ADVERTISEMENT

5 star QB crap

RhabdoWildcat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
For a fan base that sees how winning is done with more than recruiting star rankings, the inability to see past Hunters overrated 5 star ranking is laughable.

We suck at QB. We’ve recruited terribly since Thorson at the position and now are paying the price.

God I hope Aidan doesn’t decommit or we are royally screwed.

Reactions: Aging Booster
For a fan base that sees how winning is done with more than recruiting star rankings, the inability to see past Hunters overrated 5 star ranking is laughable.

We suck at QB. We’ve recruited terribly since Thorson at the position and now are paying the price.

Did Hunter play today?

Hunter is wildly talented and our inability to use him properly is the problem. It is not the 5* next to him it's the physical tools he has. Our offense is unbearable to watch.

Hunter is wildly talented and our inability to use him properly is the problem. It is not the 5* next to him it's the physical tools he has. Our offense is unbearable to watch.
Anyone could literally watch a quarter of out 3 main QB’s and see that HJ has by far the most talent in the group. I get amazed that he gets blamed for this crap show.

Anyone could literally watch a quarter of out 3 main QB’s and see that HJ has by far the most talent in the group. I get amazed that he gets blamed for this crap show.
I don't blame HJ for our issues. There's too much going awry to pinpoint on any one person. However, from a macro perspective it's annoying when fan's clamor for the 5* because he has the tools. NU's own QB's in the past have shown that it's more than 5* arm talent that a QB it makes.

In the end, no one will give a damn about our personnel, our season record, or any of our offensive schemes 100+ years from now. If, in that post-apocalyptic world, they stumble upon the box score to this game, it will have as much relevance to their lives as how the Cats fared against the dental school program in the 1800s does to mine.

Hunter has all the tools to be an NFL QB. What he doesn’t have, apparently, is the skills to read this bland McCall offense on whether to hand off or run on 1st and 2nd down. We don’t have a true RPO option. Period.

Now I believe Hunter may be sidelined because he’s injured, but if not, Fitz has some serious explaining to do for why he didn’t get game time. Apparently it was appropriate to bring in a different QB when our offensive was struggling previously, but not Hunter tonight when we managed 3 points. But Fitz won’t answer anything cause he tenured.

I don’t want this to come across as disparaging to Aidan at all. I thought he played his heart out. But he was not very accurate. Hunter is/was.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
When you have some of the best OC's in the game talking about how their schemes are all about making it easy for the QB and simplifying it for him, and we are doing the opposite, with the exact opposite results, I don't think it's the QB talent that is the issue. Especially after over a decade of various QBs and pedestrian at best, and downright awful at worst (and as the norm) offenses.

Last edited:
Hunter has all the tools to be an NFL QB. What he doesn’t have, apparently, is the skills to read this bland McCall offense on whether to hand off or run on 1st and 2nd down. We don’t have a true RPO option. Period.

Now I believe Hunter may be sidelined because he’s injured, but if not, Fitz has some serious explaining to do for why he didn’t get game time. Apparently it was appropriate to bring in a different QB when our offensive was struggling previously, but not Hunter tonight when we managed 3 points. But Fitz won’t answer anything cause he tenured.

I don’t want this to come across as disparaging to Aidan at all. I thought he played his heart out. But he was not very accurate. Hunter is/was.
Fitz needs to say something about Hunter. I don’t care about his no talk of injury policy. This isn’t fair to Hunter. He is getting hammered for not being the answer and for all we know he couldn’t go. I find it impossible to believe that he has been beat out. Everybody saw our offense the last two games. If he is riding the bench and is capable of playing it is yet another indictment of this offensive staff and maybe they don’t want that right now. Speculation is worse than the truth and this adage that we don’t want to give the opposition a game planning advantage is nonsense in this situation. Put him on that damn injury report Fitz or answer the questions.

Reactions: eddie_gocats
I guess Fitz still can't get over HJ's MSU game. Let it go! Let him throw!!! #freehunter

Fitz needs to say something about Hunter. I don’t care about his no talk of injury policy. This isn’t fair to Hunter. He is getting hammered for not being the answer and for all we know he couldn’t go. I find it impossible to believe that he has been beat out. Everybody saw our offense the last two games. If he is riding the bench and is capable of playing it is yet another indictment of this offensive staff and maybe they don’t want that right now. Speculation is worse than the truth and this adage that we don’t want to give the opposition a game planning advantage is nonsense in this situation. Put him on that damn injury report Fitz or answer the questions.

Reactions: Figrating
I think I speak for a few people on here when I say Hunter's talent has certainly been on display in his brief time on the field. He hasn't been perfect, but he looked sharp behin a seive of a line and WR who were struggling to get separation (and off playcall)

His struggles say more about the staff than him

Fitz needs to say something about Hunter. I don’t care about his no talk of injury policy. This isn’t fair to Hunter. He is getting hammered for not being the answer and for all we know he couldn’t go.

"Hammered" = the 40 posters here who care. It's not like there is wide media interest in the 'Cats.

Seriously people?

Go back to the offseason & read my posts you hammered me for. Hunter is not the guy the stupid ratings made him out to be. I told you how he was perceived in HS, at Clemson, & even at Northwestern once he started practicing there & people on here got butthurt.
Let me once again tell you the how it is. Hunter was a front runner in HS who didn’t handle adversity well. We were all shocked he was going to Clemson because we thought Clemson would eat him alive. Then, as people rightly predicted, he wasn’t as good as advertised & got passed up by everyone & didn’t handle it well. Then he transferred to NU thinking it was automatically his job. From the beginning he wasn’t the guy you thought, & Fitz could tell in practice & that’s why he didn’t immediately name him the starter.
People need to realize a Star rating means nothing once you step on campus. Ignore his rating & just watch him play. He is an average college QB. What happened to him in HS happened to him at Clemson & is now happening to him at Northwestern.

Reactions: chrisnw
"Hammered" = the 40 posters here who care. It's not like there is wide media interest in the 'Cats.
If that is true, NU is lucky to get 2 stars. Don’t let the apathy people feel caused by refusal to address an ongoing debacle on offensive cloud your thinking. You and Wrassler weren’t the only one electing to spend your time on the couch.

Seriously people?

Go back to the offseason & read my posts you hammered me for. Hunter is not the guy the stupid ratings made him out to be. I told you how he was perceived in HS, at Clemson, & even at Northwestern once he started practicing there & people on here got butthurt.
Let me once again tell you the how it is. Hunter was a front runner in HS who didn’t handle adversity well. We were all shocked he was going to Clemson because we thought Clemson would eat him alive. Then, as people rightly predicted, he wasn’t as good as advertised & got passed up by everyone & didn’t handle it well. Then he transferred to NU thinking it was automatically his job. From the beginning he wasn’t the guy you thought, & Fitz could tell in practice & that’s why he didn’t immediately name him the starter.
People need to realize a Star rating means nothing once you step on campus. Ignore his rating & just watch him play. He is an average college QB. What happened to him in HS happened to him at Clemson & is now happening to him at Northwestern.
Boy I wish NU in charge of recruiting. You are so smart. Not fun along back to your board, Spiffy.

Seriously people?

I would take an average college QB right now.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
Seriously people?

I don't get then why when he was at the camps, all the other QBs in his class (including Tua) thought he was a stud. It's just not adding up.

This said, what's showing on the field doesn't jive with it either.

Reactions: drewjin
Seriously people?

If what you say is true it doesn’t say much for the evaluation ability of the NU staff. They had lots of tape to watch on Hunter

I don't get then why when he was at the camps, all the other QBs in his class (including Tua) thought he was a stud. It's just not adding up.

This said, what's showing on the field doesn't jive with it either.

It adds up just fine. They don't play tackle football at the camps.

He's got a 5-star arm and athleticism but apparently doesn't understand the offense thoroughly and/or execute in the moment when the game is live. NDAFarly wasn't the only one to have reservations about his star rating.

And this is a shining example of why I don't care for star ratings. They create all kinds of good or bad expectations in fans' minds that affect how they treat the players. Two-stars are deadpanned by fans at best while 5-stars come in with ridiculous fan expectations and cause shit storms when they aren't as ready as billed. It's unfair to everyone.

Last edited:
Seriously people?

Can confirm. I live in Brownsburg too. Said the same stuff in the off-season, got shredded for it. Oh well.

Reactions: Ch23701
Aiden looked decent! Refs destroyed us today
I completely agree. If the refs had called a penalty on the OSU offense on every snap, we’d have been hanging with them to the end with our 3-0 lead. Why they didn’t do so, when I could see one every single time, is just further evidence that we don’t get no respect.

Reactions: klemman
I completely agree. If the refs had called a penalty on the OSU offense on every snap, we’d have been hanging with them to the end with our 3-0 lead. Why they didn’t do so, when I could see one every single time, is just further evidence that we don’t get no respect.

Joke all you want, but that one penalty which caused the 49 point swing was an absolutely critical moment in the game.

It adds up just fine. They don't play tackle football at the camps.

He's got a 5-star arm and athleticism but apparently doesn't understand the offense thoroughly and/or execute in the moment when the game is live. NDAFarly wasn't the only one to have reservations about his star rating.

And this is a shining example of why I don't care for star ratings. They create all kinds of good or bad expectations in fans' minds that affect how they treat the players. Two-stars are deadpanned by fans at best while 5-stars come in with ridiculous fan expectations and cause shit storms when they aren't as ready as billed. It's unfair to everyone.
Um, it’s not like Smith (a high 3 star) has done anything. How many more QBs have to shit
The bed before you say it’s the coaching?

Can confirm. I live in Brownsburg too. Said the same stuff in the off-season, got shredded for it. Oh well.
Really? All those scouts who watched him play and the coaches who offered him, obviously don't know what they are doing but old negative you and a nd guy know better. Guess what , I don't believe either of you!

Um, it’s not like Smith (a high 3 star) has done anything. How many more QBs have to shit
The bed before you say it’s the coaching?

Probably a few hundred more. McCall took a low 3-star and turned him into an all-Big Ten, record setting QB.

Sometimes the problem rests with the player and their inability to grasp the game. I had trouble learning basic footwork for a year and the only one to blame for that was ME.

Star ranking have some legitimacy. They indicate an estimated potential of a player based on current measurements, but they don't guarantee the future potential.

- It's great when a 5 Star prospect lives up to expectations, but a 5 Star who becomes All-American and a high draft choice is not any better than a 3 Star prospect who does so.
- There are more 4 and 5 Stars on OSU, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc... who don't live up to expectations than those who do.
- The reason those programs seem to always have highly recruited top prospects on the starting roster, isn't because they are better at identifying talent than other programs, it's becasue they are able to recruit more potential talent so someone likely pans out for every two or three who don't.

Really? All those scouts who watched him play and the coaches who offered him, obviously don't know what they are doing but old negative you and a nd guy know better. Guess what , I don't believe either of you!

You don’t need to believe anyone anymore. You can judge for yourself now. He taken lots of in-game starter reps as a third year CFB player. Projections and prep evals are no longer relevant. Now, what you see is what you get.

Star ranking have some legitimacy. They indicate an estimated potential of a player based on current measurements, but they don't guarantee the future potential.

- It's great when a 5 Star prospect lives up to expectations, but a 5 Star who becomes All-American and a high draft choice is not any better than a 3 Star prospect who does so.
- There are more 4 and 5 Stars on OSU, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc... who don't live up to expectations than those who do.
- The reason those programs seem to always have highly recruited top prospects on the starting roster, isn't because they are better at identifying talent than other programs, it's becasue they are able to recruit more potential talent so someone likely pans out for every two or three who don't.
You are the one one who makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT