ADVERTISEMENT

Attempt at a deeper dive into recruiting

Why wouldn't Collins get the same long leash that Carmody had? And why couldn't he do just as much as it, as Carmody did with his best recruiting class being his ninth?

Why wouldn't Collins get the same long leash that Carmody had? And why couldn't he do just as much as it, as Carmody did with his best recruiting class being his ninth?
Given that Colins' contract runs through 2025, he has exactly the same leash length as Carmody had......

Fitz has never had a 4-8 season, except for his very first year in 2006.

(Yes yes, it seems like splitting hairs, but 5-7 like in 2013 and 2014 would now probably be enough to get NU into a bowl game, with the team’s APR score. And I equate bad bowls to making the NIT.)

5-7 or even 6-6 seasons suck. So, frankly does the NIT. That anyone considers this to be acceptable kind of disgusts me.

I want MOAR

Because we should learn from history and not repeat mistakes.

Reactions: IGNORE2
5-7 or even 6-6 seasons suck. So, frankly does the NIT. That anyone considers this to be acceptable kind of disgusts me.

I want MOAR

I prefer making a bowl game to not making one. Gives the team extra practice reps to develop for the future.

I prefer making the NIT to not making a tournament. It gives the team postseason experience to develop for the future.

I'm not saying it's acceptable as an every-season occurrence. I'm saying if that's the floor for a "bad year," which only happens once every several years, I can live with that.

Collins has not proven that's his "floor" yet. Fitz has.

I prefer making a bowl game to not making one. Gives the team extra practice reps to develop for the future.

I prefer making the NIT to not making a tournament. It gives the team postseason experience to develop for the future.

I'm not saying it's acceptable as an every-season occurrence. I'm saying if that's the floor for a "bad year," which only happens once every several years, I can live with that.

Collins has not proven that's his "floor" yet. Fitz has.

Sure, I guess I prefer having uncontrolled diarrhea vs. blood pouring out of my ass. Everything is relative.

And I guess if the diarrhea only lasts temporarily, I would literally live with that. But, it still sucks.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I think it’s a stretch to call any of the following “good” players, by B1G standards:
Vassar
Brown
Ash
Benson
Falzon

This is not to say they cannot become “good” players (let’s define good as “rotation players for a team that could finish in the top half of the conference”), just that they

I think that Gaines might become a “good” player by this definition, and that Benson and Falzon could as well.

We’ll call Ivanauskas bad luck.

The following players became, or were for at least a season or two, good players:
Mc
Law
‘Rerk
Lindsey
Skelly

I see five good, a sixth who will probably be good (AG), a seventh possibly will be (Benson), an eighth that most likely won’t be (Falzon), ninth that almost certainly won’t be (Ash), and two that weren’t (Brown and Vassar). At its most optimistic, that looks like an 82% hit rate, but more likely closer to a 63%.

I think NU’s roster - with a transfer, a grad transfer, and an unfilled grad transfer spot, and five freshmen - speaks to the fact that recruiting has been very hit-or-miss. If you hit, you aren’t looking elsewhere. (I think Turner and Taylor will prove to be hits, for what it’s worth.)

I’m also happy that CCC is locked up for a long time.
I think Benson is better than this board gives him credit for. He's was for sure a solid B1G back up center last year. The problem is Pardon is just so good he gets the minutes. Also their styles of play didn't really match up well to put on the court at the same time. I doubt we will ever see too much of the "twin towers" unless someone devolps quicker feet and a good jumper.

Calling hits guys who would contribute at a top half B1G level misses are not

I would call brown and Vassar misses
Ash has one more year to prove himself as more then a situational defensive guard. So I'm gonna say miss but he could very easily change that this year
RI and falzon were just bad luck misses because of injuries and looked very promising as recruits. Falzon could change that this year
Bmac- hit obviously
Pardon- hit obviously
law - hit obviously
Lindsey - before he went down with mono was looking like one of the top scoring threats in the B1G and his defense was pretty good then too. The other 3 seasons we just saw flashes of that streak he went on. Hit
Skelly- improved every year and became an excellent 6th man caliber player his senior year. Hit
Gaines - solid defense by the end of freshman season. Showed great slashing ability. Needs to work on his jumper to become an impact player but he for sure has the potential. TBD

So first class was 4/5 80%
2nd class 1/3 33%
3rd class 1/3 33%
4th and 5th class tbd
Overall 6/11 55%

Reactions: ricko654321
Thanks for sharing and lifting this board as you always do.

Perfect example!

There is blood pouring from one's ass, and then there are the ponderings of Mystic Cat. I guess the blood pouring from one's ass isn't that bad after all.

Like I said, everything is relative.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I think Benson is better than this board gives him credit for. He's was for sure a solid B1G back up center last year. The problem is Pardon is just so good he gets the minutes. Also their styles of play didn't really match up well to put on the court at the same time. I doubt we will ever see too much of the "twin towers" unless someone devolps quicker feet and a good jumper.

Calling hits guys who would contribute at a top half B1G level misses are not

I would call brown and Vassar misses
Ash has one more year to prove himself as more then a situational defensive guard. So I'm gonna say miss but he could very easily change that this year
RI and falzon were just bad luck misses because of injuries and looked very promising as recruits. Falzon could change that this year
Bmac- hit obviously
Pardon- hit obviously
law - hit obviously
Lindsey - before he went down with mono was looking like one of the top scoring threats in the B1G and his defense was pretty good then too. The other 3 seasons we just saw flashes of that streak he went on. Hit
Skelly- improved every year and became an excellent 6th man caliber player his senior year. Hit
Gaines - solid defense by the end of freshman season. Showed great slashing ability. Needs to work on his jumper to become an impact player but he for sure has the potential. TBD

So first class was 4/5 80%
2nd class 1/3 33%
3rd class 1/3 33%
4th and 5th class tbd
Overall 6/11 55%
While you would have to call RI a miss, I do not think you can call Falzon one. He started as a Frosh and while injuries have slowed him down, he still got on the floor and has a couple years left

Last edited:
Ehile you would have to call RI a miss, I do not think you can call Falzon one. He started as a Frosh and while injuries have slowed him down, he still got on the floor and has a couple years left
You can't call a guy who was injured for 2 season a miss.

"Incomplete" is the only logical grade.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
You can't call a guy who was injured for 2 season a miss.

"Incomplete" is the only logical grade.
I don't have a problem with an incomplete but calling him a miss I do. Even injured he was able to start his frosh year.

I was referring to Rap. He didn't play his first year and only a few games his second.
Rap is now no longer on the team and contributed nothing while he was here. That is an absolute and total whiff.

Lol. Setting an arbitrary benchmark for success that you know won’t be met so you can bash Collins. So obvious.

NU is a developmental program at its core and a recruiting class that’s in the middle of the pack will be just fine to sustain the team’s momentum.

Well, let's see:

1. Different AD who hired him.
2. Different and elevated expectations after the school's first NCAA trip.
3. The general trend towards firing coaches sooner rather than later.
4. The Vassar episode.

Reactions: Styre
Perfect example!

There is blood pouring from one's ass, and then there are the ponderings of Mystic Cat. I guess the blood pouring from one's ass isn't that bad after all.

Like I said, everything is relative.

Man, I remember twenty years ago, back when Brody Deren and David Newman and the rest were going to turn things around, that you were a mellow dude who made nice contributions to the board.

... 3. The general trend towards firing coaches sooner rather than later.

Compared to other programs, one of NU's few positive differentiators that has value is a proven patience with coaches. If you kill that just because "everybody else does it," you're devaluing a job even more that doesn't exactly have people lining up.

Reactions: NUCat320
Two shoulder surgeries in 2 years and you think he is the same player? Please.

To which school did he transfer?

You've got examples of shoulder surgeries curtailing or ending basketball careers, do you? The bottom line is that if he was a good prospect, good programs would've wanted his services when he left. It wasn't microfracture surgery or anything like that.

It was a rhetorical. I will follow him at Colgate and I hope he lights it up, as I do with all the transfers who leave. Isaiah Brown will excel at his next stop.

What about the ones who stay? Will you cheer as hard for them?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Man, I remember twenty years ago, back when Brody Deren and David Newman and the rest were going to turn things around, that you were a mellow dude who made nice contributions to the board.

Yeah, well 13 years of Carmody will wear a man down.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Oh, come now, you were a Carmody defender for much of that time. I think maybe a more accurate phrase would've been, "NU basketball will wear a man down."

For the first few seasons, perhaps. It's my nature to be supportive and optimistic about things.

I was definitely not a Carmody fan by the end of it. By the 13th year, I hated having him as our coach with a vengeance and especially the mediocrity he set as a standard for the program. And I was never the same after that suffering.

I will likely never recover.

Rap is now no longer on the team and contributed nothing while he was here. That is an absolute and total whiff.
It was a miss but a conditional one. Injuries changed everything.

It was a miss but a conditional one. Injuries changed everything.
Yes, I see the distinction you are making. From a placing blame point of view, this one is perhaps not a total strike against the coaching staff. But from purely a did we get a guy who is an important part of this team now point of view, then this was a total strikeout.

It's pretty obvious it's been a tough recruiting year for CC. The program hasn't completely turned the corner, and there are a lot of offers out there.

However, I'd argue it's still pretty early in the recruiting season. Only a small percentage of the 2019 NU offers have made their final decisions. Another example is MSU has four schollies available this year and no commits yet.

However, quite a few have already crossed NU off their list.

It's pretty obvious NU has some work to do before they become a regular part of the top 100 discussion.

I'm not a believer this is a make or break year for CC on the recruiting trail - especially since most of us have no clue about how players will develop (All of you screaming in excitement about the All-B10 potential of Dererk Pardon in 2015 raise your hand.) It's too difficult to recruit to NU's academic standards. You're kidding yourself if you think this is a 3-5 year turnaround similar to other programs.

But this staff does need to begin to show a little something more in the next couple years. It probably needs an NIT in the next year or two and another tourney by the end of the Nance class. Or else the preception could be the same ol', same 'ol.

CC also needs to show future prospects it can succeed with top-100 talent in Nance and Kopp.

Here's a look at where all the 2019 offers stand as far as I can see. I was only looking for firm final lists from players' personal Twitter accounts. For the most part, I'm not messing around with Internet "reporting" or a long list of offers.

First, the good news ...

NU on their final list
Yavoz Gultekin - NU, TCU, Nebraska, Georgetown (8/19)
Maceo Austin - NU PSU, VCU, Duquesne (8/1)
Majok Deng - Listen to this kid and tell me he's not NU material. I assume this isn't really a final list, but he lists NU, Duke, Stanford, Cal, Princeton, Rice, Vandy, Arizona, UCLA, Utah, Ohio State, Rice and Georgia Tech (7/7)

No published short list
Robbie Beran
Daniel Buie
David Roddy
Harlond Beverly
Prince Gillam
Nobal Days
Christian Koloko
* Zach Harvey
* Zeke Nnaji - No list but good luck getting a kid with a slew of offers including Arizona, Kansas, Notre Dame and hometown Minnesota.

Published short lists that don't include NU
* EJ Liddell - OSU, Mizzou, IL, KSU, Wisconsin
* Drew Timme - NU not in his top 10
* Donovan Williams - Miami, Georgia, ASU, Texas, Texas A&M
* Malik Hall - Oregon, Texas, Purdue, Oklahoma, MSU
* Isaiah Stewart - Long dead with NU. Published a short list in May.

Verbal Commits
Kadin Shedrick - Virginia w/ no NU in his final list
Paul Mulcahy - Rutgers
Tyler Wahl - Wisconsin
Brenden Tucker - Ahhh, the joy of doing business with 17 year olds ...NU had him on campus and was one of his "early three." Then Tucker cut his list to seven without NU, but decided to re-open recruiting. A few days after that, he committed to Charleston.
Zach Freemantle - Xavier
* Francis Okoro - Oregon (reclassified to '18)
* Kira Lewis - Alabama (reclassified to '18)

* Top 100s

Things sure can change quickly in 45 days.

While you would have to call RI a miss, I do not think you can call Falzon one. He started as a Frosh and while injuries have slowed him down, he still got on the floor and has a couple years left

Falzon basically started due to Law's injury and missing the entire season (otherwise, the 2 starting forwards would have been Law and Lumpkin).

Two shoulder surgeries in 2 years and you think he is the same player? Please.

While each case is different, VV managed to come back from a recurring shoulder injury and have an impressive career.

For the first few seasons, perhaps. It's my nature to be supportive and optimistic about things.

I was definitely not a Carmody fan by the end of it. By the 13th year, I hated having him as our coach with a vengeance and especially the mediocrity he set as a standard for the program. And I was never the same after that suffering.

I will likely never recover.

It almost sounds like you were in jail. "ECat, for your crimes of prior fan message board transgressions, I sentence you to 13 years of Bill Carmody..."

Yes he does. Contractually he has a lot to play with. Basketball wise he does not. My point is that Collins has only a small window of opportunity to get the players with whom he can get over the hump to a Top 20 program. Without a very good class this year, he won't have the players. And as each year passes it will become more difficult. Then impossible. He is already on the verge of being just another Power 5 coach at a program that is nothing special to kids being recruited by Top 30 programs. An average at best BIG class this year, and a middle of the pack (short of the Dance) finish in the 2018-19 season , will be the beginning of the end for the hopes we all had when the team won its first NCAA tournament game. Here's hoping we get back to the Tourney this year. It's Collins' only realistic chance of keeping the program on the right trajectory.

This is no criticism of Collins. It's just how things work.

GOUNUII
Wow you could have sure fooled most of us, with that " this is no criticism of Collins" and "will be the beginning of the end" pronouncements.

Falzon basically started due to Law's injury and missing the entire season (otherwise, the 2 starting forwards would have been Law and Lumpkin).

While each case is different, VV managed to come back from a recurring shoulder injury and have an impressive career.
The timing of the injuries has a lot to do with it. Basically he was lost for the season before it even started. Perhaps he could have come back if he stayed. But other guys have gotten ahead of him and he has been recruited over so it was going to be tough. VV injuries came at a better time and not sure they were as serious. In addition,BC was never able to recruit over VV while CC has been able to recruit over Rap. He looked at the numbers and felt moving on was his best alternative. Cannot blame the coaching staff or him.

Reactions: drewjin
It almost sounds like you were in jail. "ECat, for your crimes of prior fan message board transgressions, I sentence you to 13 years of Bill Carmody..."

13 years of Bill Carmody is something I would not wish on Ohio State. It's not even the 13 years that hurts you the most. It's the PTSD that haunts you for years to come. I will never appreciate a back door cut ever again, every time we give up a bucket, I'll be wondering whether we were playing the 1-3-1 or what, and if we lose a recruit, I wonder if CCC was there for his official visit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT