ADVERTISEMENT

6 weeks until exhibition game

backdoorpass

Jun 13, 2008
3 weeks until the start of practice and 6 weeks until the exhibition game. I am getting excited.

I have read the back-and-forth regarding some of the question marks about our team. But, to me, the biggest questions are simply how good we are going to be and how everything comes together.

I like our overall talent/depth and am not too concerned about what others seem to feel are the biggest question marks:

Who will back up BMac at point guard?
If BMac stays healthy, we need only 5-10 minutes combined from backup point guards Ash and Brown. Both/either are decent B1G recruits and should be capable of this. This situation is certainly nothing to lose sleep over unless BMac gets hurt. (And any program is going to have major issues if their best player gets injured.)

Who will play at the 2-spot?
It will be a combination of either Lindsey (a junior shooting guard with significant experience), returning starters Law and Lumpkin, and backup guards Ash and Brown. Plenty of options here for CC to find combinations that work best.

How will we replace the production of Demps and Olah?
I feel pretty good about exchanging Demps and Olah for the return of top 75 forward Vic Law, the addition of a top 100 forward (Ivanauskas), the addition of a top 125 center (Benson) plus another well regarded guard who can put the ball in the hoop--not to mention returning everyone else with a year more experience, including top 100 forward Falzon and budding star Bryant McIntosh. Specifically at center, Pardon proved last season that he is capable of filling Olah's shoes, while providing better rebounding and a different kind of presence/identity down low that better compliments an up tempo and hard-nosed style of play. (And I haven't even mentioned my favorite player, Gavin Skelly!)

--

We have the horses to compete. It's just a matter of how good they will be and how everything comes together. Simplistic but true, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: JournCat
3 weeks until the start of practice and 6 weeks until the exhibition game. I am getting excited.

I have read the back and forth regarding some of the question marks about our team. But, to me, the biggest questions are simply how good we are going to be and how everything comes together.

I like our overall talent/depth and am not too concerned about what others seems to feel are the biggest question marks:

Who will back up BMac at point guard?
If BMac stays healthy, we need only 5-10 minutes combined from backup point guards Ash and Brown. Both/either are decent B1G recruits and should be capable of this. This situation is certainly nothing to lose sleep over unless BMac gets hurt. (And any program is going to have major issues if their best player gets injured.)

Who will play at the 2-spot?
It will be a combination of either Lindsey, a junior shooting guard with significant experience, returning starters Law and Lumpkin, and backup guards Ash and Brown. Plenty of options here for CC to find combinations that work best.

How will we replace the production of Demps and Olah?
I feel pretty good about exchanging Demps and Olah for the return of top 75 forward Vic Law, the addition of a top 100 forward (Ivanauskas), the addition of a top 125 center (Benson) plus another well regarded guard who can put the ball in the hoop--not to mention returning everyone else with a year more experience, including top 100 forward Falzon and budding star Bryant McIntosh. Specifically at center, Pardon proved last season that he is capable of filling Olah's shoes, while providing better rebounding and a different kind of presence/identity down low that better compliments an up tempo and hard-nosed style of play. (And I haven't even mentioned my favorite player, Gavin Skelly!)

--

We have the horses to compete. It's just a matter of how good they will be and how everything comes together. Simplistic but true, right?

I like your optimism. Things are definitely on the upswing in Evanston. Looking for an NIT this year, and dancing in 2018.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
I think Ash and Brown will combine for more than 5-10 a game. Here is my guess on a breakdown of minutes per game:
BMac - 30 minutes
Lindsey - 25
Ash - 10
Brown - 8
Law - 28
Lumpkin - 12
Falzon - 15
Rap - 15
Skelly - 10
Tap - 7
Pardon - 25
Benson - 15

The Rap and Falzon battle for minutes will be interesting to watch.

I think Ash and Brown will combine for more than 5-10 a game. Here is my guess on a breakdown of minutes per game:
BMac - 30 minutes
Lindsey - 25
Ash - 10
Brown - 8
Law - 28
Lumpkin - 12
Falzon - 15
Rap - 15
Skelly - 10
Tap - 7
Pardon - 25
Benson - 15

Think that Rap and Falzone will play many more minutes then your guess. Thinking that those minutes will come at the expense of Lindsy and Lumpkin.

BMac - 30 minutes
Lindsey - 25
Ash - 10
Brown - 8
Law - 28
Lumpkin - 12
Falzon - 15
Rap - 15
Skelly - 10
Tap - 7
Pardon - 25
Benson - 15

The last time there were meaningful battles for minutes at most positions?

Probably never.

What a refreshing change.

Think that Rap and Falzone will play many more minutes then your guess. Thinking that those minutes will come at the expense of Lindsy and Lumpkin.

My numbers were the average across the whole season. I fully expect CC will tighten the bench and only play seven players some games. Those seven, to me, would be BMac, Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Rap, Pardon, and Benson. It is hard for me to leave Lumpkin out of that group, but I put Rap ahead of him given some reports on his readiness to play right away and him being a (presumed) better offensive option. Benson has to be included since we need another center. Could that be Skelly? Sure, but I like the added height.

"Who plays shooting guard?" is the biggest question going into this year. If Lindsey can be steady at the 2, we will be on the bubble.

Reactions: IGNORE2
My numbers were the average across the whole season. I fully expect CC will tighten the bench and only play seven players some games. Those seven, to me, would be BMac, Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Rap, Pardon, and Benson. It is hard for me to leave Lumpkin out of that group, but I put Rap ahead of him given some reports on his readiness to play right away and him being a (presumed) better offensive option. Benson has to be included since we need another center. Could that be Skelly? Sure, but I like the added height.

Who handles the point in that rotation when Mac is on the bench. I think he will go 8 deep, if he can. My hopes are Mac, Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Pardon with Ash or Brown, RI and Benson. If Ash, then I think that is almost as good of news as Lindsey starting at the SG could be.

Who handles the point in that rotation when Mac is on the bench. I think he will go 8 deep, if he can. My hopes are Mac, Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Pardon with Ash or Brown, RI and Benson. If Ash, then I think that is almost as good of news as Lindsey starting at the SG could be.

I know that people aren't in love with Lumpkin's offensive output, but I just don't see a 3-year starter (after starting 90 of 97 games since CC arrived) suddenly dropping out of the rotation. Lumpkin is a good defender, a glue guy, a senior and someone who has shot 36% and 37% beyond the arc the past two seasons. I bet Sanjay will be in the mix at the 2-spot.

That said, It does seem that we are pretty stocked at the forward positions with Law, Falzon, Ivanauskas, Skelly, Lumpkin and Taphorn. That's crazy depth.

Last edited:

Already told you. Edward T... I mean Isaiah Brown.

I know that people aren't in love with Lumpkin's offensive output, but I just don't see a 3-year starter (after starting 90 of 97 games since CC arrived) suddenly dropping out of the rotation.

I think you're right. Collins just isn't going to leave his best defender on the bench. Sanjay has a little of the Rodman thing going on where he focuses so insanely on D it has hurt his offensive production.But his playing time is because of the D.

I think overall team D is going to be much, much better this year. Law is back. Scottie took big boy medicine. Pardon will be stronger and more refined. Falzon's D is way underrated on this board. Not saying he's a shut down defender but the kid has a tough all-around game. Not scared to mix it up at all.

Your OP was very good Back Door.

I like your optimism. Things are definitely on the upswing in Evanston. Looking for an NIT this year, and dancing in 2018.

I am optimistic, and I am also tired of waiting. I expect NCAA bubble season this season. What will (or won't) put us over the top is some combination of luck and chemistry in terms of injuries, resolve to consistently win 50/50 plays, execution in crunch time in close games and overall intangibles. I believe that we have the talent and the right leadership. Just gotta keep Pounding The Rock!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT