ADVERTISEMENT

One step closer to dancing

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I know I'm supposed to be watching some football game right now, but I'm still hung over from the big win this afternoon. It was ugly, the crowd wasn't up to its normal standards, and the opponent isn't one that will set the world on fire, but it was still HUGE.

This team is now tied for third place in the Big Ten, and you can say the Big Ten is down this year, but the two teams that appear to be worth a damn have both lost to NU. With every win NU gets, ugly or not, we're closer and closer to something we've only dreamed about: NU turning the corner as a basketball program. Is it possible to imagine NU is where Duke was 45 years ago or Gonzaga was 25 years ago? Getting to the tourney in 2017 was the first step. Getting there in back-to-back years is step #2. Step 3: ? Step 4: Perennial Power.

I know I'm supposed to be watching some football game right now, but I'm still hung over from the big win this afternoon. It was ugly, the crowd wasn't up to its normal standards, and the opponent isn't one that will set the world on fire, but it was still HUGE.

This team is now tied for third place in the Big Ten, and you can say the Big Ten is down this year, but the two teams that appear to be worth a damn have both lost to NU. With every win NU gets, ugly or not, we're closer and closer to something we've only dreamed about: NU turning the corner as a basketball program. Is it possible to imagine NU is where Duke was 45 years ago or Gonzaga was 25 years ago? Getting to the tourney in 2017 was the first step. Getting there in back-to-back years is step #2. Step 3: ? Step 4: Perennial Power.
We are 7-0 at home in the BigTen. That is unfathomable to anyone with historical familiarity with NU basketball.

Need to win 23 games this year to make up for loss to Chicago State.
Yeah, this is nonsense. 12 conf wins gets us in as an 8/9, 13 conf wins gets us a 6/7, 14 conf wins a 5/6. One game at a time but our goal is within sight. LFG ‘Cats.

Reactions: UpsetAlert
I think 11 gets us in. But I’d love 12-13!
In a world where 12-8 gets us an 8/9 seed, which is probably right, 11-9 must surely most likely keep us on the 10/11 line pending some Big Ten tourney meltdown.

Getting a double bye feels like a semi big deal too. Top 4 would be great, and it would give our very shallow team a great chance to win one game against a tired opponent and advance to the weekend, which feels like it should seal a bid up. It’s going to be outrageously difficult for this team to win on consecutive days given the lack of depth, especially if Berry isn’t back, so just having to win on Friday would be excellent. 11 wins or 12 and Chicago state or no, a fourth place big ten finish with wins over Purdue, Illinois, Dayton, et all and a trip to the conference tourney semis is a great resume.

Reactions: drewjin

Mentioned this in another thread, but CCC would agree with you re: the magnitude of this win, based on his postgame comments on BTN. Called it maybe the best W of the year, under the circumstances.

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT