ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 NET ratings thread

From a predictive standpoint? Yes, absolutely. From a strength of record standpoint? Likely no.
We actually got more of an overall efficiency boost in predictive models from losing to Purdue by 9 in OT than from beating Detroit by 32.

NU is pretty much a tournament lock at this point, but let's take a look at the resume heading into the conference tournament. We have risen to NET #50. Unfortunately, we have lost both a Quad 1 and a Quad 2 win as Maryland has dropped out of the top 75.

QUAD 1 (4-6)
H #2 Purdue - W
A #2 Purdue - L
H #15 Illinois - W
A #15 Illinois - L
H #21 Dayton - W
A #22 Wisconsin - L
H #25 Michigan State - W
A #25 Michigan State - L
A #37 Nebraska - L
N #42 Mississippi State - L

QUAD 2 (5-3)
H #37 Nebraska - W
H #54 Ohio State - W
H #60 Iowa - L
A #77 Maryland - W
A #86 Minnesota - L
A #89 Penn State - W
A #93 Indiana - W
A #102 Rutgers - L

QUAD 3 (5-0)
H #77 Maryland - W
H #86 Minnesota - W
H #89 Penn State - W
N #125 Arizona State - W
H #132 Michigan - W

QUAD 4 (7-1)
N #211 Rhode Island - W
H #274 Binghamton - W
H #286 Western Michigan - W
H #294 Jackson State - W
H #298 Northern Illinois - W
H #299 Chicago State - L
A #322 DePaul - W
H #357 Detroit Mercy - W

NU's first tournament game will be against Wisconsin (Quad 1), Maryland (Quad 2), or Rutgers (Quad 3).

NU is pretty much a tournament lock at this point, but let's take a look at the resume heading into the conference tournament. We have risen to NET #50. Unfortunately, we have lost both a Quad 1 and a Quad 2 win as Maryland has dropped out of the top 75.

QUAD 1 (4-6)
H #2 Purdue - W
A #2 Purdue - L
H #15 Illinois - W
A #15 Illinois - L
H #21 Dayton - W
A #22 Wisconsin - L
H #25 Michigan State - W
A #25 Michigan State - L
A #37 Nebraska - L
N #42 Mississippi State - L

QUAD 2 (5-3)
H #37 Nebraska - W
H #54 Ohio State - W
H #60 Iowa - L
A #77 Maryland - W
A #86 Minnesota - L
A #89 Penn State - W
A #93 Indiana - W
A #102 Rutgers - L

QUAD 3 (5-0)
H #77 Maryland - W
H #86 Minnesota - W
H #89 Penn State - W
N #125 Arizona State - W
H #132 Michigan - W

QUAD 4 (7-1)
N #211 Rhode Island - W
H #274 Binghamton - W
H #286 Western Michigan - W
H #294 Jackson State - W
H #299 Chicago State - L
A #322 DePaul - W
H #357 Detroit Mercy - W

NU's first tournament game will be against Wisconsin (Quad 1), Maryland (Quad 2), or Rutgers (Quad 3).
Michigan st at 25 is absurd. That win over Baylor is doing some heavy lifting.

Successful in the sense that he's made a living off of his website and been the inspiration for countless others to try and study basketball in similar ways. Torvik has always credited Pomeroy as the best, btw.

Seems like you should create your own website and charge for it since your model is superior, you must be leaving a lot of money on the table.

Can we do a two-for-one subscription in conjunction with the Premium Basketball Board??

Reactions: UpsetAlert
Here's our final resume, checking in at #53 today.

QUAD 1 (4-7)
H #3 Purdue - W
A #3 Purdue - L
H #15 Illinois - W
A #15 Illinois - L
N #18 Wisconsin - L
A #18 Wisconsin - L
H #23 Dayton - W
H #24 Michigan State - W
A #24 Michigan State - L
N #31 Mississippi State - L
A #33 Nebraska - L

QUAD 2 (5-3)
H #33 Nebraska - W
H #49 Ohio State - W
H #62 Iowa - L
A #82 Maryland - W
A #86 Penn State - W
A #89 Minnesota - L
A #98 Indiana - W
A #103 Rutgers - L

QUAD 3 (5-0)
H #82 Maryland - W
H #86 Penn State - W
H #89 Minnesota - W
H #133 Michigan - W
N #134 Arizona State - W

QUAD 4 (7-1)
N #211 Rhode Island - W
H #274 Binghamton - W
H #292 Western Michigan - W
H #297 Chicago State - L
H #300 Jackson State - W
A #320 DePaul - W
H #356 Detroit Mercy - W

Isn't home against Nebraska now a quad 1? Thought it was home vs. Top 35.

"We're 32 in the NET," Rick Pitino told reporters on Sunday. "Well, first of all, I think we'll all probably never mention that word again, because I think it's fraudulent. My son was 25 in the NET, and they were saying he wasn't in with 25 wins. I think the NET's something that shouldn't even be mentioned anymore."

"I think that we had a good strength of schedule, KenPom, why mention him, we were 26 in KenPom. So, I don't know. We tried to play a tough schedule, we tried to do things the right way. And we didn't get in."

The NET will be (hopefully) revised again following this season. Or replaced.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I don't understand how coaches themselves don't understand: 1) that NET is far from the only yardstick and 2) that the committee is disciplined about giving the regular season it's much-deserved weight.

The Mountain West, aside from SDSU, has an abysmal record in the NCAA Tournament. All Big East teams had 4 easy wins against DePaul and Georgetown. Yes, those Big East Tournament games looked amazing but they were playing each other.

Reactions: macarthur31
I don't understand how coaches themselves don't understand: 1) that NET is far from the only yardstick and 2) that the committee is disciplined about giving the regular season it's much-deserved weight.

The Mountain West, aside from SDSU, has an abysmal record in the NCAA Tournament. All Big East teams had 4 easy wins against DePaul and Georgetown. Yes, those Big East Tournament games looked amazing but they were playing each other.
Its quite possible that Saint John's is as good or better than every team in the Mountain West.

Wyoming, Fresno, San Jose and Air Force are bad teams. 7-8 free wins for the rest of that conference.

Its quite possible that Saint John's is as good or better than every team in the Mountain West.

Wyoming, Fresno, San Jose and Air Force are bad teams. 7-8 free wins for the rest of that conference.

The thing about St John was they piled up losses against teams that didn’t make the tournament. I feel more sorry for Seton Hall who looked better than a few of the play-in teams (and beat St John twice).

The thing about St John was they piled up losses against teams that didn’t make the tournament. I feel more sorry for Seton Hall who looked better than a few of the play-in teams (and beat St John twice).
The Big East is a stronger conference than the Mountain West.
The Mountain West is lower than the ACC.
It is closer to the Atlantic 10 in overall quality than it is to the Big East.

"We're 32 in the NET," Rick Pitino told reporters on Sunday. "Well, first of all, I think we'll all probably never mention that word again, because I think it's fraudulent. My son was 25 in the NET, and they were saying he wasn't in with 25 wins. I think the NET's something that shouldn't even be mentioned anymore."

"I think that we had a good strength of schedule, KenPom, why mention him, we were 26 in KenPom. So, I don't know. We tried to play a tough schedule, we tried to do things the right way. And we didn't get in."

The NET will be (hopefully) revised again following this season. Or replaced.
You, Pitino, and half the people around here seem to remain confused that the NET is primarily used to generate the semi-arbitrary quad win/loss record breakdown to describe each team’s resume. The predictive stats are important, but teams have to have accomplished the goods too. Thats what the NET is used to describe.

At Johns isn’t even the team with the biggest NET/predictive gripe, but Indiana State really accomplished very little of note on their resume when it comes down to it.

ALL THAT SAID: it’s basically a pick-em between the likes of St Johns and Virginia and the other extreme bubble teams, so you could trade who is in and who is out and it wouldn’t tell you that much about what the committee valued. The distinctions were tight and the bid stealers had to **** over somebody.

You, Pitino, and half the people around here seem to remain confused that the NET is primarily used to generate the semi-arbitrary quad win/loss record breakdown to describe each team’s resume.
I'm not confused about the NET whatsoever.
My guess is that I explained it to you.
And I'll go out on a limb and say Rick Pitino understands the process very well.

The use of the term "bid-stealers" strikes me as a major "cover your ass" campaign by the NCAA. The NCAA sanctioned the conference tournaments. Teams who win those tournaments have earned automatic invitations to the NCAA's tournament, according to the rules laid out by the NCAA. To accuse those teams of stealing bids is sheer hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I'm not confused about the NET whatsoever.
My guess is that I explained it to you.
And I'll go out on a limb and say Rick Pitino understands the process very well.
You definitely didn’t explain the process to me and Pitino definitely knows what he’s saying and for what reason he’s saying it

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Except for MSU.
Michigan has a resume that befits their station. They’re a potentially tough draw at that seed given they are probably a better and more dangerous team than they’ve put on paper this year.

ConferenceRecord against Top-50Tourney TeamNon-Tourney teamRecord against Top-100Tourney teamNon-Tourney team
Big 1212-1810-112-722-2716-126-15
Big East15-198-47-1526-2513-513-20
Big 1011-228-93-1322-2916-106-19
SEC12-228-154-730-3621-199-17
ACC13-247-56-1923-3610-813-28
P129-255-34-2217-317-510-26
MWC8-127-61-616-1914-92-10

Based off of Torvik ratings. This is for nonconference games only, sorted by teams that made the tourney and teams that didn't from each conference.

How did BYU do with their #12 NET?

Ha Ha Ha.

Torvik had the MSU game as a 66-65 win.
missed it by 17.
I read on this forum that the NET is based on algorithms tailored to gamblers. If enough gamblers lose their lunch, maybe the NET will change to something that better-reflects reality.

How did BYU do with their #12 NET?

Ha Ha Ha.

Torvik had the MSU game as a 66-65 win.
missed it by 17.
BYU was NET #12??!!! Huh?!

Wow, KenPom #19 too. Haven’t seen them all year so must have missed the point on them, but they looked like the expected group of unathletic Mormon outside shooters todag

BYU was NET #12??!!! Huh?!

Wow, KenPom #19 too. Haven’t seen them all year so must have missed the point on them, but they looked like the expected group of unathletic Mormon outside shooters todag

Yeah they were legit good this year. Ended the season ranked #21, crushed Iowa State at home, beat Kansas on the road, got the 5-seed in their first Big XII tourney. Seemed like one of the surest bets to win in the first round, and yet...

Yeah they were legit good this year. Ended the season ranked #21, crushed Iowa State at home, beat Kansas on the road, got the 5-seed in their first Big XII tourney. Seemed like one of the surest bets to win in the first round, and yet...
Duquesne started A10 play with 5 straight losses.
They finished with 8 straight wins, including the conference tournament.
Deep team. Aggressive, physical defense. Bad match for BYU.

Then LeBron James bought the whole team new shoes because his old high school coach is the head coach at Duquesne.

The Cougars never had a chance... even though they were laying 9.5.

Reactions: phatcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT