ADVERTISEMENT

75% Chance David Braun is not the HC when the new Ryan Field Opens

JT2311

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2019
No bowl this year and based on the schedule plus the QB situation I’m guessing next year gets even worse. New AD and hopefully a lot of the lawsuits are cleaned up and the new guy wants to get his guy in place for the opening of the shiny new building.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Defense looks fine and everyone knows the offense is where the issues are. Lujan has to make the offense workable in the next 2 seasons.

I doubt Braun is on the hot seat any time soon as long the defenses are sound and his decision making is sound.

No bowl this year and based on the schedule plus the QB situation I’m guessing next year gets even worse. New AD and hopefully a lot of the lawsuits are cleaned up and the new guy wants to get his guy in place for the opening of the shiny new building.
Lujan might end up being his O’Neil.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Defense looks fine and everyone knows the offense is where the issues are. Lujan has to make the offense workable in the next 2 seasons.

I doubt Braun is on the hot seat any time soon as long the defenses are sound and his decision making is sound.
Defense has looked fine against 2 piss poor offenses. Duke receivers had countless drops that killed drives.

Things can potentially get ugly next year and without a bowl game this year the AD is going to have to make a choice. I’m guessing that buyout isn’t anything too big. We will be going into Year 3 of the SEC/B1G revenue gap. Might be the right time to make as big of a splash as you can.

It will come down to whether he can recruit. If his classes are mediocre,then he’ll be gone soon. He’s got a few good defenders left over, but the offense is basically devoid of much talent. Not sure if he can fix that and now it sure looks like our FCS OC experiment isn’t working, so that won’t help.

When you’re an unproven coach you don’t have time to hire bad coordinators, especially on your weak side of the ball. Pick the wrong QBs and OCs and you’re gonna end up a DC very soon.

Reactions: JT2311
I am confused by the timeout decision making at the end of the game by both teams after the same play

After the failed third down why in the world did Braun want a timeout instead of making Duke burn theirs? Sure Duke could've burned the clock down then called it but no instead of that Duke calls it immediately leaving us time. But why was Braun calling for a timeout? Surely he didn't think we would move the ball 70 yards downfield in 18 seconds.

Braun’s the right guy, and NU is in Year 6 AC, and I think Year 12 since Thorson was recruited.

Lujan deserves to get his guys in here. Unlike O’Neil, Lujan has a record of not just competence, but excellence.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some single-wing, tho.

Defense has looked fine against 2 piss poor offenses. Duke receivers had countless drops that killed drives.

Things can potentially get ugly next year and without a bowl game this year the AD is going to have to make a choice. I’m guessing that buyout isn’t anything too big. We will be going into Year 3 of the SEC/B1G revenue gap. Might be the right time to make as big of a splash as you can.
Good Lord, I thought your original post was sarcasm. It took a grand total of one loss this year before the the lunacy starts. Braun literally saved NU from being a complete laughingstock. Can we at least see what he can do with a real NIL program? Next years struggles are on Schill not Braun.

No way. Braun is a great coach. Lujan has the opportunity to fox the offense. If not, find a new OC. Hiring coordinators is hard. The first DC coordinator did not work out then we hired Braun, who has been a home run. We give Lujan a chance. If he doesn't work out, then find a new OC.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Good Lord, I thought your original post was sarcasm. It took a grand total of one loss this year before the the lunacy starts. Braun literally saved NU from being a complete laughingstock. Can we at least see what he can do with a real NIL program? Next years struggles are on Schill not Braun.
Recruiting is currently ranked 60th. He didn’t save NU. They had a very veteran team that absolutely contributed to the ship steadying.

People are significantly overlooking what a new AD means if things don’t go well these next two years. Braun is far from a proven HC so we have no idea how he can actually run a B1G program. If things go south the next two years, with a presumably low buyout, don’t be surprised to see someone new in 2026.

I am not calling for Braun to be fired or even saying that he should be on the hot seat. But based on last night and the way next year projects, for me, I don’t think it is likely he’s around when the new stadium opens.

No way. Braun is a great coach. Lujan has the opportunity to fox the offense. If not, find a new OC. Hiring coordinators is hard. The first DC coordinator did not work out then we hired Braun, who has been a home run. We give Lujan a chance. If he doesn't work out, then find a new OC.
Great defensive coach. We have no idea if he’s a great B1G head coach.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I saw the look on Braun's face at the end of the game. That is a guy who is pissed off.

I trust he will make the corrections that are needed.

Reactions: MC_Cat and DaCat
Coach of the Year.

He’ll be fine.
Mel Tucker and Tom Allen both won since 2020. Also have a Brady Hoke appearance. More often than not it’s an award for who exceeded expectations the most. Braun 100% deserves it but so do the leaders of that team last year.

Bumpy road ahead, new AD, new stadium with seats to sell is not a great sign for Braun’s job security.

Get to a bowl this year or next then he’s 100% safe. I don’t think either is happening and I thing it’s going to get worse on the field before it gets better based on the QB room.

What worries me is the lack of experience at the top level of the progam.

Our Head Coach is new to this whole head coach thing and has not coached at the Big Ten level apart from the extremely unique situation of last year where - to give him credit - he prevented a total program collapse. But now it's his transfers, his freshmen, his spring practice, his summer practice, coaches he chose to hire to replace those he chose to not retain (no coach left voluntarily as far as I know). I don't know if Skip Holtz is still around to give pointers. Hopefully he will pick up the phone if called.

Lujan, while having done the job, has not done it above the FCS level. It's like making the transition from college to the NFL. Not everyone can do it. 28 years old.

Tim McGarigle, first season coordinating anything (though he seems to be doing a fine job based on games one and two).

I just wish one - any one - of the three was in his late 50s and who had been around the block for 30 years. Sometimes you need "gramps" in the coaching room to calm everything down and say "Okay, first off, this reminds me of when I was coaching at Temple back in 1987....".....Gives perspective. Maybe Holtz is still around to do that.

Last edited:
I am confused by the timeout decision making at the end of the game by both teams after the same play

After the failed third down why in the world did Braun want a timeout instead of making Duke burn theirs? Sure Duke could've burned the clock down then called it but no instead of that Duke calls it immediately leaving us time. But why was Braun calling for a timeout? Surely he didn't think we would move the ball 70 yards downfield in 18 seconds.
Glad you posted this.

When the tv camera showed Braun trying to get a timeout, it didn't make a lot of sense.
Duke trying to re-group on 4th and 2 on the NU 4. 15 seconds left, clock running...
If Duke goes for the win they can easily still get a first down.
Thankfully Duke stopped the clock and ran the FG team out there or Braun would have looked pretty bad.

What worries me is the lack of experience at the top level of the progam.

Our Head Coach is new to this whole head coach thing and has not coached at the Big Ten level apart from the extremely unique situation of last year where - to give him credit - he prevented a total program collapse. But now it's his transfers, his freshmen, his spring practice, his summer practice. I also don't know if Skip Holtz is still around to give pointers. Hopefully he will pick up the phone if called.

Lujan, while having done the job, has not done it above the FCS level. It's like making the transition from college to the NFL. Not everyone can do it.

Tim McGarigle, first season coordinating anything (though he seems to be doing a fine job based on games one and two).

I just wish one - any one - of the three was in his late 50s and who had been around the block for 30 years.
They’ve both got veteran sounding boards in Harlon Barnett and Bill O’Boyle. I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about McGarigle. He’s a man! He’s 40!

Lujan has already recruited two A-list quarterbacks. We have not done that at NU in a decade.

You’re right. I thought for a minute, I had accidentally stumbled onto the University of Tennessee message board until I realized no one had mentioned their pickup truck.

You’re right. I thought for a minute, I had accidentally stumbled onto the University of Tennessee message board until I realized no one had mentioned their pickup truck.
The pickup is the new Costco dad-mobile. We’ll get a three-row pickup in the next decade.

It will come down to whether he can recruit. If his classes are mediocre,then he’ll be gone soon. He’s got a few good defenders left over, but the offense is basically devoid of much talent. Not sure if he can fix that and now it sure looks like our FCS OC experiment isn’t working, so that won’t help.
Give him a little time. He showed to be solid FCS hire that was forced into the HC role before he had all the tools. He did well enough steadying the ship and saving last years season. He deserves accolades for that, But that was basically being given the keys to a Porsche and driving along a cliff side road and not driving it off the cliff or in tennis, holding serve. Remarkable under the circumstances, But that does not mean that he was prepared for all that being a HC at this lever requires. Now comes the hard part. Rebuilding the program.

As far as the FCS OC not working? Well again it seems premature, He doesn't exactly have a tremendous set of tools to work with yet and he is just finding out what this level is about

Last edited:
Reactions: zeek55
That's cold, JT.

Some us were hoping Coach Lujan would bring coaching skills that would make the NU a lot stronger instantly and last week it seemed like NU only needed a little time to iron things out. Yesterday showed NU still has a punchless O. Of most concern, the NU QB looked weak passing, unlike last week. Looks like it will take a while to build the NU O.

OTOH, the D AND Special Teams look real competitive.

I hope he is if it continues like this and that he’s smarter than PF and makes coaching changes of some aren’t working out.

Braun’s the right guy, and NU is in Year 6 AC, and I think Year 12 since Thorson was recruited.

Lujan deserves to get his guys in here. Unlike O’Neil, Lujan has a record of not just competence, but excellence.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some single-wing, tho.
Wishbone

Wow, already giving a pass through next year. Hey PPD, you hiring? You are the type of guy anybody would want to work for…

Oh for god's sake. F off. Second season in, 2 games in. Are you an Iowa fan?

Oh for god's sake. F off. Second season in, 2 games in. Are you an Iowa fan?
2 TDs so far in the regular season and one came on a very short field. Sorry I don’t share in the rosey outlook for the rest of the season. Outside of Eastern Illinois, who are you circling as confident wins right now?

Maybe next year we will land a portal QB and that will be the year it totally works. Maybe Lausch will turn into a star. I’m not counting on it so I feel like next years outlook is bleak.

Buddy, if you think a new AD with a brand new building to sell tickets for is going to roll with a totally unproven guy coming off 2 potentially bad seasons go right ahead. Braun was awesome for the program last year but we shouldn’t be tied to him if things go south. We know nothing about his ability to run a program.

Do I hope I’m wrong? 100%. I just think momentum is not with the program right now and next year is going to get harder.

• Sad
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Wow, already giving a pass through next year. Hey PPD, you hiring? You are the type of guy anybody would want to work for…
Anyone that thinks Braun is on the hot seat or should be replaced is a moron. Not a Coach blamer for every flaw, like you are Bob. BTW, how many people work for you? A couple of fresh faced paralegals?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT