ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Walker will enter the NFL Draft

Damn.
Best wishes to him, but will miss seeing him play at NU next year.

He needs to or it is not a good decision

There is no guarantee he will go higher in the draft if he plays another year, plus there's the risk of serious injury. After watching Vitale and Quiero end their career due to injuries, he might be more inclined to make that jump while he's healthy. He's got his degree, now it's time to land a job.

He's a good man, a smart man. I'll miss him, but I'll be a fan of whatever team is lucky to have him. Hopefully this will be a nice step for him to reach his ultimate goal of running his own NFL team.

Call me crazy, but I just have a feeling that, ten years from now, they will be calling US "Linebacker U"

Reactions: olshin
There is no guarantee he will go higher in the draft if he plays another year, plus there's the risk of serious injury. After watching Vitale and Quiero end their career due to injuries, he might be more inclined to make that jump while he's healthy. He's got his degree, now it's time to land a job.
If he is 1st or 2nd round, it makes total sense. Solid guaranteed money of millions. But if it is later, especially 4th or later, I would think the extra year at NU would be better choice

If he is 1st or 2nd round, it makes total sense. Solid guaranteed money of millions. But if it is later, especially 4th or later, I would think the extra year at NU would be better choice
Granted I'd have selfishly loved him to stay but weigh the pros and cons here even if it's not 1st or 2nd round money there's no guarantee he'll get it next year and there's risk of injury which already happened in the offseason. Also he already graduated. Ik he could go for a masters but he can always do that later.

An extra year for DA2 probably cost him millions.
Would he have been a top two rounds guy? If so, I would agree. But if he had only been a 4th rounder, not sure you can say that as guaranteed money would not have been much.

I added this to my story, but here's Fitz's statement on Walker's decision:

"We’re so proud of Anthony, and thrilled for the Walker family. He’s cemented a spot as one of the best players in Northwestern football history, will earn his degree this spring and has the opportunity to pursue his dream. That’s what Wildcats football is all about. I can’t wait to see him on Sundays proudly representing Northwestern and his family!”

Harris would likely be a better example. But again, if 4th round or later, he (Harris) was likely still better off staying.

He will be gone before the 4th round, probably round 2. Absolutely, the right move in a sport as brutal as football.

Godwin on the other hand has a real good shot to improve his stock into the first half of he draft if he returns. Likely in second half if he goes now.

He will be gone before the 4th round, probably round 2. Absolutely, the right move in a sport as brutal as football.

Godwin on the other hand has a real good shot to improve his stock into the first half of he draft if he returns. Likely in second half if he goes now.
Hope you are right. Second round, he should go. And that would help our reputation of putting guys in at a high level

If it's all about maximizing income, then he should stay at NU if he's not predicted to go in the first 50 picks.

However, does everything need to be about money? How about chasing dreams? Ant has wanted to play in the NFL since he was little. Why hang around NU for another year and expose oneself to injury which could snuff those dreams, like he's been seeing all around him this year at NU (Vitale, Quiero, Harris !!!...DAMN). Furthermore, there is no guarantee that he will significantly improve his draft position and guaranteed signing bonus above $500K (the rough salary he would have earned if he is drafted in 4th-6th round this year). DA2 lost substantial money when he played in 2001 as a 5th-year senior, became injured, and was not drafted. He should have entered the draft after the 2000 season when he ran for over 2000 yards and was predicted by draft gurus (clowns?) to go in the early rounds. Fortunately, he was able to have a 4-5 year career.

NFL Draft Scout has Ant as the 3rd best MLB in the draft.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Guy is getting his degree, represents us with pride and honor, and I'm sure has access to significantly more information than we do. Every day on the field is an injury risk and I'd rather take that risk when I'm getting paid for it.

This is a pretty high-class problem to have. When you have players so good that the NFL wants them sooner rather than later it means the program is doing something right.

Reactions: NUCat320 and olshin
He needs to or it is not a good decision

First day means first round. That won't happen. I think he has a shot at the end of the second day which means 3rd round. That is the best case scenario.

I wish Walker all the best. I think he would have been better off staying but I understand the decision. I think his departure is not insurmountable particularly if Godwin stays as I hope he does. Nate Fox has gotten his feet wet and has a lot of talent while early reports on Paddy Fisher are very encouraging. Those are the two guys you'll see competing for the MLB spot. Hopefully this creates some additional motivation for 2017 recruit Ellis Brooks to strongly consider us. The depth chart is wide open for an outstanding freshman MLB to come in and grab some playing time.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Guy is getting his degree, represents us with pride and honor, and I'm sure has access to significantly more information than we do. Every day on the field is an injury risk and I'd rather take that risk when I'm getting paid for it.
This

First day means first round. That won't happen. I think he has a shot at the end of the second day which means 3rd round. That is the best case scenario.

I wish Walker all the best. I think he would have been better off staying but I understand the decision. I think his departure is not insurmountable particularly if Godwin stays as I hope he does. Nate Fox has gotten his feet wet and has a lot of talent while early reports on Paddy Fisher are very encouraging. Those are the two guys you'll see competing for the MLB spot. Hopefully this creates some additional motivation for 2017 recruit Ellis Brooks to strongly consider us. The depth chart is wide open for an outstanding freshman MLB to come in and grab some playing time.

Why is the third round best case scenario. Seen some projections in the second round. Even if it is the third, if I am in his shoes, I am going to maximize my time in the league and leave.

Tough to see him go but I totally understand and support his choice - particularly since he's got the degree. I really enjoyed watching him play the last three years, he is a stud. It'll be fun to see where he ends up, and I hope he goes very high in the draft and has a great career.

Great for him - what a great career with us at NU. That pick six early in his career will always stand out. What a game he had to jump into the spotlight.

He's got his degree and a very bright future in front of him in the league and then beyond. What more could we hope for from our players?

Congrats #1!

He was the best player on the field his first game as a starter, in the Big Ten opener against Penn State in 2014.

I hope he gets chosen by a great organization. He's a turnover-creating difference-maker.

He leaves Evanston with a degree and with four years of college, like many of us here. Time to get a job.

I think he'll do great.

Why is the third round best case scenario. Seen some projections in the second round. Even if it is the third, if I am in his shoes, I am going to maximize my time in the league and leave.

Middle linebackers are being marginalized in the NFL. Most teams play nickel 60% of the time which usually means the MLB is coming out of the game and being replaced by a 3rd corner. The pass rushing OLB that project to 3-4 defenses are the guys getting all the looks. There were only 13 MLB prospects drafted in 2016 and only 2 taken in the first 3 rounds last year. Reggie Ragland from Alabama in the middle of the 2nd round and a kid from Utah State was taken late in the 3rd. Now do you see why I think 3rd round is a realistic best case scenario?

Middle linebackers are being marginalized in the NFL. Most teams play nickel 60% of the time which usually means the MLB is coming out of the game and being replaced by a 3rd corner. The pass rushing OLB that project to 3-4 defenses are the guys getting all the looks. There were only 13 MLB prospects drafted in 2016 and only 2 taken in the first 3 rounds last year. Reggie Ragland from Alabama in the middle of the 2nd round and a kid from Utah State was taken late in the 3rd. Now do you see why I think 3rd round is a realistic best case scenario?

Not really. I don't disagree with the premise that the pass rushing OLB's are the rage, but last year wasn't a particularly strong year for ILB's. This year is much better and I suspect at least two will go in round 1. If anything, I see him getting knocked back because there are so many strong ILB prospects. I bet there will be at least 4 ILB's taken in the first 3 rounds. We have to see how the combine goes, just think it is "possible" he works his way into a late round two pick.

Not really. I don't disagree with the premise that the pass rushing OLB's are the rage, but last year wasn't a particularly strong year for ILB's. This year is much better and I suspect at least two will go in round 1. If anything, I see him getting knocked back because there are so many strong ILB prospects. I bet there will be at least 4 ILB's taken in the first 3 rounds. We have to see how the combine goes, just think it is "possible" he works his way into a late round two pick.

Last year was not an anomaly in terms of how inside linebackers are viewed by the NFL. They are largely 2 down players that have been commoditized by today's pass happy NFL much like running backs have been. Go back and look at the past 10 drafts and you will see a clear pattern regarding MLBs. Regarding Walker's draft status, anything is possible and I certainly hope he goes high. That being said, he is coming off an up and down year and that won't help him. All the data points to a 3-5 round projection and I would bet that is the assessment he was given by the NFL. Nothing wrong with that. You can make some very good money and have a great NFL career being drafted in those rounds.

He's got his degree and is a legit NFL talent. Best of luck to him. The only thing that sucks is this was a "down" year for him. Really hope he's 100% going into draft testing.

Last year was not an anomaly in terms of how inside linebackers are viewed by the NFL. They are largely 2 down players that have been commoditized by today's pass happy NFL much like running backs have been. Go back and look at the past 10 drafts and you will see a clear pattern regarding MLBs. Regarding Walker's draft status, anything is possible and I certainly hope he goes high. That being said, he is coming off an up and down year and that won't help him. All the data points to a 3-5 round projection and I would bet that is the assessment he was given by the NFL. Nothing wrong with that. You can make some very good money and have a great NFL career being drafted in those rounds.

Not trying to belabor this, but the draft projections I have seen are for a round 2-4 pick. Not quarrelling with premise that inside guys are not taken as high. However, you indicated best case scenario is third round. I still see the "best" case scenario is round two and the most "likely" case scenario is round three.

Do you think Ant could shift outside if necessary? Some forecasts have him listed as ILB/OLB. I am not personally seeing that, but if a team thinks that he'll move up.

Wishing him a great NFL career. Chicago's two papers are predicting that he will go in the 3rd round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT