ADVERTISEMENT

2016 record

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I just got a good look at next years schedule with all the 3 prime time games etc. It is so boring on the board right now I thought I would ask a few specific questions about what people think for next year.

Here is the schedule courtesy of Inside NU
9/3 — Western Michigan — Home
9/10 — Illinois State — Home
9/17 — Duke — Home — 7 p.m. CT
9/24 — Nebraska — Home — 6:30 p.m. CT
10/1 — Iowa — Away
10/15 — Michigan State — Away
10/22 — Indiana — Home (Homecoming)
10/29 — Ohio State — Away — 4:30 p.m. CT
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

1) What is your best guess for NU's record coming into the Ohio State game?

2) What is your best guess for NU's final record at the end of this schedule?

3) What final 12 game record would you find a huge disappointment?

4) What are the chances of being undefeated at home with this schedule?

5) What 3 games are most important to you?

For me:
5W - 2L

8W - 4 L

5 - 7 I aways say that if the last game still gets you a chance at a bowl it's an ok season. So by my usual formula we could be 5&6 and the last game would have meaning beyond beating the Illini. If we lose, I find some reward in the idea that they played to advance in every scheduled game. No games mailed in by a beaten team. I'm aiming slightly higher this year. Simply can't fall out of bowl eligibility this season with all the attention these Prime Time games are going to bring.

85% I thing we could do this.

Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska.

Last edited:
1) Agree 5-2
2 I think you miscounted I say 8-4
3) Agree 5-7 same reason
4) Gotta say 70%
5) Agree Iowa and Nebraska but I put Wiscy instead of Illini. We need to do well against the best 3 teams in out division.

1) 6-1

2) 9-3

3) 6-6

4) 80%

5) Nebraska (1st B1G game); Indiana (Homecoming and most likely game I will be able to attend); and Wisconsin (likely most important for winning our division.)

I think you meant to write a final record of 9-3. That would be quite an accomplishment given the way the schedule plays out for us. I do like that the first part of our schedule is the tough given that we have started pretty well the last couple of years. We'll need to do that again this year because none of our first four games are cake walks. In particular don't sleep on Western Michigan. If we can manage to once again start off very well and come out of September 4-0, that will give us breathing room to face a four game stretch that will dictate how good of a season we will have. The month of October, coinciding with the start of classes, has been our achilles heel the last several seasons. NU will need to play very well to not see a repeat of that pattern. Go winless in October and our season could go down the tubes. Finishing the month 1-3 would be manageable and 2-2 would be great. Anything better than that and we are looking at another New Year's Day bowl . The last third of our schedule looks very manageable and we could easily win all of our last four games. I think a lot will depend on the health, momentum and record of the team coming out of the month of October.

The there biggest games of the year are:
- Western Michigan (need a great start against an underrated opponent)
- Nebraska (Big Ten opener that needs to provide positive momentum going into tough October schedule)
- Indiana ( A must win game at home during murderous October schedule. A win could be needed to stop a 2 game skid.).

Last edited:
1. 5-2 going into Ohio State, I think. Could be 6-1.

2. Either 8-4 or 9-3 at the end of the season, hoping 9-3. Going 10-2 would be awesome.

3. 7-5 would be a bit disappointing, 6-6 would be truly meh.

4. Roughly 50/50 chance of going undefeated in Evanston. It comes down to Duke, Nebraska, Wisconsin. Fairly confident the Cats can swing two of the three...even odds to knock down all three.

5. Most important games from my perspective: Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State.

Reactions: rmndcat
7-0

12-0
0-12

100%

The Big Ten Championship, playoff round 1, National Title game.

7-0

12-0
0-12

100%

1. 5-2
2. 8-4
3. 6-6
4. 50%
5. Iowa Nebraska and Wisconsin, followed closely by the prime time national exposure games (Duke and OSU)

GOUNUII

.95 + .95 + .80 + .60 + .33 + .25 + .8 = 4.68
5W-2L

.95 + .95 + .80 + .60 + .33 + .25 + .80 + .10 + .60 +.80 + .66 + .75 = 7.6
8W-4L

7-5.
8-4 just sounds so much better than 7-5... which barely sounds like a winning record.

.95 x .95 x .80 x .60 x .80 x .60 x .75 = 16%

5) What 3 games are most important to you?[/QUOTE]
Duke- represent the conference
Nebraska- start strong in the BT
Illinois- rivalry

7-0

12-0
0-12

100%

I'm with Shakes here.

But in a fit of pessimism, here is another set of guesses:

1) 6-1 going into dOSU game
2) 10-2 final record
3) anything less than 8 wins would be disappointing
4) 50% chance of being undefeated at home
5) 3 most important games: Iowa. dOSU. whoever we play in the B1G championship

Reactions: shakes3858

2. Either 8-4 or 9-3 at the end of the season, hoping 9-3. Going 10-2 would be awesome.

4. Roughly 50/50 chance of going undefeated in Evanston. It comes down to Duke, Nebraska, Wisconsin. Fairly confident the Cats can swing two of the three...even odds to knock down all three.

JP, glad you're continuing to be part of the board.

Another solid post! Love having you here with us. I get the thought on the Duke game, but I have to go with Iowa. We just got abused by them last year and I think morally that game means an awful lot to the demeanor of this team.

I'd agree with the general thoughts in all categories here. In the Fitz interview at NU which I encourage all to listen to, he commented on how much more cohesive the offense was becoming. He mentioned that if the O was just 50 percent better than last year which is very plausible, they would be a load to deal with. My only real concern is the D line. To lose Lowery and Gibson is an awful lot

I'm with Shakes here.

But in a fit of pessimism, here is another set of guesses:

1) 6-1 going into dOSU game
2) 10-2 final record
3) anything less than 8 wins would be disappointing
4) 50% chance of being undefeated at home
5) 3 most important games: Iowa. dOSU. whoever we play in the B1G championship

Less than 8 wins disappointing? Tough crowd.

JP, glad you're continuing to be part of the board.

Another solid post! Love having you here with us. I get the thought on the Duke game, but I have to go with Iowa. We just got abused by them last year and I think morally that game means an awful lot to the demeanor of this team.

Thanks, guys, my pleasure to be with you all.

I totally get Iowa or Illinois on a lot of people's lists. You have rivalries, old and new, to which I'm still largely blind. For instance, never thought about Illinois being a rival until someone mentioned it; but it makes perfect sense.

When I chose Duke, Mich St, and Ohio St, those are just the games that feel most compelling to me, that I most want to watch. I'll be cheering the Cats on in all three contests!

I just got a good look at next years schedule with all the 3 prime time games etc. It is so boring on the board right now I thought I would ask a few specific questions about what people think for next year.

10/1 — Iowa — Away
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

5-2 or 4-3

7-5 to 9-3

6-6

I think we go undefeated till Wisconsin in home games but depending on how the OSU game goes could affect a already really close match up between NU and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Duke. They are what I believe the games that are closest to toss ups but I still think Northwestern should be favored in all of them.

I totally get Iowa or Illinois on a lot of people's lists. You have rivalries, old and new, to which I'm still largely blind. For instance, never thought about Illinois being a rival until someone mentioned it; but it makes perfect sense.

When I chose Duke, Mich St, and Ohio St, those are just the games that feel most compelling to me, that I most want to watch. I'll be cheering the Cats on in all three contests!

I'm glad you are becoming a fan and was surprised when you participated in a thread like this one. We may ned to send you a purple Tee shirt or something.

You bring an interesting perspective to the table. Not really an unbiased view because I think you have become genuinely interested in the Cats but a fresh view, perhaps less cluttered by emotion and history and more shaped buy the big (national) picture.

Less than 8 wins disappointing? Tough crowd.

We have to raise the bar and I think we have. Honestly, would anyone here be satisfied with a 7-5 season? Hell, 8-4 will probably bring out the "problem of Fitz" posts again. 10-2 baby.

Last edited:

10/1 — Iowa — Away
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

10-2 means at least 7 Big 10 wins.....last time that has happened in the last 10 seasons? I applaud your reset bar height.

My best guess is 5-2 into OSU.

I am hopeful for a 9-3 season.

I would be disappointed with a 6-6 record. It would mean we lost to two opponents we should have beat and let one upset get away.

I think we have a 75% chance of being undefeated at home.

Nebraska set high expectations for a championship bid. Also get a home W v Nebby.
Wisconsin coming off a road loss to OSU we can't let that loss linger. We play Wisconsin tough at home and we have to continue that trend.
Every other home opponent is likely a W for us. We just have to seal the deal.

We have to raise the bar and I think we have. Honestly, would anyone here be satisfied with a 7-5 season? Hell, 8-4 will probably bring out the "problem of Fitz" posts again. 10-2 baby.

Yes, I am always satisfied with a 7-5 record. My standing over/under for a "successful season" is 6.5.

I'm glad you are becoming a fan and was surprised when you participated in a thread like this one. We may ned to send you a purple Tee shirt or something.

You bring an interesting perspective to the table. Not really an unbiased view because I think you have become genuinely interested in the Cats but a fresh view, perhaps less cluttered by emotion and history and more shaped buy the big (national) picture.

More accurately a friend than fan, I think. I would only call myself a fan of Tennessee and Army. But definitely a friend of the Cats. *thumbsup*

I'll definitely take the t-shirt, though, can give it to my daughter whose favorite color is purple, and dare her to wear it to class (junior at Vandy). :)

For me:
5W - 2L

8W - 4 L

5 - 7 I aways say that if the last game still gets you a chance at a bowl it's an ok season. So by my usual formula we could be 5&6 and the last game would have meaning beyond beating the Illini. If we lose, I find some reward in the idea that they played to advance in every scheduled game. No games mailed in by a beaten team. I'm aiming slightly higher this year. Simply can't fall out of bowl eligibility this season with all the attention these Prime Time games are going to bring.

85% I thing we could do this.

Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska.

Pretty much agree on all points. I'd add Wisconsin to the mix in #5, especially since that's where most of the 15% of doubt comes in for #4. But I won't disagree with including the Bugeaters--the Nebraska series is really becoming very interesting.

A lot of us tend to forget about Illinois as a serious rival, too--especially those of us who grew up outside the Land of Lincoln.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

A friendly but ignorant view.

A lot of us tend to forget about Illinois as a serious rival, too--especially those of us who grew up outside the Land of Lincoln.

It's hard to take them seriously especially the clown act that was Beckman and with a rivalry trophy named LOL. Now that Lovie-Dovey is heading up the new circus hopefully there will be more meaningful matchups while he is still there.

It's hard to take them seriously especially the clown act that was Beckman and with a rivalry trophy named LOL. Now that Lovie-Dovey is heading up the new circus hopefully there will be more meaningful matchups while he is still there.

I expect to beat The Illini every year. Beating them is no great satisfaction, but losing to them is worse than losing to anyone else in the B1G. I still keep them on my list of 3 for this very reason. Also, watching Lovie's Pressers after a loss to the "school up North" would be priceless.

10/1 — Iowa — Away
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

1) 4-3

2) 7-5

3) 5-7

4) IMO 5-2 at Home

5) Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois

10/1 — Iowa — Away
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

10/1 — Iowa — Away
11/5 — Wisconsin — Home
11/12 — Purdue — Away
11/19 — Minnesota — Away
11/26 — Illinois — Home

I have never understood the interest people have in predictions. They mean absolutely nothing other than perhaps to gamblers following "so-called experts", who might have an influence on whether the family makes its car payments that week. As for following the opinions of those of us on this board, if a gambler is paying attention, he or she deserves to lose a car. That said, we all have opinions and seemingly some interest in sharing them, if only for our self gratification. I think they have a word for that, but I will refrain from using it.
Barring key injuries, I think that we will be very, very good next year. I expect significant improvement from our OL and QB and some improvement from our WR. McShepard and Reese should help. I admit relative ignorance, but I thought Reese's tape screamed WR, not DB. Given that, I expect being 7-1 going into the OSU game. I think we will be 11-1 overall and win the west, having lost only to MSU. I know the Spartans have lost a lot, but I am a huge believer in D'Antonio and I think he ekes out a victory in a close game at his place. Our victory over OSU will help UM win the east. I will be very disappointed if we do not win at least 10 games overall, counting the postseason. However, key injuries could absolutely kill us. If we lose Thorson early, we will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games. Some of our defensive personnel are nearly as important just because they are so good, but we at least have competent backups on defense.The Iowa game is the key to our winning the west, but beating UW and Nebraska are also important. I put our chances at winning all of our home games at 80%. OK, now another question...who cares?

I have never understood the interest people have in predictions. They mean absolutely nothing other than perhaps to gamblers following "so-called experts", who might have an influence on whether the family makes its car payments that week. As for following the opinions of those of us on this board, if a gambler is paying attention, he or she deserves to lose a car. That said, we all have opinions and seemingly some interest in sharing them, if only for our self gratification. I think they have a word for that, but I will refrain from using it.
Barring key injuries, I think that we will be very, very good next year. I expect significant improvement from our OL and QB and some improvement from our WR. McShepard and Reese should help. I admit relative ignorance, but I thought Reese's tape screamed WR, not DB. Given that, I expect being 7-1 going into the OSU game. I think we will be 11-1 overall and win the west, having lost only to MSU. I know the Spartans have lost a lot, but I am a huge believer in D'Antonio and I think he ekes out a victory in a close game at his place. Our victory over OSU will help UM win the east. I will be very disappointed if we do not win at least 10 games overall, counting the postseason. However, key injuries could absolutely kill us. If we lose Thorson early, we will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games. Some of our defensive personnel are nearly as important just because they are so good, but we at least have competent backups on defense.The Iowa game is the key to our winning the west, but beating UW and Nebraska are also important. I put our chances at winning all of our home games at 80%. OK, now another question...who cares?

How can one person so much fun? You are practically a party in a box.

1) 4-3
2) 7-5
3) Anything less than 6 wins
4) 1.3% (I think we'll go 5-2)
5) _isconsin (Where I live, love having bragging rights for a year)
Iowa (The W has been gone too long)
Duke (Gotta win these Brain Bowls)

Go 'Cats!

I think that Wrassler took over the Shakes account... or maybe the eternal Bears optimist from the Tribune.

Pretty much agree on all points. I'd add Wisconsin to the mix in #5, especially since that's where most of the 15% of doubt comes in for #4. But I won't disagree with including the Bugeaters--the Nebraska series is really becoming very interesting.
I'm similar to here too.

I'll join w general consensus and say 5-2 going into OSU and 8-4 overall. I think the most likely losses are @Iowa, @MSU, @OSU, and Wiscy at home. 3 likely losses, but then a bunch of tossup games where we might be neutral or narrowly favored- most notably Wiscy and Nebby, but also Duke and @Minny. And we've certainly seen our team drop games like WMU, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue before. If I had to guess we pick up 1 of the 3 tough road games (I'm leaning at MSU who has lost a bunch right now), then drop one of the 2 tossup home games (for now I'll say beat Nebby while Wiscy gets revenge for us stealing one up there last year), and then lose 1 game we are favored in (maybe @Minn though who knows).

I would love 9-3 or better, I think we definitely have a shot at both Iowa and MSU. But to get there or better I think we would need to see meaningful improvement in the offense.

I'll say 20% undefeated at home. And 6-6 or worse would be disappointing.

And most important games- if I had to pick 3 it would be Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, followed by Illinois at 4 and MSU at 5. But OSU and every other B1G game is right up there really...

The (other) Wildcat says
stomp the Buck Eyes into the Shoe
&
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT