ADVERTISEMENT

You don’t call losing to a winless FCS team, a losing MAC team and then a shellacking by a coach less Wisconsin team that hadn’t beaten a Power 5 team all year debacles? When Iowa scores 20 pts on us will you call that a moral victory?
Reading Is Fundamental

What I said is quite clear. Peay survived the '89 off season. No coach in today's game- even Fitz would survive an 0-11 seasons finishing with 50 and 60 point losses.

But keep on being alienating as hell.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Reading Is Fundamental

What I said is quite clear. Peay survived the '89 off season. No coach in today's game- even Fitz would survive an 0-11 seasons finishing with 50 and 60 point losses.

But keep on being alienating as hell.

Fair.

My point though is that our debacles aren't any less embarrassing than losing 50 or 60 points to decent B1G teams. Peay never lost to an FCS team, much less a winless one. And he didn't lose to a MAC team as far as I recall, and though he did lose to Duke, they were ACC champs that year. As for losing by 50 or 60 points, the season is still young, and we have Ohio State on the schedule yet though there is always a chance for a Monsoon to keep things reasonable.

It remains to be seen, but I'm not sure the futility of the season or the ugly depths this program will have sunk to won't be worse than 1989. But, Fitz will survive it nonetheless, and I'm not sure that's fair.

I was at that game, and heard the speech but remember the response very differently, the crowd went crazy at least in the student section and we started chanting and kowtowing to Barnett after hearing it. We were playing Ohio State if I recall correctly and the OSU fans sitting behind us started laughing at us uncontrollably. The audacity of Barnett to talk about taking us to Pasadena along with the blind hope that change can bring was like an oasis in the desert for a man fanbase dying of thirst for something to live for.

If only such change and hope were thrown to us like a bone today, I think the program or at least the fan base would be energized like never before.
Is Barnett still available? If not then just ask him who he recommends.

• Love
Reactions: phatcat and drewjin
Is Barnett still available? If not then just ask him who he recommends.
Staying on topic: Barnett and Hankwitz coached together at Colorado around 1989-1990 if I recall correctly. So his recommendation was based on an old and deep relationship.

Barnett in 2022 is far removed from the game. Unless he’s watching a ton of college football, he’s likely no longer in a position to make referrals to Fitz.

This isn’t complicated: hire a DC who can get us back to Hankwitz’s scheme. Find a more dynamic special teams coach. And if our offense continues to look terrible, then find a hot up and coming OC - or someone like Gleeson who RU just let go.

Reactions: drewjin
Staying on topic: Barnett and Hankwitz coached together at Colorado around 1989-1990 if I recall correctly. So his recommendation was based on an old and deep relationship.

Barnett in 2022 is far removed from the game. Unless he’s watching a ton of college football, he’s likely no longer in a position to make referrals to Fitz.

This isn’t complicated: hire a DC who can get us back to Hankwitz’s scheme. Find a more dynamic special teams coach. And if our offense continues to look terrible, then find a hot up and coming OC - or someone like Gleeson who RU just let go.

Throw a shit ton of money at Randy Bates? Maybe some Pat Narduzzi wrinkles will be a good thing. Or bring Gary Patterson to Evanston in the senior emeritus type role that Hank had.

Go look at FCS or the Group of 5 and find the OC of the most dynamic and high scoring offense you can find and throw a shit ton of money at them. Western Kentucky or Incarnate Word or something.

Eff the NFL. We had our experience with NFL guys, and it sucked. Get someone who can actually coach and scheme.

The man we want is the Stanford DC if the Stanford HC gets fired (there is some talk about it).

Lance Anderson who was responsible for recruiting under Harbaugh and now the DC.

So we'd get the guy behind the Stanford D along with all of his recruiting skills and contacts. He should be suggested, would be perfect for our situation.

Last edited:
I was at that game, and heard the speech but remember the response very differently, the crowd went crazy at least in the student section and we started chanting and kowtowing to Barnett after hearing it. We were playing Ohio State if I recall correctly and the OSU fans sitting behind us started laughing at us uncontrollably. The audacity of Barnett to talk about taking us to Pasadena along with the blind hope that change can bring was like an oasis in the desert for a man fanbase dying of thirst for something to live for.

If only such change and hope were thrown to us like a bone today, I think the program or at least the fan base would be energized like never before.
You may be right. I was down at the scorer's table as I worked the games back then. All of the "pros" who worked for the athletic department all kind of looked at each other with an isn't that cute kind of smile.

I was there too when Gary made his proclamation. Now that triggers painful memories of the mens bball team. Dang you Rex Walters and the other transfers that followed!!!

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
I was there too when Gary made his proclamation. Now that triggers painful memories of the mens bball team. Dang you Rex Walters and the other transfers that followed!!!
Pretty much that entire class I came in with left before 4 years.

The man we want is the Stanford DC if the Stanford HC gets fired (there is some talk about it).

Lance Armstrong who was responsible for recruiting under Harbaugh and now the DC.

So we'd get the guy behind the Stanford D along with all of his recruiting skills and contacts. He should be suggested, would be perfect for our situation.

HC, right?

1989- my junior year. Bad team. Sad in the stadium- good thing they didn't charge us to get in and out....But did we ever have fun in the east parking lot! Budweiser was flowing at my frat's flag. Buffalo joe's chicken wings, burgers, brats. Oh...and all the hot sorority ladies were all over. Now it seems if you want to party in the east lot, you have to donate 100,000$+ for the privilege?? Lots of good times were had hanging out at those tailgate parties. It was the worst of times...but it was the best of times....

That Illinois debacle was the worst! Illini fans wanted to run up the score even more. I left early and heard Loren Tate, the Illini announcer, respond, saying "Northwestern could get good, you know" At that point, I wasn't sure it would ever happen.

No, I was answering EC's comment about potential new defensive coordinators. If Shaw gets fired I presume his staff would as well, so this guy would be looking for work. I get the impression he, like Hank, does not want to be the HC, he keeps turning opportunities down.

That Illinois debacle was the worst! Illini fans wanted to run up the score even more. I left early and heard Loren Tate, the Illini announcer, respond, saying "Northwestern could get good, you know" At that point, I wasn't sure it would ever happen.
Two years later ...

Fair.

My point though is that our debacles aren't any less embarrassing than losing 50 or 60 points to decent B1G teams. Peay never lost to an FCS team, much less a winless one. And he didn't lose to a MAC team as far as I recall, and though he did lose to Duke, they were ACC champs that year. As for losing by 50 or 60 points, the season is still young, and we have Ohio State on the schedule yet though there is always a chance for a Monsoon to keep things reasonable.

It remains to be seen, but I'm not sure the futility of the season or the ugly depths this program will have sunk to won't be worse than 1989. But, Fitz will survive it nonetheless, and I'm not sure that's fair.
OSU will crush us. MD and IL aren't that good but will also embarrass us. PU and MN QBs will pick us apart. Plenty of time for 50 point losses.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
OSU will crush us. MD and IL aren't that good but will also embarrass us. PU and MN QBs will pick us apart. Plenty of time for 50 point losses.
So you’re feeling pretty good about the Iowa game, eh?

We only lost to them 35-22 in 1989. I think it will be a lower scoring affair in 2022.

So you’re feeling pretty good about the Iowa game, eh?

We only lost to them 35-22 in 1989. I think it will be a lower scoring affair in 2022.

Half right. We will score less than that.

I think they will beat us 14-0. Four safeties and 2 field goals.

Actually, Iowa scored 27 against Rutgers and Nevada. Rutgers is probably better than us and Nevada as good. Maybe 24-7.

1989- my junior year. Bad team. Sad in the stadium- good thing they didn't charge us to get in and out....But did we ever have fun in the east parking lot! Budweiser was flowing at my frat's flag. Buffalo joe's chicken wings, burgers, brats. Oh...and all the hot sorority ladies were all over. Now it seems if you want to party in the east lot, you have to donate 100,000$+ for the privilege?? Lots of good times were had hanging out at those tailgate parties. It was the worst of times...but it was the best of times....

Indeed. In retrospect, at the time, didn’t really think anything was out of the ordinary to go to games just to get hammered in the parking lot, and deciding by halftime or the fourth quarter whether to actually go in to the stadium depending on what the score was (and how hammered one was). I guess that was something we only did at NU.

Indeed. In retrospect, at the time, didn’t really think anything was out of the ordinary to go to games just to get hammered in the parking lot, and deciding by halftime or the fourth quarter whether to actually go in to the stadium depending on what the score was (and how hammered one was). I guess that was something we only did at NU.
Remember we could go in and out. Go in at Q2 for marshmallow wars, out at half time. In maybe for a bit late Q3 and out before game over. Except the two games we won and tore down the goal posts.

The ironic thing is we had some really good individual players in that time. Byron Sanders was breathtaking (1987 or so?)

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
The ironic thing is we had some really good individual players in that time. Byron Sanders was breathtaking (1987 or so?)
Barry Sanders was so good at Oklahoma State in 1988 - maybe the best college RB ever - too bad his brother (good as he was) couldn’t get just a little bit more of Barry’s talent. Who knows? He could’ve jump started the renaissance several years earlier.

Then it must have been 1988 that I am thinking of because they both went pro the year after Barry got his Heisman. Byron must have thought he could also capture a bit of (and cash in on) his brothers popularity, but his NFL days were short.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT