ADVERTISEMENT

A word of caution about next season

You all know I am as pessimistic as they get on here. Yet, for some strange reason, I do think we will avoid the next year hangover this time. I'm not saying we'll win the BIG or even finish second. There are a lot of factors at play that go into that such as how other teams develop and how often that ball bounces your way from night to night. But... I do think this team will be better.

I think back to that Auburn game last November. Watching that game, I thought Northwestern looked like one of the worst college basketball teams I'd seen in a long time. They couldn't shoot. They could barely execute their offense. It was so ugly. As the game went on, I realized we were still hanging in there and one could begin to really see how good our defense was looking. However, it left me saying to myself, if we could just resemble a high school level offense, we might win this game. Alas, we did not.

By the end of the year, the offense was starting to look a lot better. Certain plays were run crisply. Boo was figuring out what he could and couldn't do. We still struggled to be consistent though, which held us back from being a really good team.

My hope (dare I say, expectation) is that with all the experience coming back, and a couple transfers that seem to be able to shoot the ball, our offense might look a lot sharper. If we can keep that tough-minded, hard-working attitude that was so much fun to watch last year, then I do think this team will be better - maybe even a lot better.

Wow, I watched the Auburn game and thought we might be one of the best NU teams in a while. Taking #13 Auburn down to the last possession. What a different lens through which we view.

Hewhoscannotbenamed? I agree about Voldemort, I mean Lowery. Worked some dark magic on the squad.

But consider this...

2021-22 Nance / Beran / Berry (or Roper) / Audige / Buie
2022-23 Nicholson / Beran / Berry / Audige / Buie

defense improved a lot.... If you have to credit one player... it has to be Big Matt relative to Pete Nance.

It was Lowery. Everybody on our team played much better D. Berry and Beran especially. Boo too. Audige went from solid to elite. Nicholson was always a big who had presence in the blocks, but he improved too, though credit there maybe goes more to Brian James.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Wow, I watched the Auburn game and thought we might be one of the best NU teams in a while. Taking #13 Auburn down to the last possession. What a different lens through which we view.
I was focusing on the offensive end and maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was that my thinking evolved as the game went on to where I first thought it was just a very ugly basketball team between two teams playing terribly to recognizing that our defense was actually something special. But our offense still sucked. My poorly made point is that the potential for offensive improvement this year is what I base my optimism on.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I was focusing on the offensive end and maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was that my thinking evolved as the game went on to where I first thought it was just a very ugly basketball team between two teams playing terribly to recognizing that our defense was actually something special. But our offense still sucked. My poorly made point is that the potential for offensive improvement this year is what I base my optimism on.
We only used 7 players in that Auburn game, our 6th of the season.
Roper was out with an injury or was sick or something.
Nicholson came off the bench for Verhoeven. Barnhizer played 28 minutes off the bench.
TVH played 21 minutes in that game. Beran played 37 minutes.
The score during the TVH 21 minutes was Auburn 15 Northwestern 11.
Thats essentially the rock fight.

We only used 7 players in that Auburn game, our 6th of the season.
Roper was out with an injury or was sick or something.
Nicholson came off the bench for Verhoeven. Barnhizer played 28 minutes off the bench.
TVH played 21 minutes in that game. Beran played 37 minutes.
The score during the TVH 21 minutes was Auburn 15 Northwestern 11.
Thats essentially the rock fight.
More like a brick fight!

Agree that Berry is a plus defender, but he's going to have to improve a lot on the defensive end to be the disruptor that CA was. I don't see a path where NU isn't significantly less effective on defense if Audige doesn't come back. Audige, Nicholson, and Beran were the keys to NU's defense. Some combination of Berry/Langborg and Mart should be more effective offensively over Audige/Berry and Beran, but that's a significantly lesser defensive presence.

JMHO, but the route to victories for the Cats next year is likely to be significantly different if Audige doesn't come back. If he does come back, I love a Boo/Berry/Audige/BB/MN lineup with Langborg, Mart, and Hunger the main minutes coming off the bench. That's a strong defensive team with a lot of offensive potential.

You’re forgetting Preston, I fully expect him to assume the TVH role behind Big Matt. Mullins could work his way into the lineup as well (moreso if Chase does not return). I can envision all three transfers in front of Mart and Hunger in an 8 man rotation…CCC has a lot of options and can easily play 10 per game if he so chooses.

You’re forgetting Preston, I fully expect him to assume the TVH role behind Big Matt. Mullins could work his way into the lineup as well (moreso if Chase does not return). I can envision all three transfers in front of Mart and Hunger in an 8 man rotation…CCC has a lot of options and can easily play 10 per game if he so chooses.
Its quite possible that when Preston comes in for Nicholson, Hunger will play the 4 to add some size. (Preston's more of a mid-major center, our frontcourt may not be big enough for the Big Ten if he's out there with Martinelli or Barnhizer at the 4).

It would be really nice if Hunger can stay healthy and plays well. I think he will contribute.

Where was the temp gym? They couldn't at least use SPAC?
Its actually the reverse situation. During the renovation of WR, the team practiced on campus at Bloomquist.

Now, they practice either in WR or in the adjacent basketball / volleyball facility.

I don't think the practice location was the problem, it always seemed like a chemistry issue with the team and the impact of losing Lumpkin. Also, as miserable as I was as a fan watching games at Allstate, I have to imagine making the trek for games was horrible for the team.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
Its actually the reverse situation. During the renovation of WR, the team practiced on campus at Bloomquist.

Now, they practice either in WR or in the adjacent basketball / volleyball facility.

I don't think the practice location was the problem, it always seemed like a chemistry issue with the team and the impact of losing Lumpkin. Also, as miserable as I was as a fan watching games at Allstate, I have to imagine making the trek for games was horrible for the team.
As I recall that team wasn’t in too bad a spot at one stage of the season and then the wheels kind of came off and they lost the last 7 games maybe?

As I recall that team wasn’t in too bad a spot at one stage of the season and then the wheels kind of came off and they lost the last 7 games maybe?
Correct. 15-10, the as you say lost 7 straight to end the season. Their last 2 wins were the best all season, @Wisconsin and over #20 Michigan.

Its quite possible that when Preston comes in for Nicholson, Hunger will play the 4 to add some size. (Preston's more of a mid-major center, our frontcourt may not be big enough for the Big Ten if he's out there with Martinelli or Barnhizer at the 4).

It would be really nice if Hunger can stay healthy and plays well. I think he will contribute.
Or Hunger comes in to the five and Preston at the four - but CCC likes positionless so never mind….

Correct. 15-10, the as you say lost 7 straight to end the season. Their last 2 wins were the best all season, @Wisconsin and over #20 Michigan.
One of those 7 was that Michigan State debacle when we lost the biggest halftime lead in conference history. I assume it’s still the record.

Looked it up. We were up 49-27 at half. Outscored 11-38 in second half. The second half was miserable to watch In person.

Last edited:
I'm optimistic with or without Chase. The core of the team is pretty tight and most of the guys are hungry for success. Nicholson will be a senior, believe it or not. Barnhizer will be a junior. Both have only one year of experience. They cannot possibly be satisfied and should (will) improve. Langborg looks like a good fit and isn't afraid of the spotlight. Mullins is 6'6", has potential, is athletic and plays defense. Martinelli was pushing Beran for minutes last year and can only improve. Hunger provides depth and potential, not to mention size. Blake Preston looks like a solid backup for Nicholson. Ty Berry could/should bounce back from a subpar season offensively.

And we have 3 freshmen coming in - it would be really unusual for Coach Collins not to get meaningful contributions from at least one of them.

So we're going to be at least "pretty good."
That’s the all optimistic view. Not that you’re wrong except for Martinelli who couldn’t guard his shadow.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
That’s the all optimistic view. Not that you’re wrong except for Martinelli who couldn’t guard his shadow.
Well your eyes may be fooling you.

Over the last 13 games of the season (2nd half of Big Ten season + tournament games) NU fared better when Martinelli was playing than when Beran was playing. The team played significantly better when Nicholson was in the game, as opposed to Verhoeven, but Martinelli split time with those two guys, whereas Beran played only 28% of his minutes with Verhoeven.

All of that suggests Martinelli
a) can play defense
b) will be better than Beran next year.

I agree it looks that way. He looks goofy as hell.

Which, often, leads to misleading conclusions about one's game. I am not convinced he's a poor defender.
He was also a freshman who really didn't start getting semi-regular minutes until late January. I'm expecting improvement on both ends of the floor. He'll probably add some muscle over the summer as well.

He was also a freshman who really didn't start getting semi-regular minutes until late January. I'm expecting improvement on both ends of the floor. He'll probably add some muscle over the summer as well.
Absolutely, me too. And if he continues to look goofy, then he'll lull his opponents into a false sense of security!

I'm optimistic with or without Chase. The core of the team is pretty tight and most of the guys are hungry for success. Nicholson will be a senior, believe it or not. Barnhizer will be a junior. Both have only one year of experience. They cannot possibly be satisfied and should (will) improve. Langborg looks like a good fit and isn't afraid of the spotlight. Mullins is 6'6", has potential, is athletic and plays defense. Martinelli was pushing Beran for minutes last year and can only improve. Hunger provides depth and potential, not to mention size. Blake Preston looks like a solid backup for Nicholson. Ty Berry could/should bounce back from a subpar season offensively.

And we have 3 freshmen coming in - it would be really unusual for Coach Collins not to get meaningful contributions from at least one of them.

But "pretty good" for NU just does not cut it in BIG. We will lose more than we think with Beran. Roper would have been a huge piece this year. And if Audige is not there... Just saying, lot of new pieces and we will have to see how they fit together

To me, Chase is the key to my optimism. I think people underestimate his role on D. Basically locked down many top scorers. Robbie was a fine defender as well. We have more depth on paper but without Robbie and potentially Chase we will need to be more efficient on offense because the D will take a step back.
And don't forget, they were not just good defenders but they had also played together for quite a while and had an understanding of each other. Takes a while to build that. Especially since the new transfers do not have the ability to work together yet.

Hewhoscannotbenamed? I agree about Voldemort, I mean Lowery. Worked some dark magic on the squad.

But consider this...

2021-22 Nance / Beran / Berry (or Roper) / Audige / Buie
2022-23 Nicholson / Beran / Berry / Audige / Buie

defense improved a lot.... If you have to credit one player... it has to be Big Matt relative to Pete Nance.
Sorry but while he added some, the real improvement was that there was a lot more focus on D by Boo, Berry, Behran, Barhizer etc. It was an overall team approach of which Nicholson was only a part of

Well your eyes may be fooling you.

Over the last 13 games of the season (2nd half of Big Ten season + tournament games) NU fared better when Martinelli was playing than when Beran was playing. The team played significantly better when Nicholson was in the game, as opposed to Verhoeven, but Martinelli split time with those two guys, whereas Beran played only 28% of his minutes with Verhoeven.

All of that suggests Martinelli
a) can play defense
b) will be better than Beran next year.
As to Martinelli, I believe what I saw. His defense is lousy. Guys blew by him on the regular. I'd expect his offense to improve, which is his strength.

Reactions: phatcat
Martinelli will learn not to bite so hard on the fakes, leave his feet too early, and his defense will continue to improve. He galumphs a bit, but he also has some quicks and reach, and he's smart. He'll get it sorted out enough that fewer and fewer opponents will be able to embarrass him on the court.

Martinelli will learn not to bite so hard on the fakes, leave his feet too early, and his defense will continue to improve. He galumphs a bit, but he also has some quicks and reach, and he's smart. He'll get it sorted out enough that fewer and fewer opponents will be able to embarrass him on the court.
He's one of these players that always seem to attract the ball. Loose balls, rebounds, etc. he has a nose for the ball. Sneaky quick lefty shot, decent 3 pointer that if improved would make him a valuable offensive option. He brings a lot to the table.

That seems like more guys on the floor during practice. Am I right?

It was Lowery. Everybody on our team played much better D. Berry and Beran especially. Boo too. Audige went from solid to elite. Nicholson was always a big who had presence in the blocks, but he improved too, though credit there maybe goes more to Brian James.
When did Lowery join the staff? Was he there the entire off season?

Found this excerpt from a MSU site. They have the same concern I have about Chase being replaced. Most pundits that I have seen NU projected to be in the bottom half of the conference. I am more optimistic than that, but I think contending for the B1G is a stretch.

fHZj8DGVcvI_7hi4eOul_oYFbnFMPcQS_yGaw2RuciMENvsfzeAnWEe7wusmtZAu5lVynG7wRUSASzKESr9T2mOhMzllmpOGzIqK47HQam5kvWp6GWKT7V2rvyNzPqoGNEIUJSkEu8dlAEgTrBB2S_s

2022-23 (22-12, 12-8, T2 in Big Ten, 7 seed RD32 exit to UCLA)

In a crowded middle tier last year Northwestern showed well, particularly on the road where they beat Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Rutgers to get out of the basement of the conference for the first time since 2016-17. With Boo Buie’s return it looked like Northwestern would be poised to run back the bulk of their roster and hold top half conference aspirations again but Chase Audige’s surprise departure to the professional ranks left a gaping hole in the roster that wildly swung expectations. Audige (14.1 PPG) was one of the best defenders in the conference and despite his suspect shot selection, eased the offensive burden from Buie, making enough big shots to offset his inefficient nights. Although NU grabbed a trio of lower major players from the portal, it feels like Buie would have to have an All American type season for the Wildcats to find themselves in the top half of the conference this upcoming season. Collins has coached Northwestern for ten years and finished higher than 10th in just two of those seasons. It feels like a return to the norm in Evanston is more likely than not in 2023-24.

Found this excerpt from a MSU site. They have the same concern I have about Chase being replaced. Most pundits that I have seen NU projected to be in the bottom half of the conference. I am more optimistic than that, but I think contending for the B1G is a stretch.

fHZj8DGVcvI_7hi4eOul_oYFbnFMPcQS_yGaw2RuciMENvsfzeAnWEe7wusmtZAu5lVynG7wRUSASzKESr9T2mOhMzllmpOGzIqK47HQam5kvWp6GWKT7V2rvyNzPqoGNEIUJSkEu8dlAEgTrBB2S_s

In a crowded middle tier last year Northwestern showed well, particularly on the road where they beat Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Rutgers to get out of the basement of the conference for the first time since 2016-17. With Boo Buie’s return it looked like Northwestern would be poised to run back the bulk of their roster and hold top half conference aspirations again but Chase Audige’s surprise departure to the professional ranks left a gaping hole in the roster that wildly swung expectations. Audige (14.1 PPG) was one of the best defenders in the conference and despite his suspect shot selection, eased the offensive burden from Buie, making enough big shots to offset his inefficient nights. Although NU grabbed a trio of lower major players from the portal, it feels like Buie would have to have an All American type season for the Wildcats to find themselves in the top half of the conference this upcoming season. Collins has coached Northwestern for ten years and finished higher than 10th in just two of those seasons. It feels like a return to the norm in Evanston is more likely than not in 2023-24.
I wonder how much of such positive opinion about Chase's value led to his decision to go pro.

The guy who wrote that isn't going to know what hit him next year.

Reactions: DaCat
Lose some on D with Chase gone, but the Cats should also be a more balanced team on O and, not so reliant on 2-3 players to score.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT