ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Walkers draft stock

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
I just took a look at Chad Reuters six round mock and noticed that he had Anthony as a late 6th round pick.

Not sure who advised Anthony to come out this year, but it's looking to be a bad decision as I think he is going to land in that Round 4-6 range. ILB is not a valued position in the NFL and he declared in a draft that is loaded with top shelf ILB prospects.

He has his degree and has dreamed of being in the NFL and eventually becoming an NFL executive someday. He made the right decision for himself. Sometimes dreams are more important than money, so why postpone them and possibly screw things up with a serious injury?

Reactions: phatcat
He has his degree and has dreamed of being in the NFL and eventually becoming an NFL executive someday. He made the right decision for himself. Sometimes dreams are more important than money, so why postpone them and possibly screw things up with a serious injury?
That is the question. Isn't it?

Last edited:
I just took a look at Chad Reuters six round mock and noticed that he had Anthony as a late 6th round pick.

Not sure who advised Anthony to come out this year, but it's looking to be a bad decision as I think he is going to land in that Round 4-6 range. ILB is not a valued position in the NFL and he declared in a draft that is loaded with top shelf ILB prospects.
I don't see how another year would change that much for AW. We should thank him for his time at NU and wish him the best.

If he stays another year he foregoes a year of NFL salary, which might very well be more than the incremental bonus accrued from improving his draft stock. I think AW is pretty much a known quantity to NFL execs at this point with 3 years of tape.

Last edited:

Disagree. I actually think anyone that is projected to get drafted should declare with the exception of someone that has not seen the field enough to put all of their skills on film. That would likely mean the real potential for a 2-3 Round jump in projection the following year. Ant had plenty of film and wasn't going to vault to the 1st Round coming back. Still think he can go in the third round.

Chad Reuters has "not Myles Garrett" going number one. Chad Reuters is an idiot. (I have no idea who Chad Reuters is, but I *do* know that Myles Garrett will go number one.)

For what it's worth, I posted mock draft links this week that had him going lower second, upper third, and lower fourth. Everything is guesswork, and you've found an outlier (of the four).

My opinion is that Walker will have his degree and spent four years on campus. Like most kids in the class of 2017, it's time to get a job.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Chad Reuters has "not Myles Garrett" going number one. Chad Reuters is an idiot. (I have no idea who Chad Reuters is, but I *do* know that Myles Garrett will go number one.)

For what it's worth, I posted mock draft links this week that had him going lower second, upper third, and lower fourth. Everything is guesswork, and you've found an outlier (of the four).

My opinion is that Walker will have his degree and spent four years on campus. Like most kids in the class of 2017, it's time to get a job.
With the Browns picking, you never know. But I'd sure pick Garrett over the other guys. Edge guys like that are too valuable.

He probably considered (with agent's advice) whether he would be any higher next year. That involves projecting what the draft class is like next year as well as if scouts told him another year might impress them more. If not, it makes no difference to declare this year even if he doesn't get a big payout.

Obviously that would be a concern with regard to his competition, but how does that compare with next year? I am glad that Walker was able to finish the year with a good showing that made up for his likely injury impacted performance that had put into question the whole "Franchise" promotion. A full season of top level performance next year probably would have been preferable so I disagree with those who suggest he had nothing more to prove by sticking around to help the Cats possibly even get into the National Championship discussion. That in itself also had the potential to add points to his draft stock for being a contributor to same.

My take is the upside for staying an additional year would be at a minimum his moving up one additional round, if not two, from wherever he lands this year. The only real downside is the potential injury issue that all draftees have to take into account. IMHO it is short sighted to allow the additional year of income in the NFL to be a deciding factor. One probably has x number of NFL playing years capability regardless of when one first starts the rigors of NFL play.

In any event we all owe Anthony Walker a debt of gratitude for his contributions and there is an important distinction to be made between leaving before one completes their degree and simply opting out of a fifth year. At worst the decision to forego the extra year can be chalked up to a lost opportunity that hopefully will not be regretted once the draft positioning becomes known.

Last edited:
Obviously that would be a concern with regard to his competition, but how does that compare with next year? I am glad that Walker was able to finish the year with a good showing that made up for his likely injury impacted performance that had put into question the whole "Franchise" promotion. A full season of top level performance next year probably would have been preferable so I disagree with those who suggest he had nothing more to prove by sticking around to help the Cats possibly even get into the National Championship discussion. That in itself also had the potential to add points to his draft stock for being a contributor to same.

My take is the upside for staying an additional year would be at a minimum his moving up one additional round, if not two, from wherever he lands this year. The only real downside is the potential injury issue that all draftees have to take into account. IMHO it is short sighted to allow the additional year of income in the NFL to be a deciding factor. One probably has x number of NFL playing years capability regardless of when one first starts the rigors of NFL play.

Regardless we all owe Anthony Walker a debt of gratitude for his contributions and there is an important distinction to be made between leaving before one completes their degree and simply opting out of a fifth year. At worst the decision to forego the extra year can be chalked up to a lost opportunity that hopefully will not be regretted once the draft positioning becomes known.
Do you think that the hits he delivers in the NFL will be that much more punishing than the ones he delivers In the B1G?

Do you think that the hits he delivers in the NFL will be that much more punishing than the ones he delivers In the B1G?
Just my opinion, but . . . bigger, stronger, faster players he's colliding with + more games + more practices = greater wear and tear.

Just my opinion, but . . . bigger, stronger, faster players he's colliding with + more games + more practices = greater wear and tear.

Sure, if he starts. But what if he actually is good enough to get picked up in the late rounds or even as a free agent and takes one more year to develop in the NFL instead of the B1G? Still more big hits?
He would get that year with more coaching and pay relative to coaching that is limited by study time and NCAA rules. New coaches and new environment could also stretch him into a better player. The $100,000 (I'm guessing) he would make on the developmental squad or as a back up wouldn't be to bad.
This assumes that he is a real talent and would not fall through the cracks.

Sure, if he starts. But what if he actually is good enough to get picked up in the late rounds or even as a free agent and takes one more year to develop in the NFL instead of the B1G? Still more big hits?
He would get that year with more coaching and pay relative to coaching that is limited by study time and NCAA rules. New coaches and new environment could also stretch him into a better player. The $100,000 (I'm guessing) he would make on the developmental squad or as a back up wouldn't be to bad.

Good points, but ouch, I don't think Anthony is going to be very happy to have traded an extra year at NU that could have moved him up a few rounds for the $100,000 payable to him under that scenario.

Good points, but ouch, I don't think Anthony is going to be very happy to have traded an extra year at NU that could have moved him up a few rounds for the $100,000 payable to him under that scenario.

Walker has PLENTY of film on tape and there is no guarantee he will have a better year than he had in 2015 or the latter part of 2016. He's got his degree and wants to get on with his NFL career as a player and later as an executive. If he came back to NU, he could very well suffer a serious and even career-ending injury like THREE of our linebackers have suffered this past year. Damian Anderson lost a considerable sum playing an extra year at NU, getting injured, and then having to sign an undrafted free agent contract.

Seems to me what you guys really want is Walker playing another year at NU for your own personal entertainment.

Seems to me what you guys really want is Walker playing another year at NU for your own personal entertainment.
That would be correct. That is exactly what I want. But I will not get it. So, it goes into the long list of things I wanted and did not get.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Walker has PLENTY of film on tape and there is no guarantee he will have a better year than he had in 2015 or the latter part of 2016. He's got his degree and wants to get on with his NFL career as a player and later as an executive. If he came back to NU, he could very well suffer a serious and even career-ending injury like THREE of our linebackers have suffered this past year. Damian Anderson lost a considerable sum playing an extra year at NU, getting injured, and then having to sign an undrafted free agent contract.

Taking that argument to its logical extension, one could actually make a case that he had the potential of being drafted higher had he left a year ago.

It doesn't hurt that he's already graduated (if I were a GM, I'd love that fact in terms of character and commitment.). And it doesn't hurt that Trevor did so well with low expectations. A few more of those and NU could get a reputation for our guys being underrated and could bump them up. Performing on the field is all that matters. I think he'll do well, personally.

OTOH a season ending injury wouldn't really do much for his value. Walker made the right move for himself. Good for him. Good in the long fun for NU football.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Taking that argument to its logical extension, one could actually make a case that he had the potential of being drafted higher had he left a year ago.
I was thinking the same thing and, of course, he would have been eligible.

Most of the previews I've read refer positively to big play ability and speed to the ball as a sophomore, but recognize that he got bigger and made less of an impact as a junior. That said, he also got his degree by staying a fourth year, which most certainly mattered to the family.

OTOH a season ending injury wouldn't really do much for his value. Walker made the right move for himself. Good for him. Good in the long fun for NU football.

The problem I have with the injury argument is it applies equally to all players who excel at any point in their college football experience. Sure it is a balancing factor but why more important one year over another once you have established yourself as a contender?

Quite frankly I find it a bit hypocritical for us to laud players who stay to get their degree and then turn around and pile platitudes on those who put their own self interest above team by exiting early.

(Just to clarify, Anthony stayed and got his degree so as I said initially, there is an important distinction to be made with regard to those who stay and get their degree. In his case I only view it as a possible lost opportunity for him [for the reasons stated above], the reality of which will only be known once he learns where he lands in this year's draft.)

Last edited:
The problem I have with the injury argument is it applies equally to all players who excel at any point in their college football experience. Sure it is a balancing factor but why more important one year over another once you have established yourself as a contender?

Quite frankly I find it a bit hypocritical for us to laud players who stay to get their degree and then turn around and pile platitudes on those who put their own self interest above team by exiting early.

(Just to clarify, Anthony stayed and got his degree so as I said initially, there is an important distinction to be made with regard to those who stay and get their degree. In his case I only view it as a possible lost opportunity for him [for the reasons stated above], the reality of which will only be known once he learns where he lands in this year's draft.)

Not sure why you're making the point here, as even you acknowledge that he did get his degree.

The point is, this is Anthonly's decision. He made it. Best of luck to him. We will be fine.

In addition, even if he didn't get his degree, it's not as if you can't come back and get it later. Many players do. There is no lost opportunity by deferring the degree. There could be if you defer your shot at the League.

Reactions: ricko654321

He came to Northwestern, stayed four years, got his degree, and is leaving to get a job. He did exactly what he came here for, and rewarded us with some sacks and some pick-sixes and some inspired play from the time he stepped on the field.

Any criticism of his departure is entirely selfishness. He has nothing left to accomplish, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Say nothing of his dominance in 2015, or his resurgence in 2016 - my favorite memory is his first start in what looked to be a lost 2014 season, when he a) was the best player on the field from the first snap, and b) sent James Franklin and 100,000k Nits home dazed and confused. What a great career, and what a great Cat.

Last edited:
He came to Northwestern, stayed four years, got his degree, and is leaving to get a job. He did exactly what he came here for, and rewarded us with some sacks and some pick-sixes and some inspired play from the time he stepped on the field.

Any criticism of his departure is entirely selfishness. He has nothing left to accomplish, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Say nothing of his dominance in 2015, or his resurgence in 2016 - my favorite memory is his first start in what looked to be a lost 2014 season, when he a) was the best player on the field from the first snap, and b) sent James Franklin and 100,000k Nits home dazed and confused. What a great career, and what a great Cat.

Well said. I don't read anyone here as criticizing Anthony's departure. The topic of this thread was focused on whether he would have bettered his draft stock by adding an additional year. If he ends up in a top round the question will be moot.

Walker totally made the correct decision for himself (esp. since he's been at NU for 4 yrs and has his degree).

Another season of playing healthy may improve his draft stock a round or 2, but at the cost of making a pay-check for a year.

And in this day and age with slotted rookie contracts, players play for their 2nd (and presumably, the "big" contract).

The quicker Walker makes it to the NFL, the faster he gets to his 2nd NFL contract (assuming he sticks to a roster, sees playing time and plays well).

More so than for any other team sport, there's a limited shelf-life for football players.

If Walker had stayed at NU for another season, he would continue making $$ for the school and the employees associated with the FB program (coaches, AD); in the NFL, he would at least start making some $$ for himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Well said. I don't read anyone here as criticizing Anthony's departure. The topic of this thread was focused on whether he would have bettered his draft stock by adding an additional year. If he ends up in a top round the question will be moot.

I'm not sure you can have it both ways. This was a huge and personal life decision. If you think he should have stayed another year, you are criticizing his decision.

By choosing to go pro, he has chosen to become a public entertainment figure which by definition means that the people who love you as fans are going to discuss broad aspects of your life and especially your career. If we didn't the system wouldn't generate any money.

In the end I'd bet that every person on this board hopes he gives us tons to talk about for many years. But we are all little conflicted because we all think it would have been great fun to have him back playing with pro talent at the college level one more time.

I'm not sure you can have it both ways. This was a huge and personal life decision. If you think he should have stayed another year, you are criticizing his decision.

By choosing to go pro, he has chosen to become a public entertainment figure which by definition means that the people who love you as fans are going to discuss broad aspects of your life and especially your career. If we didn't the system wouldn't generate any money.

In the end I'd bet that every person on this board hopes he gives us tons to talk about for many years. But we are all little conflicted because we all think it would have been great fun to have him back playing with pro talent at the college level one more time.
Unless it is in the form of "Why did he give his high school as his school?" Let's hope we don't have to have a discussion like that one again.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Walker totally made the correct decision for himself (esp. since he's been at NU for 4 yrs and has his degree).

Another season of playing healthy may improve his draft stock a round or 2, but at the cost of making a pay-check for a year.

And in this day and age with slotted rookie contracts, players play for their 2nd (and presumably, the "big" contract).

The quicker Walker makes it to the NFL, the faster he gets to his 2nd NFL contract (assuming he sticks to a roster, sees playing time and plays well).

More so than for any other team sport, there's a limited shelf-life for football players.

If Walker had stayed at NU for another season, he would continue making $$ for the school and the employees associated with the FB program (coaches, AD); in the NFL, he would at least start making some $$ for himself.

While those are all valid points, if one is only discussing maximizing the net total dollars to be received from an NFL career, I still maintain that it is short sighted to leave for a $100,000 paycheck if adding an additional year has the potential to make that a million dollar paycheck for the first year. I agree there are a finite number of years for NFL play but, as pointed out above, a case can be made that those years start when one begins to experience the rigors of NFL play itself.

Edited to add: And with regard to the injury issue, the likelihood of getting injured that first year in the NFL while earning a $100,000 is likely a lot greater than getting injured during the extra year of college play to hopefully better the odds of getting a guaranteed million for the first year of NFL play.

Last edited:
Unless it is in the form of "Why did he give his high school as his school?" Let's hope we don't have to have a discussion like that one again.
Wow, Glide. You have a long memory. My lips are forever sealed on that topic....I think.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
If one is only discussing maximizing the net total dollars to be received from an NFL career, I still maintain that it is short sighted to leave for a $100,000 paycheck if adding an additional year has the potential to make that a million dollar paycheck for the first year. I agree there are a finite number of years for NFL play but, as pointed out above, a case can be made that those years start when one begins to experience the rigors of NFL play itself.

With regard to the injury issue, the likelihood of getting injured that first year in the NFL while earning a $100,000 is likely a lot greater than getting injured during the extra year of college play to hopefully better the odds of getting a guaranteed million for the first year of NFL play.

Now as to Anthony Walker let us hope that the draft guru cited by the OP is wrong and that Anthony goes in one of the top rounds.

I think he was a round 3-4 when he declared, but a pretty mediocre pro day (added a bunch of questions about speed and ability in pass coverage on backs) has bumped him down a notch. Would see him more in 4-6 range, particularly as there are a bunch of rising ILBs that may bump him down. Really hope I'm wrong.

The first three results, today, when I googled "seven round nfl mock draft 2017"

Fox. Round 3 Pick 91, to KC.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/peter-schragers-seven-round-2017-nfl-mock-draft-042517

CBS. Round 4, Pick 134, to Green Bay (Weirdly, this was linked from USA Today.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...-pick-trade-and-draft-class-for-all-32-teams/

NFL.com, Chad Reuter, who is a dork who knows nothing about football: Round 7, Pick 248, to Pittsburgh

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reuter-2017-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-7

Adding one more:
Walter Football: Round 4, pick 114, to Washington
http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_4.php

Last edited:
The first three results, today, when I googled "seven round nfl mock draft 2017"

Fox. Round 3 Pick 91, to KC.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/peter-schragers-seven-round-2017-nfl-mock-draft-042517

CBS. Round 4, Pick 134, to Green Bay (Weirdly, this was linked from USA Today.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...-pick-trade-and-draft-class-for-all-32-teams/

NFL.com, Chad Reuter, who is a dork who knows nothing about football: Round 7, Pick 248, to Pittsburgh

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reuter-2017-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-7

Adding one more:
Walter Football: Round 4, pick 114, to Washington
http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_4.php
Wow, sounds like he could go anywhere. Wouldn't mind it a bit if he landed with the Bears. :D

My favorite AW memory: "James Conner, stopped by Anthony Walker short of the goal line." Hope he lands in the right spot and has a great NFL career. He had nothing more to prove here and left on a fantastic note (AN upset bowl win that he had a lot to do with)

Reactions: NUCat320
If one is only discussing maximizing the net total dollars to be received from an NFL career, I still maintain that it is short sighted to leave for a $100,000 paycheck if adding an additional year has the potential to make that a million dollar paycheck for the first year. I agree there are a finite number of years for NFL play but, as pointed out above, a case can be made that those years start when one begins to experience the rigors of NFL play itself.

With regard to the injury issue, the likelihood of getting injured that first year in the NFL while earning a $100,000 is likely a lot greater than getting injured during the extra year of college play to hopefully better the odds of getting a guaranteed million for the first year of NFL play.

Now as to Anthony Walker let us hope that the draft guru cited by the OP is wrong and that Anthony goes in one of the top rounds.
Thought minimum was closer to $300-400K if on the 54 man roster for the whole year

Sure, if he starts. ..... The $100,000 (I'm guessing) he would make on the developmental squad or as a back up wouldn't be to bad.

Thought minimum was closer to $300-400K if on the 54 man roster for the whole year

The $100,000 figure was in reference to Deeringfish's post as quoted above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT