ADVERTISEMENT

A thank you note, and an apology, to Miller Kopp

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Hi there Miller,

Thanks for coming back to Evanston last night. We enjoyed having you back in the building, which may have felt a little different, compared to what you generally experienced before you quit the team and transferred to a former blue blood program in our conference.

I’d like to apologize on behalf of my fellow pearl-clutchers in our fan base who think the students were out of line with some of the profanity they hurled at you from the packed student sections. I agree it was too much, as I’ve said elsewhere. I certainly preferred when they chanted for your new coach to put you back on the floor, given your performances in both games against NU this season. A combined 2-7 from the field, for eight total points! As a starter! Wow! In fairness, there was something comfortingly familiar about witnessing another MK clangfest at Welsh Ryan Arena. Nostalgia.

The students should have been more magnanimous and thanked you, profusely and genuinely. For leaving. Without your absence, many of us are absolutely convinced this season could not be happening. NU’s identity is tough, gritty, relentless defense. Your identity is…not that, as we all know. Instead, it seems to be making cringey TikToks and arguing with randos in the comments section of unflattering Barstool posts. Which is why I suspect you’re here reading this.

So, sorry for the f-bombs, and thank you for transferring & for your performances this season against the ‘Cats. After all, one can’t spell Miller without two L’s.

Much love,
NJ

These are college kids. They trash talk. Who cares? If it were a bunch of grown men and women chanting it that's one thing, but it's to be expected from any student section on earth. I'm sure Miller will be just fine

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Hi there Miller,

Thanks for coming back to Evanston last night. We enjoyed having you back in the building, which may have felt a little different, compared to what you generally experienced before you quit the team and transferred to a former blue blood program in our conference.

I’d like to apologize on behalf of my fellow pearl-clutchers in our fan base who think the students were out of line with some of the profanity they hurled at you from the packed student sections. I agree it was too much, as I’ve said elsewhere. I certainly preferred when they chanted for your new coach to put you back on the floor, given your performances in both games against NU this season. A combined 2-7 from the field, for eight total points! As a starter! Wow! In fairness, there was something comfortingly familiar about witnessing another MK clangfest at Welsh Ryan Arena. Nostalgia.

The students should have been more magnanimous and thanked you, profusely and genuinely. For leaving. Without your absence, many of us are absolutely convinced this season could not be happening. NU’s identity is tough, gritty, relentless defense. Your identity is…not that, as we all know. Instead, it seems to be making cringey TikToks and arguing with randos in the comments section of unflattering Barstool posts. Which is why I suspect you’re here reading this.

So, sorry for the f-bombs, and thank you for transferring & for your performances this season against the ‘Cats. After all, one can’t spell Miller without two L’s.

Much love,
NJ
Well done sir.

He's slow
He's beer
His shot is nowhere near
Miller Kopp
Miller Kopp

TikTok
Lazy eye
Go eat a rhubarb pie
Miller Kopp
Miller Kopp

Houston
Evanston
Bloomington
You're a poor man's hooligan
Miller Kopp
Miller Kopp

Hi there Miller,

Much love,
NJ
Best part of waking up…is a NJcatsfan post!

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Hi there Miller,

Much love,
NJ
These are college kids. They trash talk. Who cares? If it were a bunch of grown men and women chanting it that's one thing, but it's to be expected from any student section on earth. I'm sure Miller will be just fine
While I am not in favor of that particular chant (I thought we are supposed to be intelligent enough to come up with something better without giving the opportunity for them to point at us and say U bad) That said, I have heard rumors that Kopp may have said some derogatory things on his way out of NU. Anyone know what he might have said? If he did then no matter how bad the chant, no apology would be warranted

I believe Dr. Gragg's statement was reasonable. Apparently the profane chants were quite persistent and I agree that given the intelligence of NU students something less profane would have been a better choice. However in the long run no major harm was done (unless this becomes a persistent problem)

Last edited:
I believe Dr. Gragg's statement was reasonable. Apparently the profane chants were quite persistent and I agree that given the intelligence of NU students something less profane would have been a better choice. However in the long run no major harm was done (unless this becomes a persistent problem)
This is my point. There was a lot of material to work with beyond F-bombs.

Reactions: drewjin
While I am not in favor of that particular chant (I thought we are supposed to be intelligent enough to come up with something better without giving the opportunity for them to point at us and say U bad) That said, I have heard rumors that Kopp may have said some derogatory things on his way out of NU. Anyone know what he might have said? If he did then no matter how bad the chant, no apology would be warranted
If I recall correctly it was something about finally joining a program more suited to his talents and worthy or him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT