ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Walker is #1

I seem to recall that #1 was reserved for a Tom Hruby-type player, rather than the best player on the team. Remind me the reasoning behind it again.

I seem to recall that #1 was reserved for a Tom Hruby-type player, rather than the best player on the team. Remind me the reasoning behind it again.

From the NU Press Release, in Fitz's words:

"The No. 1 jersey, in our program, is used to recognize the young man who truly embodies the values and character of the Northwestern football family" said Fitzgerald. "It is worn by someone who consistently dedicates himself as a great teammate, an excellent student and an influential member of our community. It is more than a flashy number. Here it represents a way of life.". It is more than a flashy number. Here it represents a way of life."

I don't see any reference to "best player on the team".

From the NU Press Release, in Fitz's words:

"The No. 1 jersey, in our program, is used to recognize the young man who truly embodies the values and character of the Northwestern football family" said Fitzgerald. "It is worn by someone who consistently dedicates himself as a great teammate, an excellent student and an influential member of our community. It is more than a flashy number. Here it represents a way of life.". It is more than a flashy number. Here it represents a way of life."

I don't see any reference to "best player on the team".
I'm cool with this. He seems like a great guy in addition to being a great player. It would be easy for someone that young/that successful to be distracted by the bright lights. He must be very level headed.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

That is what I thought too. I have to admit, in a weird way, I'm disappointed.
I always thought it went to a guy whose on the field production didn't bring the recognition he deserved relative to his off field production.
If this is true of Walker he must be worthy to marry my daughter.:)

I'm cool with this. He seems like a great guy in addition to being a great player. It would be easy for someone that young/that successful to be distracted by the bright lights. He must be very level headed.

He must be. Good for him.

That is what I thought too. I have to admit, in a weird way, I'm disappointed.
It is only a good thing that the players feel that the best player on the team also best "embodies the values and character", etc., etc., etc.

He appears to be setting an example for the other 90+ish to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT