ADVERTISEMENT

NU vs ND: NFL draft/B-jo

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
I just read that ND only had 3 players taken in the draft. One less than NU.
How should I feel about this?

On one hand, horrible, since they went 9-4 and we...didn't - despite the fact that we apparently had more top-tier players then they did.
An opportunity wasted and a brutal indictment of our coaching this past year.

On the other, some hope, to the extent that some progress may be possible by fixing the canyon-sized coaching abyss we've had on defence for the past few years.
By that math, even if Braun is just average, we should be way, way better than we were last year on D. (That's presuming that the loss of talent we suffered from that abyss does not leave
Braun an impossible hole to dig out of - a big presumption). Also on the positive side, the draft gives me confidence that our position coaches are good. e.g. they are coaching up capable rooms/individuals, though the sum total isn't coming together.

That leads me to reflect on Bjo being undrafted. A guy who was elite under Hank, faltered under JON's harebrained scheme, but then failed to improve his prospects or even perform that well at ND.
I assume Bjo is a great kid, so I'm not celebrating that failure by the way. Bjo's incredible start as a RS Freshman seems like a testament to the value of a top-shelf DC like Hank (versus perhaps-average DC at ND?)

I really, really hope Braun is cut from Hank-like cloth. Wondering what you fine netizens make of this?

Last edited:
or maybe NU had more seniors
Highly doubtful, really this year the draft would be 3rd to 6th (COVID) year players. I don’t think that is a factor unless ND had a high rate of draftable upperclassmen decide to stay this year.

I just read that ND only had 3 players taken in the draft. One less than NU.
How should I feel about this?

On one hand, horrible, since they went 9-4 and we...didn't - despite the fact that we apparently had more top-tier players then they did.
An opportunity wasted and a brutal indictment of our coaching this past year.

On the other, some hope, to the extent that some progress may be possible by fixing the canyon-sized coaching abyss we've had on defence for the past few years.
By that math, even if Braun is just average, we should be way, way better than we were last year on D. (That's presuming that the loss of talent we suffered from that abyss does not leave
Braun an impossible hole to dig out of - a big presumption). Also on the positive side, the draft gives me confidence that our position coaches are good. e.g. they are coaching up capable rooms/individuals, though the sum total isn't coming together.

That leads me to reflect on Bjo being undrafted. A guy who was elite under Hank, faltered under JON's harebrained scheme, but then failed to improve his prospects or even perform that well at ND.
I assume Bjo is a great kid, so I'm not celebrating that failure by the way. Bjo's incredible start as a RS Freshman seems like a testament to the value of a top-shelf DC like Hank (versus perhaps-average DC at ND?)

I really, really hope Braun is cut from Hank-like cloth. Wondering what you fine netizens make of this?
He was playing in the same backfield with Greg Newsome, cam Mitchell, and jr pace. His success in 2020 was a result of playing alongside them.

Very good point. Add in the Hank scheme where BJo could basically play centerfield, play to his strengths, and pick off passes and you suddenly have an All American.
I am disappointed for Brandon. Even during his year when he was playing under o'neill's defense, He was clearly a great athlete and made some great plays. I wish he had had 4 years under Hank

I am disappointed for Brandon. Even during his year when he was playing under o'neill's defense, He was clearly a great athlete and made some great plays. I wish he had had 4 years under Hank
He was never a great athlete. The lack of relative athleticism is really the main reason he went undrafted. He was a pretty instinctive football player with good ball skills but with a fatal flaw in addition to the lack of athleticism.

Last edited:
He was never a great athlete. The lack of relative athleticism is really the main reason he went undrafted. He was a pretty instinctive football player with good ball skills but with a fatal flaw in addition to the lack of athleticism.

Those numbers are pretty grim. Still, I will never forget that one-handed pick he had in the B1G championship at the end of the first half. Good ball skills indeed.

Brief positive mention for Andrew Clair on Day 1 of Bears minicamp. I'll be rooting for him. Making the practice squad would be a great first step for him in his professional career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT