ADVERTISEMENT

Next week decides it for me...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've stated here on the board, for me, Braun needed a win today or one at Camp Randall next week, and one more between Purdue and Illinois, to be a serious contender for the head coaching job.

Today was a winnable game, and I would argue coaching was the difference. We gave up a million yards in penalties, Sullivan is still genuinely difficult to watch on the field, O-line feels like it hasn't made one positive step forward (and yes, I'm happy to point the finger at Jake and Anderson for these shortcomings as well).

I like Braun a lot, and I would actually love for him to stay on as DC if all circumstances work out, but Iowa and Wisconsin, in my opinion, were/are the only schools on the schedule that earn him a permanent seat at the head of the table, and yes I will absolutely be rooting for him next week.

Ok, when this question was asked at the beginning of the season I said if he won A Game he should be considered for the permanent position.
Yes, that was a joke. Sort of.
The fact that he has won 4 games this year, I feel greatly exceeds most (all?) expectations.
I would have no problem with him remaining in the position.
Baring a huge name acquisition of course.
Saban needs a new challenge. Right?

Reactions: DrillCat
Regardless of how many wins the Cats get in the final 3 games (at minimum, need to win 1 more and keep the other 2 competitive), need for him to articulate what his plans would be to improve the O.

Regardless of how many wins the Cats get in the final 3 games (at minimum, need to win 1 more and keep the other 2 competitive), need for him to articulate what his plans would be to improve the O.
Ok, but how well you talk means less to me than how well you perform.

Ok, when this question was asked at the beginning of the season I said if he won A Game he should be considered for the permanent position.
Yes, that was a joke. Sort of.
The fact that he has won 4 games this year, I feel greatly exceeds most (all?) expectations.
I would have no problem with him remaining in the position.
Baring a huge name acquisition of course.
Saban needs a new challenge. Right?
As long as we drop to D2 and play all the Howard’s of college football every year.

#screwparticipationtrophies

Obvious that Braun can coach D. We don't know how constrained he was in dealing with other legacy coaches, in particular Bakajanin and Anderson. The only way to truly know if Braun is
a keeper is to give him a shot with his own picked staff. FWIW I think he deserves the shot.

Pretty much everybody knows what 2 of the solutions are, however given coach Braun's INTERIM tag, he is in NO position to "artriculate HIS plans".
If he gets the job, OK, but at this time, that articulation will be only between him and Gragg.

One idea would be to pick a high value defensive oriented head coach. Let this guy evaluate Braun - being both knowledgeable of good D coaching and not attached to a D coordinator (perhaps rising from D coordinator). Let the new coach pick his staff but ask he simply give Braun a fair shake / tie to the runner status.

Braun has done a fine job. If he gets the job because he is the best candidate for the job, great, sign him immediately at the conclusion of the Illinois game. The last 3 games ( baring an absolute implosion) don’t mean that much in the decision to me. I think we know what we got at this stage with Braun. Either way, you need to kick the tires on who is available/ interested. One of the only positives to this fiasco, is we got a glimpse of Braun in action AND we have a enormous head start over other schools in at least identifying potential HC replacements. Of course, I have no faith anyone associated with NU has seized this opportunity to get ahead of this. My fear is we drag our feet making a decision which leads to a mass exodus.

One idea would be to pick a high value defensive oriented head coach. Let this guy evaluate Braun - being both knowledgeable of good D coaching and not attached to a D coordinator (perhaps rising from D coordinator). Let the new coach pick his staff but ask he simply give Braun a fair shake / tie to the runner status.
FWIW, I probably would go with Braun as HC.

But if Gragg went with a new coach, I would probably find an up and coming OC with good recruiting and sell Braun on staying giving full control over the defense without interference from the HC.

It would be a demotion and a slap in the face. He would not agree to that.

It would be a demotion and a slap in the face. He would not agree to that.
So, with his resume, what opportunities do you see him getting?

More importantly, it would restrict the pool of candidates willing to take the HC job. I rather have higher quality HC, hope he considers Braun, but let him pick the staff that he will live or die by. Forcing Braun gives an excuse down the road. Let the HC decide.

If Braun retained, I would encourage adding asst head coach or some similar nominal title.

As for the race to the portal, I hope the search factors in the Deion Sanders model and expects to see a bunch of players brought in from transfers and recruits.

I've stated here on the board, for me, Braun needed a win today or one at Camp Randall next week, and one more between Purdue and Illinois, to be a serious contender for the head coaching job.

Today was a winnable game, and I would argue coaching was the difference. We gave up a million yards in penalties, Sullivan is still genuinely difficult to watch on the field, O-line feels like it hasn't made one positive step forward (and yes, I'm happy to point the finger at Jake and Anderson for these shortcomings as well).

I like Braun a lot, and I would actually love for him to stay on as DC if all circumstances work out, but Iowa and Wisconsin, in my opinion, were/are the only schools on the schedule that earn him a permanent seat at the head of the table, and yes I will absolutely be rooting for him next week.
The single biggest play of the game was a g-d blocked punt. Worst offense in the country, Iowa’s lone touchdown came on a 25-yard drive. (NU’s was only 22 yards.)

There’s not a good reason that Tyus rather than Porter should have been on the field for the failed goal line effort.

Maybe Braun *should* have more of a role in offensive personnel and the kicking game at this point, and maybe that’s a failure. But the fact is that he inherited three total imbeciles at OC, STC, and OL, and they cost him and the team the game.

(Of course, Iowa marching 37 yards for the field goal — one fluky pass (anything that’s not a half-roll is fluky) — is a real pisser.)

I do not get the sense that Braun has big eyes and is seeking a head coaching job elsewhere. (I know nothing.) But if NU is looking at a young OC with no head coaching experience, I think Braun would be justified in going elsewhere as a DC.

This program was sooooooo bad for two seasons. This team got blown off the field by Iowa last season. This team embarrassed us at Wrigley against Purdue the previous season. Gosh I hope they win two of the next three.

Anyway, go Cats go. This is a fun team.

I fully support naming Braun the permanent coach now to allow him to recruit the rest of the season. He has been the only leader and adult in the room since Fitz was fired. And he has won 4 games already when Fritz’s last 2 seasons won a total of 4 games. Besides all of Fitz’s legacy coaches will be fired at the end of the season so Braun will get to name his own OC and OL coach. Go Cats.

Reactions: FanatiCat
The single biggest play of the game was a g-d blocked punt. Worst offense in the country, Iowa’s lone touchdown came on a 25-yard drive. (NU’s was only 22 yards.)

There’s not a good reason that Tyus rather than Porter should have been on the field for the failed goal line effort.

Maybe Braun *should* have more of a role in offensive personnel and the kicking game at this point, and maybe that’s a failure. But the fact is that he inherited three total imbeciles at OC, STC, and OL, and they cost him and the team the game.

(Of course, Iowa marching 37 yards for the field goal — one fluky pass (anything that’s not a half-roll is fluky) — is a real pisser.)

I do not get the sense that Braun has big eyes and is seeking a head coaching job elsewhere. (I know nothing.) But if NU is looking at a young OC with no head coaching experience, I think Braun would be justified in going elsewhere as a DC.

This program was sooooooo bad for two seasons. This team got blown off the field by Iowa last season. This team embarrassed us at Wrigley against Purdue the previous season. Gosh I hope they win two of the next three.

Anyway, go Cats go. This is a fun team.
The issue is this isn’t a fun team and it hasn’t been for a few years. I sure hope we go in a very different direction after this season.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The issue is this isn’t a fun team and it hasn’t been for a few years. I sure hope we go in a very different direction after this season.
It was a fun team until 2011, when Fitz decided offense was stupid. It was a winning team on the shoulders of a few brilliant players and a winning defense for a few years after that. Then the chickens came home to roost.

NDSU regularly scored 30-40 points the last few years. I think Braun comes from a background where offense matters.

It’s tough to go from ‘worst and most boring P5 program’ to ‘fun to watch’ with no offseason. I’d suggest that Braun with a new offensive and special teams staff does mark a different direction.

Anyway, Gragg will muck it up by, like, offering Braun a two-year head coaching deal and then settling for John Holocek.

Reactions: Gatabowl
I feel like Braun has more than earned the job. Does everyone remember how bad we were the past two seasons? Braun has this team, which arguably is less talented and endured a tumultuous offseason, playing so much better. The fact we are lamenting winnable games is in itself a big improvement from the norm of the non-competitive blowout losses of 2021 and 2022.
The obvious weakness of the team is offense which is not Braun’s fault. I’d like to see what he can do as a head coach with a competent offense.

Obvious that Braun can coach D. We don't know how constrained he was in dealing with other legacy coaches, in particular Bakajanin and Anderson. The only way to truly know if Braun is
a keeper is to give him a shot with his own picked staff. FWIW I think he deserves the shot.

Very constrained.

I feel like Braun has more than earned the job. Does everyone remember how bad we were the past two seasons? Braun has this team, which arguably is less talented and endured a tumultuous offseason, playing so much better. The fact we are lamenting winnable games is in itself a big improvement from the norm of the non-competitive blowout losses of 2021 and 2022.
The obvious weakness of the team is offense which is not Braun’s fault. I’d like to see what he can do as a head coach with a competent offense.
Absolutely agree. Keep the defensive line coach, wide receivers coach, and defensive backs coach, hire a new OC, and dump the rest of the assistants.

Absolutely agree. Keep the defensive line coach, wide receivers coach, and defensive backs coach, hire a new OC, and dump the rest of the assistants.

It would be quite the predicament for Braun if hired as HC. Seems likely he would want an entirely new offensive staff, but who does he go to — NDSU? He has also specifically lauded Smith as DL coach (can’t recall particular mention of other defensive assistants, but maybe it’s out there), but does he want “his guys” on defensive staff? What about off-field staff, particularly in S&C and recruiting, does he have “guys” there?

Most newly-hired head coaches have either 1) had eyes on that kind of position for a while and prepared accordingly, often literally asking position coaches if they’d come with them to a HC job if/when hired or 2) are lower-level HCs with a staff/system already in place that they can bring with them.

I doubt Braun has either of those elements in place, considering he thought this would be his first year as a DC at the FBS/P5 level. Can/could he pull it together if given the full time job? Does he want to give pink slips to guys he worked alongside this whole season?

Wouldn’t be an easy decision for him at all, but it seems the players/team support him as full time HC.

Reactions: No Chores
Having been an adopted NU fan since the 1970's maybe my criteria are different than others....#1. team plays as a team, enjoy playing and play with lots of effort and a good amount of fundamentals. #2 is competitive......Yes I love the Ws...but understand what bad can really be and appreciate good seasons even more......this team has been competitive , played hard and stuck together and represented the school and fan base in a way I feel good about....This took some culture and leadership both jobs of the head coach. Braun has met my criteria. and as MesaCat said...Braun is doing it with someone elses asst. coaches.

Personally, I am for Braun being our head coach. Let him bring in his own staff and give him three years. He is the real deal. He is earnest, hard working, and has the players believing in themselves. He cares. The defense, frankly, is much better than anyone would have anticipated. That is in no small part due to him. With a better strength and conditioning staff, new O Line coach, new OC calling plays, and a liberal use of the transfer portal to fill in gaps where needed, we will be back and in a good place.

What if you keep Braun as HC and can Bajakian. Shell out a bit more and find a rockstar OC, Braun then retains his defensive focus and delegates the offense to someone who is competent. The recruiting bit is the only question mark I have about braun, I'm good with the rest and think we should keep him on (barring a meltdown from here on out).

Last edited:
It would be quite the predicament for Braun if hired as HC. Seems likely he would want an entirely new offensive staff, but who does he go to — NDSU? He has also specifically lauded Smith as DL coach (can’t recall particular mention of other defensive assistants, but maybe it’s out there), but does he want “his guys” on defensive staff? What about off-field staff, particularly in S&C and recruiting, does he have “guys” there?

Most newly-hired head coaches have either 1) had eyes on that kind of position for a while and prepared accordingly, often literally asking position coaches if they’d come with them to a HC job if/when hired or 2) are lower-level HCs with a staff/system already in place that they can bring with them.

I doubt Braun has either of those elements in place, considering he thought this would be his first year as a DC at the FBS/P5 level. Can/could he pull it together if given the full time job? Does he want to give pink slips to guys he worked alongside this whole season?

Wouldn’t be an easy decision for him at all, but it seems the players/team support him as full time HC.
Braun would have wins against Iowa and maybe Rutgers with a different offensive staff. I trust that he’s not like Fitz, who made us suffer through a decade of Dennis Springer.

Braun came to NU with no ties to NU or Fitz. He came with a record of success and the right attitude as discerned through the interview process. While he has never hired an OC before, there will definitely be candidates if/when the job comes open.

Staying within your network is how Brian Ferentz and Jim O’Neil and Lou Ayeni get jobs. Leaving your network is how Mike Bajakian and David Braun got jobs. Point is, it’s not how you know or don’t know the person; it’s whether they are good or not.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Braun would have wins against Iowa and maybe Rutgers with a different offensive staff. I trust that he’s not like Fitz, who made us suffer through a decade of Dennis Springer.

Braun came to NU with no ties to NU or Fitz. He came with a record of success and the right attitude as discerned through the interview process. While he has never hired an OC before, there will definitely be candidates if/when the job comes open.

Staying within your network is how Brian Ferentz and Jim O’Neil and Lou Ayeni get jobs. Leaving your network is how Mike Bajakian and David Braun got jobs. Point is, it’s not how you know or don’t know the person; it’s whether they are good or not.

Yeah… it’s pretty clear that he didn’t want any additional responsibilities on his plate as both DC and interim HC, so has left the offense almost exclusively to Bajakian. Which is quite understandable, plus I doubt he was given the ability to make further staff changes besides backfilling his own spot.

I think it’s safe to say Braun would overhaul the offense/offensive staff, just don’t know how. Could DHR get us interviews with a Sean Lewis or Jamarcus Shepard? Sure. Would Braun instead prefer to go to his NDSU buddies? Also sure. Would that be good enough? No clue.

Reactions: Rebel II
Mertz is starting for fla and they are 5-4 now I think after losing to ark yesterday. Mordecai hurt his hand. Not sure who will start for wis next sat. Allen will most likely be back for wis

I think we tend to overweigh Braun’s ties to NDSU. He has coached at quite a few places, including some time out west. I can’t imagine him limiting any assistant search to his immediate network. He strikes me as a guy who would hire the most capable people he can find. If anything, Fitz is guilty of relying too much on his professional network to find assistants.

I think we tend to overweigh Braun’s ties to NDSU. He has coached at quite a few places, including some time out west. I can’t imagine him limiting any assistant search to his immediate network. He strikes me as a guy who would hire the most capable people he can find. If anything, Fitz is guilty of relying too much on his professional network to find assistants.

At issue is whether he has the cache to go “out of network.” Sure the B1G itself will hold some sway, but NU is a tough sell (especially after last year and looking at a two-year nomadic rebuild).

Okay let me use an example. If have worked in several fields but let me use radio as an example because it is the least esoteric.

My former boss (really wise old guy) once said

"Ya know Euro, in radio it works like this. You start in the mailroom and do whatever it takes. Eventually you get to do overnights. Once you get that job, you will never agree to be in the mailroom again. Then you get a daytime shift. Once you get that you never agree to do overnights again. Then you become the Program Director, the guy making the big decisions, etc. Then you never agree to be "just a DJ" again. Finally you buy the place....and you never agree to be an employee again"

Now I know you will bring up examples where a former NFL Head Coach gets fired and becomes a Defensive or Offensive coordinator again. Yes but that is not in the same place - he goes to a different team.

Right now I bet we are paying Braun nicely, but he also has his own parking spot, probably a secretary he does not have to share, probably a Country Club Membership, and most importantly he gets to be "the big guy" and make final decisions on everything from whether or not to offer a certain recruit to whether or not to go for it on a fourth down.

I just don't see him being told essentially "Thanks but no thanks, but hey, if you want, you can stick around as DC...oh and your new parking place is now down the block....". Psychologically very very few people could do that. It would be like being told by your wife that she is divorcing you, but if you want you can still live in the spare bedroom and she will pay you to mow the lawn.

The ONLY way I see it happening - one in a million chance - is if we hire an older coach whose days are clearly numbered, a 62 year old Bob Stoops or Gary Patterson or Skip Holtz and we do a deal where one of them coaches for five or six years, title of Head Coach and Program Stabilizer, and Braun stays on as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Head Coach designate (promotion to be effective in 2029). And we pay him a bundle and tell him he can still play golf at the Country Club. MAYBE - one in a million chance - he would agree to that. But I doubt it.

I say we wait out the season and see how we end up.

Oh, and the kids love Braun. Didn't several posters here on this board sat that recent players at the game yesterday confirmed this? We could lose a lot of key guys if we hire someone they don't know.

Last edited:
Okay let me use an example. If have worked in several fields but let me use radio as an example because it is the least esoteric.

My former boss (really wise old guy) once said

"Ya know Euro, in radio it works like this. You start in the mailroom and do whatever it takes. Eventually you get to do overnights. Once you get that job, you will never agree to be in the mailroom again. Then you get a daytime shift. Once you get that you never agree to do overnights again. Then you become the Program Director, the guy making the big decisions, etc. Then you never agree to be "just a DJ" again. Finally you buy the place....and you never agree to be an employee again"

Now I know you will bring up examples where a former NFL Head Coach gets fired and becomes a Defensive or Offensive coordinator again. Yes but that is not in the same place - he goes to a different team.

Right now I bet we are paying Braun nicely, but he also has his own parking spot, probably a secretary he does not have to share, probably a Country Club Membership, and most importantly he gets to be "the big guy" and make final decisions on everything from whether or not to offer a certain recruit to whether or not to go for it on a fourth down.

I just don't see him being told essentially "Thanks but no thanks, but hey, if you want, you can stick around as DC...oh and your new parking place is now down the block....". Psychologically very very few people could do that. It would be like being told by your wife that she is divorcing you, but if you want you can still live in the spare bedroom and she will pay you to mow the lawn.

The ONLY way I see it happening - one in a million chance - is if we hire an older coach whose days are clearly numbered, a 62 year old Bob Stoops or Gary Patterson or Skip Holtz and we do a deal where Stoops coaches for five or six years, title of Head Coach and Program Stabilizer, and Braun stays on as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Head Coach designate effective 2029. And we pay him a bundle and tell him he can still play golf at the Country Club. MAYBE - one in a million chance - he would agree to that. But I doubt it.

I say we wait out the season and see how we end up.

Oh, and the kids love Braun. Didn't several posters here on this board sat that recent players at the game yesterday confirmed this? We could lose a lot of key guys if we hire someone they don't know.

He’s an INTERIM head coach right now. He does not have full reins of the program.

It’s not that complicated.

It was a fun team until 2011, when Fitz decided offense was stupid. It was a winning team on the shoulders of a few brilliant players and a winning defense for a few years after that. Then the chickens came home to roost.

NDSU regularly scored 30-40 points the last few years. I think Braun comes from a background where offense matters.

It’s tough to go from ‘worst and most boring P5 program’ to ‘fun to watch’ with no offseason. I’d suggest that Braun with a new offensive and special teams staff does mark a different direction.

Anyway, Gragg will muck it up by, like, offering Braun a two-year head coaching deal and then settling for John Holocek.
Our best offensive seasons under Fitz were 2012 and 2017.

When we hired Barnett, the three finalists were obviously Barnett himself, just off a National Championship as Coordinator at Colorado, former Ohio State Head Coach Earl Bruce and former Florida Head Coach Gary Darnell. And this was when were much worse, had much worse facilities, etc.

Now I know that was about HCs and you are talking about assistants. But this is why we are very lucky to be in the Big Ten. Chris Collins has gotten good assistants, why would we not be able to find some? I bet he would keep the guys who came here with him, the DL coach, the WR coach (I am too lazy to look up their names). He might bring in one guy from NDSU but the rest of the staff, I just don't think it would be this impossible task. Last year Stanford blew its staff out.

We could talk to their former DC Lance Anderson. Right now he is in some back office position at Boise State. I bet he would love to come back to a BCS team in an on field job.
Quote - Edited for Brevity -
In 2007, Jim Harbaugh was hired by the Cardinal. Harbaugh brought along his friend, Lance Anderson. Anderson was the defensive line coach for the Torreros. The combo had led San Diego to a 20-2 record in their two seasons. Harbaugh immediately placed Lance Anderson as a position coach. More importantly, Anderson was appointed as the recruiting coordinator for Stanford. Anderson's work as a recruiter is amazing. The Stanford program has turned around in the record books without compromising the extreme importance they place on not only being the most academically stringent FBS team, but also leading the nation in graduation rate. Stanford football graduated 99 percent of its recruits. Anderson's efforts as recruiting coordinator have led to seven players named as 1st team All-Americans, and 30 players in the National Football League. In 2012, Scout named Lance Anderson "National Recruiter of the Year."

Offensive Coordinator - I'd steal away the guy who is OC at Rice.
Quote -
In between his two stints at UCLA, he spent two seasons as the associate head coach offense and tight ends coach at USC, where he was named the Pac-12 Recruiter of the Year by Scout.com in February of 2015 after helping the Trojans haul in the nation’s top recruiting class that year according to the organization.

Those are just two guys. Now remember, teams that blew out their staffs that have academics like ours are Stanford (last year), Duke (two years ago) and Vanderbilt (three years ago). I would bet some of the guys on those staffs (like Anderson) have ended up in jobs they think they are overqualified for and would reach out to Braun.

And what about Michigan State and Indiana who probably will clean out their staffs this year? While a few may be kept on by whomever the new guy is, I bet many want to keep coaching in the Big Ten and are good coaches.

To say he would not be able to find assistants is a stretch in my opinion.

Reactions: No Chores
Our best offensive seasons under Fitz were 2012 and 2017.
My apologies for misremembering the Colter-Siemian-Mark season and also for correctly identifying what a fluke it was to land JJTBC, who effectively gave up his NFL career because NU had exactly one other decent back (Larkin, a freshman in 2017) during his NU career.

Reactions: mesacat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT