ADVERTISEMENT

2025 QB Marcus Romain commits to Northwestern

Good news. A top target for the coaching staff. Huge to pull from the A-list.

However, I will reserve judgment until I see his star rating. (Kidding!)

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
This is great news getting a commitment from Lujan’s early QB target. Sure he’s not a 4* out of the gate recruit, but he is a good athlete who plays in the highest division in GA (I think). As always, it’ll come down to his arm AND in-game decisionmaking (as we’ve seen for our past several QBs).

Height not ideal and seems like a bit of a project (as a passer).

But if he can be developed into a reasonable (if not better) facsimile of Persia - would be delighted.

Reactions: mesacat
MaxPreps has a pretty full accounting of his stats.

“Run-heavy”: Looks like he gets 8-12 attempts for game. Last year his TD:INT was 11:3.

Looks like he became a starter as a freshman.

He’s listed at 6-0, 200, which means he may or may not be bigger than Persa/Colter.

Wheeler is also the Wildcats.

They’ve gone from 1-9 to 5-6 to 7-4 since he’s been there. That’s a very nice trend.

To be clear, I was (am) a huge fan of Colter. A true warrior, and, what I like best, he won games. I still have a #2 jersey from back then. It saddens me what happened in his life post NU.

Just saying that Colter would have been much more of a dual threat had his serious shoulder injury never occurred. That would be the hope for Romain, though has work to do as a passer.

Just saying that Colter would have been much more of a dual threat had his serious shoulder injury never occurred. That would be the hope for Romain, though has work to do as a passer.
Still, Colter finished his NU career with 69% completions and 2:1 TD to INT ratio. I didn’t check but I’m guessing that is better than any of our last several QBs outside of the one year wonders Ramsey and Bryant. We were comparing Colter to Siemian (an NFL QB in waiting) side by side, so as a scrappy college QB he was better than most of us remember, and would almost certainly be the best QB on our current 2024 roster.

Still, Colter finished his NU career with 69% completions and 2:1 TD to INT ratio. I didn’t check but I’m guessing that is better than any of our last several QBs outside of the one year wonders Ramsey and Bryant. We were comparing Colter to Siemian (an NFL QB in waiting) side by side, so as a scrappy college QB he was better than most of us remember, and would almost certainly be the best QB on our current 2024 roster.
I think that was the most fun NU offense I've seen. He was deadly in the red zone.

I really don’t wanna go there again (please no @EvanstonCat ), but Colter’s passing numbers have to be considered with a LOT of context. He didn’t have the arm strength to push the ball downfield consistently. Period. It still “worked” because he was enough of an athlete to attack defenses with his legs (and had a fun backfield partner in Venric), but he was very limited as a passer because of his arm strength despite good overall numbers.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I really don’t wanna go there again (please no @EvanstonCat ), but Colter’s passing numbers have to be considered with a LOT of context. He didn’t have the arm strength to push the ball downfield consistently. Period. It still “worked” because he was enough of an athlete to attack defenses with his legs (and had a fun backfield partner in Venric), but he was very limited as a passer because of his arm strength despite good overall numbers.
Colter’s yards per pass attempt were higher than Ramsey or Bryant. I get what you’re saying though, I would never confuse Colter’s downfield passing for theirs…

Colter’s yards per pass attempt were higher than Ramsey or Bryant. I get what you’re saying though, I would never confuse Colter’s downfield passing for theirs…

I was literally on the practice fields and I have eyeballs.

He made the O work and he won which is what you want in your QB

Why is he our quarterback recruit if he has so much to work on?

Sounds good hopefully he can make quick decisions on the field that's a key element of success as well
The previous regime whiffed on every QB recruit after Thorson, although Sully may still do well and Gray is TBD. Let's give the new coaches a chance to prove themselves. I'd be thrilled with Colter level of production

Reactions: mountaindrew
I hate to pull the "rug" out from under your "Persia" expectation, but probably more like Colter. Not a bad thing, he was a great player

While agree with your sentiment, still hoping for the best.

Being a "dual threat" has more more to do with processing ability and being able to read coverages than arm strength.

Plenty of so-called dual threat QBs with rocket arms have flamed out.

Drew Brees' arm was shot the last couple of years in NO, but he was still an above average NFL QB (throwing into tighter windows).

Colter is more like Russ (minus the arm strength) - limited in operating from the pocket.

Russ, however, is good at extending passing plays with his legs (something Colter never really did), when he isn't holding onto the ball too long and then running into a sack.

While agree with your sentiment, still hoping for the best.

Being a "dual threat" has more more to do with processing ability and being able to read coverages than arm strength.

Plenty of so-called dual threat QBs with rocket arms have flamed out.

Drew Brees' arm was shot the last couple of years in NO, but he was still an above average NFL QB (throwing into tighter windows).

Colter is more like Russ (minus the arm strength) - limited in operating from the pocket.
CatMan’s spitting, the truth, the truth.
Russ, however, is good at extending passing plays with his legs (something Colter never really did), when he isn't holding onto the ball too long and then running into a sack.

Yes.

No.

Yep.

Really?

No! No. 😂

I’m happy to keep doing that for you all.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Russell Wilson. But his talents and Colter’s were and are much much different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT