with white working class values. Small things, like the crew cut, use of Navy Seals as inspirational speakers, camo uniform motifs, all speak to a cultural viewpoint that is reflective of where the coaching staff came from. Along with it, from reading the various articles, came internal player leadership that was largely players who mirrored the demographic of the coaching cadre. Per the Athletic, the guys organizing the “car wash” were offensive linemen. If you go back and look at the rosters of the last 30 years, the OL has largely (though not exclusively) white kids who projected a toughness and take no prisoners image. A California African American kid like Long, I am afraid, had to navigate the culture that these “leaders” enforced. I can see where it was intimidating. My son, who is non white and a better athlete than me quit sports in high school. His high school was pretty well integrated, but the sports teams were coached by and dominated by the white kids. He has, due to me, been a lifelong NU football fan. When I talked to him a few days ago, he told me “Dad, why do you think I quit doing sports? The crap in the locker room made the game not worth it.”

In short, I can see where the hazing practices cited grew in large part from the sociology of NU, its changing demographic, and, through the coaching hiring decisions, a tendency to try to preserve the social strata (in this case the dominance of the working class white contingent) that was prevalent when Fitz played.

I realize this is speculation on my part, and I really believe Fitz is not overtly, or purposely, racist. Nonetheless, I can see implicit racism (and possibly class resentment) as being a totally plausible trigger that allowed the hazing enforcement to morph and prevail all these years. Social and race tension existed when I was at NU; I imagine it has changed but still exists.

I hope the University can view this dispassionately as it moves forward, evaluates itself, and makes decisions regarding leadership of the athletic department and teams. How it tackles this will define athletics at NU for better or worse.

I wholly expect some people to reject my take on this, and respectfully accept their criticism if it is put forward thoughtfully.
Thank you from this take. It does paint an interesting macro picture.

This is a really thoughtful comment.

One addition: As far as I know, Newsome only commented on the racism question, saying he experienced none. I do not recall him commenting on hazing.

Nice thoughtful post. I think this may explain the sentiments of some of the players that came forward, but not all. The issues guys like Richardson and Carnifax have experienced have to looked at through a different lense.

Looking forward, I really do hope a guy like Lou Ayeni won’t be tainted by all this but unfortunately I fear he will. In many respects, I think Ayeni would be the perfect head coach for NU to step into this breach and help heal the program. Unfortunately I think his involvement with Fitz’s staff over the last couple of years will be disqualifying

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I know a biracial scholarship football player that struggled with depression at NU. I wonder if his depression was due to hazing.

Nice thoughtful post. I think this may explain the sentiments of some of the players that came forward, but not all. The issues guys like Richardson and Carnifax have experienced have to looked at through a different lense.

Looking forward, I really do hope a guy like Lou Ayeni won’t be tainted by all this but unfortunately I fear he will. In many respects, I think Ayeni would be the perfect head coach for NU to step into this breach and help heal the program. Unfortunately I think his involvement with Fitz’s staff over the last couple of years will be disqualifying
All the players who get scholarships at NU or any Power 5 school were the top dogs at their high schools. Now they're competing for playing time against other high school stars and the adjustment is difficult, even more so at NU where they are also in a high level academic environment. Add to that the stress of whatever went on in the locker room and you've got disasters waiting to happen, especially for guys like Long, Carnifax et al who were not the stars they once were. I went to the game at Wrigley in 2021 when Purdue blew us out. I said to my son (also an NU alum, '06) that our guys did not come to play. I think Fitz had already lost most of the team and maybe for some of the reasons east bay cat mentions. Hopefully the ship can be turned around but it will take a while.

I don't think whatever hazing that Richardson presumably experienced was racially-motivated, and I seriously doubt that was the motivation for the vast majority of it across the program. I certainly don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I don't think it's responsible or helpful to stir the racism pot when we haven't seen compelling evidence of that.

I don't think whatever hazing that Richardson presumably experienced was racially-motivated, and I seriously doubt that was the motivation for the vast majority of it across the program. I certainly don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I don't think it's responsible or helpful to stir the racism pot when we haven't seen compelling evidence of that.
I think the hazing is probably an outgrowth of a specific intersection of race and class, (a blue collar team in a white collar school) and not overt racism. My guess is that being a football player at NU was not necessarily easy socially, and embracing an exaggerated culture of belonging to the team, a condition that enabled hazing, was prevalent and even condoned.

There should be a Pulitzer for best message board post

I think you are overanalyzing the incidents. I think it was just upperclassman and players who are "stars" using the chance to make a mockery (or worse) of those younger and weaker. Personally I wouldn't overthink everything, I think it's all far more simple. '

Just my opinion, maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I think the hazing is probably an outgrowth of a specific intersection of race and class, (a blue collar team in a white collar school) and not overt racism. My guess is that being a football player at NU was not necessarily easy socially, and embracing an exaggerated culture of belonging to the team, a condition that enabled hazing, was prevalent and even condoned.
The most prevalent hazing in this area has been upper class, no need to blame the middle class.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
All the players who get scholarships at NU or any Power 5 school were the top dogs at their high schools. Now they're competing for playing time against other high school stars and the adjustment is difficult, even more so at NU where they are also in a high level academic environment. Add to that the stress of whatever went on in the locker room and you've got disasters waiting to happen, especially for guys like Long, Carnifax et al who were not the stars they once were. I went to the game at Wrigley in 2021 when Purdue blew us out. I said to my son (also an NU alum, '06) that our guys did not come to play. I think Fitz had already lost most of the team and maybe for some of the reasons east bay cat mentions. Hopefully the ship can be turned around but it will take a while.
Interesting point. I was pretty elite in high school - gifted with smarts, athleticism and family money. Even in south suburban catholic school, I was special and definitely got breaks. NU was different. Better everything and in one person and everywhere. It’s humbling. I recall deferring to those older than me - and can’t think of one time I ever gave a thought to rights of passage - fraternity or swim team. It was the first time I was the underdog in my mind.

Mmmmmm….the student body is pretty nerdy. You get some folks who came from athletics or pot that brought the coolness element. A couple of six houses and the athletes were the parties and circles you wanted to be in if you wanted that cool kid lifestyle.

On the guys side, FB were the top in general, with exception. Those parties were the best. Field hockey, LAX, soccer, S&D, baseball - played a big role. BBall for both genders were non existent in both my undergrad experiences.

Ventures into the city - were Greek or athlete driven in my experiences.

In my fraternity (not at NU) there was hazing. My semester I was lucky. All the stuff I went through was fun, silly stuff. Although, I remember that a few guys in my pledge class were occasionally shaken up by the nonsense The next semester, it went bad. As an active that stuff didn’t interest me so I didn’t get involved. However, I was young and stupid and therefore it never occurred to me how really wrong some of it was. I didn’t want anything to do with it, but I sure didn’t stop it.

Here is where I’m heading with all of this. There were guys who were really into hazing... really, really into it. I noticed it when I was a pledge and later as an active. I’ve talked with people who went through hazing in other fraternities and they observed the same thing. There are twisted people amongst us. Throw these folks into these situations, add a healthy dose of dopey kids, and bad things happen.

Last edited:
Interesting point. I was pretty elite in high school - gifted with smarts, athleticism and family money. Even in south suburban catholic school, I was special and definitely got breaks. NU was different. Better everything and in one person and everywhere. It’s humbling. I recall deferring to those older than me - and can’t think of one time I ever gave a thought to rights of passage - fraternity or swim team. It was the first time I was the underdog in my mind.
Brings to mind something that was said to us parents during a Harvard Freshman Orientation
Week. The Admissions Director commented to the effect that we could expect many of our kids to experience real trauma as they get the first grade in their lives that is not an "A."

I appreciate that you've put a lot of thought into this issue. It can be cathartic and potential identify solutions to prevent future problems.

Like some other posters have said, you have over-thought the causes. How does the 2011 death of FAMU drum major on a bus fit into your narrative? Maybe you don't know, but FAMU is not a hotbed of middle-class whites. Like others, I think hazing originates from a base-instinct found in all people.

I was initially bothered that the Hickey report that couldn't identify that the coaches had specific knowledge of the events, but yet Fitz got fired. I find the recent article in The Athletic has changed my opinion. Fitz, and the other coaches, should've known that issues can happen in the locker room. We are dealing with young men (not that women don't have issues too) in a locker room. Numerous studies demonstrate most of them haven't yet reached full brain maturity. As a whole, young people are fixated in sex and their sexual organs in this time frame. In college we give them space and distance because we want to treat them like adults. I suspect we gave them too much freedom and the individuals with a stronger base-instinct of demonstrating dominance, those trying to fit-in, and those applying overly-crass sexually-related acts reared it's head. Like any unchecked problem, it grew like a cancer (can't remember which poster first applied that analog and give them credit).

Hearing the numerous praises of his character, I suspect Fitz thought if the problem got out of control that he would find out. Unfortunately that model failed and it seems the team, the families, the coaches, the fans and the school are paying the consequences.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT