ADVERTISEMENT

Another Unfortunate Result of NIL

So it went from, “his parents need the money!” to “it doesn’t matter what his parents want.”

Nice.
No, I said that maybe he or his parents (or family) need the money. And also that if he’s 18 he’s legally an adult - so he can vote, get drafted into the military, and to to college. There’s no need to misrepresent what I posted in plain english.

Football players receiving things of value from local businesses is not new. Some of the best examples date back about 10 years ago to Ohio State where players were getting cars and free tattoos. Only back then the players didn't have to say anything publicly to get these freebies. It was all under the table, because it was illegal.

So now it's been changed and all the players have to do is say publicly that they like the company that is going to give them them gift. That's it. Now the exact same thing that used to be illegal is perfectly legal provided the player declares his approval of the company giving him the gift.

And that begs the next question. Suppose a company wants to give a player money or a gift, but the player never makes a public statement endorsing that company. Can the company do that if they want? Or is it totally predicated on the player saying something nice first?

And that raises the next question. How often can the company give a gift to the player and how often does he have to repeat his praise for them? If he says something nice one time, can the company keep giving him things year after year?

Reactions: StreamCat
Football players receiving things of value from local businesses is not new. Some of the best examples date back about 10 years ago to Ohio State where players were getting cars and free tattoos. Only back then the players didn't have to say anything publicly to get these freebies. It was all under the table, because it was illegal.

So now it's been changed and all the players have to do is say publicly that they like the company that is going to give them them gift. That's it. Now the exact same thing that used to be illegal is perfectly legal provided the player declares his approval of the company giving him the gift.

And that begs the next question. Suppose a company wants to give a player money or a gift, but the player never makes a public statement endorsing that company. Can the company do that if they want? Or is it totally predicated on the player saying something nice first?

And that raises the next question. How often can the company give a gift to the player and how often does he have to repeat his praise for them? If he says something nice one time, can the company keep giving him things year after year?
Are you new to endorsements?

But this is not a issue about endorsements.

It's an issue about what is appropriate for a college athlete to receive in addition to what the school provides for them.
What you think is “appropriate” is irrelevant. It’s quite clear that the market has spoken.

Reactions: CatManTrue
What you think is “appropriate” is irrelevant. It’s quite clear that the market has spoken.
What I think is appropriate is quite relevant to any discussion of the merits and values pertaining to this recent development in college athletics.

The fact that some of you choose to ignore the societal implications of it in favor of money is unfortunate and disturbing.

What I think is appropriate is quite relevant to any discussion of the merits and values pertaining to this recent development in college athletics.

The fact that some of you choose to ignore the societal implications of it in favor of money is unfortunate and disturbing.
It’s really not, because your idea of what is appropriate is a myopic and dated. The gulf between what you are proclaiming will happen vs. what the actual “societal implications” will be is a chasm you fill with wet dreams about your own moral superiority. Your arrogance in thinking you’re some sort of keeper of societal propriety is astounding and people like you keep being proven wrong over and over again.

And that’s before one even begins to break down the absolutely embarrassing argument you’re trying to make here.

It’s really not, because your idea of what is appropriate is a myopic and dated. The gulf between what you are proclaiming will happen vs. what the actual “societal implications” will be is a chasm you fill with wet dreams about your own moral superiority. Your arrogance in thinking you’re some sort of keeper of societal propriety is astounding and people like you keep being proven wrong over and over again.

And that’s before one even begins to break down the absolutely embarrassing argument you’re trying to make here.
From your forum name of thewildcat2011 I'm going to guess that you graduated about 10 years ago, which would mean you’re in your early 30s. And if that is true I’m not surprised about your position on this issue that regards money as the most important thing in life.

Perhaps when you are older like some of us you will begin to realize that there are much more important things in life that are abstract and much harder to explain. Things that have to do with values and principles which override the issue of money.

From your forum name of thewildcat2011 I'm going to guess that you graduated about 10 years ago, which would mean you’re in your early 30s. And if that is true I’m not surprised about your position on this issue that regards money as the most important thing in life.

Perhaps when you are older like some of us you will begin to realize that there are much more important things in life that are abstract and much harder to explain. Things that have to do with values and principles which override the issue of money.
I couldn’t agree more that matters of values and principles trump money. It’s disappointing, though, that someone could go through so much of life like you have and not realize that imposing your own version of morality on others is what has led to so much of the strife and pain in this country and world.

I couldn’t agree more that matters of values and principles trump money. It’s disappointing, though, that someone could go through so much of life like you have and not realize that imposing your own version of morality on others is what has led to so much of the strife and pain in this country and world.
I know you are but what am I.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat

This is a ridiculous post. Are you not for a free market? College athletes are no longer cheap labor, and thus can finally get something close to their market value before they’re allowed to get paid for their trade. We should all be happy that our free entertainers actually have a shot to provide for themselves and their families.

Do you think Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James should have been forced to play for peanuts for a year before they went to the NBA? Come to think of it… Why not force them to play for a pittance for three years, while other 18 year olds can create tech companies and become billionaires?

Last edited:
Do you think Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James should have been forced to play for peanuts for a year before they went to the NBA? Come to think of it… Why not force them to play for a pittance for three years, while other 18 year olds can create tech companies and become billionaires?
FINALLY somebody brought this up. I was waiting for this. Your beef is with the pro leagues, not the NCAA. Why are they allowed to exclude qualified players on the basis of age?

As for free markets, having some booster pretend to pay a player for "services" in support of his favorite team is not a free market.

Lastly, my degree was neither cheap nor free. You keep saying words and, to paraphrase that movie, I don't think you know what they mean.

This is a ridiculous post. Are you not for a free market? College athletes are no longer cheap labor, and thus can finally get something close to their market value before they’re allowed to get paid for their trade. We should all be happy that our free entertainers actually have a shot to provide for themselves and their families.

What is ridiculous is your inability, or perhaps just refusal, to understand the difference between collegiate athletics and professional sports. They are not the same and should not be confused with each other.

However, once money unfortunately gets into the picture people are now willing and even anxious to throw away the difference. It didn't used to be that way and there is absolutely no reason for it to be that way now. Nothing has really changed except peoples' values.

Last edited:
It must suck to only be given peanuts. A free full-ride scholarship plus heavy perks would be far preferable.
Let’s use the Alabama QB who’s already accrued $1M in endorsements as an example.

Assuming he’s out of state, it looks like the full cost of tuition, room and board is about $52K a year. I don’t know what a food plan costs there but let’s say you’re paying $60K as a normal student to go there.

Let’s also assume he only stays there for three years before he can be drafted. So he’s received $180K in “academic value” in exchange for plying his trade of quarterbacking. We don’t know if he’ll return to finish his degree - or if 4 years of college at Alabama is truly “worth” $240K - but let’s consider that compensation, which I question but stay with me.

Now let’s also assume that he can make $10M in NIL funds as Alabama’s QB. I don’t know if that’s the case but he’s already banked almost $1M before stepping on campus.

So before he would have only gotten roughly 1.8% of his new potential college income prior to the NIL. Maybe he blows his knee at Alabama and rides the pine, or transfers and never make it to the NFL. But now he has access to those funds and is adequately compensated for the risks he’s taking by playing football.

But yes, I think receiving less than 2% of your potential income due to antiquated laws is “peanuts”.

FINALLY somebody brought this up. I was waiting for this. Your beef is with the pro leagues, not the NCAA. Why are they allowed to exclude qualified players on the basis of age?

As for free markets, having some booster pretend to pay a player for "services" in support of his favorite team is not a free market.

Lastly, my degree was neither cheap nor free. You keep saying words and, to paraphrase that movie, I don't think you know what they mean.
While this thread is not particularly about the NFL as I don’t really care about it - for me, there’s Northwestern football then everything else - I do personally think that football should follow the college baseball model. Meaning that if you commit to college, then you should stay in it for a minimum of three years. Or you can go pro and see what the NFL thinks you’re worth. As another example, Trevor Lawrence looked like the best QB prospect after one season - did he really benefit from staying for another two before he could be drafted #1 overall? No, but Clemson and the people making money off of college football sure benefited.

And my degree was neither cheap nor free either. But skyrocketing college tuition costs are a debate for another thread or day, and I’m trying to be a good boy and not go off on too many tangents after @GOUNUII gave me a proper spanking on the Rock for not keeping my ADD in check. 😇

(Ok one quick side note: “Princess Bride” is a classic movie. One of my favorites growing up - I bet we can find common ground on something: that they don’t seem to make movies like they used to.)

In what other aspect of life besides college sports is an adult restricted on making money of their name? Yeah there’ll be some bad with it there always is but come on. They couldn’t even make money off having a YouTube channel if they talked about life as a football player on it. NIL is gonna be a lot different than just endorsements and all these inflated numbers like we’ve been seeing out the gate. I don’t think it changes recruiting as much as you think. I also don’t think many of you realize how shady recruiting was/is at most schools.

Reactions: willycat
Yes, it is comparatively peanuts for some.
Think also of the Miami Dolphins QB. Tua something or other. He was destined to be the #1 pick in his class and had an awful knee injury playing for Alabama. He was able to recover and be drafted in the top 5 (I think), but there was a real possibility that he was done playing football and would have had very little to show for it.

And there was that horrific injury that the UCF QB endured. His career is pretty much cooked, whereas he could have gone on to make millions as a long time career backup.

Or our own Corey Wootton. He was on pace to be a first round draft pick, and a fluke ACL injury cost him that and thus millions of dollars. He would have been the best off of all three of these examples thanks to his attending NU and obtaining his degree, but NUFB is an outlier as we’re all aware. But if his knee injury had been more severe he would have had nothing else to show for all of his efforts to develop into a top NFL defensive end prospect.

“Money, money, money, money, money
Some people got to have it
Do things, Do things, do bad things with it
Dollar bills, yall
For that lean, mean, mean green
Almighty dollar
Talkin about money
Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds
Money, money, money, money, money”
-The O’Jays

“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.”
-C.S. Lewis

“Money, money, money, money, money
Some people got to have it
Do things, Do things, do bad things with it
Dollar bills, yall
For that lean, mean, mean green
Almighty dollar
Talkin about money
Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds
Money, money, money, money, money”
-The O’Jays

“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.”
-C.S. Lewis
Where’s the honor in the NCAA cashing in on all this tv money or the coaches or schools. It’s not even about the money when it comes down to it. It’s about what’s fair.

They’re restricting what players do off the field. Imagine you had an entire industry that said you’re not allowed to go do anytype of side job or you’ll be ineligible to work in the main.

I understand saying oh you can’t play get played to play for another team while on this team thing. To say you can’t do a commercial? You can’t sell t shirts with your brand on em?

Why can’t we look at the NIL as a way to teach young people using real situations and visible rewards of proper and smart business practices. A hard part mentally of school is seeing where it applies to your job directly. How it’s gonna make you money. Allowing them actual hands on practice in navigation these waters is an awesome asset. Especially if you have a good NIL program that help walk the athletes through these waters.

There’s always gonna be people who make things unethical. It was happening before the NIL. This just evens the playing field a bit for the people who were following the rules.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Where’s the honor in the NCAA cashing in on all this tv money or the coaches or schools. It’s not even about the money when it comes down to it. It’s about what’s fair.

They’re restricting what players do off the field. Imagine you had an entire industry that said you’re not allowed to go do anytype of side job or you’ll be ineligible to work in the main.

I understand saying oh you can’t play get played to play for another team while on this team thing. To say you can’t do a commercial? You can’t sell t shirts with your brand on em?

Why can’t we look at the NIL as a way to teach young people using real situations and visible rewards of proper and smart business practices. A hard part mentally of school is seeing where it applies to your job directly. How it’s gonna make you money. Allowing them actual hands on practice in navigation these waters is an awesome asset. Especially if you have a good NIL program that help walk the athletes through these waters.

There’s always gonna be people who make things unethical. It was happening before the NIL. This just evens the playing field a bit for the people who were following the rules.
Nah, people just yearn for the good ole days, where compensation is controlled and making money is cool as long as the man is the one making the money. Now get off my lawn.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Did you even read the article? His parents want him to stay.

How is this a downside? What if he or his family needs the money?

This is capitalism at work. Get paid what you can, while you can; because there’s no guarantee that money will be on the table tomorrow.

I suggest that you either get used to it, or move somewhere with a different economic system.
Why even bother with "college football" let's just go strait to the pros? Or get the NFL to fund this minor league of theirs. No more "student " athletes.

Student athlete has been a joke of a term with revenue sports for at least 3 decades.

That’s such a horrible argument. There are hundreds of thousands of student-athletes that have been wonderful representations of their schools and not broken any rules.

Isn't that what you were implying? Please explain why “student-athlete” has been a joke for 30 years…
Because how many football or basketball programs in the FBS actually take that term seriously?

Northwestern and a small handful of others. That’s it.

Reactions: kawacko
Many schools recruit athletes to be on their sports team. They don’t really care if they graduate, learn skills, and they set them up in sham classes. Can they help Ole State U win?
So you are apparently willing to accept and actually endorse an obviously corrupt system just so you can watch some games on TV to occupy your fall afternoons. Sad. Really sad.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
So you are apparently willing to accept and actually endorse an obviously corrupt system just so you can watch some games on TV to occupy your fall afternoons. Sad. Really sad.
What’s new with that? Most college football has been obviously corrupt for years. That’s why we’ve all found something special in our fandom of the Wildcats and Fitz.

Reactions: kawacko
What’s new with that? Most college football has been obviously corrupt for years. That’s why we’ve all found something special in our fandom of the Wildcats and Fitz.

That’s such a terrible excuse. Has there been corruption? Yes. Has the corruption become commonplace at every school? No. That’s just what you wish to believe because it fits your narrative.

That’s such a terrible excuse. Has there been corruption? Yes. Has the corruption become commonplace at every school? No. That’s just what you wish to believe because it fits your narrative.
The corruption is endemic because most CFB players don’t get nearly out of the game what they’ve put into it. Meanwhile head coaches and athletic directors build small fortunes off of their free labors. It’s disgusting.

The NIL movement is a great thing for players and capitalism. It’s also the best compromise between outright paying players and only “compensating” them with degrees that may not be worth the paper they’re printed on.

And I don’t just hold this stance anonymously on a message board. I met a former Bears coach at a non-football conference a few years ago and we enjoyed a heated debate. Needless to say, we don’t exchange holiday cards but I stood my ground and foresaw the current movement to let CFB players unlock their full earning potential. He didn’t.

The corruption is endemic because most CFB players don’t get nearly out of the game what they’ve put into it. Meanwhile head coaches and athletic directors build small fortunes off of their free labors. It’s disgusting.

The NIL movement is a great thing for players and capitalism. It’s also the best compromise between outright paying players and only “compensating” them with degrees that may not be worth the paper they’re printed on.

And I don’t just hold this stance anonymously on a message board. I met a former Bears coach at a non-football conference a few years ago and we enjoyed a heated debate. Needless to say, we don’t exchange holiday cards but I stood my ground and foresaw the current movement to let CFB players unlock their full earning potential. He didn’t.

Exactly. Your “corruption” is just your personal opinion narrative. Well, you got what you wanted. Enjoy the results. Lol

What are you talking about? I just told you the way it is at a LOT of schools. I literally saw it up close and personal three decades ago. “student athletes” that had little to no chance of graduating or if they did, certainly lacked the skills to use it. You think it is changed now as the money has got crazy? You apparently fail to acknowledge this and continue on your high horse of protecting what you think to be the golden goose. There is a ton of money being made on TV contracts, our own beloved Coach gets a good chunk of change that is over 100 times the average salary in the state. Is a College Football Coach more valuable to society than a Doctor, Teacher, or Policeman? You still watch games despite this inequity right? As long as those greedy kids don’t get anything extra you’re all good. Now get off my lawn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT