ADVERTISEMENT

Attn: Cappy - Scouting Florida Atlantic

GatoLouco

Nov 14, 2019
Indianapolis
Come on mod, where's the scouting report for FAU?

Big Russian dude, solid guard play, yada, yada, yada.

Board members want to know

They turn it over 11.1 times a game. Their opponents turn it over 11.6 times per game.

17% of their points are “off turnovers”, though what that means is never clear to me.

They attempt 24 threes a game and make 35%.

Key to the game: Make Shots, hold onto the ball. Like always.

Come on mod, where's the scouting report for FAU?

Big Russian dude, solid guard play, yada, yada, yada.

Board members want to know
Don't you worry, I'm getting to that. First tidbit - aside from the large Russian, and his burly 6'8" backup, we will have a size advantage as they play 30-35mpg where their other 4 players range from 6'0" to 6'4".

From what I’ve read, they’re not a really good defensive team at least not as good as they were last year so we have that going for us but it’s gonna require someone outside of Buie to score this would be a great time for Brooks To pick up his play because it’s been hot and cold all season.

Reactions: DaCat
From what I’ve read, they’re not a really good defensive team at least not as good as they were last year so we have that going for us but it’s gonna require someone outside of Buie to score this would be a great time for Brooks To pick up his play because it’s been hot and cold all season.
I'm expecting the NCAA tournament beast Langborg to explode onto the scene, pairing up with Buie to light up FAU. Both Barney and Marty can't have as bad of a shooting game as they did against Wiskey in their last outing. Cats will prevail.

I'm expecting the NCAA tournament beast Langborg to explode onto the scene, pairing up with Buie to light up FAU. Both Barney and Marty can't have as bad of a shooting game as they did against Wiskey in their last outing. Cats will prevail.
Exactly! This is the real reason we recruited Langborg on the transfer portal - he is an NCAA ringer!

also, it’d be nice if Martinelli started to shoot threes more often I know he’s not the biggest threat on the team but if teams are going to leave you open You’ve got to shoot that I think he is too comfortable doing his normal back down up to the left with the hook.

also, it’d be nice if Martinelli started to shoot threes more often I know he’s not the biggest threat on the team but if teams are going to leave you open You’ve got to shoot that I think he is too comfortable doing his normal back down up to the left with the hook.
Next season, yes, more threes from Marty. But there are other better options for taking the three this year. I would rather him stick to converting his shots around the rim like he's been doing all year, but didn't do against Wiskey.

Agree with DaCat. He can make threes, and it would be awesome if he made one early (especially if wide open) to keep the D honest, but I would much rather see him go to his bread and butter.

Hopefully he's shooting threes in the gym all summer and comes back next year with a new weapon.

Boo Buie and Johnell Davis is THE premier point guard matchup of the first two days of the tournament. Both strike absolute terror into the hearts of every opponent who knows them. Just as the Wisconsin fans around me at the BTT were squealing in despair every time Buie rose to fire on Friday, Davis crushed the dreams of many a team in their final four run. This matchup is some serious, big time, explosive shit.

They have a 7 foot Russian big you might remember from last year who can move and score… but isn’t the most consistent to get himself involved in the game. He’s going to be a matchup problem for us. They don’t have a lot of effective size otherwise, especially at wing.

FAU is a pretty offensively focused team that is going to try to speed up the pace of the game and score. We can shoot and score with them, but we definitely want to dictate the pace. There is a respectable chance that the team that dictates tempo chance wins the game. It also seems unlikely they’re nearly as prepared to play a more physical game compared to what NU would be comfortable playing in the Big Ten.

Take a look at FAU’s schedule. They’ve been up and down with some big wins and some bad losses this year.

I’m personally interested in learning more about their athleticism and if NU will have both a size and athleticism advantage like we did last year against BSU, who was a good and disciplined team that could shoot and execute at a high level but didn’t have P5 athletic ability. I feel NU almost plays a little bit like a mid major within the Big Ten in that we usually can’t count on having just bigger and faster atheletes than most the teams we play and have to play styles that account for this. Last year when we ran into BSU and we were suddenly the superior athletic team, it felt like easy mode even with BSU being a good team. I’m curious if a similar dynamic is possible in this game.

Anyways, in closing, Boo is going to score 35 points and then drop 50 on UConn and we’re going to to have some serious partying to do.

Agree with DaCat. He can make threes, and it would be awesome if he made one early (especially if wide open) to keep the D honest, but I would much rather see him go to his bread and butter.

Hopefully he's shooting threes in the gym all summer and comes back next year with a new weapon.
I do NOT want to see many three attempts from Nick, Blake, and Luke like we saw a chunk of vs Wisconsin. Langborg needs to stay in the damn floor to be taking those outlet passes from Boo.

The big guy doesn’t scare me, in a general sense. NU is pretty effective and doubling and slapping at the ball and rotating, even if it’s not what they’re *best* at this year.

I am more concerned about whether Davis or any other FAU types can get to the bucket. MSU abused NU off the dribble in the second half a few weeks ago because there just isn’t any rim protection. Presumably, there will not be any more rim protection on Friday afternoon.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I saw Florida Atlantic a couple of times on TV and once in person on the road.

No overwhelming impressions but the game I saw in person there were two impressive things: board dominance and free throw %. (They got plenty of tries and must've made 90% of them. Near the end they simply didn't miss.)

Please No Martinelli 3’s unless the nearest player is in Denmark.

I disagree. Martinelli needs to become a moderately proficient outside shooter. He obviously isn’t there yet, but I suspect that’s as much about confidence as anything else. He needs to practice but he also needs to take those open shots in games.

NU is already often at a size or athleticism disadvantage in the B1G. We can’t have guys on the court opponents can ignore outside. And when they collapse on Brooks or our next PG, Nick needs the ability to punish them.

Just as when they collapse on Nick, Brooks can punish them. And Ty (god, please come back) can punish them when they collapse on either of the other two.

That’s the kind of dangerous we want and need.

We can’t have guys on the court opponents can ignore outside.
That's probably why Hunger occasionally takes a three. He can make them but usually doesn't, but sometimes even the threat is all we need. I hope along with Martinelli practicing the three this summer, Hunger does as well (though he should be spending more time on his defense - he's got a lot of work to do but I'm cautiously optimistic).

Reactions: EagerFan
I disagree. Martinelli needs to become a moderately proficient outside shooter. He obviously isn’t there yet, but I suspect that’s as much about confidence as anything else. He needs to practice but he also needs to take those open shots in games.

NU is already often at a size or athleticism disadvantage in the B1G. We can’t have guys on the court opponents can ignore outside. And when they collapse on Brooks or our next PG, Nick needs the ability to punish them.

Just as when they collapse on Nick, Brooks can punish them. And Ty (god, please come back) can punish them when they collapse on either of the other two.

I think you’re missing a distinction in the conversations between our hopes as to how much he shoots from outside on Friday vs how much he improves this offseason

Reactions: Zootcat

For next year, sure. For Friday, I hope NM sticks with his post moves.

NU wins this game if Barnhizer and Martinelli play relatively well offensively. They will have a size advantage if FAU plays them straight up. So, if there’s a way to get Goldin out of the paint (or the game with fouls), Barnhizer and Mart should be able to back down their defenders and get points in the paint. They just need to shoot better on 5-10 footers than they did against Wisconsin.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

My point exact!

I think you’re missing a distinction in the conversations between our hopes as to how much he shoots from outside on Friday vs how much he improves this offseason
No, I see the distinction, I just disagree. If he gets the ball with a wide open look - he needs to take that shot. It would be great if it falls, it has before, but either way he needs to take it. Not a contested shot, not a shot with 24 seconds left on the clock, but if Boo drives and kicks to Nick because he is the wide open guy - he needs to shoot.

No, I see the distinction, I just disagree. If he gets the ball with a wide open look - he needs to take that shot. It would be great if it falls, it has before, but either way he needs to take it. Not a contested shot, not a shot with 24 seconds left on the clock, but if Boo drives and kicks to Nick because he is the wide open guy - he needs to shoot.
If Nick is standing a lot at the 3 point line we got a problem.

I'm with you. I don't want him shooting 3's frequently, but with Berry gone we need an additional guy that is willing to stretch the defense out. If he has an open look that arises in rhythm out of the offense, then he should take it. Otherwise it lets the defense collapse on Boo's drives too much and it becomes very difficult for us to consistently generate good looks as an offense. We can still run the plays for him to go 1v1 in the post as well, but we need someone other than Langborg that is ready to pull the trigger on the 3. Brooks or Martinelli making a couple open 3's early would be extremely helpful for their confidence in taking that shot and our ability to space the floor better for the rest of the game.

Reactions: EagerFan
I think Martinelli hit three 3s in the second half against Nebraska which helped us get a comfortable win over a good team with Berry injured. I'm not advocating that as an offensive strategy but if he gets a pass from Buie and is wide open, especially on the wing, he needs to be taking that shot.

Nick and Brooks should have a size advantage working in the paint against those smaller wings. But Hunger will have to find a way to either draw that giant Russian over, or get free for a back cut. I don’t expect him to convert those, but we need to get Ivan Drago II into foul trouble.

If Nick is standing a lot at the 3 point line we got a problem.
I get your point, but I think it's bad for the cats when any player is just standing around the 3 point line unless it's an inbounds play, a press break, or similar.

Three guys weaving while Preston/Hunger sets picks and boxes out, and Boo moves the ball is the way to be. But that does mean that periodically, within the offense, Nick will be out there and possibly getting a pass with an open look. He needs to have the confidence to take that shot.

I think if he gets a wide open look, he should do what he has done more frequently this year: use the space to drive to the hoop and either get a left handed look or spin into the post to make a post move from the drive. He does that really well.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT