ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

This is the crux of many of the arguments on the Wildcat Report boards.

If every team had the exact same roster, it would be pretty easy to know which coaches/programs were good and which coaches/programs were not so good. Wins and losses. Over time.

However, thats not how it works and therefore, evaluation becomes somewhat subjective. People will argue "its impossible to win at Northwestern because of admissions" and then when we do win, they stick to their premise, even though they have been proven wrong. A logical person would conclude "There must be some other effect that is offsetting that apparent disadvantage - or maybe that disadvantage isn't such a problem."

Not putting you in that camp. I loved your response that I quoted above.

I think Fitzgerald was a good head coach and a great representative of Northwestern. He was more dependent on his assistants than I realized.

Sorry to hear that your health has been a battle. Hang in there.
I don’t think many claim it is “impossible” to win at NU. Put me in the camp that it is “difficult” to win at NU. Put me in the camp that we have a significant disadvantage due to admissions. To me it is obvious.

Sparky Anderson was a genius with the Big Red Machine. He went to the Tigers and started out with the worst team in MLB. A few years later he won the World Series. So genius, idiot, back to genius. The difference is the players. Good players win championships. Without good players Sparky, Saban or even Wooden don’t climb the mountain. Coaching matters, but no matter how good, it doesn’t overcome massive talent differential.

I don’t think many claim it is “impossible” to win at NU. Put me in the camp that it is “difficult” to win at NU. Put me in the camp that we have a significant disadvantage due to admissions. To me it is obvious.

Sparky Anderson was a genius with the Big Red Machine. He went to the Tigers and started out with the worst team in MLB. A few years later he won the World Series. So genius, idiot, back to genius. The difference is the players. Good players win championships. Without good players Sparky, Saban or even Wooden don’t climb the mountain. Coaching matters, but no matter how good, it doesn’t overcome massive talent differential.

There used to be a pretty significant difference between building a successful pro sports team and building a successful college sports program. Primarily in roster management, but also in the willingness of the pro team to spend money to sign players. Mandatory personnel changes every 4 years in college, stuff like that. Not so different anymore, as in the last 2 years. Seems like NIL and instant transfer will hurt NU basketball and football more than anything that came before, but we'll see how it plays out. On paper? Not good.

Ultimately, if a team is able to win in the Big Ten, there has to be something that enables it to do so.
Credit has to go to either the players or the coaches or both.
We cannot have bad talent and inferior coaches and win. I'm sure of that.

There are only a couple possible explanations for any success...

1. "Somehow" despite the significant disadvantages imposed by Northwestern's admissions standards, the coaches excel at identifying unappreciated talent and convincing mediocre prospects to attend Northwestern, then developing them into capable players.

or

2. We are able to recruit capable players because Northwestern is more appealing than other programs. Despite the admissions requirements (which significantly restrict the size of the available talent pool) our coaches are able to bring in enough talent to develop them and win games - mainly because so many of the eligible players want to play for (and earn a degree from) Northwestern.

Whether this holds in the future is to be determined.

So you’re saying the wins were only produced by the players and the loses were all the fault of the coaches? I would give some credit to the coaches for the two ten win seasons. They did develop those players. We are handicapped by our admission policies and it is not easy getting players. Failure to find the right QB candidates led to an issue after Thorson. We were relying on Hunter to be the man and he turned out to be the deer in the headlights. I fault the coaches for not having a good plan B when it became obvious that Hunter was gun shy. But just like any team, you need a competent QB to win. Ramsey and Bryant were not 5-star studs but they knew what they were doing. Hopefully Braun and Lujan can get that out of Wright while developing the QBs that they recruited.

I think we are getting a bit carried away by trying to make the coaching sound like a complete failure. You need players and coaches to have competency to win 10 games twice. I agree that McCall lost his way as well as a bad job by the entire staff in recruiting but there were some good years in there.

The coaches do get some of the credit - altho, wouldn't exactly credit the coaches, for example, when Persa making making something out of nothing.

But at the same time, there are many things the coaching staff got wrong; yes, mistakes are going to happen, but the problem is when the staff keeps repeating the same mistakes or taking so long to recognize mistakes (taking half a season before realizing that thy had to simply things for the secondary) or not even recognizing them until an outside source let them know (O-line tipping plays).

Admissions is too often the easy scapegoat.

Stanford arguably has tougher admissions and they long have recruited better (altho it hasn't always produced on the field).

But the Cats didn't even need to be Stanford on the recruiting front; for the last half of Fitz's tenure, the Cats' recruiting classes were in the ballpark with the 2 teams it mostly was tussling with for the West title, Wisky and Iowa.

Nebby was the one program in the West that, on paper, had clearly better classes, but they were a total loss on the coaching front.

So, as I've stated before, the opportunity was ripe for the program to take advantage of disarray in the West, especially as both Wisky and Iowa were having their own issues on offense.

What I'm saying is no different than what many Iowa and Wisky fans think - that if their HCs had made better decisions with regard to their respective offenses, the West was there for the taking.

And the QB issue simply wasn't a post Thorson thing.

Could never develop a capable backup (for Siemian, Thorson) which again, goes back to McC's scheme which is so heavily dependent on not only the QB having experience, but the other players on O (whereas we had seen plenty of young, inexperienced players come in and have a major impact on Hank's D).

And while Thorson did just enough to help the historical D in his first season as starter, imagine what that team could have done with just an average passing QB?

Also, whole a lot of the blame has gone to the QBs who tried to succeed Thorson, they all would have been helped out if the O-line had been at least decent.

The failure to field a decent O-line after the 2012 season is probably Fitz's failure.

As for Hunter, for an O scheme that was known to be more difficult on the QB, who's bright idea was it for him to run the scout team when he was sitting out that year?

It's coaches repeatedly making decisions that defy plain common sense is what drove me nuts over the past decade or so.

Well, Iowa have had a pretty rough time trying to best Iowa State and they did lose games to Central Michigan, North Dakota State, and NIU during the Fitz era. Plus of course all those losses to us, which really got under their skin.

The grass is not always greener.

Never stated that would want trade places; after all, the 2 programs had about the same highs in the B1GW with Iowa just avoiding the severe downturns.

Iowa has had the upper hand against Iowa St as of late and they have been the better overall program than the Pumpkinheads.

Sure, programs lose to lower level foes from time to time (unless you're one of the truly elite), but Iowa probably hasn't lost to half as many lower tier programs as the Cats had under Fitz.

The one thing we all probably would agree on is wishing we had Iowa's kicking game.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and Hkjb
The coaches do get some of the credit - altho, wouldn't exactly credit the coaches, for example, when Persa making making something out of nothing.

But at the same time, there are many things the coaching staff got wrong; yes, mistakes are going to happen, but the problem is when the staff keeps repeating the same mistakes or taking so long to recognize mistakes (taking half a season before realizing that thy had to simply things for the secondary) or not even recognizing them until an outside source let them know (O-line tipping plays).

Stanford arguably has tougher admissions and they long have recruited better (altho it hasn't always produced on the field).

But the Cats didn't even need to be Stanford on the recruiting front; for the last half of Fitz's tenure, the Cats' recruiting classes were in the ballpark with the 2 teams it mostly was tussling with for the West title, Wisky and Iowa.

Nebby was the one program in the West that, on paper, had clearly better classes, but they were a total loss on the coaching front.

So, as I've stated before, the opportunity was ripe for the program to take advantage of disarray in the West, especially as both Wisky and Iowa were having their own issues on offense.

What I'm saying is no different than what many Iowa and Wisky fans think - that if their HCs had made better decisions with regard to their respective offenses, the West was there for the taking.

Could never develop a capable backup (for Siemian, Thorson) which again, goes back to McC's scheme which is so heavily dependent on not only the QB having experience, but the other players on O (whereas we had seen plenty of young, inexperienced players come in and have a major impact on Hank's D).

And while Thorson did just enough to help the historical D in his first season as starter, imagine what that team could have done with just an average passing QB?

Also, whole a lot of the blame has gone to the QBs who tried to succeed Thorson, they all would have been helped out if the O-line had been at least decent.

The failure to field a decent O-line after the 2012 season is probably Fitz's failure.

As for Hunter, for an O scheme that was known to be more difficult on the QB, who's bright idea was it for him to run the scout team when he was sitting out that year?

It's coaches repeatedly making decisions that defy plain common sense is what drove me nuts over the past decade or so.

Never stated that would want trade places; after all, the 2 programs had about the same highs in the B1GW with Iowa just avoiding the severe downturns.

Iowa has had the upper hand against Iowa St as of late and they have been the better overall program than the Pumpkinheads.

Sure, programs lose to lower level foes from time to time (unless you're one of the truly elite), but Iowa probably hasn't lost to half as many lower tier programs as the Cats had under Fitz.

The one thing we all probably would agree on is wishing we had Iowa's kicking game.
Almost every program in the country complain about their coaching. Maybe every program! Fans expect their HC’s to be like airline pilots. They aren’t like that. Every game we question decisions. That’s a lot of the fun in being a fan. As you say, just don’t make obvious repetitive mistakes.

If every team had the exact same roster, it would be pretty easy to know which coaches/programs were good and which coaches/programs were not so good. Wins and losses. Over time.

However, thats not how it works and therefore, evaluation becomes somewhat subjective. People will argue "its impossible to win at Northwestern because of admissions" and then when we do win, they stick to their premise, even though they have been proven wrong. A logical person would conclude "There must be some other effect that is offsetting that apparent disadvantage - or maybe that disadvantage isn't such a problem."

I think Fitzgerald was a good head coach and a great representative of Northwestern. He was more dependent on his assistants than I realized.

I find it interesting how much better McCall and Bajakian performed as coordinators when they had Rogers and Bryant at QB vs. Hunter and Hilinski. We can play this game all day; I guess this is what keeps message boards like these in business (along with paid subscribers). 🤷‍♂️

I find it interesting how much better McCall and Bajakian performed as coordinators when they had Rogers and Bryant at QB vs. Hunter and Hilinski. We can play this game all day; I guess this is what keeps message boards like these in business (along with paid subscribers). 🤷‍♂️
Ramsey?

Can’t win without decent players. How many HOF’s did Lombardi have?

Who is Rogers?

Remember Thorson in 2015 as a RS Frosh? Yet somehow we managed to go 10-3 and the three losses were all by at least 30 pts. So how was that average passing QB going to improve that? And after that year he became a reasonable passing QB averaging a little better than 3000 yds per season.

Lot of people here bashed Cushing. But McCall was able to successfully navigate those issues. In fact in his last 4 years (Cushing's) we were able to go 36-17 including going 3-1 in bowls.

Everything fell apart in 2019 (McCall's last year) as HJ did not work out and it brought to the forefront the struggles we had had recruiting HS qbs. The OL was questionable as well in Anderson's first year (most still blamed that on Cushing and his recruiting, ignoring that he was also responsible for Slater being here) and McCall was gone at the end of the season,

Last edited:

Most are not saying it is impossible to win at NU. But we are saying it is much, much more difficult and judging the program by the same standards as top programs such as Mich, dOSU etc is grossly unfair The same is true (but to a slightly lesser extent) when compared with second tier programs.

This is why we relish the successes that the program has occasionally been able to deliver

All 4 QBs you mentioned were transfers, which confirms the programs past inability to recruit and develop QBs. Consider this: Brendan Sullivan is the most successful QB recruit since Thorson, so in a decade. Second most successful since Trevor

All 4 QBs you mentioned were transfers, which confirms the programs past inability to recruit and develop QBs. Consider this: Brendan Sullivan is the most successful QB recruit since Thorson, so in a decade. Second most successful since Trevor
McCall's HS QB recruiting in his last years here is basically why he is gone. Same can be said for Jake

About Stanford, they actually lower their standard for athletes. Stanford allows 2% of their class to be below their minimum standard, decided on a case by case basis. It allowed them to bring football and basketball players (and some Olympic sport athletes) that would not get into NU. Of course, Harbaugh abused that by having the admissions department deny or hold back on acceptance of athletes who met the standard when he found better talent. I believe that is how we got Kain Colter when he committed to Stanford but had his admission held up while 3 higher ranked QBs in the same class with lower grades/scores were accepted. It also should be noted that all 3 of those QBs ended up transferring with only one actually playing any games at Stanford.

Reactions: No Chores
About Stanford, they actually lower their standard for athletes. Stanford allows 2% of their class to be below their minimum standard, decided on a case by case basis. It allowed them to bring football and basketball players (and some Olympic sport athletes) that would not get into NU. Of course, Harbaugh abused that by having the admissions department deny or hold back on acceptance of athletes who met the standard when he found better talent. I believe that is how we got Kain Colter when he committed to Stanford but had his admission held up while 3 higher ranked QBs in the same class with lower grades/scores were accepted. It also should be noted that all 3 of those QBs ended up transferring with only one actually playing any games at Stanford.
Sort of but Cain Colter injured his shoulder and then Hairballs and company stopped returning calls. I am not sure that the guys they accepted could not get into NU. We too allow lower standards for athletes than the general student body

NU also materially lowers academic standards from “regular” admissions for scholarship athletes. Is this really news?

NU also materially lowers academic standards from “regular” admissions for scholarship athletes. Is this really news?
I was under the impression that we did not do it to the degree that Stanford does and that is one reason their graduation rate for athletes is not that high (88% for their football players vs 97% for ours).

Last edited:
Incorrect.
According to NCAA.org, the Football graduation rates I quote is correct. What is your source for your one word answer?

The most important point that separated Northwestern from Duke, Vanderbilt, and Stanford is that the graduation rate for our football players is higher than that of the student body. It is a credit to both the football program and our admissions department that make sure we bring in student-athletes (97% versus 94% of the entire student body) who will exceed in the class room. Stanford (88% football vs 94% all students), Duke (88% vs 95%), and especially Vanderbilt (81% vs 92%) do not meet that standard for football players they accept. I know of no better way of defining a standard than bringing in student-athletes that have a better chance of graduating than your student body. Isn’t that the whole point if admitting students?

Last edited:
Reactions: No Chores
According to NCAA.org, the Football graduation rates I quote is correct. What is your source for your one word answer?

The most important point that separated Northwestern from Duke, Vanderbilt, and Stanford is that the graduation rate for our football players is higher than that of the student body. It is a credit to both the football program and our admissions department that make sure we bring in student-athletes (97% versus 94% of the entire student body) who will exceed in the class room. Stanford (88% football vs 94% all students), Duke (88% vs 95%), and especially Vanderbilt (81% vs 92%) do not meet that standard for football players they accept. I know of no better way of defining a standard than bringing in student-athletes that have a better chance of graduating than your student body. Isn’t that the whole point if admitting students?
The facts you cite are the primary reason I supported Pat Fitzgerald as head coach.

Don't worry about gocatsgo2003. Annoying one-word answers are sort of his thing. It can come off as offensive and condescending, because it is, to some degree. However he does have insight into the NU football program, so he gets away with it.

When Johnny Dawkins was being considered for the Stanford head basketball coach position, somebody affiliated with Stanford athletics said something to the effect of "I hope he understands that the admissions process here is a lot tougher than what they do at Duke."

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
There used to be a pretty significant difference between building a successful pro sports team and building a successful college sports program. Primarily in roster management, but also in the willingness of the pro team to spend money to sign players. Mandatory personnel changes every 4 years in college, stuff like that. Not so different anymore, as in the last 2 years. Seems like NIL and instant transfer will hurt NU basketball and football more than anything that came before, but we'll see how it plays out. On paper? Not good.

Ultimately, if a team is able to win in the Big Ten, there has to be something that enables it to do so.
Credit has to go to either the players or the coaches or both.
We cannot have bad talent and inferior coaches and win. I'm sure of that.

There are only a couple possible explanations for any success...

1. "Somehow" despite the significant disadvantages imposed by Northwestern's admissions standards, the coaches excel at identifying unappreciated talent and convincing mediocre prospects to attend Northwestern, then developing them into capable players.

or

2. We are able to recruit capable players because Northwestern is more appealing than other programs. Despite the admissions requirements (which significantly restrict the size of the available talent pool) our coaches are able to bring in enough talent to develop them and win games - mainly because so many of the eligible players want to play for (and earn a degree from) Northwestern.

Whether this holds in the future is to be determined.
A third explanation. getting just enough talent, and a system that enables that lower but still reasonable amount of talent to work in a way that they can be successful., Example Hanks bend but don't break system being successful with less overall talent coupled with an O that did not put the D in bad position and did just enough to enable them to win.

We seem to be going back to that type of D and we will see about the O

NU and Stanford have similar admissions/academic standards for their scholarship athletes. Your NCAA facts are accurate, as far as I know.

NU and Stanford have similar admissions/academic standards for their scholarship athletes. Your NCAA facts are accurate, as far as I know.
Then he just has to figure why the athletes are leaving Stanford / Duke before getting the degree

Then Stanford does a poor job with the football players on the academic side
I’d rather have the higher number but the difference between 88% and 97% on a team of 85 players in a four year cohort is not that big of a deal let alone 96% vs 97%.

Different ways to measure graduation rate. GSR = Graduation Success Rate, which adjusts for transfers. FGR = Federal Graduation Rate, which has no adjustments.
GSR is an absurd “smoke and mirror” propaganda tool used to inflate the numbers to make schools look better. It was created in 2003 by school presidents to inflate the graduation rates.. The term “transfer” means students who leave the school are removed from the numbers as long as they did not flunk out and students who transferred in are only counted if they receive a degree. It does not mean students actually transferred to another school or even if they transferred, it does not mean they actually got a degree at that other school. Less than 20% of the so called transfers actually went to play at another school and even only 60% of those get a degree. So if I had 100 athletes and 88 graduated, 3 flunked out, 1 student transferred in and graduated, and 9 did not graduate but played 4 years and left without flunking out, the FGR would be 88/100 or 88.% while my GSR would be 89/92 or 96.7%. Statistically, of those 9 who left without flunking, 2 actually transferred to another school and earned a degree. So the true graduation rate of the 100 original athletes is 90/100 or 90%. But the schools would rather people focus on the 97% GSR to make them look better. That is why Stanford, and those on this board who want to ignore the truth, would say, “if you include transfers our graduation rate (GSR) is 97%”. Stanford knows full well that some of their football players never got a degree at all. The schools want to ignore those kids to inflate their graduation rate.

FGR is flawed because it does not count kids who actually did transfer to play at another school and got a degree. However it is closer to the actual graduation rate than GSR.

Last edited:
GSR is an absurd “smoke and mirror” propaganda tool used to inflate the numbers to make schools look better. It was created in 2003 by school presidents to inflate the graduation rates.. The term “transfer” means students who leave the school are removed from the numbers as long as they did not flunk out and students who transferred in are only counted if they receive a degree. It does not mean students actually transferred to another school or even if they transferred, it does not mean they actually got a degree at that other school. Less than 20% of the so called transfers actually went to play at another school and even only 60% of those get a degree. So if I had 100 athletes and 88 graduated, 3 flunked out, 1 student transferred in and graduated, and 9 did not graduate but played 4 years and left without flunking out, the FGR would be 88/100 or 88.% while my GSR would be 89/92 or 96.7%. Statistically, of those 9 who left without flunking, 2 actually transferred to another school and earned a degree. So the true graduation rate of the 100 original athletes is 90/100 or 90%. But the schools would rather people focus on the 97% GSR to make them look better. That is why Stanford, and those on this board who want to ignore the truth, would say, “if you include transfers our graduation rate (GSR) is 97%”. Stanford knows full well that some of their football players never got a degree at all. The schools want to ignore those kids to inflate their graduation rate.

FGR is flawed because it does not count kids who actually did transfer to play at another school and got a degree. However it is closer to the actual graduation rate than GSR.

So… neither tells the full story and the truth is probably somewhere in between? Weird, almost like there’s a reason I might have cited both.

You mean Ramsey?

And much better? We were still below average on offense and I believe even bottom quartile. I suppose that’s better than near dead last.

While at many schools it may be, student athletes that tend to go to Stanford, Duke and others on the list are people that valued education and if they left early for something else they are probably still more likely to finish getting a degree than someone from Podunk U.

Sorry but student athletes that tend to go to Stanford, Duke and others
I’d rather have the higher number but the difference between 88% and 97% on a team of 85 players in a four year cohort is not that big of a deal let alone 96% vs 97%.
on the list are people that valued education and if they left early for somehting else are probably more likely to finish getting a degree than someone from Podunk U.
I agree that Stanford and Duke are fine academic schools and have better than average graduation rates. The difference is that Northwestern puts in the effort of making sure their athletes graduate with a Northwestern degree. It is part of the 40 not 4 concept. The difference on an 85 man roster for Stanford, is 10 kids who did not graduate. Of those 10, statistically only 2 went on to other schools to graduate while the other 8 left with no degree at all from any college (within 6 years). My guess is every football player who signed a letter of intent to Stanford and Duke wanted a degree from that university, but 12% of the roster will not get one. That is a very significant difference.

I agree that Stanford and Duke are fine academic schools and have better than average graduation rates. The difference is that Northwestern puts in the effort of making sure their athletes graduate with a Northwestern degree. It is part of the 40 not 4 concept. The difference on an 85 man roster for Stanford, is 10 kids who did not graduate. Of those 10, statistically only 2 went on to other schools to graduate while the other 8 left with no degree at all from any college (within 6 years). My guess is every football player who signed a letter of intent to Stanford and Duke wanted a degree from that university, but 12% of the roster will not get one. That is a very significant difference.
Sorry but Stanford and Duke and not the general level of colleges and IMO it is much more likely for people in that group to get the degree somewhere. So until you show that the general statistics pertain to them as well, I am not buying.

I want to apologize to the board for my rant on graduation rate.

Edit: I removed the rest of my original post here because I felt is was not appropriate.i know people don’t change their minds even when presented with data, so I’ll just end the conversation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT