ADVERTISEMENT

All-time recruits (according to 247)...

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
Was going to post this earlier (but didn't), but as some have touched on this topic, felt the time was as good as any to do so.

The top 5 recruits are now under CC's tenure, led by the latest Beran at the #1 spot.

The next 4 are BC recruits led by Cobb, w/ RI taking the 10th spot (so 6 of the top 10 are CC recruits).

If one counts Jaren Sina, then 5 of the top 10 are BC recruits (so, BC fares better than I had expected).

That being said, recruiting rankings don't always pan out as higher ranked players sometimes don't play up to the level of expectations and lower ranked players sometimes exceed (including by a large margin) what is expected of them.

Crawford is 13th.

Shurna is 16th.

BMac is 22nd. (A bit surprised BMac is this low; not sure if 247 re-evaluated after BMac re-opened his recruiting.)

Coble is 26th.

Lumpkin is 31st.

Demps is 32nd.

Pardon is 34th.

Lindsey is 35th.

Expect the top 10 to be made up of all CC recruits by the 2020 or 2021 class.

Since this is the second reference, can we just get something straight and historically accurate?

The highest-rated recruit in NU history is Evan Eschmeyer who had a few top-50 ratings.

I know some of these services like to pretend there were no rankings before the monumental and game-changing introduction of their service, but facts are weird that way.

If you factor in Sina then you should also factor in Lathon who would be fifth all-time. That gives Collins the top six recruits.

Yeah, Esch would be way, way above anyone brought in since 2000 (which is when the 247 data begins IIRC). The transfer to Kansas too.

What about Geno Carlisle? I don't remember how highly he was rated coming out of high school.

Reactions: Macadochis
I know it's probably impossible to do this (and definitely tedious), but is this list based on ratings before commitment or final ratings? The latter might be affected by reputation bumps or drops that we all believe happen when a player commits here.

There is a bit of "grade inflation" that creeps into the 247 composite rankings. It is hard to see from one year to the next, but check this out:

Tim Doyle: #157 in his class, 0.8556 rating
John Shurna: #185 in his class, 0.8778 rating
Jared Jones: #181 in his class, 0.8989 rating

There is a bit of "grade inflation" that creeps into the 247 composite rankings. It is hard to see from one year to the next, but check this out:

Tim Doyle: #157 in his class, 0.8556 rating
John Shurna: #185 in his class, 0.8778 rating
Jared Jones: #181 in his class, 0.8989 rating

Just like class rankings for high school students. There are so many more 4.0 students and look at the # of valedictorians in each high school class these days.
Dang - kids are so much smarter today than 20 years ago. LOL

Since this is the second reference, can we just get something straight and historically accurate?

The highest-rated recruit in NU history is Evan Eschmeyer who had a few top-50 ratings.

I know some of these services like to pretend there were no rankings before the monumental and game-changing introduction of their service, but facts are weird that way.
There were also HS AA that came in in the early sixties but what is the point? Was 247 even in the ratings game back then? If not, no decimal rating

Was going to post this earlier (but didn't), but as some have touched on this topic, felt the time was as good as any to do so.

The top 5 recruits are now under CC's tenure, led by the latest Beran at the #1 spot.

The next 4 are BC recruits led by Cobb, w/ RI taking the 10th spot (so 6 of the top 10 are CC recruits).

If one counts Jaren Sina, then 5 of the top 10 are BC recruits (so, BC fares better than I had expected).

That being said, recruiting rankings don't always pan out as higher ranked players sometimes don't play up to the level of expectations and lower ranked players sometimes exceed (including by a large margin) what is expected of them.

Crawford is 13th.

Shurna is 16th.

BMac is 22nd. (A bit surprised BMac is this low; not sure if 247 re-evaluated after BMac re-opened his recruiting.)

Coble is 26th.

Lumpkin is 31st.

Demps is 32nd.

Pardon is 34th.

Lindsey is 35th.

Expect the top 10 to be made up of all CC recruits by the 2020 or 2021 class.
So how does Beran reach the number one spot? Weren't Nance and Kopp ranked 66 and 67 in their class and Beran ranked 97 in this class? Or is this the super secret 247 rating?

So how does Beran reach the number one spot? Weren't Nance and Kopp ranked 66 and 67 in their class and Beran ranked 97 in this class? Or is this the super secret 247 rating?

Beran currently ranked #78 in his class. Nance was #88. Kopp #116. This is based on the composite score, which they appear to use for this all-time rankings list.

247 itself really likes Beran and considers him Top 50.

If you factor in Sina then you should also factor in Lathon who would be fifth all-time. That gives Collins the top six recruits.

Yeah, Esch would be way, way above anyone brought in since 2000 (which is when the 247 data begins IIRC). The transfer to Kansas too.

Those are different scenarios.

But for a coaching change, Sina would have donned purple.

Lathon (really wish things had worked out differently as he would have been the type of PG the program hasn't had in a looong while - a lengthy, athletic 1 who would not be a liability on D, but a strength), however, wouldn't have ever worn the NU uniform.

I guess we should be more specific by saying the top recruits post-KON.

If the recruiting services included overseas talent, wonder how high VV would have rated?

Those are different scenarios.

But for a coaching change, Sina would have donned purple.

Lathon (really wish things had worked out differently as he would have been the type of PG the program hasn't had in a looong while - a lengthy, athletic 1 who would not be a liability on D, but a strength), however, wouldn't have ever worn the NU uniform.

I guess we should be more specific by saying the top recruits post-KON.

If the recruiting services included overseas talent, wonder how high VV would have rated?

But for an incident, Lathon would have donned purple. Both signed LOI's and were accepted. Both represented recruiting achievements.

Silly to introduce one and diminish the other.

Reactions: lunker35
Walker Lambiotte.
I don't think I'd count transfers. There is something different about that. If we count transfers, wasn't MT I our highest rated recruit? I thought he was highly rated going to Duke.

I don't think I'd count transfers. There is something different about that. If we count transfers, wasn't MT I our highest rated recruit? I thought he was highly rated going to Duke.

Lambiotte was a second team Parade All American. Thompson was a fourth team Parade All American.

Both played in the McD's game, but that selection is not ranked.

Thompson played at Providence St. Mel which was a smaller school that did not play against the big boys in Chicago. Esch was a tier or three above Thompson.

Lambiotte was an excellent all around bball player who came into NC State a pretty finished product. I remember an NU game when it looked like he was bleeding to death. Anyone remember that?

Lambiotte was an excellent all around bball player who came into NC State a pretty finished product. I remember an NU game when it looked like he was bleeding to death. Anyone remember that?
Yes, that was the great Duke game my freshman year. That was the fullest and loudest I'd ever seen WR Arena in my four years at NU. I worked in the Sports Information office at NU and the walk-up demand for that game was so great that I was in the basement with the SID writing "DUKE" with magic marker on unused tickets from an earlier game so that we could sell standing room only tickets to the crowd.

The game was a lot of fun, but Duke held on to a fairly safe lead throughout. It was not a blow-out though. I learned in the post-game press conference that Lambiotte had a mole on his chest that got ripped off and was bleeding like crazy. His uniform looked as if he had been shot in the chest. I got to watch Coach K give his press conference where he commented that Lambiotte was always such a warrior that the bloody shirt seemed appropriate.

That game, plus the half court shot to beat Illinois my senior year are my two best NU basketball memories from my time.

Reactions: SmellyCat
with the stadium update and potentially a pretty good team, you may.

Reactions: DaCat
Yes, that was the great Duke game my freshman year. That was the fullest and loudest I'd ever seen WR Arena in my four years at NU. I worked in the Sports Information office at NU and the walk-up demand for that game was so great that I was in the basement with the SID writing "DUKE" with magic marker on unused tickets from an earlier game so that we could sell standing room only tickets to the crowd.

The game was a lot of fun, but Duke held on to a fairly safe lead throughout. It was not a blow-out though. I learned in the post-game press conference that Lambiotte had a mole on his chest that got ripped off and was bleeding like crazy. His uniform looked as if he had been shot in the chest. I got to watch Coach K give his press conference where he commented that Lambiotte was always such a warrior that the bloody shirt seemed appropriate.

That game, plus the half court shot to beat Illinois my senior year are my two best NU basketball memories from my time.

He bled for almost a full half.

It may have been more than a half.

He just bled and bled and bled.

I forgot it was Duke. I just remember the jersey slowly turning red.

I can almost imagine the mid-game updates you pumped out, TheC. Would have been fascinating, apocalyptic reading!

Reactions: mikewebb68

No, Lambiotte was also a McD AA and he was a lot better than MT. MT was not rated as highly by others despite being a McD AA. Lambiotte was also ACC Freshman of the Year before his injury and subsequent transfer to NU.

This all said, Turner is rated pretty highly amongst transfer to NU, but I think Taylor will end up being our best transfer ever, and that's saying quite a lot because Lambiotte was still All-B1G for us.

Reactions: wocka
But for an incident, Lathon would have donned purple. Both signed LOI's and were accepted. Both represented recruiting achievements.

Silly to introduce one and diminish the other.

Not the same.

Whatever the incident was, it happened, and b/c of that Lathon isn't ever going to don purple or suit up for any other P5 or even high mid-major program (aside from maybe transferring later).

Due to the coaching change, Sina decided to go somewhere else and still had a lot of choices and ended up at his home state school, Seton Hall.

If CC had recruited Sina and Jaren had decided to stick w/ NU, would have also given CC credit.

Otoh, let's say that CC had left for another job (say, HC for the Bulls) and his successor recruited Lathon and got him to stick w/ NU.

His successor wouldn't get any credit either since something prevented Lathon from entering NU and for that matter, most other schools which had been recruiting him.

Along the same lines, let's say we were including the recruitment of transfers

BC had a couple of well thought of players who were willing to sign up but couldn't get past admissions (such as the one who ended up at 'Cuse).

There shouldn't be any credit for that, even tho in these cases, these prospective transfers ended up playing at good/better programs.

You're perpetuating an argument over which of two players who never played at NU is the better recruit -- both signed LOI's and were accepted -- in order to credit a coach who hasn't been at NU for over five years and is known as a middling recruiter?

Is that about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: NJCat
Who was the one who ended up at Syracuse. I remember Brzoja (spelling?). He ended up at Villanova and got zero playing time and transferred elsewhere

You're perpetuating an argument over which of two players who never played at NU is the better recruit -- both signed LOI's and were accepted -- in order to credit a coach who hasn't been at NU for over five years and is known as a middling recruiter?

Is that about it?

It's on you if you don't get the clear (and pretty evident distinction).

One recruit didn't don the purple but for a coaching change and continued to be heavily recruited when his status changed.

The other not only got his offer/acceptance revoked, but all the other big programs which had offered him also passed (Iowa St., Butler, Cincy, Colorado, DePaul, Illinois, Kansas St., Louisville, 'Ol Miss, Oregon St., VA Tech, Wake Forest, Wash St., etc.).

So the only person perpetuating an erroneous argument is you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT