ADVERTISEMENT

AP Preseason Top 25 not kind to Big Ten

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Only Indiana, with those highly-regarded freshmen, is rated in the Top 20 of the AP's pre-season Top 25.
Chris Collins is not beaten yet! The door is open for a Purple surprise...

Only Indiana, with those highly-regarded freshmen, is rated in the Top 20 of the AP's pre-season Top 25.
Chris Collins is not beaten yet! The door is open for a Purple surprise...

Pete's team is #1, Ryan's is #7.......definitely a new experience for those men.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
The Big Ten keeps getting overrated going into the Big Dance and then the teams lose in the early rounds.

If the pundits think they're bad this year, they must be really bad.

Performance in a single-elimination tournament that is legendary for upsets and unexpected outcomes does not tell you much of anything about the relative strengths of conferences. If you want to make that your barometer of success, go ahead, but that's an awfully random barometer.

There are actually 3 Big Ten teams on that Top 25 list (#13 Indiana, #22 Michigan, #23 Illinois) plus there are 5 others in other votes who would ostensibly be in the Top 40. If Big Ten teams actually perform well against non-conference teams then there will be room for more teams to move up to the Top 20 or even Top 10 for that matter. However, the Big Ten does need to perform better in post-season tournaments to build credibility as a power conference. It's top teams can can't keep woefully underperforming their seeds.

There are actually 3 Big Ten teams on that Top 25 list (#13 Indiana, #22 Michigan, #23 Illinois) plus there are 5 others in other votes who would ostensibly be in the Top 40. If Big Ten teams actually perform well against non-conference teams then there will be room for more teams to move up to the Top 20 or even Top 10 for that matter. However, the Big Ten does need to perform better in post-season tournaments to build credibility as a power conference. It's top teams can can't keep woefully underperforming their seeds.
I did say "Top 20" (as opposed to Top 25).

But if you translate the preseason rankings to NCAA tournament seeds, we are theoretically looking at a #4 seed, two #6 seeds, two #8 seeds, two #9 seeds and a #10 seed. Thats not good for the Big Ten.

I did say "Top 20" (as opposed to Top 25).

But if you translate the preseason rankings to NCAA tournament seeds, we are theoretically looking at a #4 seed, two #6 seeds, two #8 seeds, two #9 seeds and a #10 seed. Thats not good for the Big Ten.
Yes, I referenced the given top 20 cut off too, but I was also emphasizing that there are teams close by in the Top 25 and in the other votes who could push into the Top 20 or even the Top 10 if they had successful non-conference seasons.

Yes, I referenced the given top 20 cut off too, but I was also emphasizing that there are teams close by in the Top 25 and in the other votes who could push into the Top 20 or even the Top 10 if they had successful non-conference seasons.
Yeah, a lot of the premier teams are filled with new players. It is difficult to know which will be good, but I'd assume a couple of those teams will emerge. Its just a preseason poll, but it reflects the uncertainty in the Big Ten this year. (and the lingering impression of last year's underperformance in the NCAA tournament)

Last year the ACC was viewed as weak by the "experts" but that was proven totally wrong. It just took time for the coaches to get their rosters working.

KenPom seems to agree with the AP poll as well. Tiers as follows:

#12 Indiana

#23 Iowa
#25 Purdue
#26 Michigan
#31 Michigan St
#32 Ohio St
#33 Illinois

#46 Penn St
#50 Rutgers
#55 Wisconsin
#56 Maryland

#70 NU

#108 Nebraska
#109 Minnesota

Reactions: GatoLouco
KenPom seems to agree with the AP poll as well. Tiers as follows:

#12 Indiana

#23 Iowa
#25 Purdue
#26 Michigan
#31 Michigan St
#32 Ohio St
#33 Illinois

#46 Penn St
#50 Rutgers
#55 Wisconsin
#56 Maryland

#70 NU

#108 Nebraska
#109 Minnesota
Most expert picks I've see are picking MN to end above NU and UNL.

Something only NU, MN and UNL fans can possible care about.

Reactions: NUCat320
247 Sports has Illinois at 15, Indiana at 16 and Iowa at 21.

Might be a bit high to start Illinois after losing five starters. Lot to be determined.

Indiana is the popular choice in the BT, but they weren’t great last year, were not a good outside shooting team, and the two high ranked recruits are not known for their shooting.

Iowa is a nice sleeper pick. A lot depends on if Kris Murray makes a leap. They have some other nice pieces.

Indiana is the popular choice in the BT, but they weren’t great last year, were not a good outside shooting team, and the two high ranked recruits are not known for their shooting.
I think IU will go as Xavier Johnson goes. If he matures more, they will be formidable. If he continues to be nothing but the very athletic PG he is, they will be average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT