ADVERTISEMENT

Aiden Newbill flips commitment from NU to Cal

This was the best I could come up with to go with the "Go [Golden] Bears" parting shot.

1_(187).jpg

Reactions: Rebel II
I’m not a fan of UCB (Cal). For whatever reason their major sports programs have gone nowhere for a long time. It’s a good school academically but remember they were orphaned when the other top PAC12 programs fled to the BigTen and their program wasn’t considered for membership. I think our program is in a more secure position in the BigTen. It would be interesting to know more what swayed him to make the move and what he found to be more attractive about Cal over NU.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It’s a surprising move to me. Best of luck to him. I imagine the uncertain (which is, I imagine, unlikely-to-return) future of Anderson, also mentioned by Priebe, is the primary cause.

Cal football would have been better off hanging in there with OSU and Wazzu and making a scheduling deal with the Mountain West. Biweekly cross country travel — and 9 am games — is going to be a grind.

Maybe he wants to major in nuclear engineering with a minor in astrophysics. Not available at NU. Or perhaps he is a risk taker and likes living on a major geological fault. The view of SF and the bay is good. Proximity to Oakland. So many choices.

Reactions: ricko654321
Maybe he wants to major in nuclear engineering with a minor in astrophysics. Not available at NU. Or perhaps he is a risk taker and likes living on a major geological fault. The view of SF and the bay is good. Proximity to Oakland. So many choices.
UCB is excellent for engineering, so it's certainly possible that he thought it was a better academic fit for his major. Maybe he just prefers California winters.

My take on engineering is definitely tongue in cheek although one of these days there will actually be a player that completes a degree in petroleum engineering at Oklahoma.

We know this current recruiting class is going to be a bit of a hole due to all the uncertainty surrounding this program through this transition. The hope is that a few of the kids we do land pan out into decent contributors. But it will be a tough year that may hurt us going forward. Let's just hope Coach Braun can get to work to build up the future classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT