ADVERTISEMENT

Another grad transfer: Greg McClinton from WF

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
Greg McClinton (6-7 200) from WF is someone to keep an eye on, if NU's top remaining 2017 targets end up leaving a schoolie open. Out of HS he was ranked top 150 by some, and got some decent offers. Hasn't done a lot at WF, but perhaps was recruited over. Probably wouldn't be a major contributor, but could be insurance in case of injuries to key players (certainly better than leaving an unused schoolie for a year).

Last edited:
Greg McClinton (6-7 200) from WF is someone to keep an eye on, if NU's top remaining 2017 targets end up leaving a schoolie open. Out of HS he was ranked top 150 by some, and got some decent offers. Hasn't done a lot at WF, but perhaps was recruited over. Probably wouldn't be a major contributor, but could be insurance in case of injuries to key players (certainly better than leaving an unused schoolie for a year).

Thanks for this. I appreciate your interest in Grad transfers as a general concept. Usually a long shot but so is every HS kid NU talks to.

The thing that interests me is adding an instant mature body with perspectives from a different program with different training regiments. Coaches have to decide if a kid is a good fit and the kid has to decide if he will get any Playing time but if the stars align it could add some instant pop.

Not too many of the transfers I can think of have made a big impact in FB or BB but Zak Kustok gave me some joy. Vader what's his name, gave Olah some practice competition and could've helped if he hadn't gotten injured

cant believe I'm saying this, but I think we've progressed past the point of needing guys who can't crack the rotation at Wake Forrest. I would rather see the young guys we have get more playing time.

I would rather see the young guys we have get more playing time.
So, you're saying CC should just leave the scholarship unused for next recruiting season? That'd make little sense b/c if he takes a grad transfer for a year he'd still have the scholarship available for the 2018 class. The grad transfer is just a way to prevent that a scholarship goes unused for a year if he can't get 2 of his remaining 2017 targets to commit.

Not too many of the transfers I can think of have made a big impact in FB or BB but Zak Kustok gave me some joy. Vader what's his name, gave Olah some practice competition and could've helped if he hadn't gotten injured
Relevant to this discussion, Swop, the grad transfer in BC's final season, may have earned a spot in the grad transfer's HOF. Certainly would have were not for his untimely season-ending injury half way into the B1G season.

Reactions: Dugan15
So, you're saying CC should just leave the scholarship unused for next recruiting season? That'd make little sense b/c if he takes a grad transfer for a year he'd still have the scholarship available for the 2018 class. The grad transfer is just a way to prevent that a scholarship goes unused for a year if he can't get 2 of his remaining 2017 targets to commit.

Maybe he's saying that he wants us to play the forwards that we've got, but if we find a useful center or backup PG/combo guard on the grad transfer market, that might make sense.

Maybe he's saying that he wants us to play the forwards that we've got, but if we find a useful center or backup PG/combo guard on the grad transfer market, that might make sense.
He is NOT saying that. Here's what he said:
"we've progressed past the point of needing guys who can't crack the rotation at Wake Forrest.". As you can see, his statement applies to any position.
With respect to your point, first do some research on who is actually available. You will notice that grad transfers from power conferences are few and far between. And of course the stronger candidates are likely to have plenty of suitors. Some may also not be admissible to NU for academic reasons. Hence, the coaching staff may just have to settle for the stronger that is actually available to them, even if his position is non-ideal. Furthermore, considering injuries, the deeper positions now may suddenly become thin later. So, who can really predict the team's needs, say, half way into next B1G season??

Last edited:
BTW, It seems McClinton is a pretty good EXTRA-long distance shooter. Check this out:

Here is a recruiting video. It seems at some point he was thought of as a "swingman" (SG/SF combo). Perhaps he'd be an ideal emergency "utility" player, to help out wherever needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT