ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Lions going to win the NFC North?

It's possible, but it may be because that division will be one of the worst this year. I still don't trust Goff as their QB.

The real question, as an AFC fan, is whether KC is slipping finally. Granted, they were missing two of their best playmakers - one on D and one on O.

Reactions: corbi296
It's possible, but it may be because that division will be one of the worst this year. I still don't trust Goff as their QB.

The real question, as an AFC fan, is whether KC is slipping finally. Granted, they were missing two of their best playmakers - one on D and one on O.
I'm a Lions fan. But I'm also a realist. If Kadarious Toney could catch the ball, KC would have won by two TDs even without Kelce and Jones.

Reactions: corbi296

Goff looked darn confident in the pocket. Lions mania is a blast.

Goff looked darn confident in the pocket. Lions mania is a blast.
I didn't see the whole game, but in parts I watched, it sure looked like he was inaccurate. In the end, it seems his numbers were pretty good: 22-35 for 253 yards and a TD, so I may have been wrong.

I think the Lions will compete for a playoff spot. I just don't think they are SuperBowl caliber team yet despite their win last night.

(You're welcome, Detroit. Of course, they will now go on to win the SuperBowl because I said this.)

I didn't see the whole game, but in parts I watched, it sure looked like he was inaccurate. In the end, it seems his numbers were pretty good: 22-35 for 253 yards and a TD, so I may have been wrong.

I think the Lions will compete for a playoff spot. I just don't think they are SuperBowl caliber team yet despite their win last night.

(You're welcome, Detroit. Of course, they will now go on to win the SuperBowl because I said this.)
Goff started slow. But the fake punt on the Lions own 9 woke him and the rest of the offense up. The offense currently lacks a true deep threat, but hopefully, Jameson Williams' return in week 7 will change that. The bigger surprise was the the remade secondary. They didn't give up too many explosion plays.

Reactions: NUCat320
The Lions OL looked dominant. Their RBs were impressive. JJ probably saw the handwriting on the wall that playing time was going to be limited but I still think he quit too early.

The Lions OL looked dominant. Their RBs were impressive. JJ probably saw the handwriting on the wall that playing time was going to be limited but I still think he quit too early.
I fell asleep a little after halftime, but both lines were dominant in the first half. This is not the Same Old Loins, thank goodness.

Things have not broken right for the Bears. They have simply broken.

The Lions looked so good in the first half. Then the Pack started blitzing more and Goff reverted to the guy with happy feet who checks down at the first whiff of pressure. Still, they look easily like the best team in the Norris.

Lions will probably win a very weak division and then lose their fist playoff game. They are probably the only team I would say is good in the NFC North but not a real contender. The Packers will probably get better through the season as Love gains experience and still could challenge the Lions.

Life’s hard out here for an NFL running back. Lions sure made the right choice by letting fan favorite/anime stan Jamaal Williams go, and by signing considerably-less-entertaining David Montgomery.

(There’s a great story about how Montgomery’s best friend from high school is now his personal chef, as they live out their dreams together. It’s paywalled on the Detroit Free Press site, sadly. But also it’s a good feature.)

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Lions will probably win a very weak division and then lose their fist playoff game. They are probably the only team I would say is good in the NFC North but not a real contender. The Packers will probably get better through the season as Love gains experience and still could challenge the Lions.
You’re sadly mistaken. This is a different Detroit Lions team that will play a little deeper in the playoffs if everything goes well bearing any injuries.

You’re sadly mistaken. This is a different Detroit Lions team that will play a little deeper in the playoffs if everything goes well bearing any injuries.
You have been drinking the Honolulu blue kool-aid. I get it. My money is on the under on one playoff win.

You have been drinking the Honolulu blue kool-aid. I get it. My money is on the under on one playoff win.
No, I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily drinking the Honolulu blue Kool-Aid. It’s just the team looks hungrier and are just flying to the ball everywhere they see it especially on the defensive side of the ball

This is hogwash. Detroit definitely is a contender if they stay healthy. I think they could beat any team in the nfc in the playoffs.

We will need to revisit as season progresses. NFL long season. Very much on how you finish versus how you start. My opinion is Detroit definitely better than where they have been but a long ways from Super Bowl contender. In my opinion will need a new QB to get there. Best case is Goff makes them a fake contender.

This is hogwash. Detroit definitely is a contender if they stay healthy. I think they could beat any team in the nfc in the playoffs.
Keep dreaming is all I can say. Season and playoffs will prove who is right. I am willing to eat crow if wrong. Max 1 playoff win for Lions. Willing to put money on that. Always a risk to lose but smart money on that.

The Lions OL looked dominant. Their RBs were impressive.
They ran one of the most effective and beautiful trap plays I've ever seen. I think it was in Green Bay's red zone. The left tackle (# 72?) pulled through opposite A gap, and just blew up the second level. The play only gained about 6 yards, but oh boy, it was a work of art - just like you draw it up

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Keep dreaming is all I can say. Season and playoffs will prove who is right. I am willing to eat crow if wrong. Max 1 playoff win for Lions. Willing to put money on that. Always a risk to lose but smart money on that.
I was born at Henry Ford hospital in detroit. Life-long lions fan. Kind of like being a long suffering Cubs fan. Lions haven't been good since barry sanders era. Let me dream of better results?? Are you a packers fan? A holland, Mi denizen?? Just curious. All I can say is that lions are better than they have been for almost 30 years. At least they should be in the conversation as potential contenders. They are gonna be good...trust me. And I hope I don't wind up with a paper bag on my head again as the season progresses....

I was born at Henry Ford hospital in detroit. Life-long lions fan. Kind of like being a long suffering Cubs fan. Lions haven't been good since barry sanders era. Let me dream of better results?? Are you a packers fan? A holland, Mi denizen?? Just curious. All I can say is that lions are better than they have been for almost 30 years. At least they should be in the conversation as potential contenders. They are gonna be good...trust me. And I hope I don't wind up with a paper bag on my head again as the season progresses....
(Lions weren’t good in the Barry Sanders era either, though his carries were entertaining.)

Reactions: drewjin
Jameson William gets to come back next week so that makes the offense even more explosive, and Jared Goff just has to cut down on the stupid INTs He’s been throwing lately, but as a whole they look way more polished and improved and you just can’t discount that.

I have to admit I am a Packers fan (long story on why). I understand the suffering as I am a life long Cubs fan. I also can't blame your optimism for the team. I agree this is the best team they have had in a long time. They should win the North. The playoffs seam to be about who is hottest and healthiest at that point in a very long season. I hope you get a chance to see them in a Super Bowl.

Lions-Bucs moved to the 4:25 slot in two weeks.

Jets-Eagles is still a late game as well, but perhaps ‘let’s see what strides Zach Wilson can make’ isn’t as interesting as HOLY SH*T SAM LAPORTA.

Speaking of the North, the Bears coaching staff fumbled away the game.

Should have kicked the FG to go ahead, but if you were gonna go for it, should have run the play when the D was unsure if you were going to go for it or was just trying to get them to jump offsides.

And certainly not trying to get that yard by handing off deep in the backfield when the D knew exactly what was coming (gee, isn't that awfully familiar?).

Lions mania is real. Teachers and staff at my daughter’s metro Detroit elementary school have gone with “just wear a bunch of Lions gear” as an all-school Halloween costume. Silver and Honolulu Blue everywhere.

Sports are cool.

I will update this post with a count of Lions-themed trick or treaters. I’ll flip if there’s a Jared Goff costume.

Update: Zero Lions trick or treaters. There was, however, snow. Lighter crowd than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUcats92
Lions mania is real. Teachers and staff at my daughter’s metro Detroit elementary school have gone with “just wear a bunch of Lions gear” as an all-school Halloween costume. Silver and Honolulu Blue everywhere.

Sports are cool.

I will update this post with a count of Lions-themed trick or treaters. I’ll flip if there’s a Jared Goff costume.
Detroit sports have stunk since Pistons 2-peat over 35 years ago. Lions have been bad. Tigers too. Although red wings won stanley cup several times a long time ago too. Now that Lions are legit contenders, everybody in and around motown is on the bandwagon- including me

Detroit sports have stunk since Pistons 2-peat over 35 years ago. Lions have been bad. Tigers too. Although red wings won stanley cup several times a long time ago too. Now that Lions are legit contenders, everybody in and around motown is on the bandwagon- including me
Yes, I will admit that I was around for the Pistons championship in 04 but sense then Detroit hasn’t had
Nothing to cheer for so it’s a breath of fresh air
that the lions are really doing good. Hopefully we can keep this up.

Yes, I will admit that I was around for the Pistons championship in 04 but sense then Detroit hasn’t had
Nothing to cheer for so it’s a breath of fresh air
that the lions are really doing good. Hopefully we can keep this up.
Forgot about the 04' pistons! You are good. isiah, lambeer the worm aguirre and the rest of the bad boys were magical and icons for a lifetime though! Never forget bird getting a few swings at bill! They lost that 1 to the celtics then came thru

Beware of recency bias: Before they fell apart over the past 10-15 years or so, the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons were proud franchises, with the Tigers playing in two World Series, the Pistons winning a championship and the Red Wings winning multiple Stanley Cups.

During the Stafford years, the Lions intermittently were competitive, but you could always point to serious deficiencies. The Ford family finally got the GM/HC combination right. Brad Holmes is elite at talent evaluation. Not bad for a guy who started as a PR intern for the Rams.

Beware of recency bias: Before they fell apart over the past 10-15 years or so, the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons were proud franchises, with the Tigers playing in two World Series, the Pistons winning a championship and the Red Wings winning multiple Stanley Cups.

During the Stafford years, the Lions intermittently were competitive, but you could always point to serious deficiencies. The Ford family finally got the GM/HC combination right. Brad Holmes is elite at talent evaluation. Not bad for a guy who started as a PR intern for the Rams.
Cincinnati fan here. We know long droughts of across the board sports futility in this town. Which makes me really happy for all those Detroit fans enjoying the Lions success.

GOUNUII

It's also the first time in the front office that the football people outnumber the bean counters in my lifetime. Chris Spielman will be team president sooner rather than later, I predict. The Lions' problem under Ford ownership is they always had a bean counter leading the football operation: Russ Thomas, Chuck Schmidt, Tom Lewand. Talented personnel evaluators always left in frustration: Jerry Vainisi, Ron Hughes and Kevin Colbert to the Steelers. But this current front office not only has Brad Holmes and Spielman, but former KC and Cleveland GM John Dorsey, and longtime Rams personnel exec Ray Agnew, the assistant GM.

Last edited:
You forgot the Pistons' 2004 title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT