ADVERTISEMENT

2017 grad transfer options

Gonzaga guard Bryan Alberts who appears to be down to 3: Long Beach St, VCU, & Weber State, and seems to have 2 years of eligibility which may actually be bad for NU.
It seems that Alberts may be the least weak remaining alternative, but his wanting 2 years could be a deal breaker.
BTW, I had forgotten that Alberts did have an NU offer out of HS!
That doesn't mean a lot but it is certainly relevant.
He also had a solid offer list including, besides NU and Gonzaga, Wisky, Stanford and AzSU plus several others.
One possibly "creative" angle that I hope CCC considers is to bring Alberts on with the understanding that ONLY the 2017-18 year is guaranteed...He may well complete a master's at NU in one year! After that he'd still have one year of eligibility left which he (conceivably) could spend elsewhere, if NU has no space for him in 2018-19 (and he doesn't want to stay as a walkon).
Could be win-win for all involved!!!!!!!

BTW, I had forgotten that Alberts did have an NU offer out of HS!
That doesn't mean a lot but it is certainly relevant.
He also had a solid offer list including, besides NU and Gonzaga, Wisky, Stanford and AzSU plus several others.
One possibly "creative" angle that I hope CCC considers is to bring Alberts on with the understanding that ONLY the 2017-18 year is guaranteed...He may well complete a master's at NU in one year! After that he'd still have one year of eligibility left which he (conceivably) could spend elsewhere, if NU has no space for him in 2018-19 (and he doesn't want to stay as a walkon).
Could be win-win for all involved!!!!!!!

Why would he take that deal? Don't think a grad transfer can be used more than once.

Why would he take that deal? Don't think a grad transfer can be used more than once.
Because he probably is a smart young man who knows he is unlikely to make a lot of money playing pro ball and a NU master's degree would be FAR more valuable to him than a degree from the schools he seems to be considering (see OP). He CAN certainly earn a master's at NU in a year (not that it'd be EZ, but possible). As an econ major he probably understands this sort of things better than most.

Furthermore, even from an athletics PoV, a full ride to play for an up-and-coming team in one of the nation's very best conferences EVEN for a SINGLE year may trump a 2-year offer to play in a modest conference.

Finally, even if only the 2017-18 is "guaranteed" to him, he would have an outside shot at staying on for a 2nd year...best I can tell NU still has two spots open for the 2018-19 year...yes there are a lot of offers out, but it's getting relatively late for the 2018 class (quite a few players have committed already including two to NU)....of course someone could conceivably leave the NU program prematurely for whatever reasons...so NU could after all have a spot for him in 2018-19 (even if no guarantee is given until the end of the 17-18 season).

All that said, neither I nor you can be certain about his thought process...I'd say if I was CCC I'd EXPLORE this possibility and see where it leads. He would for sure beat an empty roster spot for a year.

Last edited:
Because he probably is a smart young men who knows he is unlikely to make a lot of money playing pro ball and a NU master's degree would be FAR more valuable to him than a degree from the schools he seems to e considering (see OP). He CAN certainly earn a master's at NU in a year (not that it'd be EZ, but possible). As an econ major he probably understands this sort of things better than most.
Furthermore, even from an athletics PoV, a full ride to play for an up-and-coming team in one of the very best conferences EVEN for a SINGLE year may trump a 2-year offer to play in a modest conference.
Finally, even if only the 2017-18 is "guaranteed" to him, he would have an outside shot at staying on for a 2nd year...best I can tell NU still has two spots open for the 2018-19 year...yes there are a lot of offers out, but it's getting relatively late for the 2018 class (quite a few players have committed already including two to NU)....of course someone could conceivably leave the NU program prematurely for whatever reasons...so NU could after all have a spot for him in 2018-19 (even if no guarantee is given until the end of the 17-18 season).
All that said, neither I nor you can be certain about his thought process...I'd say if I was CCC I'd EXPLORE this possibility and see where it leads. He would for sure beat an empty roster spot for a year.

So you're again spouting speculation about a kid who's reportedly down to three finalist schools without any particular basis in reality because... it makes you feel smart, I guess? Got it.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/15/ex-zag-bryan-alberts-considering-vcu-long-beach-st/

Last edited:
So you're again spouting speculation about a kid who's reportedly down to three finalist schools without any particular basis
who the F is speculating? Learn to read!

I am simply stating that it may be of mutual benefit for him and NU if he joined the NU program at least for a year, for the reasons I have cited...ZERO speculation whatsoever.

In my OP I stated clearly that he is supposedly considering 3 finalists...then again, given how late it is, the fact that he hasn't yet chosen one of his finalists suggests strongly he may be hoping for something better...which could possibly be NU.

I wonder whether there is really a spot available for a 1-year graduate transfer? I think fans wish there were a spot available, but there is still that issue of Johnnie Vassar hanging out there:
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/johnnie-vassar.31856/

Johnnie Vassar signed with NU but has never played, presumably because coaches came to realize he was not a good enough player to compete at high major level/B1G level as a scholarship player. Northwestern converted his scholarship to an academic scholarship, but I thought there was some question in regards to whether Northwestern could really do that AND not have Vassar count against the 13 allowed scholarships. My understanding is that staff, at various points, treated it like Vassar was not on a basketball scholarship but just did not get around to filling it. In the end, Northwestern may be lucky that it did not fill Vassar's position; because the conference 4-year scholarship guarantee may mean Vassar should have kept the spot even though he was not participating with the team. I think there was a thought process that Vassar would transfer. Instead, Vassar hung around on the academic scholarship and did not transfer for whatever reason (lack of effort?, lack of interest on his part?, lack of interested schools?, etc.) that maybe will come to light from his legal action against the university.

Johnnie Vassar's 4-years are up with the 2017-18 season, so any ambiguity about the scholarship being available would be eliminated for the 2018-19 season and beyond. At the same time, I looked at a lot of lists of available transfers and think it is slim pickings at this point in time for someone who is just in for a one-year graduate transfer situation who also likely meets NU's admissions requirements.

From a coaching/administration perspective; I would just let that spot be kept open just to be on the safe side compliance-wise, especially with that Vassar v NU lawsuit hanging out there. If someone were needed just to get to a 15-man roster, Northwestern could just open up competition to the student body for a third walk on for the upcoming season.

I wonder whether there is really a spot available for a 1-year graduate transfer? I think fans wish there were a spot available, but there is still that issue of Johnnie Vassar hanging out there:
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/johnnie-vassar.31856/

Johnnie Vassar signed with NU but has never played, presumably because coaches came to realize he was not a good enough player to compete at high major level/B1G level as a scholarship player. Northwestern converted his scholarship to an academic scholarship, but I thought there was some question in regards to whether Northwestern could really do that AND not have Vassar count against the 13 allowed scholarships. My understanding is that staff, at various points, treated it like Vassar was not on a basketball scholarship but just did not get around to filling it. In the end, Northwestern may be lucky that it did not fill Vassar's position; because the conference 4-year scholarship guarantee may mean Vassar should have kept the spot even though he was not participating with the team. I think there was a thought process that Vassar would transfer. Instead, Vassar hung around on the academic scholarship and did not transfer for whatever reason (lack of effort?, lack of interest on his part?, lack of interested schools?, etc.) that maybe will come to light from his legal action against the university.

Johnnie Vassar's 4-years are up with the 2017-18 season, so any ambiguity about the scholarship being available would be eliminated for the 2018-19 season and beyond. At the same time, I looked at a lot of lists of available transfers and think it is slim pickings at this point in time for someone who is just in for a one-year graduate transfer situation who also likely meets NU's admissions requirements.

From a coaching/administration perspective; I would just let that spot be kept open just to be on the safe side compliance-wise, especially with that Vassar v NU lawsuit hanging out there. If someone were needed just to get to a 15-man roster, Northwestern could just open up competition to the student body for a third walk on for the upcoming season.

It's been reported that we do have a spot open for 2017-18 so Vassar's scholarship does not count anymore.

who the F is speculating? Learn to read!

I am simply stating that it may be of mutual benefit for him and NU if he joined the NU program at least for a year, for the reasons I have cited...ZERO speculation whatsoever.

In my OP I stated clearly that he is supposedly considering 3 finalists...then again, given how late it is, the fact that he hasn't yet chosen one of his finalists suggests strongly he may be hoping for something better...which could possibly be NU.

Yeah, but GCG's got a point, too. There have not been any reports of NU being in contact with him.

Really, your responses to him were reading like some TV show Fan Fiction. Not that I would know, of course. Just guessing. :)

Bye Felicia!

So you're again spouting speculation about a kid who's reportedly down to three finalist schools without any particular basis in reality because... it makes you feel smart, I guess? Got it.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/15/ex-zag-bryan-alberts-considering-vcu-long-beach-st/

Felicia is also writing a post on the football board about what would happen if Chip Kelly decided to be our football team's offensive coordinator next year.

"Could be a win-win for all involved!!!"

Misapprehended, eh? I don't think anything you've "misapprehended" warrants any kind of discussion.

A former 5* recruit is now looking to transfer from Faber College as its basketball program has been disbanded. GCG2003 do you think NU would be interested ?

Last edited:
It's been reported that we do have a spot open for 2017-18 so Vassar's scholarship does not count anymore.
I got that there are 12 under scholarship with a 13-scholarship limit and that is what is reported on sites like Verbalcommit and so forth that there is 1 more spot. But there was an insinuation in the media coverage from the Vassar v. Northwestern/NCAA case that NU might have improperly converted Vassar's scholarship from an athletic to an academic scholarship. So, even though on paper there is an open scholarship, it might be wise to just let it alone from a compliance perspective just to be on the safe side (plus the money is probably going to account for Vassar's academic scholarship). It might be worth it to burn the scholarship if there was a difference making grad transfer to take in for one year; but it doesn't seem like it right now.

I looked at the following:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017
I also looked at some other lists and just don't see a good match for NU right now that would be worth the trouble considering everything. When you really look at the people who are immediately available for a 1-and-done graduate transfer year, it really is like the cupboard is really bare. About the only one I see that is decent is someone named Rashad Muhammad from Miami (FL), but although he is a graduate transfer and the brother of an NBA player, it seems there might be some character issue (kicked off Miami for "conduct detrimental to the team" which I assume is not academic since he was said to have been graduating).

I understand that it has already been determined that from the NCAA PoV Vassar does NOT count (he has now a non-athletic scholarship). Anyhow, NU has people with expertise in law and NCAA compliance issues, who, upon consultation with appropriate bodies, should be able to advise on this matter...wasting a scholarship "just in case" would seem to me not to be the appropriate course of action.
P.S. I did mention Vassar in my OP.

I also looked at some other lists and just don't see a good match for NU right now that would be worth the trouble considering everything. When you really look at the people who are immediately available for a 1-and-done graduate transfer year, it really is like the cupboard is really bare.
For the reasons given in the posts above(perhaps you skipped most) Alberts (a former NU offeree) could help...just got buried in a very deep team. The NMSU guy might help (I am less confident of this, but he had a solid season just before this past one). The Dartmouth center is a longer shot but he apparently was highly regarded at least by bottom-half D1 programs (had 13 D1 offers). See previous posts.

Last edited:
A former 5* recruit is now looking to transfer from Faber College as its basketball program has been disbanded. GCG2003 do you think NU would be interested ?

Why stop at 5? I think it would be of mutual benefit for NU to recruit a 6-star grad transfer.

Word is he was on double, top secret probation. Maybe not a fit.

For the reasons given in the posts above(perhaps you skipped most) Alberts (a former NU offeree) could help...just got buried in a very deep team. The NMSU guy might help (I am less confident of this, but he had a solid season just before this past one). The Dartmouth center is a longer shot but he apparently was highly regarded at least by bottom-half D1 programs (had 13 D1 offers). See previous posts.

Yeah, but what's the point in going on and on about this when there is no reported contact between Alberts and NU?

If you're saying that NU should get in touch, then why don't you call the basketball office?

While you're at it, tell them that we should sign R.J. Barrett and the other top 5 recruiting prospects for 2019. Tell them that those guys "might help."

Yeah, but what's the point in going on and on about this when there is no reported contact between Alberts and NU?
There were contacts for sure a few years ago...that's why he got an offer...as for now, when did I say I knew there had been contacts? Who the F says that we are forbidden to talk about a player unless there had been reported "contacts" between the player and the program? Fact is NU has an open position, and there are still grad transfers who are uncommitted...I listed a few of those who seem like they might POSSIBLY be a fit at NU...that's all...
Anyway, there may have been contacts which neither the staff nor the players has reported...so what...it is irrelevant to this thread.

Reactions: willycat
FWIW, ISU grad transfer Deontae Hawkins, who had been committed to BC, is now apparently again uncommitted. He may now be the top grad transfer still available and is drawing interest from several B1G schools, including Michigan, Wisc, Mich St., as well as from other "high majors"... don't know anything about NU one way or the other.

FWIW, ISU grad transfer Deontae Hawkins, who had been committed to BC, is now apparently again uncommitted. He may now be the top grad transfer still available and is drawing interest from several B1G schools, including Michigan, Wisc, Mich St., as well as from other "high majors"... don't know anything about NU one way or the other.

What about Michael Jordan? Didn't he leave UNC early? Eligibility left?

Also, what about Bugs Bunny? He was pretty good in Space Jam.

FWIW, ISU grad transfer Deontae Hawkins, who had been committed to BC, is now apparently again uncommitted. He may now be the top grad transfer still available and is drawing interest from several B1G schools
Apparently 2018 5-star prospect Marvin Bagley (<--) (nation's #1 by major recruiting sites) is seriously considering reclassifying (<--) for 2017. While it would be earth-shattering for such a highly ranked prospect to seriously entertain a scholarship offer from NU there are however some minimally encouraging signs.

Obviously most if not all the "blue bloods" in his lists (for example Arizona, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky) apparently no longer have openings for 2017, whereas NU apparently does have one opening. Furthermore, he counts among his 2018 offers Vandy's and Duke's. At least the Vandy offer suggests his grades MAY be strong enough for NU. Some may say Duke's offer also indicates that (opinions vary on this and that is OUTSIDE THE SCOPE of this thread). At least the Duke's offer suggests he is wiling to consider an academically rigorous private school, plus CCC MIGHT have had some direct contact with him as a Duke coach, assuming Duke started following him years ago.

Anyway, no sensible person should bet his life savings on his joining NU for 2017, but if he does reclassify for 2017, the odds of that happening are perhaps non-negligible, and definitely SLIGHTLY higher than they would be under normal conditions .

Let's hope the reason why NU is seemingly still holding on a 2017 scholarship is Bagley (or someone else who would also be an extremely pleasant surprise if he were to join the cats).

Last edited:
This is a stretch.

First, Coach Collins came to Northwestern in 2013. Bagley would have been in like 7th grade, I don't think that he would have developed anytype of relationship with him.

Second, he doesn't have an NU offer, so there is literally nothing to consider. Regarding Vandy, Rivals lists his interest as "none"

Third, come on man!! He ain't coming to NU. Let's get THT and Bey and keep building! Neither Rome, nor Duke were built overnight.

This is a stretch.
Can you read my post again?
The offer list you saw is for 2018. If he does reclassify to 2017 his list would be quite different, and far more modest because a lot of programs (especially the "blue-blooded" types) have no room left for 2017. That's why I said that *IF* he does reclassify NU odds (while probably small) would be non-negligible... Heck, we don't even know which other major conference teams have room for 2017!!

At least the Duke's offer suggests he is wiling to consider an academically rigorous private school,

Unlikely he is entertaining a Duke offer for any reason than getting 1 year of playing experience with Coach K. Bagley is a prototypical "1 and done", and academic rigors are probably not on his radar screen.......

Unlikely he is entertaining a Duke offer for any reason than getting 1 year of playing experience with Coach K. Bagley is a prototypical "1 and done", and academic rigors are probably not on his radar screen.......
Possibly. Nevertheless he'd still have to do quite a bit of work to survive at Duke for at least a year. I don't think anyone has suggested Duke just has tutors do its athletes' work or gives them passing grades for no work. And if he just wants to play a year of college basketball somewhere, there are plenty of places that'd be far easier to get by than Duke (and would have a comparable athletic profile). I suspect Vandy might be comparably tough to Duke for THESE purposes (but have no direct experience at either place). Anyway, whatever he could possibly do or have done at Duke or Vandy (for one year or longer) he could potentially do at NU.

As I said VERY CLEARLY already, it'd be at best a very long shot for NU, but not quite as long if he does reclassify (and probably not much longer that it would be for Vandy and several others in his 2018 list).

P.S. On a side note, as a PF he may STILL be far too small for the NBA (6-10 190 lbs). That may be ONE reason why he MIGHT stay in college for 2 years or longer (just bulking up).

Last edited:

Yeah but what about Foghorn Leghorn? He's got some girth and personality. He's every bit as likely to contribute to NU basketball as the likelihood of Bagley to NU.

Yesterdays Cat is right on the money. Foghorn Leghorn will be FS' next choice for the mysterious 13th scholarship. These posts are a great combo of lunacy and hilarity. From all reports, Bagley is going to visit three schools - UofA, USC and Duke. Not NU. And BTW, Bagley is the no. 1 recruit for 2018 and if he reclassifies, many recruiting experts have him as the no. 1 2017 recruit. That means his skills mean he will not be in college for 2 years. He is gone after his mandatory year in college and that is a key reason why he might want to reclassify. There once was a very thin 6'10-6'11 forward who made it in the NBA. He wears no. 35 on the NBA champion.

Think this sums up these posts nicely...
If you do know which players NU is contacting for its final 2017 opening, please, do tell us about it. I for one am not privileged to be informed by the NU coaching staff about all or even some of their contacts of possible recruits. And I don't even know why they would inform anyone, since most programs make all reasonable efforts to keep such contacts secret. Perhaps they do tell you.
The rest of us can only discuss possible recruits based on public information at the recruiting sites, which doesn't generally include a comprehensive list of each and every school that has had contacts with the given player.

If you do know which players NU is contacting for its final 2017 opening, please, do tell us about it. I for one am not privileged to be informed by the NU coaching staff about all or even some of their contacts of possible recruits. And I don't even know why they would inform anyone, since most programs make all reasonable efforts to keep such contacts secret. Perhaps they do tell you.
The rest of us can only discuss possible recruits based on public information at the recruiting sites, which doesn't generally include a comprehensive list of each and every school that has had contacts with the given player.

It's not the knowing it's the speculation without any evidence. Zion Williamson is not coming to NU but we don't need a post about. I will give you my thoughts on this: it's a real tough sell to convince a kid to come to Evanston for this season. Stop gap practice facility and games 45 minutes from campus. Plus you have to play school as well. Then to cap it off there are very few minutes available. Collins is looking for game changers at this point and needs a few to get to the next level. With the limitations to program bc construction it's next to impossible to imagine one arriving before September.

Reactions: Gladeskat
From all reports, Bagley is going to visit three schools - UofA, USC and Duke. Not NU. And BTW, Bagley is the no. 1 recruit for 2018 and if he reclassifies, many recruiting experts have him as the no. 1 2017 recruit.
Maybe all reports are wrong or you are confusing 2018 and 2017 visits...

I predict that if he DOES reclassify, he will NOT visit the schools that according to you 'all reports' say he will visit. I base my prediction on the fact that at least some of those schools (probably ALL 3 of them) do NOT have any openings for 2017.

Then again, he might become a walkon...first consensus #1 recruit to become a walkon ever...not likely but who knows...Baring that he will have to choose among the much smaller number of schools that still have opened scholarships for 2017...a group that apparently does include NU.

Maybe all reports are wrong or you are confusing 2018 and 2017 visits...

I predict that if he DOES reclassify, he will NOT visit the schools that according to you 'all reports' say he will visit. I base my prediction on the fact that at least some of those schools (probably ALL 3 of them) do NOT have any openings for 2017.

Then again, he might become a walkon...first consensus #1 recruit to become a walkon ever...not likely but who knows...Baring that he will have to choose among the much smaller number of schools that still have opened scholarships for 2017...a group that apparently does include NU.

Stop spamming the board with made-up BS.

Okay. Here is the test of credibility. A poster who has been wrong 100 percent of the time on his wild and baseless speculation on who NU should be targeting. Or Garry Parrish, the head college basketball writer for cbssports.com who writes a story 17 hours ago listing the Bagley reclassification story as his no. 1 story in college basketball right now and mentions the three front runners for the 2017 season as Duke, UofA (in his home state) and USC. Let the readers of this site decide who has better sources and is more credible.

three front runners for the 2017 season as Duke, UofA (in his home state) and USC.
There is ZERO speculation in posting a players profile and stating that he can be a fit for NU, and that he is worth following. I suggest you look the word up in a dictionary.
In the case of Bagley, I clearly stated that I view the probability that he ends up at NU as extremely small, but non negligible if he does reclassify for 2017 simply because most major BkB programs have no room left for 2017, whereas NU does have. That is a fact, no speculation.
You should have linked the article you are referring to. I also know of reputable sites that state that some or all the schools you cited for 2017 do NOT have scholarships available for 2017. In fact, the very article I linked from an Arizona site states that AZ does NOT have 2017 openings.

Last edited:
Okay. Here is the test of credibility. A poster who has been wrong 100 percent of the time on his wild and baseless speculation on who NU should be targeting. Or Garry Parrish, the head college basketball writer for cbssports.com who writes a story 17 hours ago listing the Bagley reclassification story as his no. 1 story in college basketball right now and mentions the three front runners for the 2017 season as Duke, UofA (in his home state) and USC. Let the readers of this site decide who has better sources and is more credible.
Feli is probably the most annoying poster on the basketball and football boards. His/her longtime contempt for NU is well-documented, and you are correct that he is almost always wrong, but don't let your justifiable disdain for the person get you all riled up about perfectly harmless speculation. It is news if a top recruit reclassifies from 2018 to 2017, and it's nothing more than harmless fun to consider whether NU could find its way into the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT