ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Walker will enter the NFL Draft

A few thoughts.

DA1 would have benefitted by staying another year (wasn't he round 4?). He was only a 3rd year junior.

DA2 would have benefitted by leaving after 2000 as I think he was a 4th year junior, and was coming off Heisman finalist hype. However I'm not sure if the RB draft class was more crowded in 2000.

For a more direct comparison, Napo Harris I think surprised expectations by going as high as pick #21 (if memory serves correctly). Different era than now and not sure what the LB draft class was like, but still, Ant Walk could go higher than projected to the right team. In addition Napo played a tweeter position his last year (LB/DE).

Not trying to belabor this, but the draft projections I have seen are for a round 2-4 pick. Not quarrelling with premise that inside guys are not taken as high. However, you indicated best case scenario is third round. I still see the "best" case scenario is round two and the most "likely" case scenario is round three.

Do you think Ant could shift outside if necessary? Some forecasts have him listed as ILB/OLB. I am not personally seeing that, but if a team thinks that he'll move up.

He could possibly play outside for a 4-3 team but there seem to be fewer and fewer teams playing that scheme. Regarding draft projections this early in the process, I'd take them with a grain of salt. MLBs seem to be under drafted relative to their projections. Reggie Ragland was an All American Alabama linebacker and sure fire first round pick last year and he did not go until the middle of the 2nd round. I hope Walker goes in the 2nd but I think that would be an upset.

Walker could easily play on the outside in a 4-3.

If he runs well, he's between picks 40-65. If he shows up looking slow he might slide.

Selfishly, I would like to see him return but I am with Glades about chasing dreams.

I had the opportunity to sign with the Braves and Phillies upon graduating from HS but in the middle of the Vietnam War , I decided to go to college-the scouts never talked to me again

After completing my orthopedic residency, my dad was still telling my friends at my wedding that "He could have been a ball player". I didn't realize, until then, how disappointed he was that I chose college over baseball

I wish him the best but unless some super agent gets involved, he won't be drafted in first couple of rounds.
Oh, wait!?

Walter football, which I think is a very good draft site has him going mid-second round, pick 52.

FYI they have Jordan Thomas as a first rounder next year.

FYI 2 I think Harris was the 23rd pick, but I also recall him slipping a little due to playing DE his senior year because Walker's defenses were so god-awful even with NFL caliber talent

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

Any guesses to his measurables? I hope he hooks up with whoever helped Lowry and Vitale prepare for the combine (TC Boost?). Ant had pretty good speed coming out of hs, now that he is stronger (and much heavier) wonder what he will clock in the 40?

Selfishly, I would like to see him return but I am with Glades about chasing dreams.

I had the opportunity to sign with the Braves and Phillies upon graduating from HS but in the middle of the Vietnam War , I decided to go to college-the scouts never talked to me again

After completing my orthopedic residency, my dad was still telling my friends at my wedding that "He could have been a ball player". I didn't realize, until then, how disappointed he was that I chose college over baseball
Where does the "rugby" could me in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT