ADVERTISEMENT

Are you guys planning to show on Saturday?

desihawk

Oct 1, 2002
The level of contempt for Iowa appears to be at an all time high in this neck of the woods. Not one thread, heck not even a mention of the upcoming match-up on any of the other threads. As a friendly visitor, let me be the first to inform you that Saturday will present an excellent opportunity for you guys to retrieve your W.

Some information that will improve the mood here:

With an average OL and a good RB, which I know NU possesses, you will be putting up a minimum of 200-225-yards rushing on the Hawks.

With half-way decent CBs, you will give up about 16-18 yards to Iowa in the air because we have no receivers. So Iowa's offensive output will depend entirely upon how stout your guys up front are.

Let's get it on.

While I don't think this is shaping up to be a very good season for us, I'd bet a lot that we'll find an unexpected win or two somewhere...could be in Iowa City. I wouldn't bet a dime on us winning Saturday, but if this is shaping up to be a lower-scoring game, we have a shot.

While I don't think this is shaping up to be a very good season for us, I'd bet a lot that we'll find an unexpected win or two somewhere...could be in Iowa City. I wouldn't bet a dime on us winning Saturday, but if this is shaping up to be a lower-scoring game, we have a shot.

Is there a game this weekend?

We got gashed by Miami Ohio, North Dakota State, and Buttgers. The run hasn't been this bad since 2012.
You're making us feel better about ourselves. Maybe this will turn out to be a close game, unlike the last two years against Iowa. I have no idea what to expect out of this one.

Reactions: rmndcat
Iowa has a lot of issues right now and has greatly disappointed the last 2 weeks. The 'Cats have also been less than expected, so this game sets up a bit as survival of the fittest. If Thorson can get some time due to the running game setting up the passing game, NU can be successful. Also, if Iowa stumbles out of the gates, the natives will be very restless and the conservative nature of the staff will create the pucker effect. Taking NU +12.5 seems like easy money this week. The weather looks good and both teams need to step it up!

The level of contempt for Iowa appears to be at an all time high in this neck of the woods. Not one thread, heck not even a mention of the upcoming match-up on any of the other threads. As a friendly visitor, let me be the first to inform you that Saturday will present an excellent opportunity for you guys to retrieve your W.

With an average OL and a good RB, which I know NU possesses, you will be putting up a minimum of 200-225-yards rushing on the Hawks.

With half-way decent CBs, you will give up about 16-18 yards to Iowa in the air because we have no receivers. So Iowa's offensive output will depend entirely upon how stout your guys up front are.

Let's get it on.

We are too busy wallowing in the sorrows of our declining program, virtually firing position coaches, conducting psychoanalyses of our head coach, and bickering like school children. We are in disarray.

Iowa has a lot of issues right now and has greatly disappointed the last 2 weeks. The 'Cats have also been less than expected, so this game sets up a bit as survival of the fittest. If Thorson can get some time due to the running game setting up the passing game, NU can be successful. Also, if Iowa stumbles out of the gates, the natives will be very restless and the conservative nature of the staff will create the pucker effect. Taking NU +12.5 seems like easy money this week. The weather looks good and both teams need to step it up!

Happy to open account for a Hawkeye. Send me a message ;)

Let's get it on.

"Average OL"

Lol

Sure if this was Div. III, the level of football where our O-line coach has his coaching experience from, then yes, we are indeed average.

"Average OL"

Lol

Sure if this was Div. III, the level of football where our O-line coach has his coaching experience from, then yes, we are indeed average.

I believe two of our starting OL are injured. I believe Iowa was down the same number vs. North Dakota Stare, which might explain the performance in that game, but for the fact that they were at full strength vs. Rutgers and struggled so mightily even after Rutgers lost their best offensive player and their d-lineman in the game was a true headscratcher

Thanks for the welcome words.

Is the visitors' locker room still painted pink? That could be the deciding factor.

On a more serious note, I actually think the team that beat Duke that beat Notre Dame is good enough to pull out a win at both Iowa and now exposed MSU. Illinois and Indiana should also be wins if we can avoid further injuries. Most likely that will get us to a bowl game under the academic rule like Nebraska was able to do with five wins last season. Obviously hoping for several more wins beyond that to get us to six or more in the regular season which is still possible considering that Purdue and Minnesota are on the back end of our schedule. We did pull an upset against Wisconsin last year with basically the same players so history could repeat itself. Then there are still a number of weeks yet for Ohio State to find itself or its players once again on probation by the time we play them.

The point being that the Wildcats do have something to play for besides just pride. We have had years where we played better on the road than at home, so that may be in the cards as well.

I was at Ryan Field for homecoming last year when Iowa handed NU its second, and last loss of the past regular season. After that game the senior leadership pulled the team together for a players only meeting and under that leadership the team made an attitude change that righted the ship. Regardless of the muted fan base, I would not be surprised to learn that the players have similarly challenged themselves and will be up for this game Saturday in your house.

Last edited:
I believe two of our starting OL are injured. I believe Iowa was down the same number vs. North Dakota Stare, which might explain the performance in that game, but for the fact that they were at full strength vs. Rutgers and struggled so mightily even after Rutgers lost their best offensive player and their d-lineman in the game was a true headscratcher

Weird game. Iowa played just poorly enough to not pull away and it nearly cost them. In the first half, Iowa was at the 11-yard line and Beathard and the RB ended up tangling feet and the RB fell down, when he could have walked into the end zone. Iowa ended up going for it on 4th and 5, didn't get it and got zero points. Then the first play of the second half Daniels (the RB) runs for a 75-yard TD that is called back for a chop block that was questionable at best. Another drive came to a halt when the sideline got flagged for a 15-yard penalty for being too close to the playing field.

Hard to pin exactly what the issue with Iowa is, other than for teams like Iowa or Northwestern the margin for error is rather thin. No idea what happens on Saturday as both teams have issues.

Northwestern at Iowa has shifted to the Hawkeyes the past 3 years. I enjoyed both games at Kinnick, though Oktoberfest is my destination on Saturday.

Northwestern is 10 out of last 19 or so in this series.

Kirk Ferentz was -1 vs. Iowa State ahead of this year's game. Iowa won to even series.

QB C.J. Beathard has been out of sync, since ISU game where he clearly shined with WR Matt VandeBerg.

RB Daniels and Wadley are both healthy. Wadley only had 4 carries vs. North Dakota State.

WR - Both Iowa and the Wildcats appear young at this position, but Northwestern has a WR who has topped the stats of the top 2015 receiver already. wow

TE - George Kittle has been productive and one would suspect he becomes CJ Beathard's new #1, with VandeBerg out.

Offensive line play has strugged for both teams. Iowa has best two players back. Run blocking is ahead of pass blocking for Iowa.

Special teams has been a surprise for Iowa. Will it continue?

The DL, Iowa is young on outside and sophomore Parker Hesse, returning starter at DE was injured early in first game. He had two sacks against Rutgers. His running mate 6-8 Matt Nelson had 2, as well.

All of Iowa's sacks have come from front 4 to begin season.

LBs are working to sort things out.

Iowa's secondary has one new starter at FS, Brandon Snyder, who sparked lone turnover, which lead to points, final score, at Rutgers.

This game is always an unknown, since both teams have found ways to be a thorn to the other over past 19 games.

It should be an interesting one.

peace

The locker room is pink but imo they picked a really ineffective shade of pink. They shdve gone with neon instead of the pastel but KF doesn't go all out at anything.

Your win against Duke is looking like a good one, even the loss to NE was respectable. I'm expecting a low scoring affair on Sat. If you guys pummel our DL all game, you will win. Iowa's chances will depend on whether...see here's where i'm stuck...because Iowa has no identity this year - we arnt a physical team, not a run stuffing team, not a powerful 3yards and dust team, not a spread finesse team...There's nothing we can hang our hat on.

Is the visitors' locker room still painted pink? That could be the deciding factor.

On a more serious note, I actually think the team that beat Duke that beat Notre Dame is good enough to pull out a win at both Iowa and now exposed MSU. Illinois and Indiana should also be wins if we can avoid further injuries. Most likely that will get us to a bowl game under the academic rule like Nebraska was able to do with five wins last season. Obviously hoping for several more wins beyond that to get us to six or more in the regular season which is still possible considering that Purdue and Minnesota are on the back end of our schedule. We did pull an upset against Wisconsin last year with basically the same players so history could repeat itself. Then there are still a number of weeks yet for Ohio State to find itself or its players once again on probation by the time we play them.

The point being that the Wildcats do have something to play for besides just pride. We have had years where we played better on the road than at home, so that may be in the cards as well.

I was at Ryan Field for homecoming last year when Iowa handed NU its second, and last loss of the past regular season. After that game the senior leadership pulled the team together for a players only meeting and under that leadership the team made an attitude change that righted the ship. Regardless of the muted fan base, I would not be surprised to learn that the players have similarly challenged themselves and will be up for this game Saturday in your house.

Last edited:
Northwestern at Iowa has shifted to the Hawkeyes the past 3 years. I enjoyed both games at Kinnick, though Oktoberfest is my destination on Saturday.

Kirk Ferentz was -1 vs. Iowa State ahead of this year's game. Iowa won to even series.

QB C.J. Beathard has been out of sync, since ISU game where he clearly shined with WR Matt VandeBerg.

RB Daniels and Wadley are both healthy. Wadley only had 4 carries vs. North Dakota State.

WR - Both Iowa and the Wildcats appear young at this position, but Northwestern has a WR who has topped the stats of the top 2015 receiver already. wow

TE - George Kittle has been productive and one would suspect he becomes CJ Beathard's new #1, with VandeBerg out.

Offensive line play has strugged for both teams. Iowa has best two players back. Run blocking is ahead of pass blocking for Iowa.

The DL, Iowa is young on outside and sophomore Parker Hesse, returning starter at DE was injured early in first game. He had two sacks against Rutgers. His running mate 6-8 Matt Nelson had 2, as well.

Iowa's secondary has one new starter at FS, Brandon Snyder, who sparked lone turnover, which lead to points, final score, at Rutgers.

This game is always an unknown, since both teams have found ways to be a thorn to the other over past 19 games.

peace
Your QBs name is beat-hard

That's all the trash talk I can muster :-(

Your QBs name is beat-hard

That's all the trash talk I can muster :-(
Do you know if your band is traveling for this one? I'd bet they can think of something more clever than Stanford's band for an Iowa dig.

Remember last year when internet Nebraska fans shamelessly stole your Io_a bit? Just like how they try to use the "NU" moniker and have it make sense for them? I really don't like those guys.

Good luck on Saturday gents.

peace
This could be a chance for a new high in the number of punts in an Iowa - Northwestern game in the Pat Fitzgerald era. Seven of the ten games have had 9 punts or more, with the record being 17 in 2007. Last year was the second highest at 14.

There were some high numbers in the late 90s as well: 15 in 1998, 13 in 1999 and another 15 in 2000.

Reactions: yiana
I worry that Iowa will insert their 4th string running back to run crazy on our D again this year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I worry that Iowa will insert their 4th string running back to run crazy on our D again this year.
Perhaps. I would of course defer to Glades, but I suspect that their offensive line is not as dominant as last year's. And Wadley has moved up on the depth chart.

Perhaps. I would of course defer to Glades, but I suspect that their offensive line is not as dominant as last year's. And Wadley has moved up on the depth chart.

Yeah, Wadley looks like a player. I'm probably as worried about him as I am about Beathard. With all that back-and-forth punting you referenced earlier, I could easily see this one coming down to something like an ill-timed turnover (you know, as opposed to turnovers that come at a good time :rolleyes:) or a punt return touchdown (paging Mssrs. Vault and Nagel).

Reactions: GreenBayCat
The locker room is pink but imo they picked a really ineffective shade of pink. They shdve gone with neon instead of the pastel but KF doesn't go all out at anything.

Your win against Duke is looking like a good one, even the loss to NE was respectable. I'm expecting a low scoring affair on Sat. If you guys pummel our DL all game, you will win. Iowa's chances will depend on whether...see here's where i'm stuck...because Iowa has no identity this year - we arnt a physical team, not a run stuffing team, not a powerful 3yards and dust team, not a spread finesse team...There's nothing we can hang our hat on.
Do you know anything about NU's rush offense this year? Yes, Justin Jackson is a really good running back, but the team as a whole is rushing for 108 yards per game and 3.1 yards per rush attempt. Our rush defense has not been very good to date, but I doubt NU will pummel our DL based on their performances this year. Conversely, our rush offense averages 5.0 yards per attempt. That is not shabby. We just haven't committed to the run yet. I anticipate us running more in this game and hopefully opening up the pass offense with some play action to our young receivers. I'm not saying we will win this game because anything can happen, but we should.

NU's relatively modest rush totals must be looked at in context of Iowa's DL. If nu manages to up their average even by a bit, they could be the next team to dominate TOP against iowa. Also, with mvb's exit, NU knows that Iowa will be forced to rely on the ground, so they just might bison our rush game. It remains unproven whether cjb can make them pay. I do hope taht you are correct and Iowa shows marked improvement on offense.

Do you know anything about NU's rush offense this year? Yes, Justin Jackson is a really good running back, but the team as a whole is rushing for 108 yards per game and 3.1 yards per rush attempt. Our rush defense has not been very good to date, but I doubt NU will pummel our DL based on their performances this year. Conversely, our rush offense averages 5.0 yards per attempt. That is not shabby. We just haven't committed to the run yet. I anticipate us running more in this game and hopefully opening up the pass offense with some play action to our young receivers. I'm not saying we will win this game because anything can happen, but we should.

Let's get it on.

If we do show up, it'll be the first time all year.

Whatever the outcome, the contempt will still be there. It's the pigs and corn more than anything else.

Do you know if your band is traveling for this one? I'd bet they can think of something more clever than Stanford's band for an Iowa dig.

Good luck on Saturday gents.
The band will not be coming. The band went to Iowa for the 2013 game. Band trip is to dOSU this year.

I'm not going to be real confident about the Indiana game until I see the NU offense put up more points. Indiana almost always scores a bundle of points, and I'm not sure NU can match anyone in a shootout right now.

Yeah, Wadley looks like a player. I'm probably as worried about him as I am about Beathard. With all that back-and-forth punting you referenced earlier, I could easily see this one coming down to something like an ill-timed turnover (you know, as opposed to turnovers that come at a good time :rolleyes:) or a punt return touchdown (paging Mssrs. Vault and Nagel).
Very prescient. The return game was key for both sides, but Nagel's return at the start of the game was huge. The final punt total was as well: seven for NU and eight for Iowa for fifteen. Not the record (17) of the Fitz era but close.

And that last turnover came at what we can agree was a very good time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT