ADVERTISEMENT

2025 QB Marcus Romain commits to Northwestern

Yes.

No.

Yep.

Really?

No! No. 😂

I’m happy to keep doing that for you all.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Russell Wilson. But his talents and Colter’s were and are much much different.

They are different in the sense that Russ was much better at extending passing plays with his legs, but the 2 are very similar in holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks.

Both are also similar in that they were limited at processing and reading defenses.

A closer NFL comp to Colter would be early Lamar (except Lamar being on another stratosphere as a runner).

Big reason why the Ravens keep failing to progress deep into the PO's is that Lamar, while improved, still isn't up there as a QB operating from the pocket.

When Persa (who didnt exactly have a stromg arm) could no longer run around, he operated strictly from the pocket and still put up big passing nos.

Colter was incapable of doing so; if he was, there wouldn't have been a rotation with Siemian.

Last edited:
They are different in the sense that Russ was much better at extending passing plays with his legs, but the 2 are very similar in holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks.

Both are also similar in that they were limited at processing and reading defenses.

A closer NFL comp to Colter would be early Lamar (except Lamar being on another stratosphere as a runner).

Big reason why the Ravens keep failing to progress deep into the PO's is that Lamar, while improved, still isn't up there as a QB operating from the pocket.

When Persa (who didnt exactly have a stromg arm) could no longer run around, he operated strictly from the pocket and still put up big passing nos.

Colter was incapable of doing so; if he was, there wouldn't have been a rotation with Siemian.
Remind me, who got (nearly?) all of the starts in that rotation

Being a "dual threat" has more more to do with processing ability and being able to read coverages than arm strength.

Plenty of so-called dual threat QBs with rocket arms have flamed out.

Drew Brees' arm was shot the last couple of years in NO, but he was still an above average NFL QB (throwing into tighter windows).

Colter is more like Russ (minus the arm strength) - limited in operating from the pocket.

Russ, however, is good at extending passing plays with his legs (something Colter never really did), when he isn't holding onto the ball too long and then running into a sack.

No it doesn’t.

You’re just making shit up now.

Reactions: chariots

Now we’re comparing Colter to Lamar Jackson, another NFL HOF, instead of Russ Wilson, a likely NFL HOF QB?

Colter could barely throw the ball 30 yards.

Lamar could sneeze the ball that far.

The Ravens didn’t advance this postseason largely because they abandoned their identity. I didn’t watch a ton of their game against the Chiefs but if they had pounded the ball they’d likely have advanced instead of Mahomes.

BTW I love the Derrick Henry signing for Baltimore. The Ravens offense should rush for a billion yards next season. We’ll see if Lamar finally breaks thru.

Colter was never an NFL QB and was barely a collegiate one. He was a really good athlete- loved him as a slot WR and a change of pace Wildcat QB. And he helped us win a lot of games as that change of pace… behind Siemian, who clearly was a NFL QB.

Reactions: BleedingPurple15
Colter was never an NFL QB and was barely a collegiate one. He was a really good athlete- loved him as a slot WR and a change of pace Wildcat QB. And he helped us win a lot of games as that change of pace… behind Siemian, who clearly was a NFL QB.

Hmmmmm.... Colter (NU 10-3 in 2012, one of best offenses in NU history) was "barely" a college QB. And Siemian (NU 5-7 in 2014, crappy offense, crappy passing stats) was "clearly" an NFL QB.

CMT, it sure is a good thing you remind us constantly that you are THE source of Truth on this board. I never would have known.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.... Colter (NU 10-3 in 2012, one of best offenses in NU history) was "barely" a college QB. And Siemian (NU 5-7 in 2014, crappy offense, crappy passing stats) was "clearly" an NFL QB.

CMT, it sure is a good thing you remind us constantly that you are THE source of Truth on this board. I would have never known.
Ho boy. I’m going to wait 24 hours and then fully unload. But let’s have this debate - it likely merits its own thread! Some framing questions to get us started.

Who was Colter’s co-QB in 2012?

Who ran in the game winning TD to snap our record setting bowl winning streak?

Who could have saved us from the embarrassing loss to Army in 2011 if he had been put in the game and told to pass?

That 2014 record is highly misleading. Who led us to a mind boggling comeback in South Bend in 2014, blew his knee out to miss the last game of the season (which we likely would have won), and miss a bowl?

Also, which of the two made millions as a quarterback?

Ho boy. I’m going to wait 24 hours and then fully unload. But let’s have this debate - it likely merits its own thread! Some framing questions to get us started.

Who could have saved us from the embarrassing loss to Army in 2011 if he had been put in the game and told to pass?

That 2014 record is highly misleading. Who led us to a mind boggling comeback in South Bend in 2014, blew his knee out to miss the last game of the season (which we likely would have won), and miss a bowl?

The question is not who did the best in the pros but who was best for us in QB role. What makes a guy successful in college is not the same as what allows a guy to make it as a pro. For the most part we were better with Colter as QB than Seimian. He (Colter) gave us an added dimension that we needed and Seimian did not really have that we needed to be successful. Seimian was given opportunities to fill in and change the tempo and did well in those roles but while he was here, Coulter was the better alternative to start. When Colter moved on, a more mature Seimian got his opportunity to start.

While he was here, the Colter was the guy that we needed to be the starter.

Last edited:

Colter was better. Period. Siemian was a good player and contributed. Colter won games

Remind me, who got (nearly?) all of the starts in that rotation

Remind me who had to come in when the Cats were behind and/or needed a quick score?

Isn't that one of the leading parameters for a good QB - being able to lead his team to a comeback win?

Colter got the start and bulk of the snaps early was in large part due to McC's system with regard to the passing gane being difficult for QBs to learn (altho Trevor is better at that than most), but also needing to be on the same page as the receivers (which is why frosh WRs rarely contributed in the system).

McC's Read&React system was overly complex (and not necessarily for opposing defenses) - needing experienced players across the board which is why it was a stupid system for college.

The fact that Fitz decided to go with the equivalent on D again - after having experienced both Colby and McC was simply mind-boggling.

Highly doubt Colter would have led the Cats to wins over Wisky, PSU and the Domers in one season like Trevor did, much less lead a comeback against the UM (ultimately falling short due to Fitz's stubborness).

Much easier for a D to defend a "running QB" as opposed to an experienced passer.

Just look at Army - not a lot of talent, but had the discipline to not over-pursue.

Now we’re comparing Colter to Lamar Jackson, another NFL HOF, instead of Russ Wilson, a likely NFL HOF QB?

Colter could barely throw the ball 30 yards.

Lamar could sneeze the ball that far.

The Ravens didn’t advance this postseason largely because they abandoned their identity. I didn’t watch a ton of their game against the Chiefs but if they had pounded the ball they’d likely have advanced instead of Mahomes.

BTW I love the Derrick Henry signing for Baltimore. The Ravens offense should rush for a billion yards next season. We’ll see if Lamar finally breaks thru.

Comparing styles of play is not the same as comparing the QBs.

Russ still throws a very nice deep ball and yet so many of his passes last season were around the LoS.

The Ravens losing b/c they abandoned their identity actually supports my position.

Lamar is still not there when it comes to diagnosing defenses, processing and making the right reads, making it fool hardy to abandon the run as much as the they did.

Notwithstanding that, the Ravens were even more reliant on the run in previous seasons with Lamar with even worse results in the POs.

The O under McC was a possession, ball control O (altho going 3 and out repeatedly was the antithesis of that) - predicated on mostly short/intermediate passes, so the QB didn't necessarily need tons of arm strength.

Last edited:
MaxPreps has a pretty full accounting of his stats.

“Run-heavy”: Looks like he gets 8-12 attempts for game. Last year his TD:INT was 11:3.

Looks like he became a starter as a freshman.

He’s listed at 6-0, 200, which means he may or may not be bigger than Persa/Colter.

Wheeler is also the Wildcats.

They’ve gone from 1-9 to 5-6 to 7-4 since he’s been there. That’s a very nice trend.
Well at least he has more attempts per game than Jason Whittaker had all season.

Reactions: NUCat320
Colter was better. Period. Siemian was a good player and contributed. Colter won games
Not quite as egregious as saying Bajakian’s offense won us games but pretty damn close.

Siemian was an NFL QB. Colter could have helped the team more at WR and he threw the team and his coach under a bus and created all this NIL nonsense.

Not quite as egregious as saying Bajakian’s offense won us games but pretty damn close.

Siemian was an NFL QB. Colter could have helped the team more at WR and he threw the team and his coach under a bus and created all this NIL nonsense.
Colter created NIL like Al Gore created the Internet.

NIL traces back to UCLA’s Ed Obannon suing the NCAA over commercial rights to NIL.

lol for comparing Kain Colter to Lamar

Brother, you should let go of those eyerolls like @CoralSpringsCat apparently let go of our Basketball cats.

We’re playing the #1 UConn Huskies on Sunday! Let the anger go, guys. We can make history.
The only better match-up Sunday than uconn would be duke....so let's beat uconn then maybe that other program might cross our path??

Last edited:
Brother, you should let go of those eyerolls like @CoralSpringsCat apparently let go of our Basketball cats.

We’re playing the #1 UConn Huskies on Sunday! Let the anger go, guys. We can make history.

Amen, CMT. Excited about tomorrow.

Dude, no anger here, just having fun with my Truth Man. And c'mon, that joke called for AT LEAST an eye roll.

I don't like anchovies in my Caesar salad, but this is fantastic.
It's not a Caesar salad if it doesn't have anchovies, just lettuce and croutons. I usually ask for a double portion of the delicious little fish, and keep a good supply at home for various pizzas.

Without looking, where was the Caesar salad invented? (The answer will blow your mind.)

I don’t know how “clearly“ one could be an NFL QB than being an NFL QB. What going on something like eight years now?

Meanwhile, the other player was asked by NFL teams to play WR and never was sniffed at as a QB. I wonder how he might have done in the League had he a track record playing his more natural position in college (and regularly thrown to by an actual NFL QB to be). Imagine if Dwayne Bates had insisted on playing QB in college, the position for which he was recruited. What would have been different about those B1G title teams, and would he still have had a career as an NFL receiver? Fortunately, we will never know.

And this 10-3 BS aside from your cogent comment on the many saving appearances of his reliever (needed in all cases when we fell behind, though unfortunately in some cases, our dumbass coaches were too stubborn to make the switch earlier enough, ahem Army) - we won 10 games DESPITE a pedestrian offense that could have been better by getting the two best offensive players on the field at the same time instead of sharing time and making one sit on the bench.

It’s like saying Bajakian was an offensive genius because he led an offense that won 10 games (again with a top 5 defense) or got us 8 wins, even though his offense would have gotten him fired anywhere where people had any standards (as in top quartile performances).

We won 10 games because of Mike Hankwitz and DESPITE our offenses. How many wins might have been had we had a high powered offense to go with it? I truly hope with the Fitzgerald era put to rest 10 feet under (RIP), we are done with this BS and actually try to excel on both sides of the ball and try to score as many points as possible instead of trying to be Iowa’s little brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Siemian was too much of a gunslinger at that point. Occasionally it was beneficial to have that and that was when he was brought in and teams did not have the time to prepare so he was able to get away with the throws he put in harms way. Colter added a dimension with our OL that we needed and was the guy that needed to start

lol for comparing Kain Colter to Lamar

Again, comparing style of play/weaknesses is not the same thing as comparing physical talent.

Denard Robinson was closer to Lamar than Colter in terms of physical talent where there was Heisman talk until the Wolverines ran into the meat of the B1G schedule, where the better defenses pretty much shut DR down.

It took a Colby D to make Denard look like a B1G passing QB.

Just like Justin and Russ, Colter got sacked way too many times holding on to the ball (Colter had a good bit higher sack rate than Siemian).

Reactions: EvanstonCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT