ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's Recruiting

Funny and sad at the same time. Those are the actual Instagram accounts of the Alabama recruits, simply flaunting Benjamins and expensive cars.

I think these rankings probably do not represent the recruit's football ranking for the applicable year, but actually reflect each team member's ranking on the top 100 wealthiest citizens living in the State of Alabama. In fact, I wonder if next week, they might publish on instagram information regarding each student-athlete's investment portfolio.

Sarcasm aside, many of these kids will never see any greater earning power than they have while attending Alabama. The University of Alabama receives nearly $100 million in revenue from its football program and made a $46 million profit in 2015.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe...0-million-from-football-in-2015/#145b08ee3b6c

Saban earns $8 million and the football staff and administrators earned a total of $18 million on the backs of these players. Unlike a Northwestern degree, I don't know whether more than a handful of these kids who do not play in the NFL (and even a couple who do) will go on to earn a degree from Alabama and be able to use it earn a reasonable living. So, on the one hand, I know that this kind of crap prevents Northwestern and other schools that do things the "right way" to ever truly compete for a national championship. On the other hand, I hardly blame these kids for getting some crumbs when there is no reasonable stipend to provide some modest compensation for the right of the University of Alabama to exploit their talents for its own benefit, and not necessarily theirs.

If it's so blatant, why do they get away with it???

Answer: NCAA.

Seriously, if I'm a 5 star recruit and I come from an underprivileged economic background, it would be awfully tempting to visit SEC schools just to pick up some cash, get some car keys and hook up with some hostesses. Or visit Baylor or Minnesota if you like that kind of thing. Ol' University of Northwestern doesn't offer any of that, plus you have to play school for 4 years.

For a little offseason fun, and because Alabama will once again have the #1 recruiting class, let's take a rundown:

http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Contents/Alabamas-Recruiting-Dominance-Continues-Wow-50860219

You just gota scratch your head regarding the instagram pics of these poor/economically disadvantaged background Abalama recruits with cash-filled mitts and leaning on new cars that doubtless cost multiple $10K. And this obvious flaunting of what these poor/economically disadvantaged background recruits have currently in their possession isn't the smoking gun for the toothless NCAA to initiate some investigation on where it all comes from? This is obscene and downright sad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT