ADVERTISEMENT

2017 grad transfer options

There is ZERO speculation in posting a players profile and stating that he can be a fit for NU, and that he is worth following. I suggest you look the word up in a dictionary.

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
Don't any of you have something better to do at 6 in the morning?

Last edited:
Pretty sure he is talking about 2018 visits...not 2017.

Jeez, he CANNOT possibly have 2017 visits ALREADY scheduled when he hasn't even decided YET if he will reclassify to 2017.

Duke has SIX (6) 2017 commits, apparently already enrolled, and NO 2017 scholarships left. Take it to the bank. And see the previously linked AZ articles that says they have zero 2017 schollies left.

Maybe, you know, reclassification and allocation of scholarships might be a topic of discussion with coaching staffs on his official visit? Or that it could be an integral element in choosing his school?

He's also a good enough player that programs might "find room" if he's insistent on reclassification, shady as that may be.

Maybe, you know, reclassification and allocation of scholarships might be a topic of discussion with coaching staffs on his official visit? Or that it could be an integral element in choosing his school?

He's also a good enough player that programs might "find room" if he's insistent on reclassification, shady as that may be.
Of course reclassification is a consideration...and that is my exact point: *IF* he does reclassify he will focus ONLY on schools that actually have empty spots for 2017 (such as NU)...makes sense, right?

As great as he may be, scholarships limits apply to great players also...and as mentioned before, the vast majority (possibly all) major BkB programs are already full for 2017.

If you think that because he is #1 ranked schools will 'magically' make room for him please elaborate on how they would go about doing it, specially considering that the 17-18 school year is (literally) several WEEKS away in most places (the fact that NU's academic calendar starts later than most would actually be a (tiny) advantage in this particular case).

.and as mentioned before, the vast majority (possibly all) major BkB programs are already full for 2017.

Duke has 1 spot available.
MSU 1.
Carolina 1.
Syracuse 2
ND 2
UCLA 1
Kentucky 2

Looks like your premise that most "major" programs likely to attract a "one and done" 5* are full is flawed......

Of course reclassification is a consideration...and that is my exact point: *IF* he does reclassify he will focus ONLY on schools that actually have empty spots for 2017 (such as NU)...makes sense, right?

As great as he may be, scholarships limits apply to great players also...and as mentioned before, the vast majority (possibly all) major BkB programs are already full for 2017.

If you think that because he is #1 ranked schools will 'magically' make room for him please elaborate on how they would go about doing it, specially considering that the 17-18 school year is (literally) several WEEKS away in most places (the fact that NU's academic calendar starts later than most would actually be a (tiny) advantage in this particular case).

So you're literally arguing conjecture. Way to go.

Duke has 1 spot available.
I only checked the schools that have been recently associated with him, and not with the official rosters. In the case of Duke, it is possible that my source was counting a walk-on as a scholarship player. At least AZ and USC (2 of his 3 2018 'finalists') have been explicitly mentioned as full for 2017 in recent articles specifically discussing him. Whatever the status of the programs you mentioned, it is undeniable that the major programs with open scholarships for the 2017-18 year (weeks away) should be FAR FEWER than those with openings for 2018 (which are probably nearly all).

Whatever the status of the programs you mentioned, it is undeniable that the major programs with open scholarships for the 2017-18 year (weeks away) should be FAR FEWER than those with openings for 2018 (which are probably nearly all).

Duh!!!

Great analysis. Thanks.

Marvin Bagley III, the no. 1 recruit in 2018 who is seriously considering reclassifying for the 2017 NCAA season visited Duke this past weekend. He then is visiting USC this week and UofA this weekend. This is real college basketball news and not the drivel and wild speculation spewed by another poster. This is a story worth noting because wherever Bagley winds up that team becomes a Final 4 and national championship favorite. Schools will always find a way to put players on the roster who some NBA executives speculated as good enough to be the no. 1 pick in the 2017 draft if he had been eligible which he was not. So the claim that there are no open scholarships for 2017 is baseless. And no, there is not a scintilla of a chance that he would consider NU. UK, Kansas and UCLA are also trying to get in on the Bagley Sweepstakes. One of the top stories in college basketball to keep an eye on before the season. And once again, that nameless poster was nowhere in the zip code of reality.

Marvin Bagley III, the no. 1 recruit in 2018 who is seriously considering reclassifying for the 2017 NCAA season visited Duke this past weekend. He then is visiting USC this week and UofA this weekend. This is real college basketball news and not the drivel and wild speculation spewed by another poster. This is a story worth noting.
What have I speculated about? I don't recall having said that if he does reclassify he is a lock to join the wildcats, or even that NU would be a finalist...I'd say NU is competitive with a LOT of schools that have offered him, and many of the "bigger" ones in his list have been reported NOT to have scholarship left for 2017 (whereas NU does have). Any speculation there? What?
Those OBVIOUSLY speculating are the ones who say that b/c he is the No 1 recruit schools who don't have open scholarships for 2017-18 would magically find a scholarship for him...care to illustrate the audience on how would a school (like USC or AZ) go about doing so?
Paying a hitman to murder one of their own scholarship players doesn't count.

Shocking FS still has not figured it out. Cbssports has an excellent staff of experienced journalists led by Gary Parrish. Gary Parrish and his staff have reported on numerous occasions that Marvin Bagley II is seriously considering reclassifying to be in the 2017-2018 class. That is a huge college basketball story. That means that they have conducted interviews with Bagley and he has told them that or they have talked to people close to Bagley and they have confirmed that story. That is why they are called journalists and you are not. They have sources who are real people in or involved with college basketball. You do not.

I am simply relaying those reports from reputable journalists who have said that Bagley has three schools who he has visited last week and is visiting this week and will visit this weekend in Duke, USC and UofA. Never has NU been remotely in the picture and to say that they should be in the picture is a joke and defies reality.

What is preposterous and laughable is that you have named prospects that NU should be going after who range from a backup who could not play on Dartmouth which indicates to me that he could not survive in the Big 10 to the no. 1 high school player in the nation who the NBA is dying to draft. This widely different talent level shows or illustrates to everyone who reads this site how much your posts are wild shots in the dark with no backing in reality.

Shocking FS still has not figured it out. Cbssports has an excellent staff of experienced journalists led by Gary Parrish. Gary Parrish and his staff have reported on numerous occasions that Marvin Bagley II is seriously considering reclassifying to be in the 2017-2018 class. That is a huge college basketball story.
You continue your attempts to provoke me, and drag into a flame war. I'd very much appreciate it if the mods PLEASE PLEASE put an end to this extremely obvious provocations.

Best I can tell it was me who first reported on this site (in this very thread) the possibility that Bagley reclassify. I HAVE NEVER indicated that I know NU would be a finalist if he did reclassify, or that he and NU are in communication. I simply pointed out that if he does reclassify, since many schools in his 2018 list are reported NOT to have 2017 scholarships (whereas NU does have one), that'd give NU a little opening.

I ask you AGAIN what have I speculated about? I have simply reported FACTS.

As for the others, I have said and repeat that simply posting the profile of an available player as someone who my be a fit for NU is not speculating whatsoever. It is simply bringing to the site's attention a player of POSSIBLE interest. This makes sense given that NU STILL has a 2017 scholarship available, and at least some of the posted players seem better than just leaving a scholarship unused. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with this. And YOU know it. But you need to keep flame-baiting until someone stop you (which I hope will be soon).

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
This widely different talent level shows or illustrates to everyone who reads this site how much your posts are wild shots in the dark with no backing in reality.
So you're saying that wild shots in the dark with no backing in reality are a bad thing? You might as well shut down the internet.

This thread is like the 1987 garbage barge. Can't deny it's there, try to look away, but can't help myself. It just keeps coming back worse than before. It only Holy Cross would accept this thread onto its blog.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the recent graduate transfer (Jack Whitman) from William & Mary who was going to Kansas but recently decided he did not like Lawrence (or maybe what's his name Coach Self decided for him that he no longer liked Lawrence; which also opens up a scholarship for if Kansas is able to land Bagley for 2017-18 season).

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article162605968.html

Weird how that works, huh?

Reactions: NJCat
I'm surprised no one mentioned the recent graduate transfer (Jack Whitman) from William & Mary who was going to Kansas but recently decided he did not like Lawrence (or maybe what's his name Coach Self decided for him that he no longer liked Lawrence; which also opens up a scholarship for if Kansas is able to land Bagley for 2017-18 season).
It's certainly strange for a grad transfer to change his mind this late. Whether it is linked to Bagley or not is more speculative. Bagley hasn't apparently been linked to KU, and when Whitman decided to look elsewhere, Bagley hadn't yet done anything definite about reclassifying (which he has just done apparently, but it isn't a done deal, yet). Even if he does reclassify, KU doesn't seem to be a strong favorite, although their having a 17-18 scholarship available meets at least a necessary condition.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recru...rizona-usc-official-visit-date-2018-nba-draft

On a side note, Whitman is now available, and NU AFAIK continues to have a 17-18 scholarship open...If he was, at least for while, viewed as KU material, as a 6-9 235lb F with at least practice experience at KU, he should be able to help NU...certainly more than an empty roster spot! (he averaged 10.1 pts and 5.4 Rebs in 22 mins in his final W&M season)...we should keep an eye on him.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67189/jack-whitman

Reactions: willycat
It's certainly strange for a grad transfer to change his mind this late. Whether it is linked to Bagley or not is more speculative. He hasn't apparently been linked to KU, and when Whitman decided to look elsewhere, Bagley hadn't yet donde anything definite about reclassifying (which he has just done apparently, but isn't a done deal). Even if he does reclassify, KU doesn't seem to be a strong favorite, although their having a 17-18 scholarship available meets at least a necessary condition.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recru...rizona-usc-official-visit-date-2018-nba-draft

On a side note, Whitman is now available, and NU AFAIK continues to have a 17-18 scholarship open...If he was, at least for while, viewed as KU material, a 6-9 235lb F with at least practice experience at KU should be able to help NU...certainly more than an empty roster spot! (he averaged 10.1 pts and 5.4 Rebs in 22 mins in his final W&M season)...we should keep an eye on him.

Coach Collins sends you his thanks again because the staff whiffed completely on this info along with all the other grad transfers you dug up. It's a known weakness of the coaching staff (at least to some fans) that it is completely clueless about how to manage roster spots, so your work is very useful and invaluable.

On a side note, Whitman is now available, and NU AFAIK continues to have a 17-18 scholarship open...If he was, at least for while, viewed as KU material, as a 6-9 235lb F with at least practice experience at KU, he should be able to help NU...certainly more than an empty roster spot! (he averaged 10.1 pts and 5.4 Rebs in 22 mins in his final W&M season)...we should keep an eye on him.
Here is a Whitman's highlights video...As a big, he seems to be very skilled and relatively athletic...he would for sure help NU if it came to that:

Last edited:
Coach Collins sends you his thanks again because the staff whiffed completely on this info along with all the other grad transfers you dug up. It's a known weakness of the coaching staff (at least to some fans) that it is completely clueless about how to manage roster spots, so your work is very useful and invaluable.
Just get over it, please.

Reactions: IGNORE2
This thread is so appropriate for the summer. It's the board's version of the long, family driving trip. And I'm sure I'm not the only kid in the backseat waiting for the seemingly endless and mind-numbing drive through Nebraska to come to an end.

Are we there yet?

0 for 100 and more. FS strikes out again. The story never ends. BTW, the thread about Kyrie Irving was to mock you and it was hilarious.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
0 for 100 and more. FS strikes out again. The story never ends. BTW, the thread about Kyrie Irving was to mock you and it was hilarious.
Once again, when has FS ever predicted that a player was transferring to NU? Thought so. If your not interested how Collins might be able to fill the last schlorship slot, then just don't open the dam post. Your problem is thus solved.

Add another tool to the tool shed.

Here is a more realistic view when analyzing NU's roster: Talen Horton-Tucker, Siddeq Bay, Miller Koop and Battin Riley. Those are players, who according to multiple recruiting reports, have received offers from NU for the 2018-2019 season for the remaining two available scholarships. Those are players to focus in on more so than throwing darts on a wall with no substantiation of offers to 5th year graduate transfers on August 2nd with the 2017-2018 school year beginning in approximately 5-6 weeks.

Unfortunately willy, they never will. The abuse will continue unabated until Feli goes the way of shakes, Turk, and wrassler.
Long time lurker, very rare poster. Well said, No Chores.

Yes, Feli likes to post "wild shots in the dark". So what! It's just an internet message board - not some corporation!

I like reading Feli posts on my occasional visits. I like that he's different. Many people don't. That's fine! No one's forcing you to read Feli posts. Just scroll past them - it's easy!

It must be their master's program in Lobster fishery management that hooked him.

Here is a Whitman's highlights video...As a big, he seems to be very skilled and relatively athletic...he would for sure help NU:
FWIW, with the school year starting less than 2-weeks from now in most colleges, Whitman seems to still be available...as an ex-KU grad transfer (changed his mind) he can definitely help quite a few teams...Conceivably, the cause of the delay is that an academically rigorous school following a late-starting quarter system is trying to get him through admissions (Stanford satisfies this definition...can you think of any other?).

In other news, a late entrant is PG J-Mychal Reese (<--), a former 4-star top 100 recruits with an interesting story... he started his college career at TAMU in an apparent package deal (<--) in which his dad joined as an assist coach....
That didn't save him from getting dismissed from the team as a soph (violation of team rules)...he apparently recovered (<--) and did fine at North TX...I doubt he'd be a fit at NU, but someplace will likely take a chance on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: willycat
FWIW, with the school year starting less than 2-weeks from now in most colleges, Whitman seems to still be available...as an ex-KU grad transfer (changed his mind) he can definitely help quite a few teams...Conceivably, the cause of the delay is that an academically rigorous school following a late-starting quarter system is trying to get him through admissions (Stanford satisfies this definition...can you think of any other?).
In other news, a late entrant is PG J-Mychal Reese (<--), a former 4-star top 100 recruits with an interesting story... he started his college career at TAMU in an apparent package deal (<--) in which his dad joined as an assist coach....
Hard to believe but it seems the list of grad transfers eligible to play THIS season is still growing. Former Rivals FIVE-star SG Keith Frazier, who briefly played at N. Tx during his senior year after spending 3 years at SMU, may be available:

However, he does have an interesting history (<--).

In other news, with most schools already in session, Whitman, the ex-KU grad transfer who changed his mind and could definitely help quite a few teams, seems to be STILL AVAILABLE...just like previously mentioned J-Mychal Reese. At least Whitman's profile seems appropriate for NU.

Hard to believe but it seems the list of grad transfers eligible to play THIS season is still growing.

If there was going to be a graduate transfer joining the 'Cats in 2017, I believe that it would have materialized by now. Nevertheless, I can appreciate Feli's enthusiasm for continuing to analyze grad transfer options and possibilities up the very last minute. The clock is winding down...

* New undergraduate student registration begins September 14.
* Fall classes start on September 19.

* New undergraduate student registration begins September 14.
* Fall classes start on September 19.
Since much of the basketball season is played during the winter term, without checking the rules, I venture to say that it may be possible for a grad transfer to start in the winter...why would that make sense? Perhaps some kind of admission-related issue such as a conflict about graduation requirements, etc...Anyone, why would someone like Whitman still not have a team?? Others may have some extra-curricular issues, but he seems quite right both athletically and otherwise.

Since much of the basketball season is played during the winter term, without checking the rules, I venture to say that it may be possible for a grad transfer to start in the winter...why would that make sense? Perhaps some kind of admission-related issue such as a conflict about graduation requirements, etc...Anyone, why would someone like Whitman still not have a team?? Others may have some extra-curricular issues, but he seems quite right both athletically and otherwise.

The winter quarter starts January 8, 2018. By then NU will have played 17 games, more than half of the regular season. Pretty unlikely that a transfer joins the team and contributes, without being able to practice with the team until the remaining 14 games of the regular season.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT