ADVERTISEMENT

As ugly as this is ...

Let me say that Fresno State looks pretty good. They were a mystery box coming in. I’m hoping they do well in Mountain West competition. We played LaSalle last year, and were clearly the better team both times. Matchup with Utah will be interesting PAC-12 vs BIG10.

I was on the record predicting NIT (and potentially a deep run) before the season. Yesterday’s game confirmed some of my fears about this team’s weaknesses against quality competition.

I hope to be proven wrong but in today’s guard-dominated game I’m just not sure this experiment of four wings and a center will work.

So one game, and your entire outlook has soured? Got it.

Let me say that Fresno State looks pretty good. They were a mystery box coming in. I’m hoping they do well in Mountain West competition. We played LaSalle last year, and were clearly the better team both times. Matchup with Utah will be interesting PAC-12 vs BIG10.

They lost to ACC powerhouse Miami. They are not good. They will make zero appearances in the Top 25 nor show up to the dance.

They lost to ACC powerhouse Miami. They are not good. They will make zero appearances in the Top 25 nor show up to the dance.

Have you seen Miami play, or are you posting sight unseen? I have; they've played two impressive games in this tournament. They are also undefeated, and are ranked 21 in both KenPom and Sagrin. Any facts on which you are basing your assessment?

Have you watched the rest of our games, against low level competition? Other than the final score, what positive take aways did you part with?

I've seen them all, and took away a lot of positives, actually,. We have competitive depth that will wear down a lot of teams (particularly if Falzon returns), we are as athletic a team as perhaps I have ever seen, we have great length, and we rebound and play defense quite well.

So one game, and your entire outlook has soured? Got it.

It’s very possible that this team could turn it around and I’ll look silly for having a gloomy outlook after NU failed its first test against a quality opponent.

But I took the “they’ll pull it together” approach to last season after the noncon woes and we saw that wasn’t the case, even against an overall weaker Big Ten. I do have more faith in the leadership and tight-knit nature of this group, though.

I would eat crow and enjoy every bite. Let’s see what happens against Utah.

I guess my fear is that given the small margin of error in basketball, Collins is reaching the point where he can’t recover. Yes, on the one hand, we have the new facilities and have proven that NU can make a NCAA Tournament. But, the sustained success just isn’t there, and the risk is that NU seems like a flash in the pan is high, not to mention the novelty factor of being “the first” is gone.

Fitz, on the other hand, had a solid track record from 2008-2012, culminating in the Gator Bowl win that snapped the streak. Yes, 2013 and 2014 were non-bowl years, which was painful, but the previous success yielded Clayton Thorson, Justin Jackson, and others that elevated the program from 2015 to the present.

Can we say we have that now in basketball with the 2018 and 2019 class? I’m not sure. And that’s what worries me.

One can make the argument that Collins has had more than one recruiting year that exceed the most successful Fitz recruiting years. Other than fodder on forums, it's pretty meaningless.

I can't describe recruiting under Collins as anything other than a historic success. Never has NU brought in as high quality talent over multiple years. The facilities should add to that.

The open schollies subject is interesting and concerning. Speculation on my part that Collins will not give a ride to a kid he does not see as Big Ten material. Plenty of kids in the Chicago area who get full rides to mid majors that NU just does not recruit. A few really good seniors right now....don't quite have Big Ten bodies.

Admission standards is the other piece. The NU pool is so small compared to other schools. Illinois offered close to 10x the number of players as NU...so far Illinois has gotten commitments from one....NU three.

So, Collins looks at transfers and uses quality walkons as practice players.

It's going to take a bit more success on the court to fill out the roster.

We have had years....decades....of a roster that is majority non Big Ten talent. it didn't do much for the program.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Did you watch the Miami game today? At least right now, Fresno State certainly does not suck ...

Just watched the games tonight, so I'm catching up. (Looks like I really missed a lot of insight :rolleyes:)

I'm glad somebody finally took the Thursday opponent into consideration. That wasn't exactly Miss Valley St.

fitz. lots of up and down seasons. year 12. finally won the division and is playing for a chance to win the conference.

NU has lots of hurdles to overcome on various levels and it takes lots of time. there is no immediate pay-off for recruiting. it takes time. top level recruits never pan out and unknown players get drafted. there is no perfect formula year in year out for most programs, especially ours.
Actually year 13 for FItz

It’s very possible that this team could turn it around and I’ll look silly for having a gloomy outlook after NU failed its first test against a quality opponent.

But I took the “they’ll pull it together” approach to last season after the noncon woes and we saw that wasn’t the case, even against an overall weaker Big Ten. I do have more faith in the leadership and tight-knit nature of this group, though.

I would eat crow and enjoy every bite. Let’s see what happens against Utah.
This team looks a lot different after 6 games than last years team did. Yesterday's game looked like they were putting some things together. Granted the first couple games of the year did not look great but there were a lot of new pieces. Sunday game looked good

Have you watched the rest of our games, against low level competition? Other than the final score, what positive take aways did you part with?
Defense has a lot of potential. Kopp looks very promising. Pardon core is unbelievable man is a beast. Won't wanna try knocking him off the block. Law is playing amazing. Turner is getting better at distributing every game. Gaines just played his best game. Nance has shown some tools. Taylor is a legit scoring threat along with law anytime they touch the ball. (There's a lot of negatives but those have all been touched on and those are some positive take aways)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT