ADVERTISEMENT

B1G is…not looking great

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Wisconsin probably least impressive, 7-7 approaching halftime against Buffalo.

OSU is ugh this far at Indiana, though maybe the Hoosiers are good. (!) (And OSU was just gifted an incomplete pass instead of a fumble…)

Purdue lost. MSU was fine, ran away from CMU in the second half.

As otherwise documented here, Minnesota-Nebraska was gross.

If ever there was a season for a one-win club who lost their head coach nine weeks before the season to come back and win that division, THIS IS THE YEAR.

I guess Iowa’s performance is the best so far.

Last edited:
Wisconsin probably least impressive, 7-7 approaching halftime against Buffalo.

OSU is ugh this far at Indiana, though maybe the Hoosiers are good. (!) (And OSU was just gifted an incomplete pass instead of a fumble…)

Purdue lost. MSU was fine, ran away from CMU in the second half.

As otherwise documented here, Minnesota-Nebraska was gross.

If ever there was a season for a one-win club who lost their head coach nine weeks before the season to come back and win that division, THIS IS THE YEAR.

I guess Iowa’s performance is the best so far.
Michigan looks way better than OSU, but it’s only one week.

Wisconsin looks to be the best team in the west so far. Not impressed with Nebraska, minny, Illini, Perdue, or Iowa.

My hometown team nearly beat the Fighting Berts. Amazing 4th and 4 pass as the pressured QB was falling to the ground. Sad

Eh, way too early to come to thar conclusion when so many B1G programs have new coaching staffs or a new QB, if not both.

Ryan Day is John Cooper reincarnated

While the Day Bucknuts don't match up well against a well oiled Harbaugh team, they were an unfortunate 4th quarter injury (after having already suffered other key injuries) from beating UGA.

My hometown team nearly beat the Fighting Berts. Amazing 4th and 4 pass as the pressured QB was falling to the ground. Sad
Somehow you failed to mention Casey Washington being mauled for 10-12 yards before the catch making it even more spectacular.

The P5 conference that hasn't looked great is the SEC.

Running out of teams without any losses, so the margin of error is very tight in being able to get 2 teams into the PO.

The PAC looks the deepest (8 ranked teams), so even with a 1 loss champion, looks to be pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Speaking of the PAC, 4 of their ranked teams are joining the B1G next season, and while next year is a different season with different rosters, it doesn't hurt that 6 of the current Top 10 AP ranked teams are B1G or soon to be B1G and 8 of the Top 25.

In this day and age of cord cutting and the B1G appearing on 3 networks, getting programs that attract eyeballs matter the most, hence UNC, FSU and maybe Miami being on the wish list (starting to doubt if UNC would bring enough to the table to bring UVA as a partner).

The programs from the soon to be gone B1GW need to step up, b/c if Iowa with its O is the standard bearer, it's simply embarrassing.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Big Ten looks like it always does quite frankly.

Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan look loaded and then there's lots of questions everywhere else. That's a pretty normal thing, rest of the programs are more cyclical and can go anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2 in any given year on average.

I feel like you could pick any year of the last 6 or 7 and it'd look like this.

Difference in the future is we're adding the 4 best Pac-12 programs into the mix and that means 4 above average competitors will enter the fray just as we remove divisions.

As @Katatonic says, everyone needs to step up from the Big Ten West part of the conference or we'll all just be bottom feeders once divisions are removed.

Reactions: Katatonic
^ Pretty much agree, tho would say Utah has a strong argument for being one of the 4 best programs (aside from maybe drawing viewership).

While it makes it tougher, Wisky needs to be Wisky.

Oregon St and Wash St prove that one can build a good program with the right coach despite maybe even greater disadvantages.

Reactions: zeek55
The good news is that we have a very favorable schedule to get to 5-6 wins and a bowl.

The bad thing about the conference being bad… well, there really isn’t any.

The good news is that we have a very favorable schedule to get to 5-6 wins and a bowl.

The bad thing about the conference being bad… well, there really isn’t any.
Not the way we played in weeks 1 and 3. The only games I would put money on the Cats to win right now is Illinois and Nebraska. Purdue and Minnesota are toss ups in my book. Iowa and Wisconsin are definitely losses. Maryland and PSU will be ugly! A bowl would be very nice, but we got our butts kicked by Rutgers of all teams!

Not the way we played in weeks 1 and 3. The only games I would put money on the Cats to win right now is Illinois and Nebraska. Purdue and Minnesota are toss ups in my book. Iowa and Wisconsin are definitely losses. Maryland and PSU will be ugly! A bowl would be very nice, but we got our butts kicked by Rutgers of all teams!
If we beat Howard, Illinois, Nebraska, and either Purdue or Minnesota… we’re at 5 wins.

If we win all of those, or get our historically typical upset (or two)… that gets us to 6-7 wins.

Do I think 8 wins is feasible? No. Hell no. But these Cats, they’re a band of brothers. If they put Sully in, who knows what will happen.

The Duke game sucked. I watched some of the best parts of it and have skipped the rest… so far. This season is far from over, and the conference sucks this year.

Embrace the suck!!

If we beat Howard, Illinois, Nebraska, and either Purdue or Minnesota… we’re at 5 wins.

If we win all of those, or get our historically typical upset (or two)… that gets us to 6-7 wins.

Do I think 8 wins is feasible? No. Hell no. But these Cats, they’re a band of brothers. If they put Sully in, who knows what will happen.

The Duke game sucked. I watched some of the best parts of it and have skipped the rest… so far. This season is far from over, and the conference sucks this year.

Embrace the suck!!
Or we might only beat Howard

Or we might only beat Howard
If you want to be a pessimist, well we could lose to them too.

But, realistically, 2-10 should be our floor.

7-5 is our ceiling… 8-4 with a miracle.

We’ll see what the team does against Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT