ADVERTISEMENT

A bit OT, but compelling defensive analysis of Kentucky

macarthur31

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006

This dude goes Sam Kinison, but is very accurate in breakdown how Kentucky was so awful defensively against Oakland. I found it very compelling, and I'm grateful our guys are better defensively prepared (both coaches and players).

In fairness if you stop and go in slow mo and break down the little mistakes on screens, picks, etc, every game has a ton of “errors” to point out. When you are going at full speed it’s a different story and it’s all fractions of a second.

If anything the video might illustrate that 7 freshmen or whatever KY has might be a tad too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: macarthur31
In fairness if you stop and go in slow mo and break down the little mistakes on screens, picks, etc, every game has a ton of “errors” to point out. When you are going at full speed it’s a different story and it’s all fractions of a second.

If anything the video might illustrate that 7 freshmen or whatever KY has might be a tad too much.
That’s Kentucky’s strategy every year, and when it clicks they have and do win titles. They’re one of the nation’s best almost every year.

Not sure if there is a more unhinged fan base in any sport than Kentucky basketball. I understand that’s a massive statement, but they’re a real contender.

That’s Kentucky’s strategy every year, and when it clicks they have and do win titles. They’re one of the nation’s best almost every year.

Not sure if there is a more unhinged fan base in any sport than Kentucky basketball. I understand that’s a massive statement, but they’re a real contender.
Interesting --- it has NOT worked since the post-COVID, portal, NIL world began

And by Not worked, I mean this

NCAA wins, the last 5 years:
Northwestern Wildcats 2
Kentucky Wildcats 1

The game has gotten A LOT older in that time, at least among the better players. I'm not sure Kentucky will win with the 1-and-dones. ... Or maybe in a few years things go back to the way they were. Although with the portal, that may never happen.

Interesting --- it has NOT worked since the post-COVID, portal, NIL world began

And by Not worked, I mean this

NCAA wins, the last 5 years:
Northwestern Wildcats 2
Kentucky Wildcats 1

The game has gotten A LOT older in that time, at least among the better players. I'm not sure Kentucky will win with the 1-and-dones. ... Or maybe in a few years things go back to the way they were. Although with the portal, that may never happen.
FWIW I think there is definitely a compelling case that the one and done domination era is waning. With the dissolving of G League Ignite and NIL deals there is certainly still a place for the one and done freshmen, but the ability to mix those guys in with veteran transfers who play and execute at a high level is too critical to ignore. So that’s fair.

Reactions: macarthur31

That was Jay Wright's point in the UK loss postmortem.

"The guys on Kentucky will be far better pros than any of these guys on Oakland or any of these guys in the tournament. But they’re not as good college basketball players. At this point in their career, they’re not as disciplined yet as the guys from Oakland..."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT